Luke Cage Movie News and Rumors

Hmmmm......while I think the combo of Singleton/Tyrese would do just fine for Cage....personally I'd like to see Antoine Fuqua (director) and Chiwetel Ejiofor (actor).

Fuqua directed "Training Day" and "Tears of the Sun" so he's got the serious tone for the film down. Plus he directed "Replacement Killers" so we're good to go on action part. Ejiofor was the main bad guy in "Four Brothers" and very convincing as the "hardcore gangsta"....combine that with his character's sense of nobility and honor from "Serenity" and you've got Cage .......or at least my version of him anyways.

It'd be a little fresher than another film from Singleton/Tyrese. Plus I don't really like Tyrese so I am a bit biased......

Last edited:
Doc Comic said:
Besides, Fiddy can't be Luke Cage. Luke Cage is supposed have bulletproof skin.
Fiddy is bulletproof, how else would he be alive after being shot on several different occasions. But yeah he would suck, and as always I say go for the unknown

Random said:
But yeah he would suck, and as always I say go for the unknown

that can work...but sometimes it doesn't...the perfect actor for cage probably is some unknown who would do great for the role...however, in the studio's eyes, a big name star is required to get people in the seats, as i'm not sure as to the extent of cage's popularity outside of the comic community...though it will be interesting to see where this goes...personally i'd like to see foxx as cage...and an eventual black panther movie with snipes (isn't there talk of this anyways?)

From CBR:

According to IESB, Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx is no longer in the running for the title role. "I don't think [it will happen]," Foxx said. "Sometimes you've got windows to do things, and if you do it cool, and if you don't do it, let it go."

I would buy "StickyFingaz" as Luke Cage more than I would buy 50 Cent. And I base this not on his work from Blade: The TV Series (which I haven't seen, though I think is a horrible miscast) but rather on his role in the first few seasons from The Shield.

That said, it feels like almost everyone is looking for a generic tough-looking black dude to play any black superhero.

No way would 50 Cent work. He doesn't have the empathy or intelligence of Luke Cage.

Plus, he has bullet scars. On his face. How do you explain that with Luke Cage's powers?

50 has the body for Luke Cage, but he can't act for ****. And regardless of what anyone says, he doesn't have the street credibility.

Jamie Foxx doesn't seem like a good fit to me at all.I love Foxx to death, but I just don't see him as Cage. Although, Jamie Foxx would be perfect as T'Challa (him and Denzel Washington. Then again, Washington could play pretty much ANY role you put him in).

I don't think Sticky Fingaz is that great of a choice either. I dig the dude to death, but he's def not the right man for the job.

To be honest, no rapper should be cast in the role of Luke Cage, because as soon as you put them in the role, it's going to become a rap movie. That's all there is to it. Luke Cage is already thematically about a former criminal who turns his life around and deals with the harshness of the streets. If you put a rapper in the role, even with the best intentions, the movie's going to turn into a vehicle for the rapper, and anything that's special about the character will be lost in the hype of the celebrity personality.

I say play it up as a comic book movie. If the trailer looks cool, people don't have to be familiar with the franchise. Cast an unknown in the role - a guy with the physique and the ability to play a savvy PI, but not an actor who's personality is going to subsume the actual character. Give it the energy of the original Shaft films. A smart director can inject it with the energy of what made early blaxploitation flicks good (and let's be honest, that's really the original seeed for the character in the first place) without it feeling like pandering. Don't make him a goddamn thug. Luke's a hard mother****er, but he's also a sharp detective. That can't get lost in the midst. And set him up against somesuper-powered bad guys. I'd suggest Purple Man as a primary villain. He's not a typical Luke Cage bad guy but there's a lot of potential there, and Purple Man as a nemesis could set up a connection back to Jessica Jones.

Give Iron Fist his own movie as a modern riff on the martial arts craze, and if the stars align correctly, things are perfectly set up for Heroes For Hire.

i thought Tyrese was an ok choice for Cage and hey isnt a rapper, hes a singer! no wait, hes set to release a double disc album, rappin on one disc and singing on the other :lol: serious

CBR:

LUKE CAGE

We got an email from Bill Vaughan of Tasty Clips who had this to say about the beleaguered Marvel project: "I interviewed Tyrese a couple of weeks ago. He got a little rude while I asked Luke Cage questions. Dude actually started playing the piano! He didn't have much to say we haven't heard already. However, on the Transformers, he revealed that Shia LaBeouf (who he called the star of the film) and he (calling himself the second lead) are not under contract to do any sequels. He told me he doesn't die in the flick and he hinted he's anticipating a HUGE payday to come back. He also said he didn't do as much blue screen work as people are thinking and that he wish he could see the finished film for the first time like he used to watch the TV show: in his underwear eating a bowl of cereal!" Okay, maybe too much information. Still, thanks, Bill.

