Marvel planning 'Guardians of the Galaxy' pic

I hope Cosmo makes a cameo at least.

Drax will be reading this issue in a scene, so that's covered:

cosmo_a_p.jpg

So I just read an article that compared GotG to the Star Wars films, from heroes (the roguish Star Lord to Han Solo), the feisty female lead (Gamora to Leia), the brutish tough guy (Drax to Chewie), the comedic duo (Rocket and Groot to C-3PO and R2-D2); the outer space setting; the story structure/plot (band of heroes and anti-heroes goes on a fantastic quest to save the universe from an all powerful antagonist).

It's also a positive thing that Disney now owns the Star Wars franchise since that'll lessen the derision and comparisons (after all, Disney is making new SW films, so this certainly can't be taken as a studio attempting to rip-off or attempt to replace the sci-fi/fantasy box office king: Star Wars).

But one area where this film will obviously differentiate itself from the Star Wars films is the music. Instead of classify influenced orchestral tracks, in GotG we have Star Lord's mix-tape as the source of most of the film's music (at least in the trailers and likely the film itself, though I imagine there will be some orchestrated score tracks for it as well). It's also interesting in the sense that Star Lord/Peter Quill's Walkman/mix tape serves as the last and only remaining connection to Earth and his childhood, which allows the music to actually play an interesting role in propelling the plot forward and serving as a catalyst for character actions. A bit of a Tarantino effect, I suppose.

Man, I'm really looking forward to this. And the casting, just awesome. Marvel once again perfectly casts with mostly totally unexpected choices for the roles, especially Pratt as Star Lord and Bautista as Drax. And the amazing casting habit also applies to the actors doing voice over and mocap work. After hearing Cooper as Rocket (which I wasn't sure about at first) and Diesel as Groot (which was a perfect fit from the start), this film has so far been perfect in every aspect. I only hope the final product measures up to the hype, but I have a feeling it will. Also, Rocket's crotch adjustment was perfect and it's nice to see Disney isn't messing with Marvel Studios and letting them do their thing.

It's also different because Star Wars is primarily about Luke Skywalker (no matter what Lucas says) and GOTG doesn't have the everyman hero's journey hero character at all.

Was just about to post that. I think it's a good choice. It only says he's voicing the character, though I'd hope (and expect) he's also doing mocap for Thanos. Brolin is a good choice, as he's a great actor capable of delivering the gravitas Thanos deserves, and with some make-up/prosthetics he would look the part quite perfectly. Though it remains to be seen if it'll be a fully CGIed character like Hulk, though I expect it will be.

EDIT:

Apparently Brolin will also play Thanos in next year's Avengers - Age of Ultron. I expect that to likely be a small role, a mid or post credits tease for Avengers 3. Nothing has been confirmed about the plot of villain in Avengers 3, but with the Infinity Stones playing such a large part in the MCU films for the past few years, I think it's a safe bet to presume Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet will be the focus of the third film. And fans have speculated on that since Thanos' surprise appearance at the end of Avengers, of course.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back