Is UFF the nail in the coffin?

icemastertron said:
the Tony brain tumor thing is a million times better.

I very, very, VERY strongly disagree.

In fact, I'd probably call it the worst idea I've ever read in a comic book.

Definitely the worst in the Ultimate line, no question.

UltimateE said:
I very, very, VERY strongly disagree.

In fact, I'd probably call it the worst idea I've ever read in a comic book.

Definitely the worst in the Ultimate line, no question.
No way in hell. Having the brain being all of the body (of course, sci-fi, which was the reason Card was brought on) is better than an idea of a Venom being a cancer suit.

"I was supposed to cure people, but I will kill instead. FEAR ME!" BS. :roll:

TheManWithoutFear said:
I want you to repeat, "Tony's brain is his entire nervous system." Until you realize just how stupid of an idea that is.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And I'm not sure how anyone could rationalize that something is good because it's not as bad as something else that is totally unrelated.

UltimateE said:
Why can't he just be really smart? What does the size of his brain have to do with what is in it or how it is used. Seriously - it's such a stupid concept.

Reed Richards is even smarter than Stark - God help us if they decide that has to be explained.
Unfortunately, they've never made it clear if Reed is supposed to be smarter than Stark, just because his 616 counterpart is.

I hate to admit being so beholden to the Fantastic Four, but to me the possibility that Stark is smarter than Reed offends me. I've always felt that Stark was the corporate tactician and strategic industrialist to Reed's single-minded dedication to novelty, invention and exploration. To me, NO human on Marvel New York (or Earth for that matter) is more gifted in the sciences than Reed.

Card's twist on Tony as living brain may not be the stupidest idea ever, but it's such a blatant opening for the kind of quasi-Ayn Randian crap that he seems to perpretrate into his novels. Stupidity for the sake of his own authorial metatext.

ourchair said:
Unfortunately, they've never made it clear if Reed is supposed to be smarter than Stark, just because his 616 counterpart is

Okay, let me phrase it this way:

UltimateE said:
Reed Richards is really smart too - God help us if they decide that has to be explained.

Same point.

UltimateE said:
Okay, let me phrase it this way:

Same point.

Yeah, Reed is smart, but I do not think Ultimate Mr. Fantasic is smarter than Ultimate Iron Man. Remember Iron Man had is doctorates at age eleven. Reed was being enrolled at the Baxter building. Reed just studied one scientific concept. The N-Zone. However, Tony seems to like to douse himself with alcohol all the time. His thinking process is now a little compromised.

Hawkeye101 said:
Yeah, Reed is smart, but I do not think Ultimate Mr. Fantasic is smarter than Ultimate Iron Man. Remember Iron Man had is doctorates at age eleven. Reed was being enrolled at the Baxter building. Reed just studied one scientific concept. The N-Zone. However, Tony seems to like to douse himself with alcohol all the time. His thinking process is now a little compromised.

That's not my point - it doesn't matter who is smarter between Reed and Tony.

The point is that if it's acceptable that Reed Richards is really smart (616 or Ultimate version, doesn't matter), why is it not acceptable that Stark is?

Please don't tell me you want/need an explanation for Reed Richards' intelligence.

UltimateE said:
Same point.
Well, as much as I love the whole Morrisonian "Reed is smart because he can stretch his brain" explanation, I hope they never ever bring it up in Ultimate continuity.

What's going to happen is it'll kick off a need to explain everything. I mean, imagine if Card got his grubby paws on Ultimate Spider-Man: "Peter can invent webbing because he's connected to the hive mind of SPIDERS!!$!@%! OMG I ROCK!"

ourchair said:
Well, as much as I love the whole Morrisonian "Reed is smart because he can stretch his brain" explanation,

But he was no smarter after the accident than he was before.

ourchair said:
I hope they never ever bring it up in Ultimate continuity.

Ugh, me either.

UltimateE said:
Please don't tell me you want/need an explanation for Reed Richards' intelligence.

Please don't tell him because some of us don't want to hear it either.

Ourchair said:
I hate to admit being so beholden to the Fantastic Four, but to me the possibility that Stark is smarter than Reed offends me. I've always felt that Stark was the corporate tactician and strategic industrialist to Reed's single-minded dedication to novelty, invention and exploration. To me, NO

Agreed. That's how I always thought about it. Reed was a genius and Tony was a business man. But now they ****ed it up and Tony is a genius and now everyone's gonna wanna know who is smarter and it's gonna be Tony because he's a walking brain. :evil:

icemastertron said:
No way in hell. Having the brain being all of the body (of course, sci-fi, which was the reason Card was brought on) is better than an idea of a Venom being a cancer suit.

"I was supposed to cure people, but I will kill instead. FEAR ME!" BS. :roll:

What I didn't like Venom is they never bother explaining how the hell Spidey had the huge white spider symbol. Also I don't see how a cancer suit would grow a tongue and sharp teeth. It's probably one storyline in USM that Ellis should have wrtten instead.

ourchair said:
... it's such a blatant opening for the kind of quasi-Ayn Randian crap that he seems to perpretrate into his novels. Stupidity for the sake of his own authorial metatext.

EXPLAIN.

Latest posts

Back