Marvel NOW "relaunch"

94e595d33d35ed70aa8e7a661a7f586364d248ca.jpg

Here's something Alex Alonso said about Bendi's All-New X-Men:

"And let me be very clear: Once the Lee & Kirby X-Men come into the present, they're here for the long haul. They're here for the foreseeable future, and that's something they -- and the rest of the Marvel Universe -- will have to come to terms with."

Last edited:
Here's something Alex Alonso said about Bendi's All-New X-Men:

"And let me be very clear: Once the Lee & Kirby X-Men come into the present, they're here for the long haul. They're here for the foreseeable future, and that's something they -- and the rest of the Marvel Universe -- will have to come to terms with."

So...about 8 months.

Got it, Alex. Thanks.

Someone list all of the titles and the creative teams and the casts for me because every website seems to have different information and I'm too lazy to collate it all together.

Uncanny Avengers
Writer
: Rick Remender
Penciler: John Cassaday
Roster: Captain America, Wolverine, Rogue, Thor, Havok, & The Scarlet Witch

New Avengers
Writer
: Jonathan Hickman
Penciler: Steve Epting
Roster: None mentioned as of yet

Avengers
Writer
Penciler: Jeremy Opena
Roster: No actual members listed yet, but officially noted there will be at least 18.

All-New X-Men
Writer
: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciler: Stuart Immonen
Roster: Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Angel, Jean Grey

Last edited:
And Matt Fraction on Fantastic Four and Kieron Gillen on Iron Man... and someone (maybe Jason Aaron) on Captain America.

And Matt Fraction on Fantastic Four and Kieron Gillen on Iron Man... and someone (maybe Jason Aaron) on Captain America.
Where'd you here those?

New Avengers
Writer
Roster: Vision, Black Knight, Atlas?, Hercules, Crystal (Inhumans), Unknown (Dont know who the woman is on the cover to the far right)
I'm pretty sure that cover was an Avengers Decades cover from the beginning of the current NA volume (edit Scot Eaton's Hero Initiative variant) (edit also I think the one on the far right is the Eternal Sersei)

The New Avengers wouldn't have the 90's (leather jacket era) roster like that

Btw most of these new costumes suck or blow, except Havok's wich sucks AND blows

Last edited:
Uncanny Avengers
Writer
: Rick Remender
Penciler: John Cassaday
Roster: Captain America, Wolverine, Rogue, Thor, Havok, & The Scarlet Witch

New Avengers
Writer
Roster: Vision, Black Knight, Atlas?, Hercules, Crystal (Inhumans), Unknown (Dont know who the woman is on the cover to the far right)

Avengers
Writer
Penciler: Jeremy Opena
Roster: No actual members listed yet, but officially noted there will be at least 18.

All-New X-Men
Writer
: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciler: Stuart Immonen
Roster: Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Angel, Jean Grey

Which of these have been officially announced?

None of those lineups or creative teams are appealing to me at all. None of this feels like it fixes anything or addresses any problems. It just feels like they are switching things up just because. I'll check these out for the first few issues but as of right now these are pretty good jumping off points.

I'm pretty sure that cover was an Avengers Decades cover from the beginning of the current NA volume (edit Scot Eaton's Hero Initiative variant) (edit also I think the one on the far right is the Eternal Sersei)
Gotcha. Thought it was weird for them to be a team together now.

Which of these have been officially announced?
They all have. With the change that the New Avengers roster isn't the one previously posted, everything's been official since the beginning.

Where'd you here those?

The first two were speculated on Bleeding Cool along with the ones confirmed so far. Someone must be taking over Captain America since Ed Brubaker is leaving and I'm guessing it might be Jason Aaron since he posted on Twitter that he was working on a new Marvel series.

From Newsarama: Marvel NOW-ledge: What We Know So Far About the Revamp

Some key info:

• Covers will now be "cinematic".
  • X-Factor and Daredevil are two books (among others) that will continue regularly and not be affected.
  • Avengers Assemble and Secret Avengers are confirmed to be continuing, but no other information besides that.
  • At least one X-Men book is ending and right now that's Kieron's Uncanny X-Men. About that: ""Brian's All-New X-Men replaces or succeeds Uncanny X-Men in the same way that New Avengers succeeded Avengers," Brevoort told CBR."
  • "Some or all of the six movie Avengers (Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow, as if you didn't know) -- and perhaps even the new Nick Fury introduced in Battle Scars and seen in the "Marvel NOW!" teaser -- are a lock to play a part."
  • Havok is the leader for Uncanny Avengers.

Last edited:
Covers will now be "cinematic".

:roll:

Havok is the leader for Uncanny Avengers.

Good move. Don't tie things in to the (extremely popular) movies so that new readers can jump right in, which I would assume is one of the major goals of a relaunch. We'd hate for people to know what's going on. And Havok is such a great character, too.

Gah. Havok. Seriously?

