Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

I'd like to apologize for the horrendous nature of that post.

There is only a "between The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier" time mark.

A group of terrorists tries to steal the Zodiac virus (already seen in the Marvel's One-Shot: Agent Carter) and Cap and his team (the future Crossbones and Black Widow) stop them.

The terrorist leader is called "Baker", maybe a nod to "Floyd Baker", son of Sandman and created by Peter David.

There is only a "between The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier" time mark. A group of terrorists tries to steal the Zodiac virus (already seen in the Marvel's One-Shot: Agent Carter) and Cap and his team (the future Crossbones and Black Widow) stop them. The terrorist leader is called "Baker", maybe a nod to "Floyd Baker", son of Sandman and created by Peter David.

Interesting. Given both Black Widow and Crossbones are on Cap's team, I'd assume this occurs not long before CA-TWS, maybe several months before. Course it could be a year before, or several months after Avengers, too. I doubt we'll get info on how long Crossbones has been working with Cap in the sequel, but if on the off chance they do make mention of that we then at least have an idea.

The story of the Homecoming comic may help to...or not. We'll see.

It's before he became Crossbones. Him, Cap and Black Widow are a secret operation team of SHIELD.

He's in the trailer. Played by Frank Grillo. He's at the beginning on the plane (when Cap jumps off without a parachute he's the guy being asked "Did he have a parachute?") and he's in the elevator fight scene (which I presume is when he turns on Cap).

It's before he became Crossbones. Him, Cap and Black Widow are a secret operation team of SHIELD.

He's in the trailer. Played by Frank Grillo. He's at the beginning on the plane (when Cap jumps off without a parachute he's the guy being asked "Did he have a parachute?") and he's in the elevator fight scene (which I presume is when he turns on Cap).

Okay, cool!

This is only rumor/from an unnamed source supposedly connected with Disney/Marvel, but according to this article, Marvel may be planning a New Avengers movie in Phase 4.

The article does make some good points, specifically RDJ's contract being up after Avengers 3, his age (he'll be 53 by the time Avengers 3 releases), audiences possibly getting tired of the Phase 1-3 characters, etc.

It's also possible some of the Phase 3 solo film characters will be transitioned into the New Avengers (Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther), as well as the heroes debuting in the Netflix series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage).

Of course the comic version of NA featured Spider-Man and Wolverine, who likely will still be at Sony and Fox respectively by the time Phase 4 is done (likely in 2021), BUT, if Fox somehow stops doing X-Men movies after 2016's Apocalypse film, it's conceivable Marvel may be able to get the rights to the X-Men to revert back to them sometime during a theoretical Phase 5 (which would likely be between 2022-2025). Sony will likely hold onto Spidey longer, assuming their plans for four Spidey films and two spin-offs (Venom and Sinister Six) all come to pass. Then it'd probably be Phase 6 (2026-2029) at the earliest before Marvel regains the Spidey character.

And Fantastic Four is still up in the air. The planned reboot will probably happen, and a sequel or two, but unless it's a phenomenal, crowd pleaser of a movie I doubt it'll be worth it to Fox to retain the rights beyond that.

So essentially my point is sometime between 2025-2030 we may finally see Marvel get a crack at their own film version of those properties, and any glorious crossover film that would follow.

Of course, that's 11-17 years away, so best not to hold your breath.

Still, a New Avengers film would be cool. We'll see what happens.

First picture of Batroc the Leaper, mes amis !

FZ-04718_R.jpg

Played by George Saint-Pierre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_St-Pierre

Marvel One Shot All Hail the King has leaked. Doesn't specify exactly when it takes place. But I'm assuming it takes place a few months after. As Trevor is shown to have been in prison for an extended period of time. He's also on the last round of interviews he's been doing for a documentary. Which would probably take place over a few weeks.

As far as the one shot goes, I won't spoil it here, but I will say that a lot of people's theories were right about this one. You can watch it online here, if it hasn't been taken down already;

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=93959

Marvel One Shot All Hail the King has leaked. Doesn't specify exactly when it takes place. But I'm assuming it takes place a few months after. As Trevor is shown to have been in prison for an extended period of time. He's also on the last round of interviews he's been doing for a documentary. Which would probably take place over a few weeks.

