Marvel: Your Universe Thread

I'm finding the Marvel U reaaaaaaly hard to get interested in at the moment. I'm reading mostly 'fringe' books like Villains for Hire, Punisher and so on. Also, a lot of their titles I dropped due to the $3.9US cover price (which is considerably more here in Australia), although some of those, such as Defenders, I've been getting digitally.

I have to say though that a big reason for my anti-Marveling at the moment is due to Bendis. Yes, his early Ultimate Spider-Man and New Avengers stuff was good, but I'm just tired of the way he writes. Seeing his name on a book now is a turn off straight away. I hate how he writes every character the same. Jessica Drew does NOT talk like Peter Parker. They both happen to have Spider aliases, that doesn't mean they are the same person. I'd love to read some Avengers, but Bendis and the price is keeping me away. I even dropped Amazing Spidey - my favourite Marvel book at the time - due to the ridiculous cost/ page count combination (although I'll be getting it in trade).

It sucks, but Marvel hasn't really isn't doing it for me since Fear Itself. I really hope that after AvsX things make a turn for the better.

Check out this thread in the General Comics section: The [apparently decreasing] price of comics. (not sure if that link works in the iOS app, though)

I looked for a single all-inclusive complaint thread about Bendis but there doesn't appear to be one. There are a lot of gripes about him and his writing methods scattered all over this site. I wonder if it's worth creating one.

Bendis only writes six characters: insecure hero (Spider-Man), legendary hero (Cap), cynical/hard-ass hero (DD/Wolverine), bumbling thug, evil maniac, and Aunt May.
And they all stutter and speak Yiddish.

In May, there's going to be a collected HC edition of Iceman comics.

Excuse me while I giggle and dance like a school girl.

Marvel's best writers, right now:

1. Jonathan Hickman - a no-brainer based on Fantastic Four and FF. Ultimates is also pretty solid.
  2. Mark Waid - based on Daredevil alone, but his Avengers vs. X-Men Infinite comic was great, too
  3. Ed Brubaker - Captain America is kind of weak right now but Captain America & Bucky has been great. Winter Soldier is also very good.
  4. Dan Slott - overall is doing a great job on Amazing Spider-Man, even though the last arc wasn't anything special.
  5. Jeff Parker - for Red Hulk (or, I guess it's just "Hulk")

Honorable Mention:

• Rick Remender - Uncanny X-Force is mostly great. Venom is also pretty good, aside from the Circle of Hell arc (I think that's what it was called).
  • Matt Fraction - Iron Man is very steady and very solid, even though it's kind of unremarkable. Fear Itself wasn't anything groundbreaking but it was one of the better Marvel events over the last few years. Thor is kind of bland, though.
  • Brian Bendis - Ultimate Spider-Man and Moon Knight are fantastic right now. Pretty much everything else...not so much.

Marvel's had a couple teasers come out

one was Fraction and Aja coming soon!

the other was Gambit August 2012

A Fraction/Aja Gambit ongoing would make me sooooooo happy

but Fraction/Aja anything AND a seperate Gambit Ongoing would be pretty cool too

Mark Brooks posted this teaser on Twitter, saying it's something in the works:

baab2b3c92e911e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg

Did anyone read the first issue of Fury MAX by Garth Ennis & Goran Parlov?

My friend, who owns the local comic shop here, was saying that Marvel will put your picture on a comic cover for Spider-Men, I believe it was, but you have to order around 500 copies of a variant or something like that. Being that my local shop is very small, an order like that is extremely outrages. Only comic shop I can think of that can do that is Midtown Comics in NYC.

Last edited:
From a Newsarama interview Bendis did about Powers, AvX and after:

Nrama: To wrap up, there's obviously been a lot of speculation and guessing — even during this interview — about what you might be doing next after Avengers...

Bendis: I have so much Avengers left to do in the next few months. And yet I'm already working on what I'm doing next, which people don't know about. I'm going to wait until the time has come.

There's been an overwhelmingly very nice wave of niceness headed at me about all the different projects, and if I say it every day it sounds fake, so I don't know when to say how much I appreciate it. People are being very devoted to books that are sometimes very hard to find. So as we wrap up Avengers and I start what will obviously be the next phrase of what I do at Marvel, I just want to thank everybody for their open-mindedness and sometimes patience, and willingness to have fun. Literally every hour someone writes something nice about Miles Morales to me. It's really, really sweet. As we move on to these new projects, which I hope is a continuation at least thematically of what I feel about these superheroes, and superheroes in general, and these characters, I just want to say thanks.

Nrama: When do you think we might hear definitively about your post-Avengers projects?

Bendis: What solicitations just came out?

Nrama: August.

Bendis: August. So... pretty soon. Honestly, pretty soon. It's going to hit solicitations very shortly. Dun dun dun.

Beyond what I'm doing, what's coming at Marvel after Avengers vs. X-Men is, on paper, what Marvel does better than anybody. It's very exciting stuff. I got an Excel sheet of everything, I was looking at it: "That just looks strong as hell. That looks killer." I'm very excited about all of it, and my place in it.

I wrote a list of the books I'm working on, and the people I'm working on it with, and I could not imagine a better situation for myself. I really was like, "Wow, that's amazing;" and it's all shipping at once. We'll talk in a few months and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what this is from? I'm in love with Wanda's outfit.

tumblr_m4lfkfxX8N1qeenqto1_1280.png

Last edited:
It sounds like after Avengers vs. X-Men a whole bunch of creative teams are rotating titles: Bendis will be writing an X-Men comic or two; Remender on Astonishing Avengers; Hickman on another Avengers; Fraction on Fantastic Four; and Gillen on Iron Man.

I don't know if all of those will turn out to be true (though I'm pretty sure the Bendis/X-Men one is) but I think it's probably time for a change. A lot of these writers have been writing a specific comic for years and most of them are getting stale.

It sounds like after Avengers vs. X-Men a whole bunch of creative teams are rotating titles: Bendis will be writing an X-Men comic or two; Remender on Astonishing Avengers; Hickman on another Avengers; Fraction on Fantastic Four; and Gillen on Iron Man.

I don't know if all of those will turn out to be true (though I'm pretty sure the Bendis/X-Men one is) but I think it's probably time for a change. A lot of these writers have been writing a specific comic for years and most of them are getting stale.

I don't really read any X-Men books so it will be nice to get a reprieve from Bendis.

Not sure how I would feel about Matt Fraction on FF. I will really miss Hickman.

Based on his Ultimates run, I'd be reeeeeeally leery of Hickman on Avengers. I like him a lot but Ultimates just hasn't done it for me.

Latest posts

Back