Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Actually Kingsley never confirmed it would have to do with Trevor meeting the 'real' Mandarin. All he did was confirm he was working on a secret Marvel project. It was Latino Review that 'confirmed' that he would meet the real Mandarin. I use the term 'confirmed' loosely though, because almost immediately Drew Pierce the screenwriter of Iron Man 3 went to twitter and said, ' nobody's going to be apologizing for the Mandarin twist any time soon.' http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SuperheroStation/news/?a=89317 It doesn't completely debunk the theory, because Drew Pierce probably isn't working on the Trevor one shot. However you would think that Marvel wouldn't immediately ret-con a twist, from one of their highest grossing, and critically acclaimed movies because it received backlash from SOME of the fans. Whether we liked the twist or not is irrelevant, because the majority of the world did like it. It was a risky plot twist, and it did tick off some people, but in Marvel's eyes in was a success. So as Drew Pierce said, nobody's apologizing. Personally I imagine the one shot being about Trevor going into prison, and people not knowing he's an actor, treating him like a king. He quickly takes advantage of this and starts ruling the prison. Maybe with the end of it having him starting a prison riot and escaping.

Good point, however we do know Kingsley worked on a One Shot, so it stands to reason it's more likely related to Trevor than Loki. Inherent details about the One Shot aside, it's obviously the one Kingsley revealed months back, not a Loki centric one (which if were the case would merely continue a plot thread from Thor-TDW, which is likely best left alone until the next feature length Thor film to get the proper focus, something a One Shot really isn't likely to provide).

And it appears the Agent Carter series will begin filming in late 2014.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/devlin712/news/?a=92360

I wonder if this means we'll see the show premiere before the year is out, or more likely as a mid-season show that'll start airing in early 2015.

Course I'm not sure if the show will also air on ABC, or go the Netflix route, etc. If it doesn't air on ABC it's airing schedule isn't beholden to the usual September - May television network season.

So I read an interesting post on FB by the Marvel Cinematic Universe group, pertaining to how Sony only retains the film rights to Spider-Man, but that Marvel regained the television rights to Spider-Man and his associated characters in 2009, including animation (hence the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon) and live action.

So, essentially, if Marvel chose to, they could do a live action Spider-Man show set in the MCU on television. The only thing is, that Spider-Man character could never cross over into the films until Sony's rights to the character expire, which won't be until 2018 or 2019 I think.

It's unlikely Marvel would do so, however, as it'd create a sort of brand dilution between the Amazing Spider-Man films Sony is putting out, and this proposed TV show. Sony could even try to sue Marvel for lost profits, though it's extremely unlikely they'd win, and it would definitely sour the business relationship between the two companies.

So in thinking about it and the fact we've got Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones (as well as The Defenders) all coming to television between 2017-2018, what if Marvel did attempt it? Granted it would have to have a pretty decent budget to translate Spider-Man's acrobatic powers to the small screen, but I think it can be done, and done well, from an effects perspective.

And to possibly help differentiate between Garfield's Peter Parker in the ASM films, I wouldn't be adverse to them using Miles Morales for the MCU Spider-Man. And Donald Glover could totally play him. ;)

Besides, the MCU desperately needs some diversity to their heroes, and a great place to start would be adapting a version of one of their most popular heroes, but using the African-American/Latino version instead of white bread Peter.

But it might be an interesting way to include Spidey in the MCU, by keeping him temporarily relegated to a live action TV show set in the MCU, until Sony's rights expire in 5 or so years, at which point the character can make the transition to the films.

What do you think? Would you like to see that, or prefer them just to wait for the film rights to revert to Marvel in 5 or 6 years? I'm admittedly ignorant about how those contracts work. I know after so many years of no attempt at making a film the rights revert back, but Sony seems intent on keeping the ball rolling through 2018 and even beyond, given the recent announcement of an Amazing Spider-Man 3 in 2016, Amazing Spider-Man 4 in 2018, and a Sinister Six and Venom spin-offs along the way. That seems to indicate Sony has a comfortable window of time even after they stop with the current series and it's spin offs, meaning Marvel may not get the Spidey rights back until well into the 2020's. And that begs the question of if the MCU will still be around at that point, 12-15 years after it's introduction. Granted box office receipts currently would indicate so, but 5-6 years down the road will the movies be as popular, once the roles are inevitably recast? After all, RDJ is only contracted through Avengers 2 and 3.