As far as the one shot goes, I won't spoil it here, but I will say that a lot of people's theories were right about this one. You can watch it online here, if it hasn't been taken down already;

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=93959

It's gone.

Also included are the canon MCU comic stories, specifically:

Captain America - The First Avenger #1-2
Iron Man - I Am Iron Man #1-2
Iron Man 2 #1-2
Thor #1-2
Captain America - The First Avenger: First Vengeance #1-4
Iron Man 2 - Public Identity #1-3
Iron Man 2 - Agents of SHIELD #1
The Avengers - Prelude: Fury's Big Week #1-4
The Avengers - Prelude: Black Widow Strikes #1-3
Iron Man 3 - Prelude #1-2
Thor - The Dark World: Prelude #1-2
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (AoS Twitter page)
Captain America - Homecoming #1
Captain America - The Winter Soldier: Infinite #1
Guardians of the Galaxy - Prelude #1-2
Guardians of the Galaxy - Infinite #1

There are a number of non-canon MCU comic books, either directly influenced by the story, appearance, style, etc of MCU movies or directly spun off from it, however since these are considered non-canon by Marvel they're not included.[/b]

Hey guys,
Forgive me for any mistakes I'll make, english is not my native language, so please bear with me.

First time here. You have NO idea how glad I am to have found you. I got here after a very LOOOOONG search for an organized list of the MCU canon tie-in comics. I've found countless lists that had both canon and uncanon comics but didn't specify which are which and finally I've found this timeline. And after being a big MCU fan for a long time (But only found out about the tie-in comics recently) I thank you, DIrishB and Captain France for making it so comfortable and organized.
But, I do have a few question.
A) How do you know for sure which ones are canon and which aren't. I know that some of them have the "Official MCU tie-in comic" stamp, but not all of them. Not just the first ones, but also the new ones like "Captain America - The Winter Soldier: Infinite". Or even ones that didn't came out yet like Guardians of the Galaxy - Prelude and Infinite, how do you know in advanced which will be canon? I ask this because you are the most liable source for me for the MCU right now... but what is YOUR source? How do YOU differ between the canon comics and the uncanon comics besides the stamps?
B) How come there is no Hulk canon comic?
C) What's that? Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (AoS Twitter page) does this reffer to that one AOS picture? Is it a teaser for something?
D) Does the comics that just titled with the movie name means the movie adaptation comics? (for example "Captain America - The First Avenger #1-2", "Iron Man 2 #1-2", "Thor #1-2").

Thanks in advanced for your help,
Roey.

Marvel One Shot All Hail the King has leaked. Doesn't specify exactly when it takes place. But I'm assuming it takes place a few months after. As Trevor is shown to have been in prison for an extended period of time. He's also on the last round of interviews he's been doing for a documentary. Which would probably take place over a few weeks. As far as the one shot goes, I won't spoil it here, but I will say that a lot of people's theories were right about this one. You can watch it online here, if it hasn't been taken down already; http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=93959

Darn, I missed it. Guess I'll go search "elsewhere".

Hey guys, Forgive me for any mistakes I'll make, english is not my native language, so please bear with me. First time here. You have NO idea how glad I am to have found you. I got here after a very LOOOOONG search for an organized list of the MCU canon tie-in comics. I've found countless lists that had both canon and uncanon comics but didn't specify which are which and finally I've found this timeline. And after being a big MCU fan for a long time (But only found out about the tie-in comics recently) I thank you, DIrishB and Captain France for making it so comfortable and organized. But, I do have a few question.

A) How do you know for sure which ones are canon and which aren't. I know that some of them have the "Official MCU tie-in comic" stamp, but not all of them. Not just the first ones, but also the new ones like "Captain America - The Winter Soldier: Infinite". Or even ones that didn't came out yet like Guardians of the Galaxy - Prelude and Infinite, how do you know in advanced which will be canon? I ask this because you are the most liable source for me for the MCU right now... but what is YOUR source? How do YOU differ between the canon comics and the uncanon comics besides the stamps?

Early on Will Cotrona Pilgrim (who works for Marvel and oversees the official comic books for the MCU) listed which were and weren't canon. And ever since then it's usually the official comic prequels or tie-ins that are then collected in trade paperback.

B) How come there is no Hulk canon comic?

