Is UFF the nail in the coffin?

shadyd1224 said:
how do we know timetravel will never happen? because the one guy who invented it would own stock in every company and every key issue comic

well, if they can make a time machine, than hopefully they would also be smart enough to be more subtle in taking advantage of the situation. :)

One reason the Ultimate Universe was born was to make it 'more' realistic. Now, with Spider-Man they did an excellent job, a genetically enhanced spider (instead of radioacticve, which now we know would just give Peter cance), he tells his girlfriend rightaway (which is what any sex-deprived anti-social teenager would do if he stumbled apon powers and needed a girlfriend), and placed the villans further away from Spider-Man when it comes to personal basis (until they find out who he is, which also is more realistic).
They did it with the X-Men, adapting terrorist ideas to the Brotherhood and using the acctual President rather than a politically correct female president. They even gave the X-Men more believable identities (i.e. Storm is a car theif).
The Ultimates were also done in abelieveable fashion, tieing them into the military, and they even presented Aliens ina decnent way.
Ultimate Dd and Elektra were also done in a fashion that was made more believeable due to the legalities and all that.
As corney as UFF has been, it is more scientificly accurate than the rest. A negative zone, has been theorized and so has parrallel dimensions that hod our dimension in place or whatever. The only thing that cannot possiblr work is the time travel, but hey there are somethings you just have to look past. Like Dr. Strange and Thor acctually are magic based.
Remember it's a more realistic look at an unrealistic story. Take Thor for example. If he is infact the thunder god of the Norse religion, then they've played it off realisticly. Think about it, how would the world react to a norse god revieling himslef. The extreameists would follow him as thier new messiah, and the military would see him as a threat. A thunder god it's self is a very unrealistic venture, humans mutating into psychic and stuff is more realistic than a god of thunder, but it's how would people respond to an acctual Thunder god showing up. Have I made any sense, or been claer with what I'm trying to say?

Hawkeye101 said:
One reason the Ultimate Universe was born was to make it 'more' realistic. Now, with Spider-Man they did an excellent job, a genetically enhanced spider (instead of radioacticve, which now we know would just give Peter cance),

Because if you were bitten by a genetically enhanced spider, you'd get super powers. Probably you'd get some kind of super-poison that antidotes didn't work on and you'd die or if the spider wasn't originally poisonous, it'd probably have no extra effect.

But that's nitpicking.

You're post is actually very lucid and I agree completely. Realism often gets confused with actuality. The Ultimate line has never been actuality, about making Marvel more like the real world we inhabit, but by making the Marvel universe more realistic, by making it consistent, well-thought out and possessed of consequence and reaction.

Or something. Hawkeye said it better.

Bass said:
You're post is actually very lucid and I agree completely. Realism often gets confused with actuality. The Ultimate line has never been actuality, about making Marvel more like the real world we inhabit, but by making the Marvel universe more realistic, by making it consistent, well-thought out and possessed of consequence and reaction.

Or something. Hawkeye said it better.

*bows*
No, you most certainly put it better.
What would be the most realistic approach to .... whatever the super-human, super-science world will throw at you. The best example being that the military would want super-human soldiers in the army.

Hawkeye101 said:
One reason the Ultimate Universe was born was to make it 'more' realistic. Now, with Spider-Man they did an excellent job, a genetically enhanced spider (instead of radioacticve, which now we know would just give Peter cance), he tells his girlfriend rightaway (which is what any sex-deprived anti-social teenager would do if he stumbled apon powers and needed a girlfriend), and placed the villans further away from Spider-Man when it comes to personal basis (until they find out who he is, which also is more realistic).
They did it with the X-Men, adapting terrorist ideas to the Brotherhood and using the acctual President rather than a politically correct female president. They even gave the X-Men more believable identities (i.e. Storm is a car theif).
The Ultimates were also done in abelieveable fashion, tieing them into the military, and they even presented Aliens ina decnent way.
Ultimate Dd and Elektra were also done in a fashion that was made more believeable due to the legalities and all that.
As corney as UFF has been, it is more scientificly accurate than the rest. A negative zone, has been theorized and so has parrallel dimensions that hod our dimension in place or whatever. The only thing that cannot possiblr work is the time travel, but hey there are somethings you just have to look past. Like Dr. Strange and Thor acctually are magic based.
Remember it's a more realistic look at an unrealistic story. Take Thor for example. If he is infact the thunder god of the Norse religion, then they've played it off realisticly. Think about it, how would the world react to a norse god revieling himslef. The extreameists would follow him as thier new messiah, and the military would see him as a threat. A thunder god it's self is a very unrealistic venture, humans mutating into psychic and stuff is more realistic than a god of thunder, but it's how would people respond to an acctual Thunder god showing up. Have I made any sense, or been claer with what I'm trying to say?

