Inception (spoilers!)

What would you give Inception?

• Total voters
Don't know if this has been posted already, but here's the infamous Uncle Scrooge comic, available to read online, entirely legally.

It's definitely a complete coincidence, but it's worth a read because it also has some very interesting ideas regarding the laws of dream worlds and the power dreams have over us. Especially for what's supposed to be a kid's comic.

It's actually pretty good, and uses the whole "Heist in a guy's dreams" in completely different ways to INCEPTION.

Seeing it a second time is just as awesome, and I definitely started picking up on clues (of course).

Last edited:
Did anyone mention the wedding ring scenes in this thread yet? I haven't seen it the second time but my buddy says to watch which scenes he has his wedding ring on and you'll know the outcome of the end.

Great, now I'm going to be focusing on his hands for the entire movie next time I see it. What does it mean if he has his wedding ring on though?

I finally saw this today, I loved it. I only two problems, the exposition with Ellen Page's character finding out about Cobb's stuff was a bit rush but they didn't waste the extra time given. And it didn't blow my mind as much as I thought it would. I love the rules applied to dream sharing and how it was utilized. The zero gravity sequences were unbelievable. not once did it look like wires or cgi. They had to filmed that in the vomet comet. And I just over loved how this was a heist movie with a twist. Overall brilliant.

Also: Inception: Hijinks

Last edited:
Great, now I'm going to be focusing on his hands for the entire movie next time I see it. What does it mean if he has his wedding ring on though?

I'm not sure if it was on or off when he's not dreaming. The outcome suggests that
He's not dreaming
Don't read that if you want to test it for yourself I guess. I still need to see it a second time in the theater.

This whole "Was it or wasn't it?"; Let's take a look at this movie from Nolan's point of view.

If he shows the top spinning without any wobble, and keeps the shot going on long, then cuts away we go, "It's a dream!!!!!" :(

If he shows the top spin, wobble, and fall, then cuts away we go, "It's real!!!!!!!" :D

If he shows the top spin, wobble, and then suddenly cuts away we go, "?!? I dunno if it's real or not!"

So there are the only three options available. So why did he pick the last one? Because he couldn't be bothered to work it out? To make us guess? Or is it simply this; either definite answer would simply be less satisfying. If it falls, the movie is too happy. If it doesn't fall, the movie becomes a big '**** you' and somewhat pointless. But the doubt is what's central to Cobb's character since the idea "Is this real or a dream" is the idea he incepted twice in the movie (once in Saito, and once in Moll).

The way I see it is that it's a joke like the end of BACK TO THE FUTURE. That movie ends with "We don't need roads" but didn't originally end with "To be continued", as no sequels were planned. It's just a gag.

I look at this the same way. It's clear Cobb's happy and everything's turned out great, but it's just a little tease at the end to bring us back into the story one last time and incept the idea that it's not real in us like Cobb did before.

Personally, I'd love a sequel (EXTRACTION?). And they can do it without answering the "dream or real" question of INCEPTION simply because even if Cobb made it out and the ending is real, he wouldn't be involved in another heist. So you could do a sequel with almost every character and no one would ever need to mention Cobb and Cobb wouldn't be in it and it would be fine. I just want to see another dream heist. I think there's lots of fun to be had there.

Personally, I'd love a sequel (EXTRACTION?). And they can do it without answering the "dream or real" question of INCEPTION simply because even if Cobb made it out and the ending is real, he wouldn't be involved in another heist. So you could do a sequel with almost every character and no one would ever need to mention Cobb and Cobb wouldn't be in it and it would be fine. I just want to see another dream heist. I think there's lots of fun to be had there.

I'd love to see a sequel, and it could TOTALLY be done without Cobb. I actually had an idea of what it could involve.

One of the things I loved about Inception was it was this trippy, awesome action movie with tremendously high-feeling stakes that was ultimately hinged on something incredibly mundane: getting someone to change their mind. In the sequel, in order to draw an analogy to something new to be tried with the dream-sharing technology like "inception" was, I think it'd be cool to go back into someone's brain for an equally mundane task: getting someone to forget something. You could have the extractors enter the dream world with the intent of assassinating the part of that person's subconscious that knows that bit of information. Lots of possibilities there...

Does anyone remember if it ever makes it clear in the movie how far in the past Mal killed herself and Cobb had to go into hiding?

The reason I ask is because when Cobb sees his kids at the end of the movie they are the exact same age as they when he sees them right before he has to go into hiding...they may even be wearing the same clothes even.
To me at least this seems to point to the fact that maybe this isn't reality, depending on what age the kids should be at that point. But again, I'm not sure the movie ever makes it clear how much time has passed since Mal died.

I'd love to see a sequel, and it could TOTALLY be done without Cobb. I actually had an idea of what it could involve.

One of the things I loved about Inception was it was this trippy, awesome action movie with tremendously high-feeling stakes that was ultimately hinged on something incredibly mundane: getting someone to change their mind. In the sequel, in order to draw an analogy to something new to be tried with the dream-sharing technology like "inception" was, I think it'd be cool to go back into someone's brain for an equally mundane task: getting someone to forget something. You could have the extractors enter the dream world with the intent of assassinating the part of that person's subconscious that knows that bit of information. Lots of possibilities there...
Trying to force someone to forget is perfect, new, and hasn't been explored in this movie. Damn that's a good idea.
Does anyone remember if it ever makes it clear in the movie how far in the past Mal killed herself and Cobb had to go into hiding?

The reason I ask is because when Cobb sees his kids at the end of the movie they are the exact same age as they when he sees them right before he has to go into hiding...they may even be wearing the same clothes even.
To me at least this seems to point to the fact that maybe this isn't reality, depending on what age the kids should be at that point. But again, I'm not sure the movie ever makes it clear how much time has passed since Mal died.
I looked around the net a bit and I recall reading that the wardrobe person gave an interview saying they were wearing different clothes and that there were different actors playing the kids in the finally scene. But I'm not too sure about that last one though.

Also:

inception.jpg

Very good.

As Random said, I think it's safe to say that it's been confirmed that they're different actors.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best INCEPTION gag I've seen. :lol:

I've also been thinking quite a bit about a sequel for Inception and I think the best thing they could possibly do is introduce a force of truly despicable malevolence into the playing field. Now that we have the rules and the concepts of how shared dreams work, introduce the ultimate villain for our heroes (who absolutely don't have to be all of the same characters from the first film) to face, just like the Joker in The Dark Knight.

If done correctly, we could once and for all have a movie about a guy who haunts your dreams, that doesn't completely suck.

Last edited:
I saw this for the fourth time today (my mom hadn't seen it yet), and Manwithoutfear is right: Cobb has a wedding ring on during the dream sequences and flashbacks. I think maybe the ring is Cobb's totem.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;zLDx-BPgxxA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLDx-BPgxxA[/video]

Latest posts

Back