Marvel Cinematic Universe News, Rumors, and Discussion

Since this is also a discussion thread what characters (that Marvel owns the rights to) are you guys dying to see in the MCU? For me I've always had ten and most of them I thought I'd NEVER EVER see in a movie but after Guardians of the Galaxy I feel like nothing is off limits anymore. However since GOTG I've had to edit it (end credits character, Rocket, Daredevil, and Doctor Strange were taken off).

1. Red Hulk
2. Spider-Woman
3. Man-Thing
4. Moon Knight
5. Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)
6. Black Panther
7. Squirrel Girl
8. Devil Dinosaur
9. Beta Ray Bill
10. Forbush Man

For some reason I can't explain, I'm in love with Mantis after reading GotG. Would love to see her in the sequel. And I really want to see Man-Thing, and after the mention in AoS, it could happen.

Also, in some interview Feige talked about someone writing a script for a Runaways movie, that could be great.

Since this is also a discussion thread what characters (that Marvel owns the rights to) are you guys dying to see in the MCU? For me I've always had ten and most of them I thought I'd NEVER EVER see in a movie but after Guardians of the Galaxy I feel like nothing is off limits anymore. However since GOTG I've had to edit it (end credits character, Rocket, Daredevil, and Doctor Strange were taken off).

1. Red Hulk
2. Spider-Woman
3. Man-Thing
4. Moon Knight
5. Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)
6. Black Panther
7. Squirrel Girl
8. Devil Dinosaur
9. Beta Ray Bill
10. Forbush Man

I think those four are very likely to show up in a movie eventually, especially Black Panther and Captain Marvel. I'd expect Moon Knight to possibly get a TV series if the current Netflix shows are popular (and they likely will be). Beta Ray Bill could very likely show up in either a supporting role or cameo in Thor 3 or GotG2.

Red Hulk? Probably not. With Hulk movies so far and few between compared to the other heroes solo films, I'd personally rather them focus on The Leader (since they planted seeds for that in Incredible Hulk) or another villain. Red Hulk just isn't interesting.

Spider-Woman could happen, though I think Marvel won't bother for a long while. While they hold the film rights to the character outright, there may be some legal pushback from Sony while they hold the Spider-Man license. Plus, tons of more interesting characters to focus on first.

Man-Thing... doubtful. Maybe as a supporting role in a Midnight Sons type movie, or a cameo in Dr. Strange. But definitely not a solo film.

Squirrel Girl, Devil Dinosaur, and Forbush Man? No... just, no.

For some reason I can't explain, I'm in love with Mantis after reading GotG. Would love to see her in the sequel. And I really want to see Man-Thing, and after the mention in AoS, it could happen.

I can see Man-Thing as a supporting character in a horror type Marvel movie, or even a guest star role in AoS, but I doubt he'll get a solo film.

Also, in some interview Feige talked about someone writing a script for a Runaways movie, that could be great.

The Runaways script was written a long time ago. Back before the first Iron Man movie came out.

I think those four are very likely to show up in a movie eventually, especially Black Panther and Captain Marvel. I'd expect Moon Knight to possibly get a TV series if the current Netflix shows are popular (and they likely will be). Beta Ray Bill could very likely show up in either a supporting role or cameo in Thor 3 or GotG2.

I'd actually be shocked if Moon Knight isn't going to be in The Defenders. They seem to be pushing him hard lately.

Red Hulk? Probably not. With Hulk movies so far and few between compared to the other heroes solo films, I'd personally rather them focus on The Leader (since they planted seeds for that in Incredible Hulk) or another villain. Red Hulk just isn't interesting.

You don't find Ross a compelling character?

Spider-Woman could happen, though I think Marvel won't bother for a long while. While they hold the film rights to the character outright, there may be some legal pushback from Sony while they hold the Spider-Man license. Plus, tons of more interesting characters to focus on first.

You don't find Jessica Drew a compelling character!!?

Man-Thing... doubtful. Maybe as a supporting role in a Midnight Sons type movie, or a cameo in Dr. Strange. But definitely not a solo film.

We know he exists in the universe already, just needs to show up. I'd be so down for a Midnight Sons movie. I'm hoping Doctor Strange opens up the horror side of the MCU.

Squirrel Girl, Devil Dinosaur, and Forbush Man? No... just, no.

I don't know man, Squirrel Girl has been gaining popularity and spotlight a lot lately, Devil Dinosaur could easily show up in the Savage Land as a cameo for us nerds to freak out over, and Forbush Man could easily be in a Howard the Duck movie.

I'd actually be shocked if Moon Knight isn't going to be in The Defenders. They seem to be pushing him hard lately.

I wouldn't expect him to show up until after the first slate of Netflix shows. So probably not until 2018 at the earliest. I could see them using the Defenders series as a way of introducing him to set up a Moon Knight series to air afterward, though.

