Is the Ultimate Universe just disgusting now?

The Overlord

Is the Ultimate Universe just disgusting now? Is Loeb trying to mkae the UU different by putting in as much disgusting content as he can? So far, we have had a sex tape, open incest, Mastermind being a rapist, Blob eating Wasp, Giant Man biting Blob's head off, etc under Loeb's pen.

What's next, beastility?!

Is the Ultimate Universe just disgusting now? Is Loeb trying to mkae the UU different by putting in as much disgusting content as he can? So far, we have had a sex tape, open incest, Mastermind being a rapist, Blob eating Wasp, Giant Man biting Blob's head off, etc under Loeb's pen.

What's next, beastility?!

Beast did date storm, so I guess we already have that.

This is the best title ever. :lol:

Well, to be fair, the incestuous relationship between Pietro and Wanda was implied from the beginning. That was all Millar. It just wasn't brought out into the open until Loeb. And the Hulk always ate people, so I suppose it wasn't a stetch that Blob would, too (Although, it was really never implied in his character).

The sex tape could have been interesting if handled properly. Mastermind being a rapist is rubbish.

Mainly, though, it's just the ham-handed attempt to make the UU "XTREMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" that's lame. Loeb is trying way, way too hard.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, the incestuous relationship between Pietro and Wanda was implied from the beginning. That was all Millar. It just wasn't brought out into the open until Loeb.
EXACTLY.

There must be something wrong with you as a writer if you manage to make Mark Millar look subtle.

EXACTLY.

There must be something wrong with you as a writer if you manage to make Mark Millar look subtle.

Word.

I'll never forget when one of the covers for Ultimates 3 was shown, and it was the robots face one (maybe it was a page; I don't remember). My 5-year old saw it and thought it was the most awesome thing ever. And I thought, "this is what you're appealing to, Loeb. 5 year olds who don't know any better."

Well, to be fair, the incestuous relationship between Pietro and Wanda was implied from the beginning. That was all Millar. It just wasn't brought out into the open until Loeb. And the Hulk always ate people, so I suppose it wasn't a stetch that Blob would, too (Although, it was really never implied in his character).

The sex tape could have been interesting if handled properly. Mastermind being a rapist is rubbish.

Mainly, though, it's just the ham-handed attempt to make the UU "XTREMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" that's lame. Loeb is trying way, way too hard.

The problem is with the incest thing is better when it just hinted at, for all we knew, SW and Quicksilver could have just being trying to screw with the other Ultimates and not really in a incestuous relationship or maybe they were just odd and not in an incestuous relationship. Out and out saying it makes it go from kinda fun to really icky.

Plus you never saw Hulk eat anyone, you saw Blob feasting on Wasp's intestines. Its just better when its implied instead of seeing every gory detail.

The problem is with the incest thing is better when it just hinted at, for all we knew, SW and Quicksilver could have just being trying to screw with the other Ultimates and not really in a incestuous relationship or maybe they were just odd and not in an incestuous relationship. Out and out saying it makes it go from kinda fun to really icky.

Plus you never saw Hulk eat anyone, you saw Blob feasting on Wasp's intestines. Its just better when its implied instead of seeing every gory detail.

It would be different if Garth Ennis wrote it though, and we would accept the gore.

I think Blob should've been eating people from the get go. I really don't have a problem with that at all. The incest thing though... I don't even know if Millar started it. I always thought they were just really tight siblings considering everything they've been through together.

so I suppose it wasn't a stetch that Blob would, too (Although, it was really never implied in his character).

Go and reread Ultimate X-Men vol 2. I forget if it was Wraith or not, but Bloib was gonna eat whoever was in the helicopter he grabbed near the end. He said something like "Wanna see how I maintain my sexy four figure body mass?"

Is the Ultimate Universe just disgusting NOW?

No.

Its been disgusting for awhile.

Highlights, I think, one of the problems with the whole trend to make everything "dark", "gritty", "adult", etc.... in the hands of some writers, that just means throwing in more violence, more sexuality, and contantly having to up the ante.

Granted, it isn't easy to define in specific ways, but I think that the best writers who work "dark" have something more to offer than JUST amping up the violence, sexuality and depravity. And the trouble is, if that (violence, sexuality, depravity) is pretty much ALL you have to offer, then you DO have to keep dialing it up, in order to shock, or to seem edgy.

If you reread, say, WATCHMEN today, you aren't going to find the onscreen material all that "outrageous". Same for DARK KNIGHT returns. They are still great reads, mind you - just saying that what you see on the page would hardly raise an eyebrow today, in terms of the level of violence or sexuality. But they aren't really DEFINED by that, although that content is often commented upon. There is something more there, a LOT more there, than just shock value, or "isn't that twisted" moments.

Not bashing Loeb per se. I think the trend is pretty common these days, what with "dark and gritty" being all the rage. I wonder if we are due for a really talented artist/writer team to come along and "surprise" everyone with an almost old-school optimistic take on heroism... might seem pretty novel these days. I think the Morrison/Quietly run on SUPERMAN had some of that flavor going for it.....

Shadow

Last edited:
Plus you never saw Hulk eat anyone, you saw Blob feasting on Wasp's intestines. Its just better when its implied instead of seeing every gory detail.[/QUOTE]
In Ultimates 13, they do show Hulk eating Kleiser although it"s not as graphic as the Blob devouring Wasp. It also looked like Hulk was eating some of The Abombination after he punched his head off.

go and reread ultimate x-men vol 2. I forget if it was wraith or not, but bloib was gonna eat whoever was in the helicopter he grabbed near the end. He said something like "wanna see how i maintain my sexy four figure body mass?"

in ultimates 13, they do show hulk eating kleiser although it"s not as graphic as the blob devouring wasp. It also looked like hulk was eating some of the abombination after he punched his head off.

Stop Defending Loeb!!!!!

Aaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back