Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

I was going through Season 2 recently as well, and doesn't it have to be set in 2014 until at least after 2x08? In 2x06, Coulson had threatened Ward's brother by saying that he'd release the info abour Ward's Hydra association, which Coulson said would be especially damaging "in an election year," suggesting they were in October or the first three days of November 2014 at the latest. Then 2x08 has a caption at the end dating a scene in 1989 to "25 years ago."

But I'm not sure how that's supposed to work if the episodes are all consecutive starting from 2x04.[/SPOILER]

I'm not DIrishB, nor am I in tune with how he structures the timeline, but I think for the sake of how episodes are more consecutive after 2x04, we could assume that Coulson meant that it would be bad in an election year figuratively. In other words, it would have been worse for Ward's brother if it was still 2014.

As for the 1989 and "25 years ago" stamp...I think if it were, like very late 1989 when that scene occurred, it could literally be like 25 years plus a few months later based on DIrishB's March placement for 2x08.

Just my two cents.

Hello, bit of a long-time lurker/fan of this thread, jumping in if you don't mind. :D

Not at all.

I was going through Season 2 recently as well, and doesn't it have to be set in 2014 until at least after 2x08? In 2x06, Coulson had threatened Ward's brother by saying that he'd release the info abour Ward's Hydra association, which Coulson said would be especially damaging "in an election year," suggesting they were in October or the first three days of November 2014 at the latest. Then 2x08 has a caption at the end dating a scene in 1989 to "25 years ago."

But I'm not sure how that's supposed to work if the episodes are all consecutive starting from 2x04.

Yeah, this is the main problem with Season 2 and why I've had so much trouble pinning down its placement. The first three episodes allow some wiggle room to insert breaks between 2x02 and 2x03, and 2x03 and 2x04. But that's literally only places that can happen in Season 2. There just aren't any other break points afterward where we can insert multiple months between the episodes after 2x04. And the One Year Earlier tag in 2x20, combined with the Age of Ultron crossover episodes firmly placing end of season, means there's really no way to make it work for both instances, so I just chose to ignore that. Maybe we can assume Coulson was referring to fact it was early 2015 and campaigning and campaign donations had already begun (obviously that wasn't original intent but there's no real way to make it work otherwise). I really don't know how to make it work otherwise. :(

It's been a long time since I watched 3x22 but I don't remember any more terrigen getting spilled in the ocean. Wasn't that only in 2x22?

It was, that was a brain fart on my part. That just means Nadeer's brother wasn't immediately exposed to terrigen through the fish oil pills, and that it was over a year after the terrigen was dropped into ocean in 2x22 that he finally was exposed.

Maybe he just worked at FedEx for a few years? My guess, if I were to work some continuity into it, would be to say that he really did get fired from the Smithsonian (his cameo in The Winter Soldier) like he was worried he would, and then found a job with FedEx (and by the time of Ant-Man, a second job as a bartender).

Right, but the main issue is that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 only picks up a couple months after the first film, so its firmly set in 2014. Civil War, where Lee portrayed the FedEx driver, is firmly set in 2016. I like to think, since he really enjoyed the FedEx job (think he says that in the GotG 2 first scene, but maybe not), that timeline works like this: He held a job with Fedex sometime in the past, before Winter Soldier; he was fired from Smithsonian at the end of 2013 due to losing the Cap costume. Not long after he was on another planet (maybe reporting to the Watchers, perhaps he gives annual reports?) where his cameo from first Guardians film plays in. He is still out in the galaxy for his cameo in GotG Vol 2. He returned to Earth sometime after, where he eventually attended the Avengers party in Age of Ultron (perhaps to specifically keep an eye on them and interact with them for his reports to Watchers). He may or may not have been bartending around that time (setting up Ant-Man cameo)... perhaps his trying the Asgardian ale Thor gave him in AoU led him to the bartending job, lol. Sometime in late 2015 or early 2016 he got the job as Fedex driver again because he enjoyed it.

That's probably it. Having seen the film, I think people are overthinking this point in terms of it being a continuity error. He doesn't actually mention the events of Civil War, as mentioned, and this was probably a deliberate choice so as not to create a continuity error while at the same time reminding the audience of his role in Civil War. Heck, Stan Lee is also Larry King in this universe, and it's not like Larry King's presumed continued career post Iron Man II was seen as a contradiction with his day jobs at FedEx, etc. :D

I like to think, now that his presence in the MCU has been confirmed as being an
agent of the Watchers
, he also has the ability to alter his appearance. So, when he was Larry King, he was the agent posing as Larry King, and that everyone in the MCU saw Larry King's face instead of Lee's using some advanced holographic tech or something. Its just the audience who are clued in that he is Lee and see him as that.

