Mass Effect 3

The PS3 version of ME2 runs on this game's engine. Pretty neat. I'm thinking of getting it once it comes out in mid-January. I played a bit of the first, and it seems like a great game to play.

There's a bunch of new info from Game Informer.

The following was copy/pasted from a GameFAQS thread:

Got my new Game Informer, read the ME 3 article. Game starts with Shepard on Earth, effectively on trial in regard to
the events of Arrival,
and in the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade. Prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and off to start finding those allies, fighting Reaper troops (husks of all the different species) the whole way.

Confirmed squadmates: Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if he's alive) and... James Sanders... That must be the guy from the trailer, I don't remember.

Confirmed to appear, but not guaranteed as squaddies: Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson. Obviously, if they live.

The game will by default feature a "previously on Mass Effect" comic to make decisions with if starting from scratch.

The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard. Reason why is unknown at this point.

The RPG elements are being beefed up, not going back to ME 1, but giving more freedom with the character skills. Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering even more freedom. Weapons are ME 2 style, with a set list, but mods make a return, not in the ME 1 style, but allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and its appearance.

All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. Only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once. Probably means Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will be limited to two, and Vanguard and Infiltrator will have three.

Also mentioned: The game will have numerous endings, some good, some bad, and who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit can have a drastic effect on which are available.

That's basically the gist of it, except for the sidebars filled with stuff everyone already knows. Quote: Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing: Confirmed NO MULTIPLAYER. They're talking about future games and/or spinoffs having it, but not this time.

Last edited:
As far as gameplay goes, that sounds about like everything I was hoping for.

Same here. Sounds good so far.

Interesting that the Arrival DLC plays such a big role in shaping the beginning of the ME3 story. I assume since its DLC and only some ME3 players will have downloaded and played Arrival, they'll cover the events of ME1, ME2, and the DLC in the mentioned comic.

I have been playing nothing but Mass Effect 2 for the last few weeks and it is amazing.

I can't wait for this.

My manager got to play a demo at Gamestop's Manager's conference.... *****.

They also got an advance copy of Dead Island and Gears 3.

:( I want a Mass Effect RTS.

That is all.

I was honestly thinking exactly that the other day (after popping in Halo Wars, the Halo-themed RTS from Ensemble Studios...so good), though I was having trouble figuring out units, buildings, etc, mainly because of the vast diversity of alien races, technology, etc.

Still, I really hope Bioware tries that route eventually, the IP just begs for it.

I have been playing nothing but Mass Effect 2 for the last few weeks and it is amazing.

I can't wait for this.

I just beat 2. I can't wait for 3!!

Did you manage to keep all of your squad alive? It can be tough.

Also, most of the DLC for ME2 is pretty mediocre, but Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival are MUST PLAYS before ME3. Lair of the Shadow Broker helps reignite the Liara romance from ME1 (if you went that route), and is just a lot of fun. Arrival acts as a direct prequel to ME3, setting up the arrival of the Reapers. So if you haven't had the chance to play those, do yourself a favor and DO!

Anyway, glad you guys are enjoying the game.

The PS3 version of the game comes with Lair of the Shadow Broker but I don't think it has Arrival.

I was honestly thinking exactly that the other day (after popping in Halo Wars, the Halo-themed RTS from Ensemble Studios...so good), though I was having trouble figuring out units, buildings, etc, mainly because of the vast diversity of alien races, technology, etc.

Still, I really hope Bioware tries that route eventually, the IP just begs for it.

Did you manage to keep all of your squad alive? It can be tough.

Also, most of the DLC for ME2 is pretty mediocre, but Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival are MUST PLAYS before ME3. Lair of the Shadow Broker helps reignite the Liara romance from ME1 (if you went that route), and is just a lot of fun. Arrival acts as a direct prequel to ME3, setting up the arrival of the Reapers. So if you haven't had the chance to play those, do yourself a favor and DO!

Anyway, glad you guys are enjoying the game.

Honestly, I enjoyed Overlord and The Arrival the most. I was literally yelling at the woman
you rescue in The Arrival when she proudly showed off the Reaper relic

It's true. There would be a lot of hurdles to overcome, but I think the series is a perfect fit for an RTS, and the solutions to those problems could ultimately create something addictive and distinct from the present RTS format. ;) Luckily I have all the solutions.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to break it down right now.

Latest posts

Back