I find Ross a compelling character. I find Red Hulk to be lame. You've got the Hulk's main antagonist in Ross whose been chasing and trying to capture and kill the Hulk for decades, then he becomes a Hulk himself (just with a different color scheme). Its lame, unimaginative writing.

I didn't say that. I said Sony would likely push back on Marvel legally for "brand dilution" reasons if Marvel were to make a Spider-Woman film while Sony owns the Spider-Man film rights. I know Marvel legally CAN make it, I just think they'd rather avoid the headache and focus on more interesting characters (of which there are a wealth of before Jessica Drew).

We know he exists in the universe already, just needs to show up. I'd be so down for a Midnight Sons movie. I'm hoping Doctor Strange opens up the horror side of the MCU.

Like I said, I think he'll show up eventually, it just won't be in a Man-Thing solo film. How do you center a film around a character who doesn't speak? He could serve as a supporting character in a Midnight Sons type movie, though.

I don't know man, Squirrel Girl has been gaining popularity and spotlight a lot lately, Devil Dinosaur could easily show up in the Savage Land as a cameo for us nerds to freak out over, and Forbush Man could easily be in a Howard the Duck movie.

Squirrel Girl is just too tongue in cheek ridiculous for a general audience to accept, I think. And isn't the Savage Land rights owned by FOX, since they own the X-Men rights? So likely no Devil Dinosaur unless he appears outside of Savage Land. And I seriously doubt there's going to be a Howard the Duck movie anytime soon. He may show up in another cameo or supporting role in GotG2, but how do you even approach a Howard the Duck film?

Moon Knight is not being pushed hard at all. What makes you think that?

Also, you seem to be confusing the facts of the possibility of characters appearing with whether or not they're found compelling by him.

And Squirrel Girl has a small following, but there's nothing indicating that her popularity has been gaining or that she's been having a lot of spotlight. She appeared, and very, extremely, briefly in one episode (least so far anyways) in Ultimate Spider-Man. When was the last time she appeared in the comics? It's been some time. While Devil Dinosaur could cameo in a Savage Land scene, the Savage Land first has to make an appearance and right now it doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. Also, Forbush Man appearing in a Howard the Duck movie? That's assuming Marvel would even think of doing one. At best they'd do an animated direct-to-video movie and even that has the chances of slim-to-none of happening as of now.

And isn't the Savage Land rights owned by FOX, since they own the X-Men rights? So likely no Devil Dinosaur unless he appears outside of Savage Land.
No, I doubt it. Savage Land was never specifically tied to X-Men only/mostly/what-have-you.

Last edited:
Moon Knight is not being pushed hard at all. What makes you think that?

Also, you seem to be confusing the facts of the possibility of characters appearing with wether or not they're found compelling by him.

And Squirrel Girl has a small following, but there's nothing indicating that her popularity has been gaining or that she's been having a lot of spotlight. She appeared, and very, extremely, briefly in one episode (least so far anyways) in Ultimate Spider-Man. When was the last time she appeared in the comics? It's been some time. While Devil Dinosaur could cameo in a Savage Land scene, the Savage Land first has to make an appearance and right now it doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. Also, Forbush Man appearing in a Howard the Duck movie? That's assuming Marvel would even think of doing one. At best they'd do an animated direct-to-video movie and even that has the chances of slim-to-none of happening as of now.

^This.

No, I doubt it. Savage Land was never specifically tied to X-Men only/mostly/what-have-you.

Ah, ok. I still don't see any Savage Land characters happening anytime soon.

Moon Knight: They just had two of the biggest writers in comics on it.

Squirrel Girl: She was just in Deadpool and Was featured in Bendis's New Avengers. Hate to link to Bleeding Cool but http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07...irl-cartoon-tv-or-film-appearance-on-the-way/

Rulk: Ross became Rulk because he was tired of losing. He then went insane and eventually realized he had turned into what he had been fighting the whole time. I loved that.

Spider-Woman: One of my favorite characters so I'm biased.

Man-Thing: Wall-E is how you make a movie about a character that doesn't speak.

Howard the Duck: You follow Steve Gerber's run when you make a movie. It'd be awesome.

Savage Land: It's been showing up in a lot of places including the cartoons. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up in the MCU very soon.

DIB: I was asking him if he didn't find them compelling because it seemed like he didn't want them showing up.

Rulk: Ross became Rulk because he was tired of losing. He then went insane and eventually realized he had turned into what he had been fighting the whole time. I loved that.

Sounds real original. /sarcasm

Dude, you're kidding, right? Completely different genres, completely different characters, and would require completely different approaches. This comparison fails.

Howard the Duck: You follow Steve Gerber's run when you make a movie. It'd be awesome.

Ah, yes, let's use a run that satirizes society from 30-35 years ago. Nothing could go wrong there.

