Jeph Loeb, Ed McGuinness announced for Ultimates 4

Dr.Strangefate said:
Not so much...

More if your name rhymes with Thorson Pot Tard

Haha!

I do agree though that Dark Filler and Fryan Pitch are going to be a hard act to follow.

Last edited:
From Newsarama:

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/Ultimate/Ultimates4.html

And while the plan is for Vol. 4 to closely follow Vol. 3 on the schedule, Loeb explained there will be a "kind of time blip" because Ultimate Power [Loeb's team-written Supreme-verse/Ultimate Universe crossover with Brian Bendis and J. Michael Straczynski] has a direct result on Ultimates 4, and not on Vol. 3. But he added, the new volumes will be in sequential order and closely related.

Well, ain't that interesting. Supreme/Ultimate cross-over has impacts on Ultimates 4 and the new volumes will be in sequential order and closely related.

I sure hope they get thier #$!? straight at some point... That isn't what was stated to Wizard. Either that or one of them isn't reporting what was actually said...

Last edited:
I believe McGuiness worked on Mr. Majestic as well, though I am not sure.

Anyways, this looks interesting, though I wish Millar/Hitch had stayed on.

As for the question as to whether McGuiness is good at drawing tits, this appears to answer the question.

Powergirlsb4.jpg

Batman/Superman #4 or #5, I think its #4

Let's be mature and less ofensive and call them "breasts".

Victor Von Doom said:
I don't need to wait. I already love it! I LOVED LOVED LOVED their run on Superman/Batman.

So I'm hyped!!!! :rockon:

Agreed. Just today was a friend of mine's son's seventh birthday, and I bought him a set of Superman and Batman action figures (of which Batman's arms are abnormally short, as well as the capes, but otherwise they're awesomely sculpted figures) which contained a trade of what I believe is the first six issues of Superman/Batman by Loeb and McGuinness. I really enjoyed the story (especially since its the first mainstream DC comic I've read in probably ten years), and I though McGuinness' art had a nice feel to it. I look forward to his interpretation of the Ultimates. But like everyone else, I'm waiting to see Ultimates 3 before any judgements are passed on Loeb's handling of the team after Millar.

Because its not supposed to read like an ongoing. Its more structured like a movie. You have your origins/basis in the first volume.....then you go on with the stories in the next volumes.

The events are supposed to be separate and have some time in between them as opposed to say New Avengers in 616 or USM where something is going down with them like every week.

And the stories do feed into each other. The events during "Trial of the Incredible Hulk" are direct results from the events in Vol.1. Everything ties into one another as opposed to be separate stand alones like Punisher MAX.

And character development? This series has the best character development in the entire UU.

Agreed on all points.

I call this my DIB post.

I'm honored that I'm so closely related to the term "bull****" here on UC.

;)

E said:
...the Absorbing Man sketch looks pretty good. Absorbing Man was a villain in one of my first comics - an old issue of Thor - and I always had a soft spot for him. When handled correctly I think he's a great character and one that can pose a lot more problems than he normally does. I hope it's not just a matter of him dropping in for an issue...Ultimate Absorbing Man could be very cool.

Also agreed.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Not so much...

More if your name rhymes with Thorson Pot Tard

I take offense at that association!

Anyway, we'll see how this goes...

gotta say the news about U4 is excellent but fecking ed McGuinness?!??!?! what the hell are marvel thinking - following on from hitch this choice of artist is pure crap. sorry to McGuinness fans out there but his art does not belong on the ultimates!

Jackie Estacado said:
gotta say the news about U4 is excellent but fecking ed McGuinness?!??!?! what the hell are marvel thinking - following on from hitch this choice of artist is pure crap. sorry to McGuinness fans out there but his art does not belong on the ultimates!
I think with Joe Mad in between it'll work fine. He's a great transition artist between the styles.

Loeb's gonna do fine. He's practically a super star writer in the eyes of comic fans. Why do we have any reservations? Millar writes hype, Loeb is going to write much better.