Just because there are supernatural and divine aspects in the UU does not make it unrealistic. It's like saying that the entire world today is totally secular, everything can be explained by science and 100% sure that there is no such thing as God.

Instead in order to make the supernatural more believable, it only has to be something that is subtle and hidden behind the scenes with only a select few really seeing anything blatantly ethereal. It will only get unrealistic when we see ghosts and gods running around New York at a regular basis. That's why supernatural flicks like "Sixth Sense" worked, while over-the-top special effects spirits like the ones in "The Haunting" flopped.

I like how they ultimized Thor. If you put it in perspective, this is how many Jews viewed Jesus Christ a couple of thousand years ago. Christianity might seem easy to believe for many of us now, but imagine if someone claimed the exact same things right now and like Thor, and you will understand why many Jews did not believe Christ during that time. They will be disregarded as a nutjob by a majority, but there will always be a set of followers who believe his words to be true.

vintsukka said:
On a long time scale, yes, the evolution of a species is determined by survival in their environment. But if we're speaking in terms of individuals, this is how evolution works: there are a vast amount of just random freak mutations, and the ones that can adapt to the environment will survive. This is how it's always been.

If there was some sudden dramatic change in the climate of the whole planet, for example, that doesn't mean that babies would automatically be better equipped to deal with it. But maybe there would be a few mutations who would handle it better, therefor live longer and have offspring, and maybe in the long run the whole species would change to better suit the new environment.

I hope I'm making sense here, I don't know myself, I'm really tired and going to bed now.

I don't think that's gonna work out. In our world if a baby is born with one eye, or are conjoined twins, or gained some weird rare condition that gives him/her unique abilities, scientists won't say that they're the next "evolution" of the human race, but some sort of genetic anomaly.

I could have preferred some aspect of intelligent design in which certain individuals have the "mutant gene" while others do not. This mutant gene lays dormant until the individual attains a certain age, or another catalyst such as a super-solider formula (which seems to have been suggested by Doc Ock in Ultimate Six).

You know, I've ignored this thread for awhile. But seriously. What's the original question? Is UFF the nail in the Coffin? referring to what is the UU going down hill and is UFF the worst of it? **** this thread! Close it up. UFF is an awesome title and so is the UU. No reason for this! Viva the UU.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You know, I've ignored this thread for awhile. But seriously. What's the original question? Is UFF the nail in the Coffin? referring to what is the UU going down hill and is UFF the worst of it? **** this thread! Close it up. UFF is an awesome title and so is the UU. No reason for this! Viva the UU.

Other people are entitled to an opinion. Fuzzy Birds thinks UFF is the nail in the coffin, while you think DD is the best thing that's ever happened to your life. Just get on with it.

ProjectX2 said:
Other people are entitled to an opinion. Fuzzy Birds thinks UFF is the nail in the coffin, while you think DD is the best thing that's ever happened to your life. Just get on with it.

I admitted I overreacted with the 'nail in the coffin' thing, it was mostly just to get people's attention (worked!). I love UFF, it's a great title, but when I sit back and look at what it could possibly do to the UU....

And MWOF, perhaps sometimes, before posting, you should actually read what's gone before. It wasn't a question, I was simply stating that to me at least, UFF seems to be responsible, no matter who the writer, for the most over the top, (and although I hate using this word and all it's variations in a context like this), unrealistic ideas and storylines. Sure, it can be argued that much is taken from existing theories, but all the time travel and sub terranean monsters is complete bull.

Think about it. Now that UFF has shown time travel and alternate dimensions possible (and is it just me or would the time travel thing be all over the news everywhere?), how long do you think it'll be before it seeps into the rest of the UU? Bishop coming from the future, Blink coming from an alternate timeline, the Ultimates fighting Kang etc etc....

ProjectX2 said:
Fuzzy Birds thinks UFF is the nail in the coffin

He has since said that it was a poor choice of words, and that really wasn't what he meant.

cmdrjanjalani said:
Just because there are supernatural and divine aspects in the UU does not make it unrealistic. It's like saying that the entire world today is totally secular, everything can be explained by science and 100% sure that there is no such thing as God.

Instead in order to make the supernatural more believable, it only has to be something that is subtle and hidden behind the scenes with only a select few really seeing anything blatantly ethereal. It will only get unrealistic when we see ghosts and gods running around New York at a regular basis. That's why supernatural flicks like "Sixth Sense" worked, while over-the-top special effects spirits like the ones in "The Haunting" flopped.

I like how they ultimized Thor. If you put it in perspective, this is how many Jews viewed Jesus Christ a couple of thousand years ago. Christianity might seem easy to believe for many of us now, but imagine if someone claimed the exact same things right now and like Thor, and you will understand why many Jews did not believe Christ during that time. They will be disregarded as a nutjob by a majority, but there will always be a set of followers who believe his words to be true.