Good question. There was a comic titled "The Big Picture" released with the first Incredible Hulk on DVD in 2008, but it's not canon since it features Banner and Blonskey meeting in the jungle before the events of the film. It definitely doesn't fit. "The Fury Files" could fit (that features Fury trailing Banner to a bar and asking him questions), but apparently that ones not canon.

C) What's that? Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (AoS Twitter page) does this reffer to that one AOS picture? Is it a teaser for something?

It's just a one-page comic on the Agents of Shield Twitter page showing Fitz getting a hologram monkey for his birthday. I'm assuming its a bit of an in-joke by Quesada (who drew it). But I saw no reason to overlook it.

D) Does the comics that just titled with the movie name means the movie adaptation comics? (for example "Captain America - The First Avenger #1-2", "Iron Man 2 #1-2", "Thor #1-2"). Thanks in advanced for your help, Roey.

Yeah. Captain America - The First Avenger #1-2 is a retelling of the film tale, whereas Captain America - The First Avenger: First Vengeance #1-4 is an original tale.

There've been adaptations of Captain America - The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Thor so far. I include them to be as complete as possible, since sometimes those comic adaptations feature scenes that were cut from the films.

Speaking of which, Captain France, we should probably contact Will Corona Pilgrim and make sure everything is still canon, just to be safe.

Early on Will Cotrona Pilgrim (who works for Marvel and oversees the official comic books for the MCU) listed which were and weren't canon. And ever since then it's usually the official comic prequels or tie-ins that are then collected in trade paperback.

But there are comics that appears in the collected trade paperbak that you didn't list as canon such as "Iron Man: Fast Friends" and "The Incredible Hulk: The Fury Files" in the " I Am Iron Man TPB", to name a few.

Thanks for your answers :)

But there are comics that appears in the collected trade paperbak that you didn't list as canon such as "Iron Man: Fast Friends" and "The Incredible Hulk: The Fury Files" in the " I Am Iron Man TPB", to name a few. Thanks for your answers :)

I know, but Mr. Pilgrim (who's in charge of the MCU comics) stated those were non-canon.

I also shouldn't have said those that are collected in trade, as many 616 issues are collected in the MCU trades but they're obviously not canon.

Basically the canon comics are the ones which feature the official Avengers tie-in logo on the comic covers. The earlier comics didn't feature the logo, but were clarified by Mr. Pilgrim as being official MCU canon, and all the newer ones have. The only exception seems to be the Infinite comics (Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy), but unless it's stated otherwise they should be included as they fit.

Hope that helps!

I know, but Mr. Pilgrim (who's in charge of the MCU comics) stated those were non-canon.

I also shouldn't have said those that are collected in trade, as many 616 issues are collected in the MCU trades but they're obviously not canon.

Basically the canon comics are the ones which feature the official Avengers tie-in logo on the comic covers. The earlier comics didn't feature the logo, but were clarified by Mr. Pilgrim as being official MCU canon, and all the newer ones have. The only exception seems to be the Infinite comics (Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy), but unless it's stated otherwise they should be included as they fit.

Hope that helps!

You helped me more than you think!
Thank you.
I'm gonna follow this thread from now on. You guys are the best :)

So I just watched "All Hail the King". It was pretty good. More Trevor Slattery hijinks are always a good thing.

However, I'm a bit disappointed that all we got to see was the
documentary maker pulling the gun on him and telling Trevor he was breaking him out to meet the real Mandarin (and likely die by his hand).

Would've been nice to see it get wrapped up. I suppose we'll have to wait for Avengers 3 or maybe Iron Man 4 to meet the actual Mandarin.

I liked it though. Slattery is always hilarious and it was cool seeing Justin Hammer back.

You helped me more than you think! Thank you. I'm gonna follow this thread from now on. You guys are the best :)

Awesome! Glad you found it useful. I tend to update whenever a new movie is released (then finalize its update once it's out on DVD), a new Agents of SHIELD episode is released, a new One-Shot is released (which is just about every new Blu-Ray version of the films), or a new canon comic is released.

Once Thor - The Dark World is released in the United States I'll update for that. I'm still behind on the CA-TFA comic adaptation issues since my local comic shop didn't order any, so I'm just waiting on TPB.

Latest posts

Back