Marvel NOW "relaunch"

How many times has Thor been relaunched in the last 5 years or so? This is pretty ridiculous.

I have been going through all my comics cataloging them so I can get them into a database. This whole relaunching, renumbering, changing titles, going back to original numbering etc stuff makes it SO difficult. Thor is a prime example. I have original Journey into Mystery issues. Which becomes Thor (the Mighty). Down the road gets renumbered from #1. Year later gets renumbered again to return to original numbering. Few months later changes title back to JiM and a new Mighty Thor title starts from #1. Which is now going to be canceled again only to likely be relaunched again down the road. Ugh!!!! :arrgh:

I'd be perfectly fine with them semi-regularly resetting to number one (and I sure don't understand the fanboy fetishization of high numbers), if they just didn't feel compelled to revert it back to "classic" numbering. Launch a new volume with each major creative change but don't bounce around with the numbering. That's stupid.

Last edited:
I'd be perfectly fine with them semi-regularly resetting to number one (and I sure don't understand the fanboy fetishization of high numbers), if they just didn't feel compelled to revert it back to "classic" numbering. Launch a new volume with each major creative change but don't bounce around with the numbering. That's stupid.

I've always thought they should extend the tradewait mentality to individual issues, and mark and market them more as chapters of a story or arc (or run) so it's easy for new readers to pick up an established book and they don't have to resort to relaunches like this. They can still keep the overall numbering because people like that and it makes it easier to order and reference older books, but if they focus on it too much it can become a roadblock for new readers (obviously, since everyone feels the need to relaunch everything all the time).

The original X-men are the most well known X-men? Really?

I said besides Wolverine and Rogue (thanks to the movie), but yes. Of course they are.

Yeah. This is only 1975, after all. :lol:

In 1975 NOBODY cared about the X-Men. There was only one book and it was only reprints and no one read it.

Well, Uncanny X-Men was relaunched in the summer of 1975 with the new team, but yeah, either way it wasn't the original team.

I'd say the best mown X-Men would be the ones from the 90s cartoon & Singer movies: Storm, Wolverine, Beast, Cyclops, Jean, Gambit, Rogue, (probably not Jubilee any more), and maybe Nightcrawler and Iceman.

Last edited:
I said besides Wolverine and Rogue (thanks to the movie), but yes. Of course they are.

In 1975 NOBODY cared about the X-Men. There was only one book and it was only reprints and no one read it.
I just picked a year and ran with it for the joke. Buzz Killington.

:)

But seriously, the original five are more well known than most people think. A friend of mine who reads comics from the public libraries (and whatever books he borrows from me) knows more of the X-Men by the original team (plus Wolverine). One thing he didn't like about X-Men: First Class was that it wasn't the first five in the starting role (as much as I tried to explain why).

Last edited:
I'm sure more people know who Storm, Nightcrawler, and Gambit are then Angel.

I understand trying to bring in movie fans but changing your universe to match the movies that are based off your comics in the first place is annoying.

Ice said:
One thing he didn't like about X-Men: First Class was that it wasn't the first five in the starting role (as much as I tried to explain why).

I would LOVE to see them turn the First Class franchise into a reboot by having Havok and Banshee quit and then bringing Scott, Warren, Jean, and Bobby in to join Hank. That would make me SO happy.

Captain Canuck said:
I would LOVE to see them turn the First Class franchise into a reboot by having Havok and Banshee quit and then bringing Scott, Warren, Jean, and Bobby in to join Hank. That would make me SO happy.

If only....

OPENA & CASSADAY'S MARVEL NOW! CAPTAIN AMERICA DESIGNS REVEALED

1343330167.jpg

Latest posts

Back