Even if the events of Civil War have already occured from Stan Lee's perspective, don't the Watchers have some kind of control over space and time? It's possible that Rocket just managed to hit a pocket of space/time created by the Watchers that exists outside of the MCU's normal time and space.

Eh, I thinks its just simpler to assume he held the job at two different points. He was a Fedex driver sometime in past to explain his comments in GotG 2, and returned to the job sometime before Civil War.

Also noteworthy for timeline purposes:
Given that Groot is an adolescent in one of the post-credit scenes, we can probably assume that this particular scene takes place a year or more after the movie, depending on the life cycle of a Groot, of course.

TC

Good point. Especially since he'll be fully grown (beyond his original 18 year old or so appearance in first film--thats according to Vin Diesel) in Infinity War. That said, we know in a couple months Groot aged from newborn to toddler, so each month is reflective of around a couple years of growth compared to human life cycles. Therefore, figuring he's around 14-16 in that post credit scene, that'd be around 6-7 months later (assuming growth rate is even).

I'm not DIrishB, nor am I in tune with how he structures the timeline, but I think for the sake of how episodes are more consecutive after 2x04, we could assume that Coulson meant that it would be bad in an election year figuratively. In other words, it would have been worse for Ward's brother if it was still 2014.

That's a fair assumption.

As for the 1989 and "25 years ago" stamp...I think if it were, like very late 1989 when that scene occurred, it could literally be like 25 years plus a few months later based on DIrishB's March placement for 2x08.

Just my two cents.

Exactly.

Last edited:
Watchers have the ability to travel through time, dimensions, and space. It's perfectly reasonable to assume their informant can too

Stan Lee is also Larry King in this universe, and it's not like Larry King's presumed continued career post Iron Man II was seen as a contradiction with his day jobs at FedEx, etc

I like to think, now that his presence in the MCU has been confirmed as being an
agent of the Watchers
, he also has the ability to alter his appearance. So, when he was Larry King, he was the agent posing as Larry King, and that everyone in the MCU saw Larry King's face instead of Lee's using some advanced holographic tech or something. Its just the audience who are clued in that he is Lee and see him as that.

I thought it was just a whole joke about how Tony doesn't recognise he, following on from calling him Hugh Heffner in the first Iron Man.

A great continuity point about his character though is how in Ultron he has a hat saying "ww2 veteran" which we know to be true, being a military official in Captain America

Last edited:
Off topic. But surely the movie rights to the Watchers are part of the Fantastic Four package and owned by Fox, right? What's going on here?

Going through your timeline to see how your new SHIELD times are/update my copy and I've found a little problem.

You've got:

January 20
Jessica Jones 1x06: "AKA You're a Winner" (0:28:36 - 0:29:39)
Jessica Jones 1x03: "AKA It's Called Whiskey" (0:41:02 - 0:42:25)

????
Jessica Jones 1x05: "AKA The Sandwich Saved Me" (0:17:42 - 0:18:24)
Jessica Jones 1x05: "AKA The Sandwich Saved Me" (0:23:20 - 0:24:33)
Jessica Jones 1x05: "AKA The Sandwich Saved Me" (0:36:05 - 0:38:40)
Jessica Jones 1x10: "AKA 1,000 Cuts" (0:26:35 - 0:26:54)
Jessica Jones 1x10: "AKA 1,000 Cuts" (0:27:24 - 0:29:06)
Jessica Jones 1x10: "AKA 1,000 Cuts" (0:29:27 - 0:30:16)

1x06 and 1x03 show the end of Jessica's relationship with Killgrave while 1x05 (0:36:05 - 0:38:40) shows them meeting with the flashbacks in 1x10 dealing with their relationship. I can't remember how long their relationship lasted to give the right place to put the flashbacks but it would have to be sometime in 2013 and not 2014

Not sure. Far as I know they're accurate. Can you list examples of what's off?

Sure, here's the jump in 1x03. You've got it marked at 1:15 on the timeline, but it occurs at about 1:27 when I play it on Netflix. (It doesn't show in the screencap properly, but the episode is 52:48, so 52:48 - 51:21 is 1:27.)

K888Y85

Same offset holds elsewhere. Just occurred to me that maybe you're working from a copy? That might cut out the Netflix intro at the beginning.