Goodwill said:
Loeb's gonna do fine. He's practically a super star writer in the eyes of comic fans. Why do we have any reservations? Millar writes hype, Loeb is going to write much better.

:shock:

Goodwill said:

um.... You're kidding, right....?

While I don't agree with goody about Millar, I have to say that I am a big Loeb fan... I'm not sure what he's done outside of Supergirl and Batman/Superman that people don't like him for, and ****... you can't blame him for being distracted when his ****ing son was dying from cancer. Chances are if any of you had sons dying from cancer, you'd be pretty off-beat too. And the thing is that Supergirl and Batman/Superman weren't bad, they just weren't great...

But you know what?

I loved Daredevil:Yellow. I loved Batman: Dark Victory. I loved Batman: The Long Halloween. I loved Hush. And I loved Superman for all seasons.

I know that some people have a problem with him pulling out all of the bad guys for the Batman series, but the thing is that when he's working with characters for the first time (look at how much depth he gave the Falcones), he nails them.

He's not going to just pull a repeat of the Liberators, he's going to add his own touch to some other classic villains. But its not like he can use them like he can the Batman characters. He doenst need to give Batman villains backgrounds, but he does for characters that are showing up for the first time in a Universe. (I loved Loeb's Two-Face. It is one of the definitive Two-Faces i've ever seen in a comic book)

I have high expectations for this series (Ultimates 3 and 4, that is)

But this is going to be a great superhero comic, while Millar did a great political commentary comic. They won't be able to be measured by the same rular.

loeb's batman stories are what got me liking comics. i am excited about him writing ultimates. since i pretty much only buy ultimate universe and wouldn't buy his work if he was doing other stuff.

Victor Von Doom said:
I don't need to wait. I already love it! I LOVED LOVED LOVED their run on Superman/Batman.

You honestly liked that last storyline that Loeb did for Superman/Batman???
It was horrible & vastly delayed....just like Ultimates Vol. 4 will be!

First off, we have to see if Madureria will stay to a timetable for Ultimates Vol. 3, cause I'm still waiting on Battle Chasers #10!!!!:evil:

McEvil said:
Victor Von Doom said:

First off, we have to see if Madureria will stay to a timetable for Ultimates Vol. 3, cause I'm still waiting on Battle Chasers #10!!!!:evil:
Well, hopefuly McGuiness is already getting to work on V4, so that even if V3 falls behind once 4 starts there will be no delays.

And the monkeys will climb out of my *** and clean my house.

Last edited:
Goodwill said:
Not kidding. I'm not too big on Millar, actually, so I may seem a bit unfair.

hm.... Fair enough.

Dr. Strangefate said:
He's not going to just pull a repeat of the Liberators, he's going to add his own touch to some other classic villains. But its not like he can use them like he can the Batman characters. He doenst need to give Batman villains backgrounds, but he does for characters that are showing up for the first time in a Universe. (I loved Loeb's Two-Face. It is one of the definitive Two-Faces i've ever seen in a comic book)

Hah. Bendis has done a pretty bang-up job of proving that you don't have to provide any character background. He just keeps on churning out useless Ultimization after useless Ultimization.

I agree with you on Loeb. When he provides background and characterization to his rogues, he does a bang-up job. I'm just afraid we're going to see him grinding out useless Ultimizations in the process of developing a couple of interesting ones.

McEvil said:

Well it wasn't my favorite...but considering what Loeb was going thru in his personal life....I can understand why a silly comic might not be on the top spot of his priority list. :roll:

But other than that arc---yes. I loved every single issue he's done on that comic.

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I've read the Wizard article.

Nothing too revealing, except that they want Thor to be more of a Viking Warrior, because that's what he is. Captain America is still going to be the tough guy. Stories may include a look at Cap's past and the history of Thor.

Also, sketches alongside show Thor with his 616 hammer, and Ultimate Spider-Woman! :shock:

Latest posts

Back