Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10154433825566157

Fwqhgwo.png

Cool, well that confirms that. Will update for that.

Here's my attempt at a (tentative) timeline for Spider-Man: Homecoming, ignoring the "8 years later":

2012:

-May 6: Damage Control takes over post-Battle of New York cleanup.

2016:

-April 10: Peter and Happy leave New York via private plane.

-April 11: Peter and Happy arrive at Berlin. Airport battle. Peter stays at the hotel with Happy.

-April 12: Tony returns to Queens with Peter at nighttime, allowing him to keep the new Spider-Man suit.

-April 13: Civil War post-credits scene with Peter and May.

A few months later:

-Day 1 (September 8 ): Bank robbery. Ned finds out Peter is Spider-Man.

-Day 2 (September 9): Liz's party. Spider-Man encounters the Vulture for the first time.

-Day 3: Toomes' henchmen go to the school. Peter puts a tracking device on them and finds out they're going to Maryland.

-Day 4: Peter rejoins the decathlon team. He gets trapped at the Damage Control warehouse.

-Day 5: Spider-Man escapes the warehouse and saves his classmates at the Washington Monument.

-Day 6 (September 19): Peter gets detention during school hours; he sneaks out and interrogates Aaron Davis. Staten Island Ferry incident. Tony takes away Peter's suit.

-Day 7 (September 20): After talking to the principal, Peter decides to focus more on school. He invites Liz to homecoming and gets May to help him prepare.

-Day 8 (September 23): Homecoming dance. Final battle.

-Day 9 (September 26): Liz moves away, Peter visits the Avengers compound. He gets back the Spider-Man suit but May sees him.

Notes:

-After Peter finds the Chitauri core, Ned calls him from Liz's party, and they say they'll see each other at school tomorrow. However, later on in the movie, Peter tells Karen to show him the footage of the arms deal from "last Friday", which was on the night of the party. This means they either have classes on weekends (maybe to finish assignments?) or they meant they'll see each other on the next school day, as in Monday, September 12.

-The poster in Peter's room says the decathlon takes place on September 14, which would be on a Wednesday if September 23 is on a Friday according to the ticket prop. However, both Mr. Harrington and the school news report refer to the decathlon as being on the weekend. So either the poster, or Mr. Harrington and the news report, were erroneous.

So these two points are up for debate, but apart from that, I'm pretty sure about the placements for days 1-2 and days 6-9. Although it's up to you whether you want to take into account the "Two months later" caption and place Civil War in late June.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
-The poster in Peter's room says the decathlon takes place on September 14, which would be on a Wednesday if September 23 is on a Friday according to the ticket prop. However, both Mr. Harrington and the school news report refer to the decathlon as being on the weekend. So either the poster, or Mr. Harrington and the news report, were erroneous.

There's also a second Decathalon poster in the gym, when the team is practicing, that says it will take place October 13-15th. I know it contradicts the ticket prop (which isn't even visible in the movie) and further stretches out the "Two Months Later" card (which is already broken), but I think it's much more likely for the poster up in the gym to be accurate than the one is Peter's room. The one in Peter's room could easily be from his freshman year, and the decathlon used the same poster design two years in a row.

There's also a second Decathalon poster in the gym, when the team is practicing, that says it will take place October 13-15th. I know it contradicts the ticket prop (which isn't even visible in the movie) and further stretches out the "Two Months Later" card (which is already broken), but I think it's much more likely for the poster up in the gym to be accurate than the one is Peter's room. The one in Peter's room could easily be from his freshman year, and the decathlon used the same poster design two years in a row.

I know about the October poster, but I didn't mention it since, at a cursory search, homecoming is in late September to early October. But I just looked it up again and there are indeed schools that have homecoming in late October.

This might also be supported by Tony saying he quit band practice 6 weeks ago, so it would be right at the beginning of the school year (depending on whether it's possible to quit band practice while school is out for the summer).

