Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

you're correct about Coulson and Skye wearing the same clothes. Also to note is that the end of the pilot implies they arrive at the airfield within 10 minutes. The 6 days comment Fury made was about how long Coulson had the plane/jet not how long the team has been together.

Good point. I'll rewatch the first two episodes and double check and hammer out any adjustments needed based on Cap France's recommendation.

Yeah, the end of the Pilot could happen the same day, it's more logical if we look at how fast Coulson left Tony Stark when he went to see Thor's hammer.

And as said iammattie, the Bus must have been given by Fury a few days earlier their first mission.

The main thing to know is the 2 episodes happen the same week ("Week 1" said Fitz, in episode 2).

So, we can put it like this too:

2013, September 11
Agents of S.H.I.E.D. 1X01 – "Pilot" (33:13 to 43:40)
Agents of S.H.I.E.D. 1X02 – "0-8-4" (00:45 to 4:14)

2013, September 12
Agents of S.H.I.E.D. 1X02 – "0-8-4" (4:15 to 25:59)

2013, September 13
Agents of S.H.I.E.D. 1X02 – "0-8-4" (26:04 to 31:55)
Agents of S.H.I.E.D. 1X02 – "0-8-4" (00:00 to 00:44)
Agents of S.H.I.E.D. 1X02 – "0-8-4" (31:56 to 39:57)
Agents of S.H.I.E.D. 1X02 – "0-8-4" (40:05 to 41:11)

Updated for the specific dates for the first two episodes of Agents of SHIELD.

Pretty sure its correct, Cap France, you may want to double check my dates.

I'm not sure about your first date:

September 8
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1x01: "Pilot" (0:00:00 - 0:05:22)

September 8, 2013 is a sunday, and Mike Peterson said to his child they can go see aunt Mindy this week-end.
Which means he said that during the week.. so the 9th is more logical.

I'm not sure about your first date:

September 8, 2013 is a sunday, and Mike Peterson said to his child they can go see aunt Mindy this week-end.
Which means he said that during the week.. so the 9th is more logical.

Could be, BUT: We open on that scene with Mike and his kid with the explosion. Based on the change of clothes by both Mike and Skye (different outfits in that scene than the next scene), combined with the likelihood of that scene happening on the 8th, Agent Ward finding the Chitauri device on the same day, then being called to SHIELD headquarters and upgraded to level 7 on the next day (which we think is Sept 9), which is concurrent with the second day, with Skye following Mike and talking to him in the diner (again, they're both wearing different outfits). Between the clothes changing, the travel time from Paris to somewhere likely in the US, etc, its likely a day separating the first scene and the subsequent ones.

And while its weird he'd refer to them going to Mindy's "this weekend" while its already a Sunday, I'd chalk it up more to the people making it not paying that close attention to the dating they used in combination with the script/lines read.

Also, given Mike is looking pretty hard for a job the next day or two (Monday and Tuesday), and doesn't seem to be in the first scene, it kind of works, since most businesses aren't open and able to hire on Sundays.

I've put a list of all "Inspired By Canon" and "Film Agnostic Canon" comics, if you know other titles feel free to help!

INSPIRED By CANON
(2008-10) Iron Man: Fast Friends #1-2
(2008-10) Iron Man: Security Measures (Wal-Mart exclusive)
(2008-10) The Incredible Hulk: The Fury Files #1-2
(2009-02) Iron Man/The Incredible Hulk/Nick Fury (Tpb)
(2010-05) Iron Man (LG exclusive)
(2010-05) Iron Man 2: Fist of Iron (Audi exclusive)
(2010-05) Iron Man 2 (Royal Purple Synthetic Oil exclusive)
(2010-05) Iron Man 2: Security Breach (Target exclusive)
(2010-06) Iron Man: Will Online Evils Prevail #1-3 (Norton exclusive)
(2011-04) Thor #1-4 (Burger-King exclusive)
(2011-04) Captain America: The First Avenger - Evil Lurks Everywhere (original version) (Norton exclusive)
(2011-04) Captain America: The First Avenger - Evil Lurks Everywhere (3D version) (Norton exclusive)
(2011-06) Captain America: The First Avenger - America Supports You #11 (AAFES Military exclusive)
(2011-07) Captain America: The First Avenger - America Supports You #12 (AAFES Military exclusive)
(2011-09) Captain America & Thor: Avengers
(2012-05) The Avengers: The Avengers Initiative
(2013-05) Iron Man: The Coming of the Melter
(2013-06) Captain America: Transformation & Triumph (Kiehl's exclusive)

FILM AGNOSTIC CANON
(2008-06) Iron Man: The Video Game (SEGA exclusive)

