Mark Millar hypes Ultimate Fantastic Four at Newsarama

E

Excelsior Club
[IMGL]http://ultimatecentral.com/images/news-millar.jpg[/IMGL] Newsarama has posted an interview with upcoming Ultimate Fantastic Four writer Mark Millar. An excerpt:

"NRAMA: So any teases at all to clarify just a touch what is coming in the storyline?

MM: We've got time-travel, fights at the beginning of time, fights at the end of time, pretty much every character Marvel has on their books and probably the best villain I've ever come up with. And that's just the first story and leaving out the best parts.

After this we have the undersea pyramids of Atlantis; the Tomb of Namor; the hidden secret shame of the Storm family; Johnny's new best pal; a rival school that resides in a great big building near the Baxter Building and hates their guts; alien invasions; the Thing going mad; Reed and Ben shrunken down and chasing bad guys inside the President; and a million other things I can't even remember. Plus two other big things I can't reveal because they're major spoilers for later in the year.

It's non-stop and probably the most unselfconscious thing I think I've ever written. It's just a good comic and will pretty much round out the rest of my Marvel contract. I'm up in the autumn and, if anything, would only have time for a short project after this. But there's a very good chance this'll be my last company-owned thing for a long time. Wolverine, Ultimates 2, Marvel Knights Spidey, and this one-year run on Ultimate FF are all books I'm really pleased with this year, but this is the only one I can really show to my kid."

Read the interview in its entirity and get some nice Greg Land preview art at http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32193

UltimateE said:
MM: We've got time-travel, fights at the beginning of time, fights at the end of time, pretty much every character Marvel has on their books and probably the best villain I've ever come up with. And that's just the first story and leaving out the best parts.
Because what the UFF continuity really really needs is time travel.

UltimateE said:
the hidden secret shame of the Storm family;
Now, I'm not an FF guru but doesn't a man normally need a woman to have two babies? We haven't seen Mrs Storm yet, the only mention of her is that Dr Storm "Lost her" and I already strongly suspect that its got to do with her.

UltimateE said:
Reed and Ben shrunken down and chasing bad guys inside the President;

UltimateE said:

And the Ultimate Universe just went to hell. I'm fine with parallel universes (As long as 616 isn't in the same Multiverse as Ultimate), but time travel? It better be REALLY REALLY REALLY well written and SOLVE the current continuity issues. . . but I'm sure it'll just create more of a headache. I have faith in you, Mark. . .please don't let us down. :?

Lynx said:
And the Ultimate Universe just went to hell. I'm fine with parallel universes (As long as 616 isn't in the same Multiverse as Ultimate), but time travel? It better be REALLY REALLY REALLY well written and SOLVE the current continuity issues. . . but I'm sure it'll just create more of a headache. I have faith in you, Mark. . .please don't let us down. :?

Well I could deal with Time Travel into the past. As long as it doesn't change anything in the future and it's a self contained story. If they met the Ultimate Invaders during WWII then that'd be cool. But if they go back and pull a sound of thunder on our ***' then that's not cool. And time travel into the future... I don't see it happening.

Again UFF should be exploring itself instead of branching out to all of this multiuniverse/time travel nonsense.

I have faith in Millar, I think that his run will be great. HOW DARE ANY OF YOU DOUBT MILLAR, still Im not a big fan of the UFF meeting with the FF. We shall see.....

René said:
still Im not a big fan of the UFF meeting with the FF. We shall see.....

aarrrrRRRRRGH....IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Far Past Time Travel isn't too bad, and I guess certain bits of it could explain the time discrpencies in The Ultimates / UMTU. Even the End of Time is a very fuzzy area, not really affecting anything (Think 'Chrono Trigger'). And E, I hope you're right. . .I hope to GOD that the UFF and the FF never EVER meet up. Ever. (I'm still hoping this is that "Ultimate Ultimate" thing Millar talked about back 9 months ago). I have faith that Mark'll do well. . .

You know what? I think I'm going to start picking UFF up monthly. This just sounds like too much fun to pass up.

And a great big yay to more insanity spawned from the gaping maw that is miller's brain. Creator owned series rock.

Well, I'm sold on these ideas. Really, I can understand the skepticism, but I think we should know better than to say Millar's going to do a horrible job with even the most obscure plots that come around. I'm looking forward to the Fantastic Four actually getting dirty beyond what was set up for them in the first arc or so and I think, with the exception of the whole shrinking Ben and Reed to combat villains in the President's intestines, Millar's got the right stuff to be writing this title. I can't wait to see the time traveling bit; I've never really read into anything like that since Back to the Future, so this should be a good deal.

I really can't wait for this. After reading the article I'm fairly certain that Millar's run is going to be pretty fun (not to mention totally insane). Hopefully it'll be a little more satisfying than what's come before in UFF (in my opinion atleast). I wonder how Millar's gonna fit all this crap into 12 issues?

You know, I really liked how Millar put it... This isn't the Mundane Four it's the FANTASTIC Four. I'm expecting good things out of this.

Goodwill said:
You know, I really liked how Millar put it... This isn't the Mundane Four it's the FANTASTIC Four. I'm expecting good things out of this.

Me too. I'm a little surprised at all the skepticism...sounds like this book is actually going to be really good for once.

Sounds like lots of fun - we'll be seeing Ultimate Namor too.

Also, I've been thinking UFF has been really, really good. The only exceptions are the first six issues which were pretty awful. But I've loved the Doom and N-Zone arcs.

If you disagree, but like New Avengers, you are wrong. Accept it. Don't even try to post a rebuttal, you'll only look stupid and hurt yourself. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it.

Bass said:
Sounds like lots of fun - we'll be seeing Ultimate Namor too.

Also, I've been thinking UFF has been really, really good. The only exceptions are the first six issues which were pretty awful. But I've loved the Doom and N-Zone arcs.

If you disagree, but like New Avengers, you are wrong. Accept it. Don't even try to post a rebuttal, you'll only look stupid and hurt yourself. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it. Accept it.

Bitter Avengers fans are funny. :D

I didn't read the Avengers before Bendis. And I ain't gonna be picking 'em up now.

See how wrong you are? See how you have verbally tripped over and hurt yourself?

I warned you, E...

I blame Loki.

funny, last couple months I've been balming Zeus for all my probs, i get weird looks but hell it's fun.

I can't wait for this, i just hope that the book goes superpseudoscience instead of just saying, hey Reed created a time machine and there off to battle Rama-Tut.

Latest posts

Back