Marvel Cinematic Universe News, Rumors, and Discussion

So Phase 1 consisted of six movies, Phase 2 will be five movies and about 50 hours of TV (2 seasons of S.H.I.E.L.D. + Carter), and Phase 3 will be eight movies plus 60 hours of TV that we know of (the Netflix stuff), and it's pretty safe to assume that number won't stay at that. Marvel is going pretty huge.

Marvel announces a third date for 2018:

10530893_629443293820805_1455297465049600262_n.jpg

Wouldn't it be 9? You said it was 8 before with the 6 previous announced dates.

Well:

Ant-Man in 2015
Captain America 3 and Doctor Strange in 2016
3 unannounced movies for 2017
3 for 2018
1 for 2019

So that's ten. Unless I'm counting wrong. But with the newly announced third movie for 2018 that should be ten.

Of course it's possible some of those are Phase 4 films. If Avengers 3 comes out in 2018 (presumably the May date) that'd be seven movies for Phase 3 and three unannounced movies for Phase 4 starting after Avengers 3 in 2018.

Hopefully it'll be clarified (at least through 2017) this week at SDCC.

Ant-Man (7/17/15)
Captain America 3 (5/6/16)
Untitled Marvel (7/8/16) - this is likely Dr. Strange
Untitled Marvel (5/5/17) - Black Panther?
Untitled Marvel (7/28/17) - Guardians of the Galaxy 2?
Untitled Marvel (11/3/17) - Thor 3?
Untitled Marvel (5/4/18) - this is likely Avengers 3, meaning the rest start Phase 4
Untitled Marvel (7/6/18)
Untitled Marvel (11/2/18)
Untitled Marvel (5/3/19)

If that's the case Phase 3 will be seven films. I'm sure amongst those dates Thor 3 will occupy one of the 2017 dates. I'm also thinking Black Panther may finally be coming as one if those movies, either in the remaining 2017 date or one of the 2018 dates (especially if Cap 3 includes a post credit scene which introduces him). And given the early buzz and likely financial success of Guardians of the Galaxy, I'd expect a GotG sequel as one of the 2017 dates as well.

But I'm thinking we'll get confirmation of what movies are coming through the May, 2018 date (Avengers 3) and likely titles for them (since Cap 3, Thor 3, and Avengers 3 will likely have a subtitle instead of being numbered sequels).

Last edited:
He said eight before I reminded him of the third 2017 film bringing to nine. Then we have the newly announced film which makes ten.

Last edited:
A Thunderbolts movie could happen.

"I will tell you, one time I was saying to Kevin [Feige], we were sitting on set together on one of the days he visited and I said, 'You know, I really want to make Thunderbolts,' and he said, 'James, if Guardians does well you'll be able to do whatever you want.' So we'll see what happens."

Last edited:
I have a feeling SDCC may be where Marvel might have to win us back on Ant-Man.

A Thunderbolts movie could happen.

"I will tell you, one time I was saying to Kevin [Feige], we were sitting on set together on one of the days he visited and I said, 'You know, I really want to make Thunderbolts,' and he said, 'James, if Guardians does well you'll be able to do whatever you want.' So we'll see what happens."

Nah man

hit-monkey.jpg

Last edited:
Christ, 3 movies a year? I don't want to sound like a downer, but at some point I think audiences are going to start losing interest in comic book movies if they flood the market to such a degree. I know people have been saying that for years, but we're at a point where it isn't out of the question to expect 7 comic book movies a year to be routine ( approximately 3 Marvel, 2 WB, 1 Sony, 1 Fox). I don't know...maybe I'm just being pessimistic. I'm going to be REALLY interested to see how well Ant-Man does at the box office, as I think it will go a long way to indicating how open the general audience is going to be to some of Marvel's more obscure heroes.

Christ, 3 movies a year? I don't want to sound like a downer, but at some point I think audiences are going to start losing interest in comic book movies if they flood the market to such a degree. I know people have been saying that for years, but we're at a point where it isn't out of the question to expect 7 comic book movies a year to be routine ( approximately 3 Marvel, 2 WB, 1 Sony, 1 Fox). I don't know...maybe I'm just being pessimistic. I'm going to be REALLY interested to see how well Ant-Man does at the box office, as I think it will go a long way to indicating how open the general audience is going to be to some of Marvel's more obscure heroes.