I've put a list of all "Inspired By Canon" and "Film Agnostic Canon" comics, if you know other titles feel free to help! INSPIRED By CANON (2008-10) Iron Man: Fast Friends #1-2 (2008-10) Iron Man: Security Measures (Wal-Mart exclusive) (2008-10) The Incredible Hulk: The Fury Files #1-2 (2009-02) Iron Man/The Incredible Hulk/Nick Fury (Tpb) (2010-05) Iron Man (LG exclusive) (2010-05) Iron Man 2: Fist of Iron (Audi exclusive) (2010-05) Iron Man 2 (Royal Purple Synthetic Oil exclusive) (2010-05) Iron Man 2: Security Breach (Target exclusive) (2010-06) Iron Man: Will Online Evils Prevail #1-3 (Norton exclusive) (2011-04) Thor #1-4 (Burger-King exclusive) (2011-04) Captain America: The First Avenger - Evil Lurks Everywhere (original version) (Norton exclusive) (2011-04) Captain America: The First Avenger - Evil Lurks Everywhere (3D version) (Norton exclusive) (2011-06) Captain America: The First Avenger - America Supports You #11 (AAFES Military exclusive) (2011-07) Captain America: The First Avenger - America Supports You #12 (AAFES Military exclusive) (2011-09) Captain America & Thor: Avengers (2012-05) The Avengers: The Avengers Initiative (2013-05) Iron Man: The Coming of the Melter (2013-06) Captain America: Transformation & Triumph (Kiehl's exclusive) FILM AGNOSTIC CANON (2008-06) Iron Man: The Video Game (SEGA exclusive)

Fantastic!

They've also released a few non canon video games besides the Iron Man one. Off the top of my head there was a Captain America and Thor game for consoles, and also an Iron Man 2 one if I recall correctly. There was also a Thor and Cap video game for iPhones/mobile devices, and most recently a new Thor one for The Dark World and one for Iron Man 3. Some of them can fit into continuity without any problem, but aren't considered canon. The two Iron Man games for consoles don't fit into existing continuity, due to running alongside the story of the movies and introducing a Maggia plot line. It's definitely non-canon.

Yes, I know, but as I said above, I've put only the comics here.

About the games (which are also Film Agnostic Canon), there are:

(2008 ) Iron Man (extend the movie)
(2008 ) The Incredible Hulk (extend the movie)
(2010) Iron Man 2 (sequel of the movie)
(2011) Thor: God of Thunder (prequel of the Thor movie)
(2011) Captain America: Super Soldier (extend the movie)
(2012) Avengers: The Mobile Game (extend the movie)
(2013) Iron Man 3 (sequel of the movie)

Last edited:
So I watched Iron Man 3 again last night, and I had some thoughts on the ending montage 'New Beginnings'. I think a lot of the stuff in the montage takes place quite a bit after January 1st. Probably closer to the end of Spring, if I'm a little generous with timing.

Obviously, the arrests of Trevor and of the Vice President would take place right away, but the other scenes have clues to show that they take place a little later on in the year.

First off, just taking medical logic into mind, Tony would not be up and around that quickly after surgery. Let's say he decided to have surgery on the 27th, he would probably be bed ridden for a week at minimum. And probably wouldn't be able to travel back to the States to throw his arc in the ocean in that timeframe. Also, quick sidenote, he shouldn't be driving without some sort of body armor either, because he probably no longer has a sternum after his arc was removed.

Second, his face wounds, particularly the cut on his nose is completely healed before he is put under for surgery. Also he said that he fixed Pepper's extremis first. That probably took him a few weeks if not months.

Then we flash forward to Harley finding his garage all tricked out with new equipment compliments of the Mechanic. The thing I noticed was when Harley gets off the bus, he's in shorts and t-shirt. Obviously it's quite warm there. So this little scene has to take place months after the events of Iron Man 3, because it was snowy in Rose Hill.

And finally when Tony throws his arc into the ocean triumphantly, his house is completely cleaned, I mean as much as you can clean up ruins. There's no workers there, and the ruins are starting to get a little overgrown with greenery. That would take awhile.

I don't know if you would go in and change that, because it's hard to but dates on a montage. But I would say the later scenes in the montage take place in probably April or May of the next year at the earliest.

