Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

I read something today that said Marvel is going to be turning the Inhumans into something similar to the X-Men since they don't have (and won't be getting any time soon) the rights to make X-Men films.

I don't know if that was common knowledge or not but I thought it was interesting.

I read something today that said Marvel is going to be turning the Inhumans into something similar to the X-Men since they don't have (and won't be getting any time soon) the rights to make X-Men films.

I don't know if that was common knowledge or not but I thought it was interesting.
I heard that rumor a couple months ago. Sort of common knowledge, just hasn't really been talked about much.

That seems like a really weird move. I feel like if they do this it's going to come off like Marvel is trying to rip off their own popular franchize using a similar franchize that no one cares about... and that's pretty much exactly what they would be doing.

I'm all for it. I've always found the Inhumans to be more ostracized and more interesting than the X-Men.

I read something today that said Marvel is going to be turning the Inhumans into something similar to the X-Men since they don't have (and won't be getting any time soon) the rights to make X-Men films. I don't know if that was common knowledge or not but I thought it was interesting.

Yup. Probably a Phase 3 or even Phase 4 film.

That seems like a really weird move. I feel like if they do this it's going to come off like Marvel is trying to rip off their own popular franchize using a similar franchize that no one cares about... and that's pretty much exactly what they would be doing.

I disagree. I think it'll be the perfect combination of the X-Men-like social commentary and space epic.

The upcoming Inhumanity comic series by Marvel will probably be a good example of what the film could offer.

Tomorrow (November 6), release of Captain America: The First Avenger Adaptation #1 (of 2)

Nice, I forgot about that. Thanks for the heads up. Wonder if there'll be a Captain America - The Winter Soldier: Prelude comic (since there have been for every other recent film).

Last edited:
I disagree. I think it'll be the perfect combination of the X-Men-like social commentary and space epic.

The upcoming Inhumanity comic series by Marvel will probably be a good example of what the film could offer.

X-Men is the perfect combination of social commentary and space epic. It's always had huge sci-fi space elements involved.

I'm not against an Inhumans movie. I actually think it would be really cool. But not as an X-Men substitute. Make it it's own thing.

Last edited:
X-Men is the perfect combination of social commentary and space epic. It's always had huge sci-fi space elements involved. I'm not against an Inhumans movie. I actually think it would be really cool. But not as an X-Men substitute. Make it it's own thing.

While X-Men has certainly had a large space opera element in the comics, I doubt it'll ever have that onscreen. Inhumans has that as a basic plot point, while also including the varied powers and familial ties X-Men also has.

And, since the reality is that Fox will retain the rights to X-Men on film for a long while yet (as well as continue to make new films), it's unlikely we're ever going to see an X-Men film as part of the MCU. The Inhumans, however, offer much the same subject matter while still being available for the MCU.

It's a compromise, sure, but not a bad one.

I think the most interesting thing about an Inhumans movie will be that the main star (as Black Bolt) will be silent for the film--other than using his power--which will present a very interesting acting challenge for whoever gets the role.

How's going wyokid, it's been a long time I haven't posted on the CBR forum (more precisely the Ultimate forum)?

This news is so awesome! ^^

4x13 episodes leading to another mini-series!

The MCU is growing!

I hope to see one day Moon Knight..

Last edited:
This is indeed great news. I was about to post it but saw you beat me to the punch. ;)

But yeah, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones series all coming from Netflix, leading up to a Defenders mini-series.

I totally called the Daredevil series thing...as I said the character will work much better in a series format as opposed to a movie (or even movie trilogy), as it allows his world to be better expanded and also the legal drama aspect to the character to get more focus than a film would allow.

Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones all seem tailor made for series as well.

And The Defenders? Yes please! It's interesting that the article mentions reimagining the Defenders...I assume that means this version of the Defenders will consist of Daredevil, Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones...which essentially makes it more of a Marvel Knights inspired team, as I doubt we'll see Hulk, Dr. Strange, Namor (definitely not Namor since I think Universal still holds the rights to that character), Silver Surfer (and Fox owns the rights to him).

It also remains to be seen if it will in fact be a part of the MCU. I'm sure it will be (that'd be the smart approach, since it's built in advertising and hype for the hugely successful MCU series and act as a Television extension of Agents of SHIELD), but you never know. The fact it's airing on Netflix might have come with some exclusivity deal requiring it to be its own thing...but I doubt that, as Netflix stands to benefit greatly by tying it into the existing MCU.