I don't think an over abundance of a certain genre necessarily turn audiences off, else they'd have stopped making dramas, romantic comedies, etc years ago (after all, how many of those come out each year?).

As long as Marvel keeps their films fresh, exciting, and quality-made, worthwhile films, they'll be fine. The other thing is Marvel have already taken a number of different genres and combined them with the general super hero film thing: Cap's movies have been war time and political thriller, Thor largely fantasy inspired, Iron Man advanced tech inspired, Hulk inspired by monster movies/Jekyll & Hyde, etc. Guardians will bring the space opera avenue, Ant-Man a sort of heist film, etc. And all have had varying elements of comedy, drama, and character growth. I think that as long as they keep Feige in charge, who has a great knack of overseeing the overall universe in a meta sense, while also having a very clear vision of how each movie stands on it's own while building the larger universe, and hiring the right script writers, directors, and actors to bring it to life, audiences will keep coming back for quite awhile.

Besides, the train shows no signs of slowing anytime soon. The box office numbers for the films are everything from strong to blockbuster. The critical reviews for most of the films are strong. And the hype surrounding the MCU films remains as strong as it ever was, with hardcore fans and general audiences still strongly interested in details of films in production. Just look at the amount of people online eagerly awaiting news of the films in production and announcements of films to be in the MCU at this weekend's Comic Con.

I think the analogy Feige made to the James Bond series is especially accurate in that sense. Those movies have been coming out for over 50 years now, and the last one (Skyfall) was the most financially successful yet (as well as arguably the best reviewed in the series). Granted they only come out on average every few years, and Marvel is far outpacing that with 2 films per year currently and 3 per year starting in 2017, but they've also got exponentially more characters to use, worlds to explore (in regards to the cosmic side), and worthwhile stories to tell.

I assure you, the Marvel films will do just fine for the foreseeable future. Once Feige steps down that may change, but I think he genuinely enjoys what he does and plans on sticking around for awhile.

The real test for the MCU's expansion will be how well audiences receive the multiple upcoming TV projects, in addition to the already existing AoS show. Agent Carter, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, The Defenders, all in a two or three year period (January 2015 to mid or late 2017). The movies will do fine. The TV shows on Netflix likely will as well, though AoS needs to step up it's game.

I don't think an over abundance of a certain genre necessarily turn audiences off, else they'd have stopped making dramas, romantic comedies, etc years ago (after all, how many of those come out each year?).
That's not really an apt comparison, since dramas and romcoms don't cost nearly as much to make as Marvel movies. Marvel Studios is in big trouble if even one movie really bombs. A couple of failed dramas or romcoms won't affect a studio's status that much, they'll still be able to make more. However...

As long as Marvel keeps their films fresh, exciting, and quality-made, worthwhile films, they'll be fine. The other thing is Marvel have already taken a number of different genres and combined them with the general super hero film thing: Cap's movies have been war time and political thriller, Thor largely fantasy inspired, Iron Man advanced tech inspired, Hulk inspired by monster movies/Jekyll & Hyde, etc. Guardians will bring the space opera avenue, Ant-Man a sort of heist film, etc. And all have had varying elements of comedy, drama, and character growth. I think that as long as they keep Feige in charge, who has a great knack of overseeing the overall universe in a meta sense, while also having a very clear vision of how each movie stands on it's own while building the larger universe, and hiring the right script writers, directors, and actors to bring it to life, audiences will keep coming back for quite awhile.
I absolutely agree with this. And Feige himself said pretty much the same thing. He was interviewed on the latest Empire podcast, and was asked about Marvel and DC oversaturating the market. His response was that people will only get bored with superhero movies when the movies aren't good, and as long as they keep making them interesting and different, people will want to see them.

Btw, he was also asked about Wright leaving Ant-Man, but remained predictably tight-lipped. He just said that the separation was amicable and the decision mutual, and that he was sorry they didn't realise it wouldn't work years ago.

That's not really an apt comparison, since dramas and romcoms don't cost nearly as much to make as Marvel movies. Marvel Studios is in big trouble if even one movie really bombs. A couple of failed dramas or romcoms won't affect a studio's status that much, they'll still be able to make more. However...