So I watched Iron Man 3 again last night, and I had some thoughts on the ending montage 'New Beginnings'. I think a lot of the stuff in the montage takes place quite a bit after January 1st. Probably closer to the end of Spring, if I'm a little generous with timing. Obviously, the arrests of Trevor and of the Vice President would take place right away, but the other scenes have clues to show that they take place a little later on in the year. First off, just taking medical logic into mind, Tony would not be up and around that quickly after surgery. Let's say he decided to have surgery on the 27th, he would probably be bed ridden for a week at minimum. And probably wouldn't be able to travel back to the States to throw his arc in the ocean in that timeframe. Also, quick sidenote, he shouldn't be driving without some sort of body armor either, because he probably no longer has a sternum after his arc was removed. Second, his face wounds, particularly the cut on his nose is completely healed before he is put under for surgery. Also he said that he fixed Pepper's extremis first. That probably took him a few weeks if not months. Then we flash forward to Harley finding his garage all tricked out with new equipment compliments of the Mechanic. The thing I noticed was when Harley gets off the bus, he's in shorts and t-shirt. Obviously it's quite warm there. So this little scene has to take place months after the events of Iron Man 3, because it was snowy in Rose Hill. And finally when Tony throws his arc into the ocean triumphantly, his house is completely cleaned, I mean as much as you can clean up ruins. There's no workers there, and the ruins are starting to get a little overgrown with greenery. That would take awhile. I don't know if you would go in and change that, because it's hard to but dates on a montage. But I would say the later scenes in the montage take place in probably April or May of the next year at the earliest.

All very good points. As for the surgery and recuperation time, normally I'd agree but don't think it was as major as an organ transplant. It seemed relatively non-invasive from what we saw. And removing the arc reactor would also be pretty minor, as scar tissue would've built up around it which wouldn't require much healing time after it's removal. I'm not a doctor or surgeon but between having had half a dozen surgeries myself and family in the health industry, I've got a pretty good layman's knowledge of surgery and healing times depending on what the surgery required. Also, it's important to remember the doctor who performed the surgery is probably in the top of the surgical heap, hence Tony having him perform the surgery.

You do make a good point about the sternum, but again a metal implant to replace it (if necessary) wouldn't require months of recuperation time (though it would require at least a week or two for the graft to cement, etc). Of course, I doubt the fact that for the implanted arc reactor a portion of his sternum would need to be removed really crossed the minds' of the scriptwriters, to tell you the truth.

As for Tony figuring out a cure for Pepper's Extremis, I doubt it took him long. While his specialty is technology, he's a super genius. In fact it was him who gave Maya Hansen the formula/missing portion of the formula which I doubt he spent much time needing to figure out. When he focuses his energy on something completely (and he does tend to be obsessive with his projects, and likely manically so when it concerns the safety of the woman he loves), he gets it solved pretty quickly. It took him weeks or months to build his first armor in a cave, while being slowed by needing to disguise his true goal and working with pretty basic tools and adapting from weapons to create that armor...it took him only a few days or a week to build the Mark 2 armor with the more advanced tools and Jarvis' help once back at home. And again, most of that time was spent on construction, not on designing it.

Point is, with the need to cure Pepper of the Extremis being his motivation, and his insane abilities in most scientific and engineering fields, I can buy him curing it within a few days. May not be "real world" believable, but then again neither is much of the subject matter of the MCU.

As for the timing of the New Years date between Tony and Pepper (where he gives her the necklace) and Harley finding all the gifts from Tony, I believe that specific dating came from the novelization, which Captain Francs pointed out. And while he is wearing shorts and the weather was noticeably different, I'd say it was either a production mistake or a weirdly times heat wave? ;) But seriously, I doubt Tony would wait 2-4 months to thank Harley for his help, let alone with a Christmas-like approach. Don't forget, Shane Black has an obsession with Christmas in his films, so I'm sure the Harley scene was intended to occur close to December. It likely it's a bit into January, since most kids don't return to school from Holiday break until a few days after New Years, but again, the Novelization specifically stated that as when it occurred, if I recall correctly. If not Captain France can set us straight.

As for the clean up at Tony's place being complete, I think a week or two after Christmas is plenty of time for it to have been cleared. Don't forget, it only took the construction crews a couple days to clear out the rubble enough for the basement level to be opened enough for all the other Iron Man armors to get out and help in the final battle against Killian. If they'd done that within a few days, I think by a week or so later they'd have it pretty much cleared up.

It's also worth noting that I'm sure SHIELD had crews removing debris, to both contain the technology and hopefully gain access to some of the suits for their own use. And with Skye's line in Agents of SHIELD that the organization was able to clean up after the Battle of NY "overnight", it stands to reason Tony's mansion wouldn't present much of a problem given their vast resources and manpower. While I'm sure Skye's mention of the Battle of NY being cleaned up overnight was probably exaggeration, it does attest to SHIELD's ability to contain things. The greenery could be a clue to it taking place later. I'll go back and re-examine that. But again, I think it's probably more to do with production not paying very close attention to the timeline. Who knows? The weeds are a good point though. Like I said, I'll double check that.

