Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Looking at the first trailer for Ant-Man and the Wasp, I'm guessing that the film takes place sometime between Civil War and Infinity War (probably closer to Civil War).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_rTIAOohas

Probably. I suppose it's possible it's post IW also and they just avoided including anything that references it in trailer to avoid spoilers (just playing Devil's advocate), but yeah, it most likely occurs sometime between Civil War and Infinity War.

Im marathoning through everything right now, and I haven't kept up with everything on this thread in a while, so I thought I'd ask.... what's with the almost a year gap between AOS 2x03 and 2x04? I don't remember there being that I of a space between them last time I watched season 2, can someone explain the reasoning?

Im marathoning through everything right now, and I haven't kept up with everything on this thread in a while, so I thought I'd ask.... what's with the almost a year gap between AOS 2x03 and 2x04? I don't remember there being that I of a space between them last time I watched season 2, can someone explain the reasoning?

Apparently, episodes 2x04 to 2x22 take place in quick succession one after the other. The season has to end in spring 2015, since it ties in with Age of Ultron.

The season also apparently takes place over the course of one year (in one of the episodes, a caption shows the season premiere as being "One year ago"), and there were only two spots to be able to put in gaps in time large enough for the season to end in spring 2015.

Still catching up with making the list again and noticed something that may have been discussed before. The start of Punisher 1x02 his daughter mentions him going away again. This is placed after the 1x03 where he cracks the guy post mission, I assume this was his last mission. Should this 1x02 moment be moved?

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...ok-dvdblu-ray-release-date-and-bonus-features

Marvel Studios: The First Ten Years - The Evolution of Heroes – Marvel's universe is vast and transcends both time and space. We'll examine the Cinematic Universe as a whole and revisit each of our heroes' current location and their place in the current MCU timeline, as it all leads up to the one culminating event: Avengers: Infinity War.

Maybe it says something about the MCU chronology... or it's just a recap.

Last edited:
Someone noticed this on Reddit, concerning Black Panther Prelude:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/7vro7t/the_attention_to_detail_in_the_black_panther/

The Black Panther Prelude tie-in comic opens with the first panel with 'North-Kivu, Democratic Republic of the Congo', where violence threatens to spill over the border into Wakanda. For geography and details geeks, who like their fictional countries to have real-life locations, this is great and immediately tells us that Wakanda is situated on the border of DRC and Uganda somewhere between the border with Rwanda and Lake Edward. This also seems to fit with the ecology we've seen so far in clips, and, being a fairly remote and under-inhabited part of Africa suits well the location for Wakanda.

The comic shows the reader T'Challa's first action as Black Panther ten years ago. This also happens to be the very same day Tony Stark declares himself as Iron Man. If we are to assume this comic is intended to be read in 2018, in preparation for seeing Black Panther in theatres, then we can assume that '10 years ago' is 2008, and thus that the events of the first Iron Man occurred in that year.

The years that the events in the first phase of the MCU attract a lot of debate, but the two prevailing theories are 2010 – 2012, and 2008 – 2010. With the reveal that the Battle of New York was as long as "8 years ago" (or at least seven and a half years ago) in Spider-Man Homecoming, the latter theory gained traction with some fans who cite the only official timeline in 'The Art of The Avengers' as proof that has been Marvel Studio's timeline all along. Opponents to this point to instances in Agents of SHIELD when these dates have been contradicted, but contradictions between the MCU movies and MCU TV productions have been so common it seems that they work on separate timelines (which makes sense, if you want your shows to reference movies, it's easier to assume they take place in real-time).

Given Iron Man 2 starts in May, 6 months after Stark announced "I am Iron Man", and Stark and Stane's battle took place on the 24th (Coulson sets a meeting with Potts on the 24th, the day of the battle), then we can summarise that the "I am Iron Man" press conference takes place in the last week of October – and if 2008, then sometime between October 25th and October 31st.

This is where the writers' attention to detail gave me a semi. What was happening in DRC in October 2008? The North-Kivu Campaign. Violence, specifically in the region Marvel Studios have set the MCU Wakanda. What's more, "On October 28, five rocket-propelled grenades were fired at a convoy of UN vehicles protecting a road to the territorial capital of Rutshuru, hitting two armoured personnel carriers. The APCs, which contained Indian Army troops, were relatively undamaged, though a Lieutenant Colonel and two other personnel were injured" (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Nord-Kivu_campaign) strikingly like what is depicted in the comic.

TL;DR – The Black Panther tie-in comic takes real-world events in DRC to tell us the location of Wakanda and confirms Iron Man takes place in 2008.
Obviously, certain events can occur on different dates in the MCU, but still an interesting thing to note.

