Kick-Ass movie discussion (Spoilers!)

Re: Kick-*** The Movie (news discussion)

This was an incredibly fun movie, it even overcame the terrible audience I saw it with.

My god, this movie rocked. The audience i saw it with was really into it too. Hit-girl made this movie too.

You know, it really bugs me that they didn't release this like a month from now. So much of their money is intended to come from 18-25 years olds and so many of the key people I wanted to see this with are bogged down with exams, cities away, this whole half of the month. It could end up being a serious problem.

I honestly don't think it would be the worst thing in the world for this film to flop and not get a sequel. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a stand-alone movie and a sequel is only going to be a standard superhero movie with fantastical characters. There's no reason for it to have any of the realism of the first half of the first film.

There's plenty of ways they can continue the story and still have it be realistic and full of mistakes, not the least of which being the plethora of superhero imitators they talk about becoming popular. Tons of them could go totally wrong, go bad, go good, all the while dealing with the
Red Mist's semi-competant attempts to put a stranglehold on the whole situation.
I want a sequel, badly.

Last edited:

Not to be intentionally contrary to popular opinion, but I thought this was a really, really stupid movie. This sort of attempt at left brain 'realism' falls through when trying to find a healthy medium between what you can do in a major Hollywood motion picture and the infantile, "deconstructionist" (note the sarcastic quotation marks) torture **** of Mark Millar's superhero work. The people I saw it with continually assured me that it was a "fun" movie, but I'm not sure where it earned this designation; was it the ten year old with a potty mouth who went on a killing spree every twenty minutes? The forced "nerds are pathetic" jokes that occupied the first act of the film? It was boring, infantile and impossible to take seriously. The movie was billed as a rendition of the alleged high concept "what if superheroes were real?" idea (I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass!), and it fell flat on its face by being infinitely more ridiculous and immature than a majority of "unrealistic" superhero stories. I can't really help but laugh at the people who say that Kick Ass is a satire or commentary.

I won't stress the point because it seems like most of you enjoyed it, but I really don't see the appeal.

to each our own as they say, Gideon Stargrave

loved the movie, and I WANT me one of those, yeah you know what im talking about.

to each our own as they say, Gideon Stargrave

loved the movie, and I WANT me one of those, yeah you know what im talking about.

Jet pack or the Bazooka? I also loved the first person shooter bit with Hit-girl. This was really a fun.

@Gideon: They intentionally dropped that by the end.

Jet pack or the Bazooka? I also loved the first person shooter bit with Hit-girl. This was really a fun.

@Gideon: They intentionally dropped that by the end.

what fun is a Bazooka when you have a Jet Pack w/ machine guns?

Absolutely loved it.

While there were certainly a lot changes from the comic, there were only two that I cared about. One, the reveal that Red Mist is an enemy before he's even introduced. The comic did a really good job of not revealing that until it needed to be, and I think it kinda cheapened his interaction with Kick-Ass.

The other is the resolution to the Katie Deuxma thing. I really, really liked that in the comic. I know it was more feel-good and probably fit the tone of the movie better, but I felt that the original worked better in the context of the story. Even the more uplifting movie could have worked it.

I'd definitely rank it up as being one of the best superhero films, ever.

While it doesn't surpass Iron Man for me, it's definitely up there.

I have seen it twice - and to be honest, my "seeing movies twice" days are mostly over! - and loved it both times. It was funny, and FUN, and the action sequences were great - what do you know, there ARE folks left in Hollywood who can choreograph a fight scene so you can actually FOLLOW what is happening, even at tremendous speed! Hit Girl's two sequences are amazing, and while Big-Daddy's warehouse attack is short, it is fantastic. And while the movie pokes some fun at superhero conventions, it also delivers some of the best superhero fun I have seen on-screen in a long long time.

I am a BIT surprised at the relatively low box office. I am sure the R rating doesnt help in that regard.

Shadow

PS - I should add, never read the comic, so I took the movie "as is"...which may or may not have influenced my perspective. Frankly, loved the tone..and from what i have HEARD of the comic's ending, think the movie ending worked a lot better for me.

Last edited:

I have seen it twice - and to be honest, my "seeing movies twice" days are mostly over! - and loved it both times. It was funny, and FUN, and the action sequences were great - what do you know, there ARE folks left in Hollywood who can choreograph a fight scene so you can actually FOLLOW what is happening, even at tremendous speed! Hit Girl's two sequences are amazing, and while Big-Daddy's warehouse attack is short, it is fantastic. And while the movie pokes some fun at superhero conventions, it also delivers some of the best superhero fun I have seen on-screen in a long long time.

I am a BIT surprised at the relatively low box office. I am sure the R rating doesnt help in that regard.

Shadow

PS - I should add, never read the comic, so I took the movie "as is"...which may or may not have influenced my perspective. Frankly, loved the tone..and from what i have HEARD of the comic's ending, think the movie ending worked a lot better for me.

I saw a video where that Hitgirl actress said she was trained by the Wire Crew that worked on The Matrix along with Jackie Chans' personal stunt/fight crew.

I wonder about box office some. R rating has to be part of it. Based on source material that a LOT of non-comic book fans have never heard of? Commercials tending to emphasize the humor (and KA's costume CAN look pretty dorky!)? I would think word of mouth would help it out. But again, not sure what realistic expectations are for KA, given rating, obscure source material, etc.

Shadow

I finally got a chance to see it today. It was executed well, and the entire cast was superb. Overall it was pretty true to the comic. I can understand why some changes were made, like Katie being the one linked to the pimp and Dave ending up with Katie in the end, but there are some changes that just don't make sense to me, like changing the villain's name from Genovese to D'Amico. It's not a big deal at all, but I'm just curious as to what the thought process was when they made that decision.

Didn't know they were called that in the comics. The Genovese family's actually one of New York's Five Families(main Mafia organizations) in real life. Maybe they just didn't want the heat.

Ah, makes sense.

I like how they mentioned Scott Pilgrim. Also, I don't get your guys' animosity towards the film for their supposed portrayal of geeks as being pathetic. The way I saw it, geeks were portrayed the exact same way they were in the book, even in real life....And they even convert two hot chicks to comic book readers. Even non-comic book readers can appreciate this movie.

Last edited:
Ah, makes sense.

I like how they mentioned Scott Pilgrim. Also, I don't get your guys' animosity towards the film for their supposed portrayal of geeks as being pathetic. The way I saw it, geeks were portrayed the exact same way they were in the book, even in real life....And they even convert two hot chicks to comic book readers. Even non-comic book readers can appreciate this movie.

Actually, the comic book was infinitely more derogatory in its portrayal of geek subculture....

And I don't think the fact that shallow caricatures of what the media imagines as "hot chicks" being 'converted' to comic book reading (as thought it were a ritualized religious practice that requires indoctrination) really qualifies the film as celebrating the aforementioned subculture. No one's angry that the film is perpetuating negative stereotypes about nerds and comic book fans; most critics of Kick-Ass are more disappointed at the hollow, immature narrative and intellectual bankruptcy than they are morally outraged or upset at the supposed social commentary.

Latest posts

Back