So:

-Day 1: October 5 (Bank robbery)
-Day 2: October 6 (Liz's party)
-Day 3: October 9 (Peter finds out Toomes and his crew are in Maryland)
-Day 4: October 13 (Decathlon team goes to Washington)
-Day 5: October 14 (Washington Monument incident, they return home the next day on the 15th)
-Day 6: October 16 (Staten Island Ferry incident)
-Day 7: October 17 (Peter asks Liz out)
-Day 8: October 20 (Homecoming)
-Day 9: October 23 (End of movie)

Last edited:
Ant-Man and the Wasp will take place some time after Civil War:

https://talkiesnetwork.com/2017/08/01/ant-man-and-the-wasp-official-synopsis-released/

"From the Marvel Cinematic Universe comes a new chapter featuring heroes with the astonishing ability to shrink: "Ant-Man and The Wasp." In the aftermath of "Captain America: Civil War," Scott Lang (Rudd) grapples with the consequences of his choices as both a Super Hero and a father. As he struggles to rebalance his home life with his responsibilities as Ant-Man, he's confronted by Hope van Dyne (Lilly) and Dr. Hank Pym (Douglas) with an urgent new mission. Scott must once again put on the suit and learn to fight alongside The Wasp as the team works together to uncover secrets from their past."

Also, in case no one has seen the reports yet, Thor: Ragnarok has been said to take place two years after Age of Ultron and four years after Thor: The Dark World, lining up with 2017 for the time being:

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/07/marvels-thor-ragnarok-gets-a-new-trailer-comic-con-footage/

During the panel, it was confirmed that the movie takes place four years after Thor: The Dark World, and that Loki has been posing as Odin for all that time. Meanwhile, The Hulk has spent two years on Sakaar (and refused to revert back to Bruce Banner), during which time he's developed the vocabulary of a two-year old.

http://screenrant.com/thor-ragnarok-hulk-speaks-has-repressed-banner-for-2-years-sdcc/

During Thor: Ragnarok's SDCC panel Saturday, Ruffalo said that Hulk has repressed his human alter-ego Bruce Banner for two years, and that Hulk, for the first time in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, speaks.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/thor-ragnarok-trailer-the-hulk-video-1202134136/

"It's been four years since the end of film and when Thor returns it's a very different Asgaard," says Hiddleston. "The kingdom is in shambles given Loki's questionable alliances, particularly with Ragnarok."

I was re-watching Luke cage to prepare for the Defenders and I came across a detail that I didn't see being discussed in the thread around the time LC came out. During episode 4 Luke pulls out his phone (http://imgur.com/a/lA1GV) which has the date and should put the non-flashback sections of that episode on Nov. 5th (or 6th as it is close to midnight). Sorry if this has already been brought up and dismissed, I only looked through the posts around the time LC came out.

GotG Vol 2 comes out on DVD in about a week and a half, so will get updated for that soon, once I've had chance to pick it up, as well as for the Thor - Ragnarok Prelude issues (which just adapt Incredible Hulk and Thor - TDW movies).

I was re-watching Luke cage to prepare for the Defenders and I came across a detail that I didn't see being discussed in the thread around the time LC came out. During episode 4 Luke pulls out his phone (http://imgur.com/a/lA1GV) which has the date and should put the non-flashback sections of that episode on Nov. 5th (or 6th as it is close to midnight). Sorry if this has already been brought up and dismissed, I only looked through the posts around the time LC came out.

Yeah, unfortunately that conflicts with the other date shown (and dialogue backing it up regarding NBA Season mentioned in first episode). I can't recall exactly off top of my head, but pretty sure we had a hard date given in another episode. Let me know if you notice it, I honestly can't remember. Presumably Luke's phone date was incorrect in that scene.

Really wish the props department and script supervisors paid more attention to the timeline flow of the shows to avoid mistakes like that.

Love that initiative though. Definitely let me know if you notice anything else, definitely helps make the timeline better. Appreciate your efforts. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, the police dashcam placed a later episode in early December. Plus the fact that Claire's departure from the hospital needed to jive with Daredevil's timeline.

I'm rewatching Daredevil season 1 at the moment and I've noticed that it takes place 2 years after the Battle of New York (which you already knew). Given that we've worked out that Avengers roughly takes place in 2010 (after the Homecoming "8 years later" retcon), does that mean DD S1 takes place in 2012? I've just finished episode 4 so there might be another thing that pops up that contradicts this.

About to start watching Defenders, will update as I get through them.

Yeah, the police dashcam placed a later episode in early December. Plus the fact that Claire's departure from the hospital needed to jive with Daredevil's timeline.

That was it. Reasoning being the police dash cam would, by necessity, have to display accurate date (for court/arrest records, etc). And, as said, the way it has to line up with Daredevil.

I'm rewatching Daredevil season 1 at the moment and I've noticed that it takes place 2 years after the Battle of New York (which you already knew). Given that we've worked out that Avengers roughly takes place in 2010 (after the Homecoming "8 years later" retcon), does that mean DD S1 takes place in 2012? I've just finished episode 4 so there might be another thing that pops up that contradicts this.