My understanding of the way the rights work, is that Fox or Sony have 6 or 7 years after the last movie came out to make another movie with that character/property. ie The Amazing Spider-man was filmed in 2011, so they have until 2017 or 18 to do another. But they have to start principal photography on said new movie within that time. That's the only scenario where the clock resets. They can't just announce a movie and spend decades in pre-production.

Fox failed to start filming another Daredevil property in time, that is why the rights reverted back. Sony has loads of time before it loses its Spider-man rights. However, the common consensus on the world wide web, is that Fantastic Four has until September of this year to start filming before its rights revert back. So, I don't know about you guys but I'm crossing everything I got, hoping that this Fox Fantastic Four reboot falls apart so the rights can revert. I'd much rather see them a part of the MCU than the X-men universe.

And to answer your question, I don't think I'd like to see a live-action Spider-man show. Even if it was the only way to get him in the MCU. As you said, the special effects would be hard to pull off with a tv budget. And I think it would constantly be trying to differentiate itself from the movies, and so it would make drastic changes. For example, the movies are showcasing Gwen Stacey as a love interest, they would maybe go with Mary Jane or Betty Brant. That's probably a bad example, as I don't think people would really mind. But stuff like changing the suit, after they just got it right! To be honest, I really like Andrew Garfield's Spider-man. I'd much rather have Sony and Marvel just come to an agreement, and have them both take place in the same universe. But I can dream.

My understanding of the way the rights work, is that Fox or Sony have 6 or 7 years after the last movie came out to make another movie with that character/property. ie The Amazing Spider-man was filmed in 2011, so they have until 2017 or 18 to do another. But they have to start principal photography on said new movie within that time. That's the only scenario where the clock resets. They can't just announce a movie and spend decades in pre-production. Fox failed to start filming another Daredevil property in time, that is why the rights reverted back. Sony has loads of time before it loses its Spider-man rights. However, the common consensus on the world wide web, is that Fantastic Four has until September of this year to start filming before its rights revert back. So, I don't know about you guys but I'm crossing everything I got, hoping that this Fox Fantastic Four reboot falls apart so the rights can revert. I'd much rather see them a part of the MCU than the X-men universe.

Yeah I knew that was generally how it worked but wasn't sure of the time frame. And since ASM2 has already completed filming that'd put it somewhere in the 2019-2021 time frame before the rights revert back.

And to answer your question, I don't think I'd like to see a live-action Spider-man show. Even if it was the only way to get him in the MCU. As you said, the special effects would be hard to pull off with a tv budget.

I said it may be expensive, but it may not be. Green screen and wire work could accomplish it and I'm quite sure its cost wouldn't be prohibitive. Even his villains wouldn't necessarily require extensive CGI or effects.

And I think it would constantly be trying to differentiate itself from the movies, and so it would make drastic changes. For example, the movies are showcasing Gwen Stacey as a love interest, they would maybe go with Mary Jane or Betty Brant. That's probably a bad example, as I don't think people would really mind. But stuff like changing the suit, after they just got it right! To be honest, I really like Andrew Garfield's Spider-man. I'd much rather have Sony and Marvel just come to an agreement, and have them both take place in the same universe. But I can dream.

I'd like that as well, but given the legal entanglements I doubt it's going to happen, most especially as it would create continuity problems between the series (ASM is set in either Summer/Fall of 2012 or 2013, while Avengers is set in May, 2012). The fact there's no mention of a massive alien invasion in ASM is pretty glaring, even if they were originally trying to insert the Osborn building in Avengers (or was it Stark tower in ASM?).

And while they may choose to change certain aspects, I don't see that as a problem. While I prefer the ASM version to Raimi's trilogy, I wouldn't mind a more classic approach to Peter Parker on a MCU set television series, or even Miles Morales (in fact I'd prefer they take a shot at bringing Miles to the screen, as he's a great character with a fantastic supporting cast and the MCU really needs to offer up some diversity in their universe).

It's on there, check the Dec 29, 2013 entry.

I'm not sure if it should be canon or not, but for now I'm including it until we learn otherwise. It doesn't dispute anything from the show or movies.

The "To Be Continued" tag certainly indicates there may be more of these little one page comics, perhaps released and focusing on the other AoS actors' birthdays, etc.

No sign of H.E.N.R.Y. in tonight's episode, possibly due to the fact it was set 36 hours after the previous EP.
but also no comic for Brett Dalton's birthday. Leaving the "To Be Continued" still confusing.

No sign of H.E.N.R.Y. in tonight's episode, possibly due to the fact it was set 36 hours after the previous EP. but also no comic for Brett Dalton's birthday. Leaving the "To Be Continued" still confusing.