There should be a core Avengers book, called "Avengers" which should feature the characters seen in the movie. It should be the most accessible story-wise. Make it "widescreen" and "cinematic" and entertaining.

From there you branch out into other Avengers books which handle more niche plots and characters to satisfy the fanboys.

There should also be core X-Men book called "X-Men" which features the most well-known X-Men. Ideally it would be the original 5 plus Wolverine. Maybe Rogue since she was important in the first movie, but we're far enough removed from that that she isn't as crucial and relegating her to a secondary book would be OK. Like "Avengers" this is your
"widescreen" "cinematic" and most accessible book. Also, like the other Avengers books, you branch out from there to satisfy the fanboys.

What is the purpose of making it MORE difficult for new readers to jump in? What are they trying to accomplish? Like so much they've done over the last 10 years or so, it feels like they are throwing crap on the wall to see what sticks; making changes just to make changes because they don't have the talent or ability to a) write stories that progress into one another or b) take advantage of the huge opportunities that having hit movies provides and turning that into greater sales.

Just because some characters aren't as popular or well known as others doesn't mean they are making things difficult for new readers. I don't see how any new readers would be confused just because the books will feature characters not known/well-known to them, which seems to be a point I yours, unless I misread.

And both things you said what they should do is just a out exactly what they doing (minus the Wolverine and Rogue with the original X-Men).

Just because some characters aren't as popular or well known as others doesn't mean they are making things difficult for new readers. I don't see how any new readers would be confused just because the books will feature characters not known/well-known to them, which seems to be a point I yours, unless I misread.

I didn't mean "difficult" like you read it - it's not a matter of difficult so much as it is familiarity. Try to put yourself in the shoes of a person who has seen the movies but doesn't read comics, and is either standing in front of a comic rack or looking at new comics on your iPad. You see 2 covers - one has all of the characters you just saw in the Avengers movie, and the other has a couple as well as a couple you don't recognize. Which are you more likely to pick up? I would hazard to guess it would be the one closest to what you are familiar with.

That's what they need to do to hook in new readers. You can (very carefully) reference other books to get them to buy more and different things, so they can realize there are other types of books out there. But you need to make things as accessible as possible, and you do that by showing them what they already know.

And both things you said what they should do is just a out exactly what they doing (minus the Wolverine and Rogue with the original X-Men).

Well, those are two of the most important criticisms. It's not exactly what they are doing, and they could be doing things a lot better.

And the other, biggest one is one that most comic readers won't think is a big deal but I can guarantee it is - the titles. This is going to be a stumbling block in bringing in new readers. "Uncanny" and "All New" are terrible titles. Just go with what people know. Your secondary books should have titles relevant to what the book is about. "Uncanny X-Force" is a good book but the title is terrible. You can't look at the cover and tell what kind of book it is. "Secret Avengers" is much better because it is more descriptive of the type of book it is (or was; I haven't read it since Ellis left). The titles are very, very important. ESPECIALLY when you are relaunching in an effort to bring it new readers.

I didn't mean "difficult" like you read it - it's not a matter of difficult so much as it is familiarity. Try to put yourself in the shoes of a person who has seen the movies but doesn't read comics, and is either standing in front of a comic rack or looking at new comics on your iPad. You see 2 covers - one has all of the characters you just saw in the Avengers movie, and the other has a couple as well as a couple you don't recognize. Which are you more likely to pick up? I would hazard to guess it would be the one closest to what you are familiar with.

That's what they need to do to hook in new readers. You can (very carefully) reference other books to get them to buy more and different things, so they can realize there are other types of books out there. But you need to make things as accessible as possible, and you do that by showing them what they already know.
I'd wager most new readers would go to what they are 'familiar' with, but at the same time, if Marvel did that only, you're really alienating a portion of the fans from ever expanding because they would stay what with they are familiar with. That in turn would be unfair to other characters who wouldn't get as much exposure to new readers. That's why it's a good thing what Marvel is doing with Uncanny Avengers team. You have recognizable characters mixed in with others who new readers won't know and then get to know them.

Ice said:
if Marvel did that only, you're really alienating a portion of the fans from ever expanding because they would stay what with they are familiar with. That in turn would be unfair to other characters who wouldn't get as much exposure to new readers. That's why it's a good thing what Marvel is doing with Uncanny Avengers team. You have recognizable characters mixed in with others who new readers won't know and then get to know them.

I don't think that would be the case at all. There is plenty of room to carefully encourage people to check out other books, either by referencing them in story or with promotional pages similar to what is done in Fantastic Four & FF.

That's one way, but I firmly believe the other way can work better for more exposure than just a reference or guest appearance.

Ice said:
The 9 Marvel books ending in October:

[*]Captain America
[*]Fantastic Four
[*]FF
[*]Incredible Hulk
[*]Invincible Iron Man
[*]New Mutants
[*]The Mighty Thor
[*]Uncanny X-Men
[*]X-Men Legacy

How many times has Thor been relaunched in the last 5 years or so? This is pretty ridiculous.

Latest posts

Back