Great attention to detail there. I still say the "10 years ago" was an error. It was either 8 years ago (especially considering BP directly follows Civi War, and we have Vision's dating dialogue), or you go by the stupid Homecoming timeline and it was 8.5 years, tops.

Except not really. The two months time tag in HC is just as lazy and wrong as the 8 year snafu in the opening scene.

I really hope that's not a retcon going forward. If they try to say Civil War was Summer 2017, that'll likely mean Team Cap was only estranged for less than a year. Wouldn't be as meaningful of a breakup/reunion for the Avengers as the full two years would be. We'll see...

I really hope that's not a retcon going forward. If they try to say Civil War was Summer 2017, that'll likely mean Team Cap was only estranged for less than a year. Wouldn't be as meaningful of a breakup/reunion for the Avengers as the full two years would be. We'll see...

If Civil War's placement relative to Age of Ultron is unchanged (and, less importantly, Doctor Strange's placement relative to CW), then it can still work.

This will be in "Year 0", "Year 1" format since the dates will likely be retconned when the new timeline comes out.

Year 0:
-Spring: Age of Ultron

Year 1:
-Mid-winter: Doctor Strange (beginning)
-Spring/summer: Civil War (Sokovia was a year ago, tie-in WHiH segments mention Strange being interviewed)
-Fall: Homecoming

Year 2:
-Mid-winter: Doctor Strange (ending)
-Sometime later: Thor: Ragnarok (Sokovia was two years ago, Strange has had enough time to study interdimensional threats, so it's probably been at least a few months)
-Later that year, or in year 3: Infinity War

Infinity War and Avengers 4 likely take place between September of year 2 and June of year 3, since Spider-Man 2 will begin immediately after Avengers 4, according to Amy Pascal.

But that might be misleading. It's possible that Spider-Man 2 begins immediately after Avengers 4, and then jumps forward a few months, much like how Homecoming recapped Civil War before jumping forward a few months.

It also depends on whether the timeline of AoS season 5 fits in, as it seems to take place on November-December of year 2 (relative to the movies), but it depends on what happens in Infinity War/Avengers 4, and how the time issue is resolved on AoS.

So overall, Infinity War probably takes place somewhere between a year-and-a-half to two years after Civil War.

Last edited:

Apparently, episodes 2x04 to 2x22 take place in quick succession one after the other. The season has to end in spring 2015, since it ties in with Age of Ultron.

The season also apparently takes place over the course of one year (in one of the episodes, a caption shows the season premiere as being "One year ago"), and there were only two spots to be able to put in gaps in time large enough for the season to end in spring 2015.

Yep.

Basically, AoS 2x20 opens with a scene set "One Year Ago", which itself occurs just before the opening scene of AoS 2x01. This establishes a year passes between 2x01 and 2x20, and since the ending of Season 2 has to occur around same time as Age of Ultron, that means AoS Season 2 runs from Spring, 2014 to Spring, 2015. There are only one or two places in the entire season to insert such large gaps, so thats where I chose to put them, between the early episodes since the rest all follow one after the other.

Still catching up with making the list again and noticed something that may have been discussed before. The start of Punisher 1x02 his daughter mentions him going away again. This is placed after the 1x03 where he cracks the guy post mission, I assume this was his last mission. Should this 1x02 moment be moved?

That may be a mistake, let me know the time coding of those portions so I can double check.

Someone posted over on thetimelinesite's MCU page asking why the Agent Carter One Shot was placed between Seasons 1 and 2 of the show instead of before Season 1... and for the life of me, I honestly can't remember (all the more reason to get around to placement reasoning addendum for the timeline).

http://thetimelinesite.com/marvel-cinematic-universe#disqus_thread

The Feline Randy said:
Me again. First, I had questions about DD, then questions about Spider-Man...now I'm looking over Agent Carter.

So, I just rewatched Agent Carter and I noticed the newspapers in the beginning have two dates: April 21, 1946 and June of 1946. This is only the first episode but you have the entirety of the first episode of the show taking place in April. Furthermore, the intelligence report in the AC One-Shot is dated in March of '46. I'd like to think the One-Shot comes before the AC TV series just because of the dates alone. I'd like to think that Howard puts her at the head of SHIELD -- but the weapons charges in Season 1 delay that completely and Carter stays at SSR as a seeming bottom feeder.

Don't know what you think.

Yeah, it does. That's why I'm saying it should be set before the TV Series. I mean, I know this is basically the same argument as "EIGHT YEARS LATER" and Spider-Man, but...here's my argument:

1) It says ONE YEAR LATER (after Cap's "death"). You have that instance fixed at March, which is pretty accurate, considering the info below.

2) The SSR office Peggy's working at in the OS is in New York, not L.A. (the city is shown during the "ONE YEAR LATER" bit), so this would lead into the series fairly easily.