Dramas and romantic comedies also don't bring in even a small fraction of the box office the MCU films do. Nor would one bomb bankrupt the studio. A series of box office flops likely would, but not one. Don't forget that in only six years the MCU has risen to the second most profitable franchise in history, and will soon overtake Harry Potter and be the most profitable (likely after Guardians is released). On average the MCU films make 3 to six times their budget. Even factoring marketing costs (which are expensive), they make a very nice profit on each film. They're well past the position of being apprehensive about their films turning a profit. I think the risk they took with Guardians is proof of that. They realize that general audiences love the MCU films, and even lesser known properties like GotG and Ant Man will be a test of how willing audiences are to shell out for characters they've likely never heard of. And despite that unfamiliarity, especially in GotG's case, the buzz around the film is overwhelming, not only because it looks fun, but because it's a group of characters general audiences know virtually nothing about.

I absolutely agree with this. And Feige himself said pretty much the same thing. He was interviewed on the latest Empire podcast, and was asked about Marvel and DC oversaturating the market. His response was that people will only get bored with superhero movies when the movies aren't good, and as long as they keep making them interesting and different, people will want to see them. Btw, he was also asked about Wright leaving Ant-Man, but remained predictably tight-lipped. He just said that the separation was amicable and the decision mutual, and that he was sorry they didn't realise it wouldn't work years ago.

And that's the truth. Once the studios get to the point where they've run out of ideas and are just phoning it in, audiences will respond by not bothering anymore. But again, I think with Feige at the helm (and later a talented and motivated replacement once he steps down) they'll keep trying new things, exploring new avenues of not only cross-genre approaches to the superhero films, but exciting and interesting new direction to take the characters and universe.

Further, the X-Men series is a good example of how quality will bring audiences back. X-Men and X2 were decent films, The Last Stand turned a lot of people off, and was compounded by Origins - Wolverine. It seemed like the producers didn't know what they were doing and audiences had about had it. But First Class and Days of Future Past very clearly improved the quality and DoFP certainly increased the box office potential of the series. So even a few missteps won't necessarily permanently turn audiences against a franchise. And realistically, there will be missteps along the way. As long as the powers that be learn from those mistakes and don't make a habit of them, audiences will fill the theaters to see the newest offering.

On a different topic, but MCU related:

I finally got ahold of "Iron Man 2 - Agents of SHIELD" from 2010 and I noticed as soon as I opened it that it's got an Agent Garrett! He looks nothing like Bill Paxton, of course, and the MCU wikia has him as a separate character that shows up in Thor (I tracked him down at 1:18:00). I find it hard to believe, however, that there are multiple Agent Garretts.

What are your thoughts? Are there two different Agent Garretts or is the one in IM2: AoS the same one who would finally show up on screen as the Clairvoyant?

On a different topic, but MCU related: I finally got ahold of "Iron Man 2 - Agents of SHIELD" from 2010 and I noticed as soon as I opened it that it's got an Agent Garrett! He looks nothing like Bill Paxton, of course, and the MCU wikia has him as a separate character that shows up in Thor (I tracked him down at 1:18:00). I find it hard to believe, however, that there are multiple Agent Garretts. What are your thoughts? Are there two different Agent Garretts or is the one in IM2: AoS the same one who would finally show up on screen as the Clairvoyant?

I just figure it's a different person. For one, the Garrett in the IM2-AoS comic appear to be African American. And Garrett isn't that uncommon a name, so it doesn't stretch the realm of believability to think an organization the size of SHIELD had more than one guy named Garrett working for them. Probably had a whole lot of Smiths and Jones as well.

It may originally have been intended to be the MCU version of Garrett that was apparently in Thor (likely as nothing more than a background character), but the producers of the show probably weren't aware of the character being in Thor (since it's really nothing but a background character) or in the comic (even though it's MCU canon, I doubt they've read the MCU canon comics).

So either look at it as a different guy named Garrett (since we never get a first name), or just a very minor retcon that can be explained away as another guy named Garrett. No big deal.

I'm gonna let DIB handle that and focus on this

Sigh.

Man, the Marvel Studios panel was so disappointing.

Latest posts

Back