Marvel Cinematic Universe News, Rumors, and Discussion

I figured we needed this thread because a lot of news and stuff has been posted in DIB's timeline thread. So this thread is for news and rumors, etc and the timeline thread can be kept for timeline discussion.

Good idea!

Wait, they actually thought it would be set in the 1970's? That doesn't make much sense given the larger MCU continuity. It would also essentially make it impossible (or extremely unlikely) for the eventual Defenders series to spring off into their own potential crossover films with the established MCU films.

I figured we needed this thread because a lot of news and stuff has been posted in DIB's timeline thread. So this thread is for news and rumors, etc and the timeline thread can be kept for timeline discussion.

That said…

Charlie Cox has been cast as Daredevil and the show is confirmed to be set in the present.

These shows going to get there own threads? Anyway I'm all for the Charlie Cox casting.

DIrishB said:
Wait, they actually thought it would be set in the 1970's? That doesn't make much sense given the larger MCU continuity. It would also essentially make it impossible (or extremely unlikely) for the eventual Defenders series to spring off into their own potential crossover films with the established MCU films.
I don't remember it ever being rumored to be set in the 70's but I feel like Marvel already made the wrong move with the whole old man Hank Pym. At least not with Daredevil.

These shows going to get there own threads? Anyway I'm all for the Charlie Cox casting. I don't remember it ever being rumored to be set in the 70's but I feel like Marvel already made the wrong move with the whole old man Hank Pym. At least not with Daredevil.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the Hank Pym being old thing. In fact I kind of like it as it adds a certain legacy aspect that the MCU has been lacking so far.

This isn't really MCU news, but the following link is an interview done with Clark Gregg about an indie film he wrote and directed last year (before Agents of SHIELD started) called "Trust Me":

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/05...t_source=external,manual,manual,manual#!REw4S

It also features some questions regarding AoS and Gregg mentioning he'd love to cameo on the Iron Fist series, as he was a huge Iron Fist fan as a kid. It's cool that he knows the material.

So there's been no whispers about a new One-Shot? Presumably there's gonna be one on the Winter Soldier BD/DVD, which comes out in August. Didn't we know about Peggy Carter and All Hail the King well in advance?

So there's been no whispers about a new One-Shot? Presumably there's gonna be one on the Winter Soldier BD/DVD, which comes out in August. Didn't we know about Peggy Carter and All Hail the King well in advance?

We knew about the Agent Carter one awhile in advance, but news of the All Hail the King one was leaked maybe a month before it came out? I can't remember exactly. But the One Shots are exclusive to the Blu Rays, they're not on the DVD versions. If there is one (which is likely as there've been One Shots on every Blu Ray since Captain America - TFA and Thor) we'll probably hear about it in June or July. If it's not leaked early we'll likely definitely get news at SDCC, along with updates on the Netflix shows (specifically Daredevil and maybe Jessica Jones), and most definitely news about 2016's releases (including probably an actual title for Captain America 3 and what will be out in the latter half of 2016).

Iron Man 3 China-Only Scenes Short Film

Around the release of Iron Man 3 on DVD / Blu-ray, I read that the Chinese exclusive IM3 scenes were going to be made into a short film and released with the DVD / Blu-ray. I could've linked to any number of pages, because it was reported on pretty much every website that reported on these sorts of things. However, I never saw anything come of it. Did I miss it?

A number of these sources were calling this short "The Prologue." I believe these are the scenes I'm trying to find (in a short film form).

So it's official: there won't be a new One-Shot on the Captain America - Winter Soldier Blu Ray.

That's disappointing. Hopefully this doesn't become the new norm, as I've rather enjoyed ALL of the One-Shots, and they're a great way of extending and exploring characters, plots, or other aspects of the MCU that the films don't. I'm really hoping there'll be a new One-Shot on the AoS Season 1 Blu Ray, or at the very least hope they collect the previous One-Shots on the DVD version of AoS Season 1.

Around the release of Iron Man 3 on DVD / Blu-ray, I read that the Chinese exclusive IM3 scenes were going to be made into a short film and released with the DVD / Blu-ray. I could've linked to any number of pages, because it was reported on pretty much every website that reported on these sorts of things. However, I never saw anything come of it. Did I miss it? A number of these sources were calling this short "The Prologue." I believe these are the scenes I'm trying to find (in a short film form).

Nope, you didn't miss it. As far as I know those scenes were never released for Western audiences, which is probably for the better since they add really nothing to the plot of the film other than introducing two characters who appear in the film for all of 5 minutes and results in just a weird, uneven, forced inclusion of those characters with a not very subtle advertisement for some Chinese drink product.

There was an interview with Kevin Feige in the latest Empire magazine (the June issue) and, while nothing really newsworthy, he did have some interesting things to say. A couple of quotes:

Has there been discussion about killing characters and making it stick?
You never know. [...] When appropriate to the story, we certainly will not hesitate. Frigga is dead. She's not coming back. Big funeral.

There's a thematic link in Phase 2, in that Captain America, Iron Man and Thor are each attacked where they live and then go on the run. Does that continue in Guardians of the Galaxy?
Well, what's funny is most of the Guardians have been attacked where they live, before the movie starts. That's what makes them these loners that team up.

What's the current state of play of [Dr. Strange]?
We have stories in development, we're meeting with filmmakers and we could be making announcements if all the pieces fall into place quickly.

Edgar Wright has been developing Ant-Man for almost a decade, before Marvel Studios even existed. Has he had to retrofit his movie to fit in with the MCU?
A little bit. Not much. There's been a little bit of connective tissue that wouldn't have been there in his draft ten years ago. We changed, frankly, some of the MCU to accommodate this version of Ant-Man. Knowing what we wanted to do with Edgar and with Ant-Man, going years and years back, helped to dictate what we did with the roster for Avengers the first time. It was a bit of both in terms of his idea for the Ant-Man story influencing the birth of the MCU in the early films leading up to Avengers.

He also doesn't rule out expanding to three films a year, but says it has to happen organically and the ideas have to be there, not just deciding to make more movies.

Especially the bit about Wright Ant-Man idea influencing the MCU early on was interesting. But I guess it just means they decided to leave Pym out of Phase 1 because they knew Wright would do it at a later date (although of course now he won't).

Last edited:
It's interesting how he mentions Ant-Man influencing the "birth" of the MCU.

I really wonder what is going on with that movie now. Whatever director they hire is going to have to work fast in terms of pre-production oversight (going over the script, costumes, etc). Of course Marvel's tight control over those elements means that's already largely been done, and it's a "take it as is and do what we say" kind of deal.

I'm excited to see this interpretation of Kingpin. The whole Daredevil live action show has me excited.

I wish Marvel would get the rights to Spider-Man back and do the same thing. Ugh.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=101669

This has some interesting spoilers for Avengers - Age of Ultron. I won't mention them here, other than that apparently Avengers 2 picks up immediately after the CA-TWS mid credits scene showing Strucker and the imprisoned Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

Given the fact that scene has Strucker being informed of the failed Hydra takeover of SHIELD at the end of CA-TWS, it must take place very soon after the final battle at the Triskelion in that film. Therefore, CA-TWS, it's mid and end credits scene, and Avengers - Age of Ultron all happen within a relatively small span of time, least according to the rumors/spoilers. Of course it's possible none of the rumors are true, but LR's Marvel scoops have all been quite accurate, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

There'll probably be a line in Avengers 2 mentioning when the Chitauri invasion occurred, so that'll probably help pin down placement better. We'll see.

Latest posts

Back