3) There's a bit of banter between Carter and Flynn where Flynn asks Carter how she's settling in. Carter says she's bored having "cracked codes" and gone out in the field in the past. She says, "It's been three months and I still haven't seen my first assignment." Flynn says, "Relax, the war is over," which is usually something you say within a year of the end a major war that was just fought, not almost a year and change -- though this might be debatable. The one line that sticks out is "It's been three months and I still haven't seen my first assignment."

4) The intelligence report on "recent transmissions" is date-stamped "March 1946".

5) One of the agents asks Carter for analysis of "the recent transmissions" data "right away". Carter states she already finished it. Usually, you don't call backlogged intel "recent transmissions"

6) Throughout the OS, it's insinuated that "Zodiac" is pretty important to the SSR. Even at the end of the thing, Flynn gets in Carter's face and reprimands her for going alone on a mission that required "3 to 5 agents" and says she did so "without authorization". Carter says "[Zodiac] was time sensitive" -- meaning all the intel collected couldn't have been sitting in a drawer, collecting dust for months. Once you add in "recent transmissions" with the March '46 date, it's pretty apparent the whole thing comes before the TV series which takes place starting April of '46.

7) The opening episode of the series basically shows Carter going about her daily life at home while thinking about the past. Bits from Captain America are shown -- but we also see the bit from the OS where she tosses the guys through the window during the Zodiac mission. At this point, you can see Carter putting her back into what she's doing as if her anger from the loss of Cappy, and the thankless position she has at the SSR (as well as the recent situation with Howard Stark being accused of treason, thus delaying the SHIELD position) are fueling her.

I'd like to think that the TV series happens JUST after the OS, which would take place somewhere around March '46 and I would chalk up the absence of Flynn as a reassignment from Stark since he and Carter clash.

The opening episode of AC S1 shows two dates: April '46 and June '46, which would basically mean that the second episode would have to take place in June.

That's just my analysis. Hopefully, this helps.

Anyone remember our reasoning on that placement?

Basically this:

the showrunners of Agent Carter have explicitly stated the TV show occurs before the One Shot. That's further proven by the events of the One Shot itself and how it ends.

I don't see Peggy hanging around a job she essentially hates at SSR when she has an position of command with SHIELD.

So just to put it to bed (because this is something that's been asked a lot recently), Agent Carter (the TV series, or at least Season 1 assuming they bring it back for another season) occurs before Agent Carter (the One Shot).

There's no sensical way to place the events of the One Shot before the TV show. It doesn't work, both in terms of Peggy's character, motivations, etc, nor in the greater plot (ie, SHIELD was essentially born as an idea of Howard Stark's very soon before the events of the One Shot, since at the end he recruited Peggy, and it's very likely Howard was motivated to form SHIELD due to the events of the Agent Carter TV show, where he's had his weapons stolen and is being treated as a traitor. I could definitely see a desire to create a more capable agency to handle such things, since (besides Peggy), no SSR agents are really doing anything impressive.

I don't see the One Shot as retconned. I just view it as AC Season 1 occurring in Spring, 1946, Peggy temporarily transferring to another office and the events of the One Shot happening and Howard making the SHIELD offer, and Peggy accepting but staying with SSR as the slow transition process of converting the SSR to SHIELD happens. Thus Season 2 picks up in Summer 1947 and Peggy is still working at SSR.

Don't forget the conversion of the SSR to SHIELD would've been a somewhat gradual process, due to the size and expansiveness of the organization coming out of WWII.

I don't think the One Shot can be considered retconned yet. At best the dating of the One Shot may be retconned so it occurs after the Agent Carter series. We'll see.

I think it's time to make that happen. Has anyone started a skeleton? I could have sworn someone had at some point. If not, here's a Google Sheet we could use. I've set permissions to "Anybody can comment", but I can make DIB and anybody he wants an editor.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IIZjrbMi68md2zlWwP4KgcUw8P-krLhKIulpNYAvBJw/edit?usp=sharing

Truth be told, it is desperately needed. Problem is I just don't have the time to compile all that info while still updating the dozens of various timelines I do at same time (besides work, responsibilities at home, spending time with girlfriend and friends, etc... there just aren't enough hours in the day...), so honestly would need those interested in helping to pick up the reigns on that. Almost all of the info/reasoning is contained here in the thread, but the over 200 pages makes that a time consuming task.

Anyone interested in helping post here and we'll try to figure out best approach.

Last edited:
That may be a mistake, let me know the time coding of those portions so I can double check.

The start of Punisher episode 2 00:00:00 to 00:01:46 his daughter says "is that why you have to go away and fight?" implying he is still an active marine. This is placed after episode 3 00:42:52 to 00:52:54 where one would assume that he was dismissed after that mission. I may be wrong

Latest posts

Back