Marvel confirms: Ultimates 2 extended to 13 issues

i'd rather have the bigass issue 12 than have it split into 12 and 13.
it's just that with issue 10's ending (and hawkeye's kickassingness), 24, and prison break...i don't know how much suspense and wickedness i can take!:shock:

DanMo said:
i'd rather have the bigass issue 12 than have it split into 12 and 13.
it's just that with issue 10's ending (and hawkeye's kickassingness), 24, and prison break...i don't know how much suspense and wickedness i can take!:shock:

According to the Millar interview, #13 is more of an "aftermath" issue.

Now I'm starting to wonder how they'll manage the TPB. There's seven issues, two of which are longer than normal, and two annuals that are also longer than normal issues. That's, what, about 11 normal issues worth of stuff. And there's no cut-off point in the middle where they could be easily separated into two trades. And I can't see the upcoming annual being collected with U3.

Last edited:
vintsukka said:
Now I'm starting to wonder how they'll manage the TPB. There's seven issues, two of which are longer than normal, and two annuals that are also longer than normal issues. That's, what, about 11 normal issues worth of stuff. And there's no cut-off point in the middle where they could be easily separated into two trades. And I can't see the upcoming annual being collected with U3.

I doubt Annual #2 will be collected with Ultimates 2 - if it's collected anywhere other than an Ultimates Annual TPB it's more likely to go in with Ultimates 3.

But that still leaves 9-10 issues worth of stuff. Way too much for a TPB. And I doubt they'd collect the second volume in a HC with the first being a TPB.

They could split it up into 2 TPBs for a total of 3 for the series. As far as keeping a story consistant it might be awkward, but they've put out 3 and 4 issue TPBs, so there's no reason to think they couldn't do a 4/5 or 5/5. I think that's the most likely scenario.

vintsukka said:
Didn't Millar say that the first Ultimates annual wouldn't be collected in the U2 TPB either? Since I'm waiting on the trade I don't know how much longer the issues were, but it seems to be a possible amount for a trade. How much longer were they? If they were double-sized, then that's nine issues, eight issue trades are somewhat common and I don't see much fault to one more issue except the price raise.

Last edited:
Pandrio said:
Didn't Millar say that the first Ultimates annual wouldn't be collected in the U2 TPB either?

I thought he said that it would be collected with U2 but he was against the idea of an Ultimates Annual TPB. Maybe I have it backward, but either way I don't believe he claimed it wasn't going to happen. And given that every other annual was collected in a TPB of the same title, I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Pandrio said:
If they were double-sized, then that's nine issues, eight issue trades are somewhat common and I don't see much fault to one more issue except the price raise.

Right - House of M was 8 issues, plus a few extra covers, plus the Pulse special edition. 1602 was 8 issues in one TPB. But like was mentioned earlier I think when all the extra pages of U2 are taken into consideration, plus the annual, it might be closer to 9/10 issues worth of material.

The annual must be published in the U2 trade because all the others were in their respective trades. Because if it isn't, to own everything Ultimate in trade form you'd have to pay twice for the other three annuals. Marvel just can't do that. Can they?

vintsukka said:
The annual must be published in the U2 trade because all the others were in their respective trades. Because if it isn't, to own everything Ultimate in trade form you'd have to pay twice for the other three annuals. Marvel just can't do that. Can they?

:lol:

Looking into the future, I'm not sure if I would feel Hitch moving onto a book I liked would be a good thing or a bad thing. If he could pump out issues at a reasonable pace, he would be my all time favorite artist, but I just can't take the heartache of these delays. Although, my denyal process works pretty well.

I remember thinking I would hate the huge delay between Ultimates V2 and Ultimates V3, but at this pace I think Ultimates 3 will start just about on time after the end of Ultimates V2.

Re: 13th issue of Ultimates 2 being added?

Bass said:
Hey, at least Battle Chasers finished!

Oh no, wait. It didn't. :(

I'm with you McEvil (though I don't remember delays on UXM), I love Mad's work, but I really hope he can bring out the goods this time round.

forgot i had those books lol...

Wizard magazine hunts down with Mark Millar and asks what's The Final issue, The Final battle, the final word from writer Mark Millar.

Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch's Ultimates 2 constantly pushes the envelope from mainstream superhero comics while constantly pushing the limits of its readers patience.

Though there have been month-long gaps between issues in the past, Marvel announced that #12 will ship promptly in June, and lucky for fans, that's not quite the end: September sees an action-packed, expanded thirteenth issue to end the team's five year run. Exciting news that makes for a long summer for readers, so to help preserve your sanity, Wizard cornered Millar for dirt on the payoff.

Wizard: The Cover to issue #12 shows just about every Ultimate hero ready to fight. What's going on there?
Millar: It's the biggest set piece we've done yet. This is Bryan Hitch drawing everybody. And I wrote that ending for the very simple reason that I wanted to see Bryan hitch drawing everybody. The Ultimates saving America from those Axis of Evil dudes is going to make [directors] Jim Cameron and Michael Bay look like Woody Allen.
Who's gonna bite it in the end?
Millar: There's one huge death at the end of this run. I ain't saying who, so let the speculation begin.
Will Thor get to cut loose as the Son of Odin, instead of wallowing in self-pity?
Millar: I think Thor fans are going to enjoy the rest of this book.
Will Hank Pym get to redeem himself?
Millar: Sadly, I think Hank Pym fans will want to open a vein.
What's next for the Millar/Hitch team-up?
Millar: Bryan and I have already stared prep work on our next project. It's the biggest undertaking either of us there's a huge amount and we're both already studying hard as there's a huge amount of research involved. It involves more than one book and a lot of characters so we want to make sure we get this absolutely perfect. The book should be huge, by far our most high profile gig, and there might be an announcement at the end of this year's convention season.
What kind of shape are you leaving the Ultimates in as you pass the title to Jeph Loeb and Joe Madureira?
Millar: I think we're leaving them a pretty good book to play with. It's had a remarkable run in terms of sales, awards and fan acclaim, but Jeph and joe are pretty much the only team I'd have wanted to see this go to because they'll do their own thing, I'd have hated to see someone carry on what we were doing or try to imitate us. In the words of Jim Carrey, imitation is the sincerest form of plagiarism. After almost five years. I think a new direction will keep [the book]-and the Ultimate line-very fresh.

#12 in June
#13 in September.

Oy.

Latest posts

Back