Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

Pretty consistent with Helstrom's rules that when a non-corporeal being possesses a host that destroying that host basically eradicates them since they are BOUND to that body.

Last edited:
Watched it. The Illuminati are all variants more or less to set up a real one in the future.
Xavier, Black Bolt and Mr Fantastic are all variants from different timelines. Black Bolt in particular isn't even his Earth-199999 counterpart presumably.

Just got back from Dr Strange MoM and was trying my best to keep track of everything going on (I got most of it but there were a few things that the more I thought about the harder they were to explain away)

Ok so Where wasn't there any mention of Vision from Earth 843? (Illuminati) and Wanda cares about Billy and Tommy so much to implode whole universes to be with them but she doesn't find a version with her kids AND Vision (I find that hard to believe tbh)

The Illuminati, tbh I kinda got spoiled about Reed Richards,black bolt and Monica but it was still boggling my mind how cool it was to see them all together (Also was their universes events that lead to thanos' death also in 2018?) Also I'm fine with them all being variants (with the exception of Captain Carter and Professor Xavier - So is that a future version of Captain Carter from What if or is it a variant of a variant? And regarding Charles does that mean the X-Men cartoon and renewal season is canon? Because Captain Carter was from the same universe as Charles and Reed so if not sure

Regarding Timeline Placement- Easily February or March 2025 no doubt in my mind
Including both post credits scenes

Just got back from Dr Strange MoM and was trying my best to keep track of everything going on (I got most of it but there were a few things that the more I thought about the harder they were to explain away)

Ok so Where wasn't there any mention of Vision from Earth 843? (Illuminati) and Wanda cares about Billy and Tommy so much to implode whole universes to be with them but she doesn't find a version with her kids AND Vision (I find that hard to believe tbh)

The Illuminati, tbh I kinda got spoiled about Reed Richards,black bolt and Monica but it was still boggling my mind how cool it was to see them all together (Also was their universes events that lead to thanos' death also in 2018?) Also I'm fine with them all being variants (with the exception of Captain Carter and Professor Xavier - So is that a future version of Captain Carter from What if or is it a variant of a variant? And regarding Charles does that mean the X-Men cartoon and renewal season is canon? Because Captain Carter was from the same universe as Charles and Reed so if not sure

I think what we're supposed to take from that is that they COULD be from the Captain Carter universe, which means Xavier and Reed would still exist at some point in the MCU but they existed earlier than expected in CC's reality, and there's this domino effect of minor to significant changes like with Monica and Black Bolt.

Speaking of X-Men cartoon, I doubt it's MCU canon simply based on the fact it's connected to the 1992 cartoon which in no way can be an MCU branch.

As for Vision, eh, the MCU (Earth-199999) is secluded or barricaded off from the rest of the grander Marvel Multiverse I take it.

I think what we're supposed to take from that is that they COULD be from the Captain Carter universe, which means Xavier and Reed would still exist at some point in the MCU but they existed earlier than expected in CC's reality, and there's this domino effect of minor to significant changes like with Monica and Black Bolt.

Speaking of X-Men cartoon, I doubt it's MCU canon simply based on the fact it's connected to the 1992 cartoon which in no way can be an MCU branch.

As for Vision, eh, the MCU (Earth-199999) is secluded or barricaded off from the rest of the grander Marvel Multiverse I take it.
What about the Illuminati Ultron bots then they would still have to go through similar events that happened in Age of Ultron in the MCU

Captain America and the Fantastic Four exist in Earth-92131 (X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons), so it's not the same reality. It is a reference to that version, though. The true version of the X-Men animated Xavier had an official death already in the X-Men '92 comics, so unless he universe hopped qnd this is during X-Men '92: House of XCII and the X-Men resurrected him, it can't be the same version. Technically it could be the X-Men movie Xavier though the multiple timelines in Deadpool 2 but that's really convoluted to explain so let's just say he's a new version.

As for Captain Carter, it definitely could be her reality... but I mean, come on. That's horrifying. I don't mind it, but I don't want it at the same time. That would mean future What If...? Episodes are prequels to her gruesome death. Sounds pretty dark.

Also, Inhumans canon. Anson Mount plays an alternate "divergent" timeline version of MCU Black Bolt. This also implies that John Krasinski is MCU Reed (which, please be the case) and... Patrick Stewart is MCU Xavier? Maybe he was born earlier in this specific timeline here or he found a way to maintain youth, because I doubt they'll get Patrick Stewart when the MCU X-Men movies are definitely going to play out over several decades. I would love to see more Patrick Stewart variants, of course.

