Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

I'm pretty sure Talbot once said that the Battle of New York took place in 2012.

Doesn't this timeline also mean we have to move the placements for AoS S3 and S4?

He did. That said, when necessary I am willing to allow the films to override the TV shows in cases of continuity conflicts. But yeah, it would require shuffling/stretching out AoS Season 3, to a point that probably wouldn't work.

Again, let's not let one movie dictate what was previously established in numerous other MCU material for now. Let's wait and see if any future films reflect the "change".

But we can still have this image on file in case the change is permanent.

Relax. I'm not. I'm merely fielding input.

That said, it's pretty clear they did this retcon purposefully and intentionally and that it'll shape the continuity/timeline of the MCU going forward, specifically for Infinity War, Homecoming's sequel, and Avengers 4.

So, I DO think it's something that'll have to be addressed. Ultimately it means overriding at least some mentions in the TV show.

Also, the "4,772 Hours" episode is the breaking point for 2015 in the timeline (let alone the timing of events the films seem to place between then and 2017).

Good point.

I know; I was saying that if Groot is a tween in GotG Vol. 2's ending, then it's more likely to take place closer to Infinity War, rather than GotG Vol. 2 (unless his species has a long tween/teen period.

That's mostly the new timeline I've been thinking about, but there are a few issues I can think of, for the movies at least:

Apart from the timespan between The Avengers and Iron Man 3 being 2 years rather than 6 months (though it's fine since it wasn't stated in the film), and contradicting Talbot that the Chitauri invasion was in 2012:

-If Doctor Strange begins in 2016 and Civil War takes place in spring/summer 2017, then it may cause issue with the mention of Strange in WHiH prior to CW coming out. I can accept that they may have interviewed him before the accident and had the footage of the interview set to air several weeks after the fact, but I'm not really sure that they'd have the footage for that long before airing it a year and a few months later.

-In Civil War, Zemo says he'd been planning his revenge for a year, though you can make a case for him grieving for a year, then starting his revenge for a year after that.

But also in CW, Peter Parker says he's had his powers for 6 months, implying he's had them since early that year or late the previous year, which fits with what we have now. But he is also alluded to at the end of Ant-Man ("We've got a guy who jumps, we've got a guy who swings, we've got a guy who crawls up the walls...")

If Ant-Man takes place 2 years prior, then the reference might not work, since the context for it was that Falcon was looking for Ant-Man, meaning either he'd take more than a year to start looking for him, or it took a year for the information to get to Luis; or that Luis just came up with random powers as examples, which coincidentally happened to match up with Spider-Man whose origins are a year later.

That's all I can think of for now.

I live in Canada, and school starts here from mid- to late- August. I don't know if it does in New York.

Also really good points.

Here in US, it varies slightly by state, but most start school year in mid to late August. And Homecoming dances are usually held in late September/early October, which seems to align with the date on the prop ticket showing it was set in September.

The Black Panther Prelude Issue 1 of 2 just got solicited by Marvel for October 18. It says it's an "ALL-NEW, NEVER-BEFORE-TOLD tale set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe."
https://www.newsarama.com/35418-marvel-comics-october-2017-solicitations.html

Thanks for heads up, I'll get this added in tentatively.

The Amazon listing for the TPB has this summary:

Wakanda. The most technologically advanced nation in the world is protected by the mighty BLACK PANTHER! Before this fall's BLACK PANTHER film, learn how T'CHALLA became the legendary hero of Wakanda in this ALL-NEW, NEVER-BEFORE-TOLD tale set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe! See how the mantle was passed to the future king, in a time when super heroes were just emerging in the larger world.

Presumably that places it likely sometime after first Iron Man film but before first Avengers film?

Last edited:
But also in CW, Peter Parker says he's had his powers for 6 months, implying he's had them since early that year or late the previous year, which fits with what we have now. But he is also alluded to at the end of Ant-Man ("We've got a guy who jumps, we've got a guy who swings, we've got a guy who crawls up the walls...")

If Ant-Man takes place 2 years prior, then the reference might not work, since the context for it was that Falcon was looking for Ant-Man, meaning either he'd take more than a year to start looking for him, or it took a year for the information to get to Luis; or that Luis just came up with random powers as examples, which coincidentally happened to match up with Spider-Man whose origins are a year later.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

I live in Canada, and school starts here from mid- to late- August. I don't know if it does in New York.
Crazy Canadians :roll:

Here in US, it varies slightly by state, but most start school year in mid to late August. And Homecoming dances are usually held in late September/early October, which seems to align with the date on the prop ticket showing it was set in September.

No but seriously, really? I live in Ontario, and also have lived in New York State, and school has always started after Labour Day.

Actually, I think I do remember school starting a little bit earlier when I lived in Maryland, because it's too hot by the end of June, so they shifted the school year up a little earlier. But I thought after Labour Day was the norm.

No but seriously, really? I live in Ontario, and also have lived in New York State, and school has always started after Labour Day.

Actually, I think I do remember school starting a little bit earlier when I lived in Maryland, because it's too hot by the end of June, so they shifted the school year up a little earlier. But I thought after Labour Day was the norm.

It varies by state:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_day_of_school#United_States

Some of the northern states do start day after labor day, many others start around mid to late August.

There's only 4,722 hours (roughly 6.5 months) between Agents of SHIELD seasons 2 and 3 and only 6 months between seasons 3 and 4, which could make stretching out the series more difficult.

Would stretching out most of season three from 2015 to 2017 even work?

If all else fails, the wiki (for info) and this timeline are their best friend.

