Invincible

Fuzzy Birds

I've always heard about this comic, but have never really shown much interest in it, until today when I stumbled onto the first issue online. A really light hearted read, with amazing artwork, very reminiscent of Stuart Immonen, one of my favourites. So, I'm strongly considering picking up the first few trades and continuing from issue 25.

Anyone else read this? Also, I wouldn't mind checking out one or two more series, something un-Marvel, and something that isn't set in a vast, continuity heavy universe like DC. I considered Walking Dead, but don't really like horror or survival type stories.

Invincible is a great comic! It's a fabulous super hero comic book that doesn't take itself too seriously. And if you like Invincible, you'll definately like other stuff written by Robert Kirkman, like Brit and Capes. They all take place in the same universe and make sense with each other but you don't have to know anything to read any of them. But it does add a little depth to Invincible to read Brit and Capes first.

Kirkman's Battle Pope is also really great but it has nothing to do with the others mentioned here.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there is a hardcover book called "Invincible: The Ultimate Collection Vol. 1" which collects the first three TPB's = the first 13 issues. I'm expecting it from Amazon right now (cannot wait!).

Last edited:
Yeah I just noticed that Hardcover. I'm thinking that plus TPB's 4 and 5 will bring me right up to date with issue 25. Now, if only I had the money....

Fuzzy Birds said:
Yeah I just noticed that Hardcover. I'm thinking that plus TPB's 4 and 5 will bring me right up to date with issue 25. Now, if only I had the money....

if you can wait, save up for the hardcovers...issue 25 will be the next comic i buy but im on a budget right now until usm comes around again.

im still waiting to pick up the hardcover, and the walking dead is coming out in hardcover in december if i read the leter pages right.

and what type of the things do you like to read fuzzy? and we'll help you out. (i have branched out A LOT recently...)

Well right now, I'm after something that doesn't take place in a popular, established universe, something that exists within it's own universe. It also has to be something that's still relatively early in it's run, I can't afford to buy 50 or something issues in TPB form to catch up. Preferably something superheroic, although I'd settle for something fantasy or science fiction based.

I've been considering Planetary and Y: The Last Man, although both are now pretty far into their runs. I'm also interested in Fables, and a couple others in the Vertigo line.

So far, Invincible seems to be the one that's got my interests piqued the most. I'm looking to sell a load of old DVDs soon, hopefully that should pick up the tab for the hardcover and two TPBs.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Well right now, I'm after something that doesn't take place in a popular, established universe, something that exists within it's own universe. It also has to be something that's still relatively early in it's run, I can't afford to buy 50 or something issues in TPB form to catch up. Preferably something superheroic, although I'd settle for something fantasy or science fiction based.

I've been considering Planetary and Y: The Last Man, although both are now pretty far into their runs. I'm also interested in Fables, and a couple others in the Vertigo line.

So far, Invincible seems to be the one that's got my interests piqued the most. I'm looking to sell a load of old DVDs soon, hopefully that should pick up the tab for the hardcover and two TPBs.

Y: the lat man is up to issue 35 or 36 and its only going up to 60, thats all they have it slated for.

besides this i have 100 bullets, its more of a crime, underground, gangster, story, they just came out with the 8th tb.

runaways, do i need to say more?

Girls, this is put out by image and done by the Luna Brothers there on the 4th one right now. if you want to know more i'll pm you cuz its not 'kid' freindly

Runaways I get and enjoy, along with Supreme Power and Exiles, it's the only non Ultimate, fairly self contained book I read.

Girls I've heard about, and also Ultra before that, but I'm not sure on either of them. Ultra seems to gimmicky to me, while Girls sounds like more of a horror/ sci fi.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Runaways I get and enjoy, along with Supreme Power and Exiles, it's the only non Ultimate, fairly self contained book I read.

Girls I've heard about, and also Ultra before that, but I'm not sure on either of them. Ultra seems to gimmicky to me, while Girls sounds like more of a horror/ sci fi.

so far it's neither, i'm still trying to track down the 1st prints....i'll pm you some info on...

Fuzzy Birds said:

Battle Pope. It'll blow your freakin' socks off.

Invincible rocks. I've read the first 20-something issues.

I just read the first HC of Invincible (Hardcover whore here...) and it was damn good. I'm talking good enough that I want to start picking it up monthy... Damn you kirkman, for gettng me to buy your comics!

And the Walking Dead HC will be shipping inearly december according to the last issues letter pages.

Okay, I honestly feel that I shouldn't enjoy Invincible. It's often cloying, frequently derivative, and it doesn't even have the benefit of partiuclarly well-developed characters beyond Mark and his family. (His love interests are particularly bland, especially compared to Ultimate Gwen and Ultimate MJ.) And yet, I find myself really, really liking it, in spite of these flaws.

Seriously, there's nothing particularly unique about
JLA analogs being slaughtered, or a killer robot going berzerk in a university, or Watchmen parodies, or applying superhero physics to father-son bonding sessions.
But somehow none of this bothers me -- there's joy, and warmth, and basic sense of human-ness to it all that makes me not care that I've seen it all before a million times.

I'm not about to jump on the 'Invincible is soooooo under-appreciated' bandwagon, because if that were really true, there wouldn't be a market to support a HC release.