So, the film specifies the time between NWH and MoM? (haven't seen the film, my screening is tomorrow, only saw the Illuminati members leaks)

So, the film specifies the time between NWH and MoM? (haven't seen the film, my screening is tomorrow, only saw the Illuminati members leaks)
no but judging by the trees and the type of clothes people wear at the start and the end of the movie (it spans somewhere around 3 or 4 days for the bulk of the film with maybe a week or 2 jump near the very end)

In an press interview for the film someone said its only been a few months since NWH (which happens in Nov 2024 for the majority) so id say 3 or 4 months is when its set.

Ok, so they are not diferent universes but diferent multiverses?
Yes. The MCU is not set within the comic mutliverse anymore. Earth-199999 was it's designation originally but clearly this is being retconned, tho it's still likely that Earth-199999 still exsists as an earth bearing strong similarities to the MCU. But now the MCU is Earth-616 and this makes it an adaptation of the comics mutliverse and not part of the comics multiverse. Basically two versions of the MCU exsist, as Earth-19999 in the Comic Multiverse and as Earth-616 in the Film Multiverse

Yes. The MCU is not set within the comic mutliverse anymore. Earth-199999 was it's designation originally but clearly this is being retconned, tho it's still likely that Earth-199999 still exsists as an earth bearing strong similarities to the MCU. But now the MCU is Earth-616 and this makes it an adaptation of the comics mutliverse and not part of the comics multiverse. Basically two versions of the MCU exsist, as Earth-19999 in the Comic Multiverse and as Earth-616 in the Film Multiverse
I've already thoroughly explained why this is wrong. You can't just decide that the MCU isn't Earth-199999. That's just a fact Marvel have never disputed. Clearly, there's a layer of cosmic separation between the two allowing the MCU to act independently to the comics multiverse, but it's still factually the same grander multiverse.

In fact:
SO, THERE'S THE BRANCHES, RIGHT, WHICH IS LIKE THE ALTERNATIVE REALITY. BUT THEN SOMETHING, YOU'LL SEE IT, IT'S VERY SUBTLE BUT IN THE VERY LAST SHOT WHERE YOU SEE THE MULTIVERSE, THERE'S LIKE BASICALLY OTHER BIGGER PHYSICAL TIMELINE BRANCHES. SO, IT'S ALMOST LIKE THESE DIFFERENT SEPARATE TREES THAT ARE NOW CONNECTING.

IT'S ALMOST LIKE A BRIDGE. IF YOU IMAGINE THE BRANCH, IT IS LIKE ANOTHER REALITY. BUT IF THE BRANCH EXTENDS BEYOND A CERTAIN POINT, IT WILL THEN CONNECT TO OTHER PHYSICAL TIMELINES. […] THAT LAST SHOT WE DID, THERE ARE OTHER LIKE THICKER [BRANCHES] THAT ARE MEANT TO BE LIKE OUR TIMELINE. AND THERE ARE OTHER TIMELINES LIKE THAT AND THE BRANCHES ARE THE CONNECTORS BASICALLY.

This literally confirms what I've been saying.

I've already thoroughly explained why this is wrong. You can't just decide that the MCU isn't Earth-199999. That's just a fact Marvel have never disputed. Clearly, there's a layer of cosmic separation between the two allowing the MCU to act independently to the comics multiverse, but it's still factually the same grander multiverse.

In fact:

This literally confirms what I've been saying.
Nothing has stated it's the comics mutliverse that it connects to at the end of Loki just that it's connecting to new branches. Also them stating the MCU is Earth-616 in a film is them in fact disputing that it's Earth-199999. If they considered it Earth-199999 they would've said that but they didn't. Like it or not we have two offical Earth-616s now and they clearly aren't the same. They are two different multiverses with the only connection being one is an adaptation of the other.

I didn't just, as you said, "decide" it's not Earth-199999 Marvel did and they officially stated it in Mutliverse of Madness and Loki even referenced this as well. Like it or not it's been retconned

Last edited:
Nothing has stated it's the comics mutliverse that it connects to at the end of Loki just that it's connecting to new branches. Also them stating the MCU is Earth-616 in a film is them in fact disputing that it's Earth-199999. If they considered it Earth-199999 they would've said that but they didn't. Like it or not we have two offical Earth-616s now and they clearly aren't the same. They are two different multiverses with the only connection being one is an adaptation of the other.
Marvel doesn't consider Earth-199999 an alternate MCU like you're suggesting. They consider it the exact same MCU that this timeline is based on. If the MCU is officially considered Earth-199999, which it is, and Earth-616, which it is, then logically it has to do with the branches and pre-existing universes in Loki. You can't just pretend that the MCU isn't Earth-199999. That's an established canonical fact and it doesn't matter what this movie calls it.

What If...? is the multiverse created from those branches. It is what you can call the MCU's multiverse due to the events of Loki.