Off topic. But surely the movie rights to the Watchers are part of the Fantastic Four package and owned by Fox, right? What's going on here?

From what I've heard, Fox owns Uatu and can use The Watchers, but they don't own the Watchers as a race. Marvel gets to use the race, too. Same for the Skrull.

I thought it was just a whole joke about how Tony doesn't recognise he, following on from calling him Hugh Heffner in the first Iron Man.

A great continuity point about his character though is how in Ultron he has a hat saying "ww2 veteran" which we know to be true, being a military official in Captain America

Oh, it was definitely intended that way originally, and can still be viewed that way, just saying with the Lee as same character in all these films there'd be a logic in the idea he can change appearance. It's only a theory of mine, and not one I'm saying is the case, just would make a certain sense in the larger story and his presence as an agent of Watchers.

They were. We can assume that Marvel and Fox maybe worked out a deal to use the Watchers, or get their rights back completely. Perhaps that was part of the deal Marvel made with Fox for them to do the various X-Men TV series (like Legion). And who knows, maybe, just maybe, the FF and other related characters were part of that deal (though not sure that's the case). It would align with the post Phase 3 focus on more cosmos oriented characters after Infinity War. We'll see.

Going through your timeline to see how your new SHIELD times are/update my copy and I've found a little problem.

You've got:

January 20

????

1x06 and 1x03 show the end of Jessica's relationship with Killgrave while 1x05 (0:36:05 - 0:38:40) shows them meeting with the flashbacks in 1x10 dealing with their relationship. I can't remember how long their relationship lasted to give the right place to put the flashbacks but it would have to be sometime in 2013 and not 2014

I'll have to take a look, very well could be mistake on my part. So you're saying the following:

Should occur before (at least a year or so):

Sure, here's the jump in 1x03. You've got it marked at 1:15 on the timeline, but it occurs at about 1:27 when I play it on Netflix. (It doesn't show in the screencap properly, but the episode is 52:48, so 52:48 - 51:21 is 1:27.)

K888Y85

Same offset holds elsewhere. Just occurred to me that maybe you're working from a copy? That might cut out the Netflix intro at the beginning.

From what I've heard, Fox owns Uatu and can use The Watchers, but they don't own the Watchers as a race. Marvel gets to use the race, too. Same for the Skrull.

Yeah that might be why. I have Netflix but usually watch webrip copies for those shows when adding them to timeline cuz it's far easier to time code than it is watching it on TV and using remote to pause for time code purposes. I'll check that and can fix for the Netflix logo screen. Let me know if you noticed it in any other episodes.

They were. We can assume that Marvel and Fox maybe worked out a deal to use the Watchers, or get their rights back completely. Perhaps that was part of the deal Marvel made with Fox for them to do the various X-Men TV series (like Legion). And who knows, maybe, just maybe, the FF and other related characters were part of that deal (though not sure that's the case). It would align with the post Phase 3 focus on more cosmos oriented characters after Infinity War. We'll see.

Oh please oh please oh please oh please!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

So you're saying the following:

Should occur before (at least a year or so):

Yes.

I got it, time moves differently

- How long after Vol. 1 does Vol. 2 take place?
Around a couple of months...Like a couple of months Guardians-time. Like, if Peter Quill gets a haircut once a month, he'd have two haircuts between films.

It's a stretch, but it's an answer for now.

I've been saying this for months. Hell of a deal if it's true, Phase Fantastic Four and Legion.

Last edited:
I still think Legion is set in the MCU. It definitely doesn't fit in the X-Men timeline, and there's no friggin' way they'll waste the opportunity by placing it in neither universe.

Set it after Infinity War. Have it be the brink of the Mutant race. This is a continuity where there are no X-Men yet, and mutants are scarce.

Fun Fact: In the comics, Professor Xavier defeating the Shadow King is what inspired him to create the X-Men.
It looks the show might be heading in this direction since the Shadow King is apparently trying to find Xavier again.

Last edited:
Patrick Stewart is interested in appearing in Legion.

Not sure how to feel about that. I thought that Logan was the perfect swan song for his portrayal of Professor X.

I would rather see someone new or have James MacAvoy play a younger Xavier in the Legion(/MCU?) universe.

Last edited:
So how about the glaring retcon that GOTG v2 left with
Nebula's arm
?

Because the blue things Ego created on Earth and other planets were part of him, so these should've vanished with Ego's death. I think that's an important reason why no big responses were elicited

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back