DIB: I was asking him if he didn't find them compelling because it seemed like he didn't want them showing up.

It's not that I don't want some of them to show up, I could just do without some of them showing up (Red Hulk). However some I can do completely without (Squirrel Girl, Forbush Man).

Moon Knight: They just had two of the biggest writers in comics on it.
Because that's how you launch a book. Have recognizable names that will draw people in. Or the creative team pitched the book. Either way, that doesn't mean Moon Knight is being pushed hard. It's not being pushed at all. He's got a new ongoing, but for it to be pushed in any high level or whatever, there'd have to be Moon Knight appearances up the wah-zoo, event centered around him, etc. There isn't.

Squirrel Girl: She was just in Deadpool and Was featured in Bendis's New Avengers. Hate to link to Bleeding Cool but http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07...irl-cartoon-tv-or-film-appearance-on-the-way/
Two comic appearances in the span of how many years? Yeah. That's popularity growing...

Her getting a trademark likely would lead to a comic book not a film. I don't see Marvel giving her a solo film. And also, she's actually a mutant, so it has to be found out first whether Marvel even has the rights to her for film.

Wall-E still spoke. He just said his name only. Like a Pokemon. :wink:

It doesn't matter what you follow. The point is that Marvel has a set plan for their movies and going by what they're doing, Howard the Duck is more than likely not on it.

Savage Land: It's been showing up in a lot of places including the cartoons. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up in the MCU very soon
Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and the Aaron/Perez WATX arc last year are the only places I've seen it show up recently. Unless there's been plenty of other places, two times in two years isn't exactly "a lot." I'm not saying the Savage Land isn't or wouldn't show up in the MCU at all, just that it won't be very soon or any time soon.

No, you only asked if he didn't find them compelling; you didn't say anything because of him not wanting the characters showing up.

Last edited:
Dude, you're kidding, right? Completely different genres, completely different characters, and would require completely different approaches. This comparison fails.

I'm giving you an example of a movie where the main attraction never talks. Need a horror example? Friday the 13th, Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. Marvel can make it work.

Ah, yes, let's use a run that satirizes society from 30-35 years ago. Nothing could go wrong there.

I thought saying that you'd have to modernize it would be redundant, guess not.

It's not that I don't want some of them to show up, I could just do without some of them showing up (Red Hulk). However some I can do completely without (Squirrel Girl, Forbush Man).

What do you have against Squirrel Girl and Forbush Man?

Because that's how you launch a book. Have recognizable names that will draw people in. Or the creative team pitched the book. Either way, that doesn't mean Moon Knight is being pushed hard. It's not being pushed at all. He's got a new ongoing, but for it to be pushed in any high level or whatever, there'd have to be Moon Knight appearances up the wah-zoo, event centered around him, etc. There isn't.

He was in Age of Ultron.

Two comic appearances in the span of how many years? Yeah. That's popularity growing...

I was at work and was thinking off the top of my head. She's been in more comics the past four years than she was since her creation to 2010. I'm not saying that she couldn't show up, I'm saying I WANT her to show up.

Wall-E still spoke. He just said his name only. Like a Pokemon. :wink:

:p

Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and the Aaron/Perez WATX arc last year are the only places I've seen it show up recently. Unless there's been plenty of other places, two times in two years isn't exactly "a lot." I'm not saying the Savage Land isn't or wouldn't show up in the MCU at all, just that it won't be very soon or any time soon.

2011-2014: Skaar: King of the Savage Land, What If? Age of Ultron, Avengers World, All-New X-Men, Avengers vs. X-Men, New Avengers, Venom, Avenging Spider-Man, Hawkeye & Mockingbird, Incredible Hulks, New Warriors, Wolverine and the X-Men, Claws 2, Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man, Deadpool Kills Deadpool, Avengers, Women of Marvel, Savage Wolverine, Elektra, Deadpool, Ka-Zar, Avengers Academy, Age of Ultron and, AVX: Vs

It also showed up in all three Marvel Universe cartoons.

No, you only asked if he didn't find them compelling; you didn't say anything because of him not wanting the characters showing up.

I was assuming. I didn't think I needed to say that either.

He was in Age of Ultron.
Ah, that's right. Still doesn't change anything, though.

I was at work and was thinking off the top of my head. She's been in more comics the past four years than she was since her creation to 2010. I'm not saying that she couldn't show up, I'm saying I WANT her to show up.
Don't remember anything else. Must be in something I didn't read or forgot about then. Also, she was created in 1992. :wink:

2011-2014: Skaar: King of the Savage Land, What If? Age of Ultron, Avengers World, All-New X-Men, Avengers vs. X-Men, New Avengers, Venom, Avenging Spider-Man, Hawkeye & Mockingbird, Incredible Hulks, New Warriors, Wolverine and the X-Men, Claws 2, Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man, Deadpool Kills Deadpool, Avengers, Women of Marvel, Savage Wolverine, Elektra, Deadpool, Ka-Zar, Avengers Academy, Age of Ultron and, AVX: Vs

It also showed up in all three Marvel Universe cartoons.
Ok yeah, that is a lot. A lot of those I didn't read. Forgot about AvX. However, that still isn't any indication for it showing up in the MCU just because of all those appearances.