We know that universes exist that were unconnected to the "sacred timeline". Kang stated he "isolated" the MCU from the multiverse, not destroyed the multiverse. Obviously, the multiverse that he was talking about must be these unconnected trees. At the end of Loki, the MCU's branches connect to pre-existing realities that are not branches of the MCU, the only explanation is that that is the Marvel Multiverse. I'm sure that was the intention because it means that they are able to craft their own multiverse so to speak without stepping on the toes of the greater Marvel Multiverse.

Basically, the MCU, What If...?, Sony's Spider-Man Universe, Raimiverse, Webbverse and the Illuminati's universe are all part of the branches seen at the end of Loki. All of this MCU multiverse stuff is connected to that, and yes, the MCU is Earth-616 here.

The comics are their own part of the multiverse with their own specific branches. They are the closet to the "core" part of the multiverse. In fact, because they haven't been isolated from the rest, their numbering designation is the most "true" if such a thing exists.

But all of it is the same multiverse until EXPLICITLY stated otherwise.

Reminds me of when Smallville called their reality Earth-1 and the Arrowverse called their reality Earth-1 but it turns out the people in Earth-167 just had less understanding of the multiverse. The Illuminati most likely can't see beyond the "MCU Multiverse", so their Earth-616 is the MCU.

I'm trying to tell you that it is the same multiverse but actually isolated from the other realities.

Marvel doesn't consider Earth-199999 an alternate MCU like you're suggesting. They consider it the exact same MCU that this timeline is based on. If the MCU is officially considered Earth-199999, which it is, and Earth-616, which it is, then logically it has to do with the branches and pre-existing universes in Loki. You can't just pretend that the MCU isn't Earth-199999. That's an established canonical fact and it doesn't matter what this movie calls it.
I'm saying that Earth-199999 has no been retconned into Earth-616 and logically that means two Earth-616s cannot exsist within the same multiverse meaning it highly likely the MCU Earth-616 is simply an adaptation of the comics Earth-616. I'm not pretending it isn't, Marvel Studios have officially shown in 2 different projects that it's considered Earth-616. The only thing that establishes the MCU is Earth-199999 are old comic reference books and it's very reasonable to assume it's been retconned

What If...? is the multiverse created from those branches. It is what you can call the MCU's multiverse due to the events of Loki.
That's true I'm not disagreeing with this

We know that universes exist that were unconnected to the "sacred timeline". Kang stated he "isolated" the MCU from the multiverse, not destroyed the multiverse. Obviously, the multiverse that he was talking about must be these unconnected trees. At the end of Loki, the MCU's branches connect to pre-existing realities that are not branches of the MCU, the only explanation is that that is the Marvel Multiverse. I'm sure that was the intention because it means that they are able to craft their own multiverse so to speak without stepping on the toes of the greater Marvel Multiverse.
Basically, the MCU, What If...?, Sony's Spider-Man Universe, Raimiverse, Webbverse and the Illuminati's universe are all part of the branches seen at the end of Loki. All of this MCU multiverse stuff is connected to that, and yes, the MCU is Earth-616 here.
Nothing has stated where those universes branch from or how they connect. Nothing has said the Raimiverse branched from the MCU, for all we know that could be on the the universes it connected back to. Everything you've said here is an assumption on which universes are which and where they branch from.

The comics are their own part of the multiverse with their own specific branches. They are the closet to the "core" part of the multiverse.

But all of it is the same multiverse until EXPLICITLY stated otherwise.
On the contrary with what we know now that Marvel Studios considers the MCU as Earth-616 we cannot assume it shares the same mutliverse as the comics Earth-616 until EXPLICITLY stated otherwise and nothing, save an old reference books for the comics and one the films have now EXPLICITLY contradicted, states they are part of the same mutliverse

Reminds me of when Smallville called their reality Earth-1 and the Arrowverse called their reality Earth-1 but it turns out the people in Earth-167 just had less understanding of the multiverse. The Illuminati most likely can't see beyond the "MCU Multiverse", so their Earth-616 is the MCU.
How the Marvel and DC multiverses work are quite different but again Smallville becoming Earth-167 was a retcon. And that part with the Illuminati is just you making another assumption to make two separate pieces of information from two different sources fit.

I'm trying to tell you that it is the same multiverse but actually isolated from the other realities.
I'm trying to tell you a retcon has happened. Nothing officially licensed by Marvel Studios has labeled the MCU as Earth-199999 but now two projects have labeled it as Earth-616 and there is no way Marvel has two Earth-616s exsisting in the same multiverse. The only logical assumption to make here is that if Marvel wanted them to be separate universes within the same mutliverse they would've called the MCU Earth-199999 or given it a new designation but they EXPLICITLY stated this is Earth-616 and unless Marvel has started having multiple universes with the same designation or universes with multiple designations, which absolutely nothing supports, it's likely to assume they are separate earths in separate multiverses.

