Miller/Hitch on Superman

thee great one said:
P.S. Superman could kick the Sentry booty all over the place. :D

I don't say anything when people post after drinking, but I have to draw the line at posting after smoking crack.

I'd love Millar/Hitch on Superman.

Yes, I did just revive this thread just to say that. I just read Red Son and it rocked. Millar rocks. Imagine those two on Superman. I'd piss my pants.

And then do it again.

Never really dug Superman. To cookie-cutter for me. And if we all know he can't take Kryptonite-----how come no one has shot him with Kryptonite laced/filled bullets????

If Miller/Hitch were to do Supes...I'd check it. If nothing else it'd be a solid read.

But on a sidepoint----I don't follow the 616 deal. So whats so special about Sentry??? I read he's the most powerful......but he looks like a Supes knockoff in yellow suit. Anyone care to enlighten me????s

Bass said:
I love Superman. He's Superman, after all. And while I loved Kingdom Come, Azzarello's "For Tomorrow", and Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", I have to say that my favourite Superman books were written by Millar.

"Red Son" is a timeless piece, that transcends the gimmick of Russki Superman into a passionate tale about just what exactly lies on the road to hell.

But to me, it doesn't compare to Millar's Superman Adventures. Not because their ground-breaking, decompressed arcs spanning years (because they're not), but because in 22-pages, Millar could tell a wonderful, fantastic and emotionally engaging story. "How Much Can One Man Hate?" is a beautiful tale of Lex Luthor's sheer relentlessness to utterly destroy Superman. "This Looks Like A Job For Superman" is an issue in which Superman says nothing while saving the world all night long, and still finding time to answer a little boy's prayers to find his lost dog. The "22 Short Stories in a Single Bound" issue had a new mini-story every page, with the issue filled with running gags. There's even one issue where a jock who used to bully Clark Kent goes to Metropolis to prove Clark is Superman because he can't believe that everyone else falls for the glasses. He made Braniac terrifyingly cold. Bizarro surprisingly charismatic. Lex Luthor became a hate-filled monster, and for me, changed the word "Gotcha" for all time.

And, hey, he even put Darkseid in the same issue as old switcheroo gimmick with Jimmy and Superman.

So enjoyable are these issues, they read exactly as Superman should be. Full of life, full of wonder and of excitement.

I almost find it hard to pick between The Ultimates and his Superman works, though I would go with the former. While wildly different, they are amazing reads. Indeed, the only character Millar has demonstrated (repeatedly and consistently) that he has "down" so completely as he does the main cast of the Ultimates, is Superman - and if Milllar and Hitch were to leave the Ultimates for Superman, then I cannot think of a better place for them to go.

That was extremely well put. The key to me is that, bottom line, you still like the basic character and can appreciate when he's well-done, which is rare (get it? well-done? rare?) I'm just worn out by the utter concept of the guy (and that includes Batman) I can't get enthused about the character regardless of the execution.

Then again, I'm also shallow enough to pick up the new Supergirl (horribly written, ominously enough, by Jeph Loeb) because of Ian Churchill's wonderfully inappropriate cheesecake art.

Ricky said:
Or even better yet, imagine Millar on Superman and Ellis on Batman & Green Lantern, all three of them ultimate-style. Awesome!
Millar + JLA = Supreme Power with more vulgar jokes about celebrities and less blood. I'd rather see his talents put to use elsewhere.

Superman solo, yeah, that's fine. Especially if there's a clean slate following IC. But otherwise, i'm relatively lukewarm about the idea.

Last edited:
compound said:
Millar + JLA = Supreme Power with more vulgar jokes about celebrities and less blood. I'd rather see his talents put to use elsewhere.

Superman solo, yeah, that's fine. Especially if there's a clean slate following IC. But otherwise, i'm relatively lukewarm about the idea.
Given what a big bed-wetting Superman doodyhead Millar is, I wouldn't be surprised if his work on the character would be little more than wanky fanboy love.

Imagine: First person narration about heroes and myths a la Chosen, or growing up to be strong a la Wanted, filtered through a reverential take on the entire Superman mythos.

As for Millar on JLA, how risque he'd be allowed to go would depend on DC editorial. And I suspect that Millar wouldn't mind seeing as he's frequently declared a desire to 'creatively limit' himself with kid-friendly material.

Victor Von Doom said:
Never really dug Superman. To cookie-cutter for me. And if we all know he can't take Kryptonite-----how come no one has shot him with Kryptonite laced/filled bullets????
That mad me laugh. Superman can't be cookie-cutter, he is the cookie-cutter. If anything, all superheroes are simply cookie-cutter versions of him, all be it with alterations.

And I can tell you haven't read Superman for a while, as he's always getting shot by Kryptonite bullets. It's Metallo's specialty.

Can a mod change the thread title to it's correct spelling? I don't want Frank Miller on Superman.

All I'm sayin' is less Supes.....and more Shazam (the Shaq genie...not the hero)!!!! :wink:

Last edited:
Entropy said:
You have thirty seconds to start running, then the missiles come.

You think I'm scared of missiles??? My 7 ft tall magic genie will protect me. :lol:

If all else fails......I can get Shaq to slip into that Steel costume of his and save the day.

Anyone thinking Millar can't write Superman needs to read his Superman Adventures issues. They didn't sell well - but they're the best Superman stories I've ever read.

I'm hoping All-Star Superman is as good.

I can see it now.

Adventures of Superman 2 #6

"Burn Krypton Burn"

As Jimmy fights his cocaine addiction, Lois must become a prostitute in Suicide Slum in order to pay back the debt she owes to Lex. Meanwhile, Clark is still on a rampage after beating Lana, and only the Justices can bring him in.

Bass said:
Anyone thinking Millar can't write Superman needs to read his Superman Adventures issues. They didn't sell well - but they're the best Superman stories I've ever read.
This much is true.

Doc Comic said:
I can see it now.

Adventures of Superman 2 #6

"Burn Krypton Burn"

As Jimmy fights his cocaine addiction, Lois must become a prostitute in Suicide Slum in order to pay back the debt she owes to Lex. Meanwhile, Clark is still on a rampage after beating Lana, and only the Justices can bring him in.
You know, I'd buy that just for novelties sake.

Latest posts

Back