Ah, that's right. Still doesn't change anything, though.

I know, I just think he could make a really good TV series :\ I want these characters and am creating lame excuses for them to appear haha

Don't remember anything else. Must be in something I didn't read or forgot about then. Also, she was created in 1992. :wink:

To be honest it's mostly because of Dan Slott. She appeared in 1991 and didn't show up again until 2005. Then Bendis had her be a nanny and between the two of them has been most of her appearences. I just want the person who beat Thanos single-handedly in the MCU.

Ok yeah, that is a lot. A lot of those I didn't read. Forgot about AvX. However, that still isn't any indication for it showing up in the MCU just because of all those appearances.

True, but it is still a lot.

I can see Man-Thing as a supporting character in a horror type Marvel movie, or even a guest star role in AoS, but I doubt he'll get a solo film.
I wasn't suggesting a solo movie, just that I'd love to see him be a part of the MCU (yes, I know that he already technically is, we just haven't seen him). An appearance in AoS or a Dr. Strange movie was exactly what I had in mind.

The Runaways script was written a long time ago. Back before the first Iron Man movie came out.
I am aware, but I believe Feige mentioned it in an interview a while back and said that it would still fit into the MCU. And whatever that old script is, the point was that a Runaways movie would be cool.

EDIT: The inverview I mentioned was on the Empire podcast (#120) just a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
I'm giving you an example of a movie where the main attraction never talks. Need a horror example? Friday the 13th, Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. Marvel can make it work.

Oh my God you enjoy being difficult. Again, completely lame comparisons. Those are all knife and chainsaw-wielding mass murderers. Man-Thing is a very different character, and presumably if you're going to make a film about him he'd be the main character, not the antagonist. Those horror films all feature characters who act as the main characters who DO speak, and are chased and killed by the antagonist characters. Man-Thing would likely make the character somewhat understandable and sympathetic, something the films you listed DON'T DO with their antagonists. Hence those films not being titles Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, and Leatherface. Guess what? If a Man-Thing solo film were to be made, it's title would most likely be Man-Thing and it's focus would be on Man-Thing.

I thought saying that you'd have to modernize it would be redundant, guess not.

It would no longer really be based on Gerber's run, then, would it? Please, think about what you're saying.

What do you have against Squirrel Girl and Forbush Man?

They're idiotic characters.

Heh. Funny.

Oh my God you enjoy being difficult. Again, completely lame comparisons. Those are all knife and chainsaw-wielding mass murderers. Man-Thing is a very different character, and presumably if you're going to make a film about him he'd be the main character, not the antagonist. Those horror films all feature characters who act as the main characters who DO speak, and are chased and killed by the antagonist characters. Man-Thing would likely make the character somewhat understandable and sympathetic, something the films you listed DON'T DO with their antagonists. Hence those films not being titles Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, and Leatherface. Guess what? If a Man-Thing solo film were to be made, it's title would most likely be Man-Thing and it's focus would be on Man-Thing.

I was referring to horror films where the antagonists didn't speak as reference on making Man-Thing scary and sympathetic (you do start to somewhat pity Michael Myers and Jason the further the series goes). Okay, lemme break it down for you. Man-Thing WOULD be a main character, he'd be fighting some Marvel villain, and the movie would also have human main characters (Stephanie Szostak could return so we could see how she got those scars). HOWEVER Man-Thing would be more like how Godzilla is a main character in his movies. We'd get scenes of him alone interacting with animals and nature to make him sympathetic but from the humans' side he's a monster (people fear what they don't understand). The bad guy's goal could be destroying the swamp or something like that (I'm not getting paid to write this so I'm going the cliche route). The movie would show the humans how they were wrong about Man-Thing and by the end he'd be the hero in their eyes. I threw in some Nolan Batman references to make it easier for you to read :p

More realistically though he'd probably be in Agents of SHIELD. ESPECIALLY with Mockingbird joining the cast.

It would no longer really be based on Gerber's run, then, would it? Please, think about what you're saying.

Please, I beg you, think about what I'm saying. I'm not saying adapt the stories. I'm saying adapt the concepts and tone. Gerber's run is best known for taking the whole talking Disney animal character idea and making it a sarcastic, mean, and kind of cynical character, teaming up with serious characters to go on wacky adventures, parodying movies and comics, and being fun. How can you NOT make a movie of this? This could be Marvel Studios' Deadpool movie and they wouldn't even have to use Deadpool.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back