Sorry but the only offical source to my knowledge stating the MCU is Earth-199999 is a reference book from 2008-10, one that is unconnected to Marvel Studios or the films in any way and only relevant to the comics. Considering two new sources in the past year have contradicted this It's pretty clear the 14 year old reference book has been retconned.

Last edited:
Sorry but the only offical source to my knowledge stating the MCU is Earth-199999 is a reference book from 2008-10, one that is unconnected to Marvel Studios or the films in any way and only relevant to the comics. Considering two new sources in the past year have contradicted this It's pretty clear the 14 year old reference book has been retconned.
Those guidebooks that you speak of link to a continuously updated site that works closely with Marveo and includes every designated universe. The MCU is designated Earth-199999 and it hasn't been changed. The MCU is both Earth-199999 to the greater Marvel Multiverse, as that is a fact, and Earth-616 to the "Marvel Cinematic Multiverse". It's relatively simple, honestly. You're trying to make it out like there's two Earth-616s that occupy the same space but that's not true at all.
They are different universes in the same multiverse within different multiversal trees.

Imagine that you have a forest. That forest is the Marvel Multiverse.

Each tree is a different multiversal section. Each leaf is a universe. The MCU is the 199999th leaf in the forest (Marvel Multiverse). It is also the 616th leaf in the tree ("Marvel Cinematic Multiverse"). It is therefore both Earth-199999 and Earth-616.

Marvel still consider the MCU Earth-199999 abd this isn't going to change that.
Read this.

Those guidebooks that you speak of link to a continuously updated site that works closely with Marveo and includes every designated universe. The MCU is designated Earth-199999 and it hasn't been changed. The MCU is both Earth-199999 to the greater Marvel Multiverse, as that is a fact, and Earth-616 to the "Marvel Cinematic Multiverse". It's relatively simple, honestly. You're trying to make it out like there's two Earth-616s that occupy the same space but that's not true at all.

Read this.
Okay...I think we're saying the same thing kinda? I agree that the MCU is both Earth-199999 and Earth-616. I think what you consider "Multiverse Sections" I'm calling "Seperate Multiverses" and what you're calling the "Grander Multiverse" is more of a multiverse of multiverses where in one it's Earth-199999 and one it's Earth-616. Like there's a Comic Section/Tree and a Movie Section/Tree each with their own branches and earths and the MCU has one on both branches?

Best kinda comparison I can think of is Star Wars, how there's Canon and Legends and Epsidoes 1-6 are canon to both. There's the Comics and the Films and the MCU is canon to both sections? Cause that's kinda what I'm saying here

I'm not saying Earth-199999 doesn't exsist. I. Just saying in the comics multiverse it's called that and in the film Multiverse its Earth-616. Same earth, separate Multiversal continuites or tress/sections like you say

Now that some have seen DS2, I just have to say that the more they play around with the multiverse, the stupider the Ralph Bohner joke becomes...

Those guidebooks that you speak of link to a continuously updated site that works closely with Marvel and includes every designated universe.
Speaking of, Marvel just updated with the What If...? Earth numbers.

Earth-21818 - What If... T'Challa Became a Star-Lord?
Earth-29929 - What If... Ultron Won?
Earth-32938 - What If... Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?
Earth-51825 - What If... The World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?
Earth-72124 - What If... Thor Were an Only Child?
Earth-82111 - What If... Captain Carter Were The First Avenger? Earth-843 in MoM (hopefully not)?
Earth-89521 - What If... Zombies!?
Earth-91233 - What If.. Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?

As you can see, they still consider it part of the Marvel Multiverse. Earth-199999 for the win, hehe.

Last edited:
Speaking of, Marvel just updated with the What If...? Earth numbers.
Earth-21818 - What If... T'Challa Became a Star-Lord?
Earth-29929 - What If... Ultron Won?
Earth-32938 - What If... Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?
Earth-51825 - What If... The World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?
Earth-72124 - What If... Thor Were an Only Child?
Earth-82111 - What If... Captain Carter Were The First Avenger? Earth-843 in MCM (hopefully not)?
Earth-89521 - What If... Zombies!?
Earth-91233 - What If.. Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?

As you can see, they still consider it part of the Marvel Multiverse.
Personally, while watching the movie I took Earth 843 as being an entirely distinct universe with variations of previously established characters. The everyday world of Earth-843 had some distinct cultural differences, with the USA feeling like a foreign country in some ways (reversed traffic lights, Pizza balls).
quick google indicates that traffic lights were invented in 1868, this indicates that 843's divergent point may be far earlier than any preexisting timeline

Latest posts

Back