Exciting either way.

I'm going to hold off adding it to the timeline until it's confirmed it's an MCU property and it does indeed happen (basically once filming starts...there's always the possibility--however small given the success of the MCU--that it could fall apart before filming commences).

However, given the fact they're aiming for a 2015 premiere, I think its a safe bet they'll be trying to cross-promote it with Avengers - Age of Ultron and Ant-Man.

And who knows? Perhaps The Defenders (assuming it is a part of the MCU) will spin off into a film as part of Phase 3...or even Phase 4.

Is anyone else concerned that we may have four shows going on at the same time that are essentially the same thing? I mean you could deviate a little between characters as they have different powers and backstories. But to me it will kind of feel like the same four shows. Four different characters dealing with street level crime in the New York area. Given, this is just an announcement and we have years of development happening before they air. But this is just my knee jerk reaction to this news. I also thought they would have Luke Cage and Iron Fist in a show together.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm excited. I'm looking forward to Daredevil most of all. I think it was IrishB who said it would work best as a half law drama, half superhero show.

I don't think they'll all air at the same time. But even with dealing with street level crimes, they still have their own unique aspects to add via the characters that it won't seem like the exact same four shows. Luke, Jessica, and Iron Fist certainly won't deal with any legal drama parts to their shows, for example.

Also, it won't be years of development. They're all already being developed to start shooting sometime in 2014 to air throughout 2015.

As far as I know they will air one at a time with the typical Netflix full season dump. I would anticipate at least a few months in between releases. Nothing to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Is anyone else concerned that we may have four shows going on at the same time that are essentially the same thing? I mean you could deviate a little between characters as they have different powers and backstories. But to me it will kind of feel like the same four shows. Four different characters dealing with street level crime in the New York area. Given, this is just an announcement and we have years of development happening before they air. But this is just my knee jerk reaction to this news.

Well you know what they say about knee jerk reactions. ;)

I do get your point, though, but I think they'll differentiate the approaches and tones enough to make sure each has its own identity.

I also thought they would have Luke Cage and Iron Fist in a show together. Don't get me wrong though, I'm excited. I'm looking forward to Daredevil most of all. I think it was IrishB who said it would work best as a half law drama, half superhero show.

It was indeed my suggestion that they do a DD show which was part superhero/part legal/part forensics show. Sort of a perfect combination of Law & Order, CSI, and super heroics. I'd hope they balance the legal drama with the more fantastical superhero elements just right. That being, the legal drama/courtroom stuff should make up about 1/3 to 1/2 of the show, 1/4 to 1/3 should focus on investigation/forensics (with the tertiary/other cast members), and 1/4 to 1/3 on DD suiting up and doing his hero thing. It should have a darker and gritty tone--I know that's a bit played out at this point in the superhero genre, but it's essential for DD. There can be mild humor through Foggy Nelson, etc, but generally the show should have a more serious tone...easily the most serious of the four proposed shows and mini-series.

Jessica Jones can be a slight variation, instead combining super heroics and private eye genres. It too should have an overall serious tone, but can utilize humor more than DD. It can also play up the personal drama of Jones and allow for a starring female superhero role (something the MCU lacks in their films so far...assuming these are related to the MCU, but I'd be very surprised if they're not).

Iron Fist can feature a more action heavy, martial arts flair than Daredevil, featuring and focusing on visually exciting fight choreography (which isn't expensive in terms of special effects and only requires good fight choreography and wire work...both are very affordable). In terms of its subject matter I'm a bit vague as I'm not very familiar with Iron Fist as I've not read much of his comics.

Same can be said for Cage. Though I know enough about the character to see a benefit to him crossing over/guest starring on both the Jessica Jones and Iron Fist shows, and vice versa.

And ultimately it'll lead to The Defenders mini-series. Still not sure why they're calling it Defenders when it's essentially Marvel Knights in terms of characters, but perhaps it's a way of capitalizing on the Avengers name as well as sort of an in-joke a la Ultimate Defenders...however, while perhaps not a joke in the MCU, they're still not comparable to the A-team of Iron Man, Cap, Thor, and Hulk, and essentially defend their neighborhoods from the street level organized crime as opposed to aliens and gods like the Avengers villain fare.

Latest posts

Back