But I'll definitely concede that it's worth reading, if you want to be reminded about the simple wonder that makes the strong-men-in-tights genre so appealing, in the first place.

compound said:
Okay, I honestly feel that I shouldn't enjoy Invincible. It's often cloying, frequently derivative, and it doesn't even have the benefit of partiuclarly well-developed characters beyond Mark and his family. (His love interests are particularly bland, especially compared to Ultimate Gwen and Ultimate MJ.) And yet, I find myself really, really liking it, in spite of these flaws.

Seriously, there's nothing particularly unique about
JLA analogs being slaughtered, or a killer robot going berzerk in a university, or Watchmen parodies, or applying superhero physics to father-son bonding sessions.
But somehow none of this bothers me -- there's joy, and warmth, and basic sense of human-ness to it all that makes me not care that I've seen it all before a million times.

I'm not about to jump on the 'Invincible is soooooo under-appreciated' bandwagon, because if that were really true, there wouldn't be a market to support a HC release.

But I'll definitely concede that it's worth reading, if you want to be reminded about the simple wonder that makes the strong-men-in-tights genre so appealing, in the first place.

You care about comics too much.

I got the first trade of this today and I thought it was pretty good. It was a little boring, but their was something oddly likeable about the whole thing. Plus, it was pretyy funny...

Who has a list of all Invincible's appearances? So far I've come up with this list:

Invincible #1
Invincible #2
Invincible #3
Invincible #4
Invincible #5
Invincible #6
Invincible #7
Invincible #8
Invincible #9
Invincible #10
Invincible #11
Invincible #12
Invincible #13
Invincible #14
Invincible #15
FCBD Image Comics Special #1
Invincible #16
Invincible #17
Invincible #18
Invincible #19
Invincible #20
Invincible #21
Invincible #22
Invincible #23
Invincible #24
Invincible #0
Invincible #25
Invincible #26
Invincible #27
Marvel Team-Up #14

But does the character tend to cross over with other titles often, or have characters appear from other Image titles? Like Vintsukka mentioned, this takes place in the same universe as Brit and Capes? How so do they make mention of each other? Just wondering, as I've been interested in picking up this title for awhile now, and want to be a completist.

Last edited:
It wasn't UMTU, it was MTU. I think he's practically in his own corner of the universe, like most of Image's comics.

DIrishB said:
Like Vintsukka mentioned, this takes place in the same universe as Brit and Capes? How so do they make mention of each other?
The only one with a guest appearance by Invincible I can remember off the bat is Brit Vol. 3: Red White Black & Blue, where there's an invasion by an alien race and there's a big fight scene with Brit and his supporting cast, Savage Dragon, SuperPatriot, Invincible and the new Guardians of the Globe, and also a couple of the Capes guys.

Brit and the Capes dudes also appear shortly in Invincible when his dad tells him about his past adventures. In fact the Capes reference of a fight against Chronodile is also mentioned in Capes. And SuperPatriot and his wife appear shortly too.

Oh yeah, and there are several references to Guardians of the Globe in both Brit and Capes but I think they are actually seen only the one time in Brit I mentioned.

Those are the only referenced between the titles I can remember right now, but yeah, they tie pretty tightly together. I haven't read Savage Dragon or SuperPatriot (yet, anyway) so I don't know if there's something there.

EDIT: And I almost forgot, there's a funeral in Invincible where among the mourners are Savage Dragon, SuperPatriot and at least one guy from Capes. And also a bunch of people I don't recognise, so they could be from some other comic. Or not.

If you wanna be a completist, I suggest you pick up Brit and Capes too. If you like Invincible, you're gonne love those too. They're both just 3 issues long, and I hear Capes is gonna continue as back-up stories to Invincible.

Last edited:
ProjectX2 said:
It wasn't UMTU, it was MTU.

Duh, edited it.

I think he's practically in his own corner of the universe, like most of Image's comics.

Hmmm, ok.

vintsukka said:
The only one with a guest appearance by Invincible I can remember off the bat is Brit Vol. 3: Red White Black & Blue, where there's an invasion by an alien race and there's a big fight scene with Brit and his supporting cast, Savage Dragon, SuperPatriot, Invincible and the new Guardians of the Globe, and also a couple of the Capes guys.

Brit and the Capes dudes also appear shortly in Invincible when his dad tells him about his past adventures. In fact the Capes reference of a fight against Chronodile is also mentioned in Capes. And SuperPatriot and his wife appear shortly too.

Oh yeah, and there are several references to Guardians of the Globe in both Brit and Capes but I think they are actually seen only the one time in Brit I mentioned.

Those are the only referenced between the titles I can remember right now, but yeah, they tie pretty tightly together. I haven't read Savage Dragon or SuperPatriot (yet, anyway) so I don't know if there's something there.

EDIT: And I almost forgot, there's a funeral in Invincible where among the mourners are Savage Dragon, SuperPatriot and at least one guy from Capes. And also a bunch of people I don't recognise, so they could be from some other comic. Or not.

If you wanna be a completist, I suggest you pick up Brit and Capes too. If you like Invincible, you're gonne love those too. They're both just 3 issues long, and I hear Capes is gonna continue as back-up stories to Invincible.

Cool, thanks Vint.

Latest posts

Back