Very astute.

TheManWithoutFear said:

It's not that UF4 is bad, but its sci-fi tones are bringing the UU too far away from "our world". That's the premise put forth by Fuzzy. I disagree.

But it's one thing to get the subject of a thread wrong MWOF, it's another not to read it, get it wrong, then ask for it to be closed. Can you please stop being such a absolutist? It seems half your posts are asking for whatever thread you're posting in to be closed, moved, or deleted. Just for a short while at least. I still love ya. :D

Fuzzy Birds said:
I admitted I overreacted with the 'nail in the coffin' thing, it was mostly just to get people's attention (worked!).

MEDIA WHORE!

Fuzzy Birds said:
Sure, it can be argued that much is taken from existing theories, but all the time travel and sub terranean monsters is complete bull.

Says you, woman.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Think about it. Now that UFF has shown time travel and alternate dimensions possible (and is it just me or would the time travel thing be all over the news everywhere?), how long do you think it'll be before it seeps into the rest of the UU? Bishop coming from the future, Blink coming from an alternate timeline, the Ultimates fighting Kang etc etc....

Hopefully never, or if it does, it's done appropriately. It's just a question of degree. I mean, apart from the occassional mention and namedrop, when has UXM influence ULT or USM or whatever? It just doesn't happen outside of the minis (and Geldoff). Aliens haven't show up in USM or UXM and they've been around for years. You're acting as if all of this is "new" and will eventually destroy the UU credibility (as if just sheer time won't do that - albeit at a slower rate if there are only ever 6 series available at any one time) when it's had ample chance to do so already and hasn't. There's no need to complain.

ProjectX2 said:
It's got nothing to do with the one thing. Does Fuzzy actually think the UU is bad? I did read previous posts in this thread. I don't think it's "over the top at all". UFF is basicly Reed Richards characterization. The reason there's so much Sci-Fi which actually comes off as believeable is because Reed Richards is so ground breaking he can get us there and no one else can. That's why he's one of the most important characters in the UU.

Bass said:
Very astute.

It's not that UF4 is bad, but its sci-fi tones are bringing the UU too far away from "our world". That's the premise put forth by Fuzzy. I disagree.

But it's one thing to get the subject of a thread wrong MWOF, it's another not to read it, get it wrong, then ask for it to be closed. Can you please stop being such a absolutist? It seems half your posts are asking for whatever thread you're posting in to be closed, moved, or deleted. Just for a short while at least. I still love ya. :D

MEDIA WHORE!

Says you, woman.

Hopefully never, or if it does, it's done appropriately. It's just a question of degree. I mean, apart from the occassional mention and namedrop, when has UXM influence ULT or USM or whatever? It just doesn't happen outside of the minis (and Geldoff). Aliens haven't show up in USM or UXM and they've been around for years. You're acting as if all of this is "new" and will eventually destroy the UU credibility (as if just sheer time won't do that - albeit at a slower rate if there are only ever 6 series available at any one time) when it's had ample chance to do so already and hasn't. There's no need to complain.

Hey I'm not complaining. I love the book, and I do think the time travel thing and alternate universes and whatever are great, well written stories. I'm just trying to look at the whole here. You mention that UFF probably won't influence the rest of the titles, and I think that in itself is a problem. While I don't want the X Men off fighting in space, or Spidey time travelling, I find it odd that none of the FFs adventures and scientific breakthroughs are even mentioned anywhere else. It doesn't seem like it exists in the same universe as the rest of the titles.

I think a lot of you got the wrong end of the stick about my feelings on this. I'm not complaining or anything of the sort, this isn't a critique of any writers or titles or anything like that. I like to think I'm open minded, and I'm simply standing back from the small picture to see the bigger one. I think UFF has potentially open up numerous cans of worms, and it's entirely possible that this has negative ramifications on the integrity of the rest of the titles in the UU. But hey, maybe not. I'm not strictly saying 'yes' or 'no' at this point, I'm on neither side of the argument, I'm simply looking at both sides; yes this could be the nail in the coffin (for want of a better phrase), or no, this could simply have no negative side effects.

If there was ever a final nail in the Ultimate coffin, Orson Scott Card and Ultimate Iron Man would be it.

Hawkeye101 said:
Um, I acctually like the idea of Tony being a human brain.

Not a terrible idea, but it takes away all that came before. Tony was supposed to be a guy in a suit, not some bald, blue invincible little smart ***.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Not a terrible idea, but it takes away all that came before. Tony was supposed to be a guy in a suit, not some bald, blue invincible little smart ***.

Exactamundo.

(that's American for "I agree").

Latest posts

Back