Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Like they made the change to achieve something they wanted (The Liz's age theory has merit) but didn't think how that would affect the rest of the timeline. A simple slip up that didn't feel necessary to remedy because only we here on this forum care. That whole movie is full of contradictory information to the time line we already know and to itself (8 years later, Aaron Davis Birthday/age) so it doesn't really make sense to me why everyone is trying to rearrange everything before we get some sort of information proving or disproving it. Clearly mistakes in these movies happen, it JUST HAPPENED with Stan Lee in Guardians 2. It can be explained away, but it was a clear and admitted timeline screw up that shows exactly how easy that is to do. Just be patient, we'll get our answer eventually.

5252862+_8798a366f202a6b23394b4ee254d710b.jpg

How is it "pretty clear" exactly? Genuinely curious, as there has been no word from anyone about this. If I missed some confirmation of that please let me know as it would help immensely with my edit.

Based on the progression of Peter's high school years through Homecoming, Infinity War, Homecoming's sequel, and Avengers 4. Feige has said repeatedly they'll be taking such an approach.

It remains to be seen if specific time span mentions will reaffirm that, can only wait and see.

For now I'm taking that wait and see approach.

Like they made the change to achieve something they wanted (The Liz's age theory has merit) but didn't think how that would affect the rest of the timeline. A simple slip up that didn't feel necessary to remedy because only we here on this forum care. That whole movie is full of contradictory information to the time line we already know and to itself (8 years later, Aaron Davis Birthday/age) so it doesn't really make sense to me why everyone is trying to rearrange everything before we get some sort of information proving or disproving it. Clearly mistakes in these movies happen, it JUST HAPPENED with Stan Lee in Guardians 2. It can be explained away, but it was a clear and admitted timeline screw up that shows exactly how easy that is to do. Just be patient, we'll get our answer eventually.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

No one is rearranging anything, only floating possibilities to try and resolve the issue Homecoming created. Nothing wrong with that.

For whatever it's worth, there's a weird publicity poster for Stark Industries in the newest Defenders trailer that may or may not have some timeline implications:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aCPkWs4g3I

Stan Lee appears to be watching a press conference about Danny's return during the events of Iron Fist. Off to the left there's a poster of Captain America's shield in the rubble of New York, with the words "America to the Rescue: Stark Industries" on it. Could be a call forward to something in Infinity War, but it would seem to place Iron Fist before Civil War, as it's unlikely Stark Industries would be celebrating Cap's iconography at this point in time.

TC

For whatever it's worth, there's a weird publicity poster for Stark Industries in the newest Defenders trailer that may or may not have some timeline implications:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aCPkWs4g3I

Stan Lee appears to be watching a press conference about Danny's return during the events of Iron Fist. Off to the left there's a poster of Captain America's shield in the rubble of New York, with the words "America to the Rescue: Stark Industries" on it. Could be a call forward to something in Infinity War, but it would seem to place Iron Fist before Civil War, as it's unlikely Stark Industries would be celebrating Cap's iconography at this point in time.

TC

Eh, doubtful. It's marketing, I wouldn't necessarily hold onto that as indicative of anything in the MCU timeline.

I'm sorry, but it's impossible for me to wrap my head around the idea that SM:H happens 8 years after Avengers, when 2 months prior to that Civil War happens 8 years after Iron Man 1. Sure you can give or take a month or 2, but this is a year to 2 years we are talking about depending on who is interpreting the timeline. I just can't buy it. As much as I would like to believe that there is a timeline in place behind closed doors, I don't think that everyone important was privy to that information, which is why we have the flub not once but twice in SM:H.

Until we get more concrete information, I personally am ignoring the timeline screw up and chalking that up as 'because sony'. I mean these are the people who are forgoing playing ball and just making their own sub-universe of spider-man world films. How can you trust them when they don't trust Marvel?

I hate to bring Star Wars into this but Sony is very close to forcing me to say we need 'Tiered Canon' on this list. A-Tier being Films made by Marvel/Disney, B-Tier being made by Marvel/Anyone Else, C-Tier Netflix...etc...

I'm sorry, but it's impossible for me to wrap my head around the idea that SM:H happens 8 years after Avengers, when 2 months prior to that Civil War happens 8 years after Iron Man 1. Sure you can give or take a month or 2, but this is a year to 2 years we are talking about depending on who is interpreting the timeline. I just can't buy it. As much as I would like to believe that there is a timeline in place behind closed doors, I don't think that everyone important was privy to that information, which is why we have the flub not once but twice in SM:H.

Again, as I've said multiple times, I'm taking a wait and see approach. But based on hints dropped by Feige about upcoming IW, Homecoming sequel, and Avengers 4, and how Peter's high school career progresses through those films, it is absolutely possible they intentionally retconned the timeline and will utilize that retconned approach going forward. If future films, including MCU films like IW and Avengers 4 reinforce this new retcon, eventually we're going to have to stop ignoring it. That's my point.

Until we get more concrete information, I personally am ignoring the timeline screw up and chalking that up as 'because sony'. I mean these are the people who are forgoing playing ball and just making their own sub-universe of spider-man world films. How can you trust them when they don't trust Marvel?

Um, it's not Sony I trust. Again, this is MCU. Feige has completely creative control over the film. The 8 years later thing wasn't Sony, it was Feige and Watts. That's only reason I'm giving it time of day.

I hate to bring Star Wars into this but Sony is very close to forcing me to say we need 'Tiered Canon' on this list. A-Tier being Films made by Marvel/Disney, B-Tier being made by Marvel/Anyone Else, C-Tier Netflix...etc...

Yeah, but honestly I've had to use a tiered approach already to some degree. Films and One Shots come first, then the TV series and webisodes/web content (like WHiH stuff), then the canon comics.

I think the most important thing to remember, and the 8 years mistake/retcon proves this, is that the powers that be, including Feige, don't want a specific nailed down timeline for the MCU. They want to keep it fluid and malleable because it makes writing future films easier continuity-wise. If you ever watch interviews with Feige where he's asked timeline related questions, he's often very unspecific and blasé with his answers. Point is, they likely care about the timeline far less than us fans, as they realize the general audience that makes up 95% (or more) of ticket and DVD sales don't really care.

Last edited:
Could be that, or just as likely she was banished to some alternate reality or black hole or something where time moves differently? We'll have to wait and see.

That actually makes a lot of sense considering the Rick Jones nega bands Captain Marvel stuff from the 70s.

Latest posts

Back