Hmmmm......while I think the combo of Singleton/Tyrese would do just fine for Cage....personally I'd like to see Antoine Fuqua (director) and Chiwetel Ejiofor (actor).

Fuqua directed "Training Day" and "Tears of the Sun" so he's got the serious tone for the film down. Plus he directed "Replacement Killers" so we're good to go on action part. Ejiofor was the main bad guy in "Four Brothers" and very convincing as the "hardcore gangsta"....combine that with his character's sense of nobility and honor from "Serenity" and you've got Cage .......or at least my version of him anyways.

It'd be a little fresher than another film from Singleton/Tyrese. Plus I don't really like Tyrese so I am a bit biased......

I still stand by this choice.

I still stand by this choice.
For me, among prominent black actors and prominent black Marvel characters, it's:

Chiwetel Ejiofor as Falcon
Kirk 'Sticky Fingaz' Jones as Luke Cage
Djimon Hounsou as Black Panther
Michael Beach as Brother Voodoo
Denzel Washington as Deathlok (Michael Collins)
Andre Braugher as Steel
Michael Jace as Cloak
Percy Daggs III as Alex Wilder
Naomie Harris as Silhouette Chord or Venus Dee Milo
CCH Pounder as Monica Rambeau/Photon/Captain Marvel

I'm telling you guys, Cheeseburger Eddie should be Luke Cage. If 50 cent couldn't pull a cage, how can tyrese? he's way smaller and not even built. i would like to see CE or Michael clark Duncan.

For me, among prominent black actors and prominent black Marvel characters, it's:

Chiwetel Ejiofor as Falcon
Kirk 'Sticky Fingaz' Jones as Luke Cage
Djimon Hounsou as Black Panther
Michael Beach as Brother Voodoo
Denzel Washington as Deathlok (Michael Collins)
Andre Braugher as Steel
Michael Jace as Cloak
Percy Daggs III as Alex Wilder
Naomie Harris as Silhouette Chord or Venus Dee Milo
CCH Pounder as Monica Rambeau/Photon/Captain Marvel

Once again...damn fine casting. Particularly on Panter, Steel, Alex Wilder and Monica (although her age kinda cancels her out).

CBR:

LUKE CAGE

Actor Tyrese Gibson expects to be saying "Sweet Christmas!" sometime soon, according to quotes at Sci Fi Wire (despite their erroneous claim that Cage was the first Black comic book super hero). "They're doing rewrites on it now, and we actually have a meeting coming up on it soon, from what I hear, just to see where we are with the whole thing," Gibson said. "Right now they're in the process of getting the rewrites done, and then they'll, I guess, do kind of a formal presentation to see if it's going to be a go."

Once again...damn fine casting. Particularly (...) Monica (although her age kinda cancels her out).
Yeah but what I had in mind was to rewrite the character FOR CCH Pounder. I'd rather have her be a middle-aged cop than some generic young hot African-American woman who wants to be bad-*** to up her star profile.

CBR reports:

Actor Tyrese Gibson talked to IGN and said, "You know, they're doing the rewrites on it right now. I have not officially signed on to be a part of it, but they have me in mind, so I'm honored."

However the same article notes Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige had a different story. "The rights since have reverted back to Marvel," Feige said, "but I would love to do a Luke Cage movie -- again, looking for ways to continue Marvel movies with fresh content and different points of view. I think Luke Cage would absolutely fit into that."

I'm gonna say no to pretty much any rapper on the Luke Cage deal. 50 Cent can hardly form a coherent sentence, let alone act. I don't keep up with him or his career, but what I've heard of his music, it sounds like a lot of mumbling. Sticky Fingaz, while I was a big Onyx fan when they were relevant somewhere between 1993 and 1994, just doesn't do it for me. Not enough meat on the man's bones. Luke Cage isn't the Hulk, but I'd expect him to be a little bulkier than Mr. Fingaz.

I've always thought Ving Rhames would make an excellent Cage. Too old? Maybe, but why should that matter? We're talking about a character that's been around since the 1970's. Set the film in present day and he could have a history. Show some flashbacks if you want a young Luke. Usually it's Ving's voice I hear when I read any story featuring Luke Cage... his delivery is perfect. Plus, he's got the physique for the role, no question.

Doubtful that he would be cast as Luke Cage, but in a perfect world...

If I wasn't skeptical about acting skills, I'd suggest current WWE wrestler Bobby Lashley on physical appearance alone. I haven't watched wrestling since around 2002, so I have no clue if he'd have the acting skill required, but like I said. He's got the look.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back