And in terms of driving time, that's pretty much a non-issue given Tony's billions of dollars and access to private jets. He can be anywhere in the world within a day, after all.

And in terms of driving time, that's pretty much a non-issue given Tony's billions of dollars and access to private jets. He can be anywhere in the world within a day, after all.

With that I meant more of, Tony probably wouldn't be allowed to fly that soon after having surgery. I'm sure his doctor would strongly recommend he not travel, especially by plane, because of the changing of air pressures and such. Not that Tony would listen.

As for his surgery, while yes, removing a foreign object isn't a really major surgery, given that most of the shrapnel was dangerously close to his heart, he'd more than likely be under observation for a few days, to see that he was healing well. And he'd more than likely be advised to take it easy for a few weeks, and again not travel. But again it's Tony Stark, he waits for no man. That being said, it just seems a little bit of stretch that he did all of this is in a matter of 7-8 days.

And not to play devil's advocate, but haven't the novelizations proved to be not completely accurate?

I don't really expect you to change your timeline, more to spark a lively debate.

In my opinion, it's totally not realistic..

About the novel, the kid discovers his new garage the December 31th or January 1st, I don't remember right..
But I remember it's just before or just after the New Year's Eve dinner.

With that I meant more of, Tony probably wouldn't be allowed to fly that soon after having surgery. I'm sure his doctor would strongly recommend he not travel, especially by plane, because of the changing of air pressures and such. Not that Tony would listen. As for his surgery, while yes, removing a foreign object isn't a really major surgery, given that most of the shrapnel was dangerously close to his heart, he'd more than likely be under observation for a few days, to see that he was healing well. And he'd more than likely be advised to take it easy for a few weeks, and again not travel. But again it's Tony Stark, he waits for no man. That being said, it just seems a little bit of stretch that he did all of this is in a matter of 7-8 days. And not to play devil's advocate, but haven't the novelizations proved to be not completely accurate? I don't really expect you to change your timeline, more to spark a lively debate.

No I get your point, and appreciate you bringing it up. But since the movie doesn't specify the dates and the novelization does, I have to rely on the book to place those instances. Plus the fireworks in the background with the Tony and Pepper necklace scene implies New Year's Eve, as does the fact the film opens on New Year's 1999, etc.

In my opinion, it's totally not realistic.. About the novel, the kid discovers his new garage the December 31th or January 1st, I don't remember right.. But I remember it's just before or just after the New Year's Eve dinner.

Yup, we're all in agreement it's unrealistic.

I've seen Thor 2, and I haven't found visual dates in the movie..

All I remember is:

The action takes place in 2013, and the movie begins 5000 years ago with Malekith fighting Bor, Odin's father.

Day 1: Thor frees Vanaheim. Loki is judged for his crimes.
Day 2: Jane Foster is symbiotised by the Aether. Erik Selvig is arrested. Thor brings Jane Foster on Asgard. A Kurse is send to infiltrate Asgard.
Day 3: Svartalfheim invades Asgard.
Day 4: Erik Selvig is freed by Darcy and Ian. Thor, Loki and Jane Foster go to Svartalfheim and fight Malekith. Final fight on Earth.
Day ?: Thor and Sif go see the Collector to give him the Aether. Thor go to Earth.

I will by later the novels (junior and normal) to see if there are other things to add.
I hope the AoS episode 8 will help to place the movie.

Awesome. Did you like it? I'm seeing it on Friday. Can't wait.

Oh yes I liked it! I loved it!
This movie is a 'must see' if you like space epic movies.
Don't waste your time with the 3D however.

Thor 2 has made the first real step to the Marvel space movies: we have spaceships battles, a lot of different aliens, and an introduction to Guardians of the Galaxy.
I had a little tear at one moment.
There are some funny scenes with Darcy, Selvig or Loki (same style there were already in Thor), but it's well balanced with the epic.

Be careful, there are two after-credits scenes.

Oh yes I liked it! I loved it! This movie is a 'must see' if you like space epic movies. Don't waste your time with the 3D however. Thor 2 has made the first real step to the Marvel space movies: we have spaceships battles, a lot of different aliens, and an introduction to Guardians of the Galaxy. I had a little tear at one moment. There are some funny scenes with Darcy, Selvig or Loki (same style there were already in Thor), but it's well balanced with the epic. Be careful, there are two after-credits scenes.

Excellent! And yeah, I never bother with 3D.

Latest posts

Back