Mark Millar discusses Ultimate Defenders with ComiCon.com

E

Excelsior Club
With the Ultimates universe almost anything can happen, including the introduction of one of the third (or fourth) tier superteams, The Defenders. Writer Mark Millar and artist Bryan Hitch plan to introduce those heroes in issue # 6 of The Ultimates. Hank Pym's joining the team in a tale that furthers his reputation as a "loser," by having him join a group Millar describes as "ANOTHER bunch of losers!"

Read Millar's entire interview at http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=003556

Linked_article said:
THE PULSE: Why does Hank Pym still feel the need to be a hero? What is it about heroics that is the driving force?

Mark Millar: "It's the same reason Madonna keeps pumping out records. Nobody's interested anymore, but there's that little piece of her missing that she needs people to fill and Hank is exactly the same."
Man that's totally quoteworthy. I love a man who can call on Madonna's stuff like that, regardless of whether it's true or not. Oh Mark, I am so gay for you.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ok, so that's the second official mention of the teammates that doesn't say Luke Cage but says Black Knight. I hope that isn't Cage on the team.
The interview mentions Power Man, which was of course, Luke Cage's old alias back when he ran around screaming, "Sweet Christmas!" all the time.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
Ok, so that's the second official mention of the teammates that doesn't say Luke Cage but says Black Knight. I hope that isn't Cage on the team.
Doesn't say Luke cage, but it does say Power Man, which is Cage's old handle. Damn.

I love the bit about everyone assuming that Black Knight is just a Larper. Ccan't wait to read that.

TheManWithoutFear said:
From the Link said:
We've got Nighthawk, Son of Satan, Power Man, The Valkyrie, Black Knight (whom everyone assumes is just a role-player), Hellcat and, of course, poor Hank Pym.
Well, Power Man is mentioned anyway and by the looks of it I would say that it's Luke Cage.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Damn, Sorry I missed Power Man. I was busy looking for "Luke Cage". Why Millar, Why?
He hates us. Or atleast Luke Cage. I bet he'd have put Iron Fist in there too if he hadn't been in Ultimate Spider-Man 1/2.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Do you think Millar might not read Bendis? Because everything Bendis has done with Cage... this doesn't make sense to me.
Well as hardcore bad-*** Cage is under Bendis' run, doesn't preclude making him part of a low rent superhero outfit. If anything, it makes sense only because he IS a man with unbreakable skin working to do good on a much smaller scale than The Ultimates. I'm sure you're worried that Millar might just be taking a crap on a character we like, but let's face it, among the hypermediatized celebrity world of Ultimate Universe, Luke Cage really does look like a C-grade no one, regardless of how effective he really is at pulling his heroics.

On the other hand, if Millar is forgetting to read Bendis' work, then that's just payback for Bendis not reading Ultimates and accidentally creating a big continuity error in Ultimate Fantastic Four because of it.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
Do you think Millar might not read Bendis? Because everything Bendis has done with Cage... this doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe he's setting him up for an Ultimate makeover. Maybe he'll be cool someday.

Mark Millar said:
Will The Defenders come back in The Ultimates? Almost certainly. I had a great time doing this. Bry and I both agree it's the best issue.

Millar is going to use the Defenders again in the pages of Ultimates. My question is: When is planing to do that?

He's got only 6 issues left after their introduction, and I don't really see them playing a big part in GTA. So, does this mean Millar is actually going to stay on Ultimates after Ultimates 2???

Ricky said:
Millar is going to use the Defenders again in the pages of Ultimates. My question is: When is planing to do that?

He's got only 6 issues left after their introduction, and I don't really see them playing a big part in GTA. So, does this mean Millar is actually going to stay on Ultimates after Ultimates 2???
:shock: :cry:

Ricky said:

Ooh ooh pick me pick me!Lets start ANOTHER gta speculation thread!

Latest posts

Back