No. For now, we're treating the 8 years later thing as a mistake, for obvious reasons. Even the "2 months later" tag (indicating only two months pass between Civil War and Homecoming) doesn't make sense, given Peter is in school in Civil War, and Homecoming is set early in school year, along with Homecoming dance, placing it in September or early October. Two months before that would be the middle of summer vacation... unless Peter was in summer school, but that's not likely given his academic achievements. I suppose its possible he was taking some kind of extra credit course or something, but since thats not established its only my theory. As it stands, it just seems they weren't really paying attention.

Now, if that retconned timeline is reinforced in future MCU films (like Infinity War and Avengers 4), then yeah, it'll require some major adjustments (which unfortunately will only create MORE continuity/timeline issues between the films and TV shows, specifically AoS).

So, just started watching Defenders. Few minutes into first episode and the weather seems to indicate its late Fall (characters are wearing winter clothing indicating its cold outside), and trees are beginning to have leaves turn color/fall off. Obviously if I notice any applicable dates I'll work from those.

Danny mentions that he and Colleen have been "chasing the Hand for months", placing the events of Defenders likely in same year as Iron Fist (just toward end of year).

Last edited:
So, just started watching Defenders. Few minutes into first episode and the weather seems to indicate its late Fall (characters are wearing winter clothing indicating its cold outside), and trees are beginning to have leaves turn color/fall off. Obviously if I notice any applicable dates I'll work from those.

Caught that too. So far I've got "months" since the end of Iron Fist and that Daredevil season 2 was "last year". So Fall 2016 is a lock.

They've been vague about everything else, but dialogue between Jessica and Trish suggests that the Kilgrave incident was fairly recent. Nothing irreconcilable though.

Last edited:
Updated for first three episodes of Defenders, as well as fixed the links for the Spider-Man Homecoming NBA Finals shorts.

Caught that too. So far I've got "months" since the end of Iron Fist and that Daredevil season 2 was "last year". So Fall 2016 is a lock.

Yeah, though the flashback scene at beginning of 1x03 labeled end of DD Season 2 (
Elektra's resurrection
) also as "months ago", but that still works if we assume its 10-11 months, bit shy of a year.

They've been vague about everything else, but dialogue between Jessica and Trish suggests that the Kilgrave incident was fairly recent. Nothing irreconcilable though.

Yeah, I've watched first three episodes and not noticed any specific dates to place the current events.

Last edited:
Ok, timeline is up to date for all Defenders episodes.

No specific dates were presented, so that simplified the process some, as did the fact the two flashbacks we got were easy to place (there is a flashback Elektra has while dreaming, but I'm treating it as its portrayed in the show, a dream of a memory occurring at that time, instead of as a flashback to an earlier time).

Overall the show covers about a week and a half (a week for main portion of show, the final episode's closing minutes feature a jump forward of a couple or few days). The breakdown works as follows:

Day 1
The Defenders 1x01: "The H Word" (0:00:00 - 0:04:21)

Day 2
The Defenders 1x01: "The H Word" (0:04:22 - 0:49:30)

Day 3
The Defenders 1x02: "Mean Right Hook"
The Defenders 1x03: "Worst Behavior" (0:13:13 - 0:20:56)

Day 4
The Defenders 1x03: "Worst Behavior" (0:20:57 - 0:52:58)
The Defenders 1x04: "Royal Dragon" (0:00:00 - 0:27:51)

Day 5
The Defenders 1x04: "Royal Dragon" (0:27:52 - 0:42:50)
The Defenders 1x05: "Take Shelter"
The Defenders 1x06: "Ashes, Ashes"
The Defenders 1x07: "Fish in the Jailhouse" (0:02:21 - 0:03:06)

Day 6
The Defenders 1x07: "Fish in the Jailhouse" (0:03:07 - 0:43:38)
The Defenders 1x08: "The Defenders" (0:00:00 - 0:40:35)

Day 9?
The Defenders 1x08: "The Defenders" (0:40:36 - 0:53:17)

Day 10?
The Defenders 1x08: "The Defenders" (0:53:18 - 0:53:53)

Next week I'll update for GotG Vol 2 once DVD/Bluray is released, as well as update for the Thor - Ragnarok Prelude comics that adapt Incredible Hulk and Thor - The Dark World films.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back