And for the timeline... The Wikia has a pretty accurate timeline... we are making some changes to the Phase One in the next few days... also, selfishmisery... why dou yo think it is crappy? Have you ever taken your time to read everything, even the evidence put in the References section??

Guys, it is a mistake, why don't you take it like that, it contradicts everything seen in the MCU, even the movie contradicts itself, if Rogers woke up 65 years after falling on the Artic, that would put the last scene of The First Avenger in 2010. According the stupid error on Homecoming, Avengers would take place in 2009... so, you can see the mistake in there right??

Also check fully the timeline we have in the wikia, I mean, come on...

And for the timeline... The Wikia has a pretty accurate timeline... we are making some changes to the Phase One in the next few days... also, selfishmisery... why dou yo think it is crappy? Have you ever taken your time to read everything, even the evidence put in the References section??

Guys, it is a mistake, why don't you take it like that, it contradicts everything seen in the MCU, even the movie contradicts itself, if Rogers woke up 65 years after falling on the Artic, that would put the last scene of The First Avenger in 2010. According the stupid error on Homecoming, Avengers would take place in 2009... so, you can see the mistake in there right??

Also check fully the timeline we have in the wikia, I mean, come on...

The thing is, its pretty clear they're going to utilize this going forward, so it may not be a mistake but a retcon. We'll just have to wait and see how Infinity War, the Homecoming sequel, and Avengers 4 treat the timeline, but if I had to guess they'll probably reinforce the timeline approach Homecoming is utilizing.

Would stretching out most of season three from 2015 to 2017 even work?

No. Not by any measure... no.

In terms of the episodes themselves, most follow one right after the other with VERY few break points.

And, given the fact Season 4 has hard dates setting it in April 2017 (regarding Mack's comments about his daughter), along with the show's internal timeline AND crossover aspects with Civil War, it simply can't work.

The thing is, its pretty clear they're going to utilize this going forward, so it may not be a mistake but a retcon. We'll just have to wait and see how Infinity War, the Homecoming sequel, and Avengers 4 treat the timeline, but if I had to guess they'll probably reinforce the timeline approach Homecoming is utilizing.

I don't think so. We have seen mistakes like that before in Phase One and haven't been mentioned after that. For example, we are putting Iron Man 1 in 2009 (The Marvel Timeline states 64 years before "I am Iron Man" Red Skull dies, which is in 1945) in this way, counting from 2009 itself it's been 8 years to Civil War. We have to find the best approach it can even if that mean to stretch it a lot. We are putting, tomorrow or the day after that, IM2-Thor-Hulk in 2010 because of Stark's file stating he stopped being CEO in 2010, also the Stark Expo Campaing stating the Expo begins in May 7th. Yeah, there is a "last year" referring to the events of Thor in The Avengers but there is also: "more than a year ago" since Banner last incident. Being on July 2010 this one. More than a year would be close to two years, but that is the best way to work. The Avengers is in 2012 as well as Iron Man 3. There is no mention in the movies but, hey!, Feige said that

Vision said in Civil War, 8 years since Stark revealed he is Iron Man, and two months later Homecoming takes place in (September 2016), that means Civil War in Late June is more accurate. Look at our reasoned dates in the timeline pages I think you will find it amusing. Having Avengers 8 years ago means it is the same year that Iron Man, with Cap's comment of being on ice for 65 years contradicting everything.

Also, in an interview Feige said that Peter was 5-6 on Iron Man and 9-10 in Avengers. Well, we know for sure the age of Parker is wrong, we know for sure there is a 3 years and a half between the events of Iron Man 1 and Avengers. So, having the first one in 2009 works very well. Even Feige knows that Avengers is in 2012.

Also you will find a very interesting solution for Slingshot-Season 3 flashforwards-Season 4 beggining... We have Slingshot on September 2016, several months before the begginign of The Ghost in March 2017, you will see why once you check that.

Take a look at our timeline and our reasoning before called it crappy.

How is it "pretty clear" exactly? Genuinely curious, as there has been no word from anyone about this. If I missed some confirmation of that please let me know as it would help immensely with my edit.

Can I post links to Reddit? I just saw excerpt from Homecoming junior novel that places it 5 years after Avengers, which proves that 8 years in the movie is definitely not a mistake

Надіслано від мого Lenovo A6010, використовуючи Tapatalk

Can I post links to Reddit? I just saw excerpt from Homecoming junior novel that places it 5 years after Avengers, which proves that 8 years in the movie is definitely not a mistake

How does that prove.....?

It means they had 5 years in script at one point and then purposefully changed it to 8

Or that the change was a mistake and it was supposed to be 5 all along....your evidence can be used for either side of the argument.

Or that the change was a mistake and it was supposed to be 5 all along....your evidence can be used for either side of the argument.
I could maybe see how they could have wrong chronology from first draft without anybody noticing it, but having it right and then *accidentally* changing?..

I could maybe see how they could have wrong chronology from first draft without anybody noticing it, but having it right and then *accidentally* changing?..

Like they made the change to achieve something they wanted (The Liz's age theory has merit) but didn't think how that would affect the rest of the timeline. A simple slip up that didn't feel necessary to remedy because only we here on this forum care. That whole movie is full of contradictory information to the time line we already know and to itself (8 years later, Aaron Davis Birthday/age) so it doesn't really make sense to me why everyone is trying to rearrange everything before we get some sort of information proving or disproving it. Clearly mistakes in these movies happen, it JUST HAPPENED with Stan Lee in Guardians 2. It can be explained away, but it was a clear and admitted timeline screw up that shows exactly how easy that is to do. Just be patient, we'll get our answer eventually.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back