IRON MAN 3 discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Iron Man 3?

• Total voters
I feel like I'm the only person who likes Iron Man 2 more than the Incredible Hulk. However, Iron Man 3 already sounds better than Iron Man 2.

E said:
I'm concerned about it too, considering the dropoff in quality between the first and second. Iron Man 2 stopped short of being Spider-Man 3 bad but it was on the way.

Yes, the end result of IM2 felt rushed. I still enjoyed it, though. I loved the Mark V nod to Silver Centurion. I'm forever impressed with Adi Granov and Co for their concepts. That being said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and staying hopeful. The director and his abilities are fine. I'm concerned cause many reports are saying the villain is NOT Mandarin, in which case, is this story going to negate the first two? Another thing, I don't know how well "loosely based" on Extremis is going to translate onto film. I am a huge Granov fan and he and Warren Ellis relaunched my love for IM. I just hope and pray they don't ruin what made that arc so great for me. I suppose I'll ask him if he's hired to work on this one, and if it stays faithful. Of course I will keep you all informed of what he is able to divulge.

From what I've read elsewhere, while the villain is not the Mandarin,
there is a villainous organization called The Mandarin
. Or something like that. That might be completely wrong, but it sounds very plausible.

This is actually sounding better and better the more I hear about it, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was brilliant, Kingsley, Pearce, and Chastain are great. and going with Extremis sounds really interesting

I don't mind them turning away from the Mandarin, aside from the ten rings references in IM1 it hasn't really been built too at all, so they could easily go somewhere else with the movies big bad

I am a little choked that they're baking away from the alchoholism angle, but I digress they still want the character to remain likeable to kids and families

Plus with the Avengers out of the way, maybe there will be less editorial mandates getting in the way of the plot

Last edited:
Iron Man 2 also had interference from Marvel, unlike Iron Man 1 where Fav had "more room" to do it how he envisioned it.

That's what concerns me. It's not anything to do with the director or producer or anyone else attached to it, and it's not anything specific to do with Marvel interfering. It's that they interfered, and the movie was not as good.

I liked Iron Man 2.

I did too. I just didn't like it as much as the first one and it felt more like a cheap comic book movie, whereas the first Iron Man was pretty much the first Marvel movie that *didn't* feel like a cheap comic book movie.

I did too. I just didn't like it as much as the first one and it felt more like a cheap comic book movie, whereas the first Iron Man was pretty much the first Marvel movie that *didn't* feel like a cheap comic book movie.

Really? I felt like it stumbled a lot. The Avengers advertisement that dominated the second act and the whole "Iron Man DJing" thing were silly but at the same time, Iron Man was hardly a movie in the running for an academy award. It was a typical origin story with a nonsensical antagonist buoyed by good direction and Robert Downey's charm.

IM2, for all its flaws, had hands down the best cast of any of the lead-ins and the moments they're given to chew up the scenery are better than anything else Marvel has put on camera.

From what I've read elsewhere, while the villain is not the Mandarin,
there is a villainous organization called The Mandarin
. Or something like that. That might be completely wrong, but it sounds very plausible.

Jon Favreau's idea for the Mandarin is ****ing excellent. I hope they're using it. It is sort of what you're suggesting.

CBR:

"Iron Man" and "Iron Man 2" director and "Iron Man 3" producer Jon Favreau spoke to The Hollywood Reporter about the overall tone of "Iron Man 3" and what to expect following the box office smash of "The Avengers."

"After 'Avengers,' you want to start with something really bold and inspired, and if you've ever seen 'Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang,' you've seen that when [Robert] Downey and Shane [Black] get together, interesting and unexpected things happen," Favreau told THR. "I'm happy to see that it's taking a bit of a tonal shift from 'The Avengers' and it's going to be something completely different and exciting, and I'm happy to be a part of it. … Shane and Robert definitely have an original point of view and an original take on the character, and I think it delves deeper into what makes Tony Stark tick and plays on the unexpected original unpredictable quality of the character that I think fans gravitate to. … I'll be very involved on ['Iron Man 3']. I've already been talking to them and I feel a tremendous connection to that franchise and that character, and I'm very proud to see it moving forward in a way that re-enforces that story."

Extremis is my favorite Iron Man story but if they don't handle this carefully it could be a disaster. Extremis basically gives you powers (more like enhancements a la Captain America but very similar). The great thing about Tony Stark is that he's just a regular really smart guy in a cool machine suit. I don't want him to have any kind of power; it would ruin the character. I read Ultimate Iron Man.

Warren Ellis took the enhancement thing just far enough without ruining Tony Stark. I'm not sure someone else won't.

With Favreau still heavily involved, I'm sure he'll do good by the story.

And since he's still going to be a part of the movie, that means food chances for him to still play Happy. I hope...

Jon Favreau's idea for the Mandarin is ****ing excellent. I hope they're using it. It is sort of what you're suggesting.

Yep. I was just watching Iron Man on tv a week or so ago and I caught a reference to an organization called "the 10 rings". Sounds like the Mandarin organization to me.

E said:
Extremis is my favorite Iron Man story but if they don't handle this carefully it could be a disaster. Extremis basically gives you powers (more like enhancements a la Captain America but very similar). The great thing about Tony Stark is that he's just a regular really smart guy in a cool machine suit. I don't want him to have any kind of power; it would ruin the character. I read Ultimate Iron Man.

Warren Ellis took the enhancement thing just far enough without ruining Tony Stark. I'm not sure someone else won't.

Thank you! Those are my exact concerns. We'll see how it goes. If they use the artist as a consultant, I'll be a little more at ease. I've seen what he did for IM, IM2, and Avengers. As long as they don't stray from what he did, it should be fine.

he's playing Coldblood.

I've never heard of him.

Me either. But...

Look away now if you don't want to know whom Dale has signed on to play… He's going to be a villain named Eric Savin who, in the comics was introduced as an Army colonel badly inured by a landmine while investigating a high-tech conspiracy. He was rebuilt as a powerful cyborg named Coldblood-7 who had dealings with S.H.I.E.L.D. in his time. Of course, it's entirely possible that director Shane Black and co-writer Drew Pearce have merely appropriated the name, and Dale may never end up becoming a cyborg. It's more likely that he'll be the person injected with nanobots that causes trouble for Tony Stark.

That fits in nicely with Tony's disillusionment with Fury and SHIELD.

Jon Favreau with some Happy news...

Atsl8ekCMAAr_8E.jpg

Last edited:
If the threat he fights using Extremis is Iron Patriot instead of some variation of Malen from the original story I will be so, so, SO disappointed.

If the threat he fights using Extremis is Iron Patriot instead of some variation of Malen from the original story I will be so, so, SO disappointed.

I keep tossing this around in my head trying to figure out how Iron Patriot can be shoe horned in and still have it be acceptable and I am unable to think of anything.

Latest posts

Back