Yep. I'm not really expecting the monkey to show up, truthfully. However, as you said, this occurred 3-4 days after the previous episode, and is likely set in Nov or Dec. Its still possible another couple episodes will be fit in before Jan, 2014 rolls around in the show's timeline...or maybe not.

Why is no one talking about how mindblowingly awesome the new episode was?

Out of curiosity, has there been any update to the Mega fan edit that was made a while back based off this timeline? or are they waiting for phase 2 to be completed?

I'm happy with Spidey where he is, and I think Marvel more or less is too. Granted, I'm sure they want the Spidey property back, but it's not like they aren't making money off of the Sony movies. Sony is making them money without them having to invest directly into film development for the characters. I imagine they see Spidey as a long term asset. They have a whole library full of characters and they've already proven they can make money off of properties that aren't A-list. Spidey, OTOH, has already had two separate franchises in just over a decade. By the time Marc Webb is done, we'll have seen at least two trilogies and likely have burned through all of Spidey's big name rogues. I suspect they want the property back, but even if they did get him, they'd sit on the character for some time. Let Spidey's overexposure on film run its course while they introduce the public to new properties and get back to him once the audience has forgotten. I doubt they're interested in overexposing the guy even more by bringing in another spin on the character.

I could see Miles Morales working out quite well for Sony, though. If they want to keep the franchise alive, transition to him. Retain Garfield for a smaller role in a fourth movie and use that to pass the torch to Miles. Say, Parker has more or less retired as Spider-Man, is teaching at a school Miles attends, and a terrorist attack (I'd say, Scorpion and pals? wounded soldiers subjected to cybernetic experimentation? Miles' dad as a former scientist involved in their project? Miles as the targeted hostage?) leaves him wounded and needing an emergency transfusion, ending up with irradiated Parker blood. It could be a smart way to keep the franchise afloat without having to worry about another full reboot.

Further, I think it behooves Marvel to play nice with Sony. There's the potential there for a healthy working relationship between the two in a way they likely won't with Fox. Fox bought the rights to the X-Men franchise flat out, which means Marvel gets none of the box office for the X-movies. They're likely to want to negotiate, especially considering how broad and versatile that property is. OTOH, Marvel gets royalties from the Spider-Man flicks. Granted, during the time of the Raimi movies, that was only 5%, but it appears they've negotiated with Sony since then to expand those royalties and also to gain more control over film merchandising rights. While that's a far cry from full ownership, it also has negligible risk. Marvel can only churn out so many movies a year (They seemed to have settled at a comfortable two), and again, they have plenty of other properties to draw from. They're making money from the Spider-Man movies for doing nothing. Similarly, Sony only has the Spider-Man license. Negotiating with Marvel means they're leaving the door open to rent out other characters (albeit, likely in much more favorable terms to Marvel), or even crossing their franchises over and boosting the box office grosses of both studios' properties. The Spidey property isn't as versatile as X-Men or the greater MCU, but they're clearly trying their hand at expanding it outward to see how long its legs are. I think that will ultimately decide their relationship with MCU, and will be the one factor in whether they'll be willing to give Spidey up (I'd guess by either trading characters or guaranteeing themselves a piece of Marvel's stake in Spidey-on-film) but I think ATM, both sides benefit from being complacent in the relationship at play.

One way or another, I don't see the rights reverting back in just five years, and I don't think Marvel will be overeager to reboot Spidey again. They've already got enough lucrative plates spinning.

Last edited:
My understanding of the way the rights work, is that Fox or Sony have 6 or 7 years after the last movie came out to make another movie with that character/property. ie The Amazing Spider-man was filmed in 2011, so they have until 2017 or 18 to do another. But they have to start principal photography on said new movie within that time. That's the only scenario where the clock resets. They can't just announce a movie and spend decades in pre-production.

I've been wondering what the exact criteria for this are. Would, say, a Daily Bugle or Venom or Sinister Six film qualify as a renewal of the property? If not, they're going to have to look at the possibility of implementing another reboot in the nearish future.

Last edited:
New MCU prequel on the way for april :

MARVEL'S GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY PRELUDE #1 (OF 2)
DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING (W) • WELLINTON ALVES (A)
GET READY FOR MARVEL'S GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY WITH AN ALL-NEW COMIC BOOK PRELUDE—WRITTEN BY COSMIC LEGENDS DAN ABNETT AND ANDY LANNING!
• Who is Nebula? What tragic events forged her unbreakable allegiance to her dark lord? Find out here!
• Plus: Gamora! Korath! And more from the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

Latest posts

Back