Mixed Reviews

Basically because of the fact that it destroyed a key player in the Ultimate universe continuity-wise.

If you took the story as an "Ulimate What-If" miniseries---then it'd be an ok book and interesting take on Tony Stark.

But by taking an alocholic billionaire genius in a metal suit, and turning him into a giant walking brain....it takes away the appealing human factor that Stark has.

The only way to streamline Card's Iron Man with Millar's current Iron Man is to retcon the differences into an obviously forced second mini. But once it's understood that the mini is forced and merely a retcon story...almost all likability is removed and basically makes the story stupid.

Oh yeah.....welcome.

Hey, I was reading the old threads and noticed you all seem to agree that Ultimate Iron Man was a terrible comic. Why?
Oh God Bless you sir! GOD BLESS US EVERYONE!!!

I've waited for so long to say the following...

NANOMONKEYS!!!​
Basically because of the fact that it destroyed a key player in the Ultimate universe continuity-wise.

If you took the story as an "Ulimate What-If" miniseries---then it'd be an ok book and interesting take on Tony Stark.

But by taking an alocholic billionaire genius in a metal suit, and turning him into a giant walking brain....it takes away the appealing human factor that Stark has.

The only way to streamline Card's Iron Man with Millar's current Iron Man is to retcon the differences into an obviously forced second mini. But once it's understood that the mini is forced and merely a retcon story...almost all likability is removed and basically makes the story stupid.

Oh yeah.....welcome.
That too. The plot was contrived, stupid and unnecessary. Bad times.

I definitely see your point yet I thought it humanized him more than anything.
It was a new take on the character that was completely different than the 616 version.
I never read anything by Card before this but it became one of my favorite one-shots.
It explained his near genius intellect but also gave him a new power... REGENERATION.
It made me appreciate Iron Man so much more.

P.S. Where were there Nanomonkeys?

Last edited:
Iron Man doesn't need powers. The thing that makes him special is that he's just a guy in a robot suit, trying to be a superhero like all the other mutants and stuff. When you give him a power, he loses his originality and becomes just another super powered guy.

It's like giving Batman wings. You just don't do it.

Want a good Iron Man story? Warren Ellis and Adi Granov's first 6 issues on Invincible Iron Man. It's called "Extremis" and if they wanted to improve Iron Man, then they should have made this the Ultimate Iron Man mini.

Anyway, welcome to UC!

It was a new take on the character that was completely different than the 616 version.
That's fine except he was already established in the UU, in both ultimates and ultimate team up

It explained his near genius intellect but also gave him a new power... REGENERATION.

That doesnt need to be explain, he doesnt need to be able to regenerate its a completely 180 on Iron man's core concept, is a very stupid way

I definitely see your point yet I thought it humanized him more than anything.
616 Iron Man is (or was before the villification of Civil War) a very flawed smart guy with a suit trying to help people.

Now he's a superhuman walking brain with regenerative powers that he recieved from monkey blood in the womb.

He's gone from drinking because he was a rich guy with a problem, to drinking to dull the pain of his brainbody. I can't believe I just typed that sentence. So dumb.

In what way is he more human now.
You say that like it's a good thing. If Spider-man got his powers because his mom had sex with a spider would you like the originality of that?
I never read anything by Card before this but it became one of my favorite one-shots.
Again, you say that like it's a good thing. Giving him powers takes away from his character. It's subtraction through addition.
It made me appreciate Iron Man so much more.
To each their own.
P.S. Where were there Nanomonkeys?
Nanomonkeys is a word made up (by Hellsbuttmonkey if I remember right) to mock the series ridiculous plot of monkey obtained powers.

Want a good Iron Man story? Warren Ellis and Adi Granov's first 6 issues on Invincible Iron Man. It's called "Extremis" and if they wanted to improve Iron Man, then they should have made this the Ultimate Iron Man mini.

Other have said it before....but Proj said it here.

Extremis is THE ultimate Iron Man story. Ultimate Iron Man was just fine as is....but if they were gonna do anything with him---the yshould have used Extremis. It's just that great.

Iron Man doesn't need powers. The thing that makes him special is that he's just a guy in a robot suit, trying to be a superhero like all the other mutants and stuff. When you give him a power, he loses his originality and becomes just another super powered guy.
I have no problem with Iron Man having some powers, like say the Extremis enhancement that has made him a walking Blackberry.

But what he DOESN'T need is a superhuman explanation for being super-smart.

Well i enjoyed it. Tony Stark is not an average man.
He is a super-genius that hypothetically built his own powers.
All because he is different from the 616 doesn't make him worse.
I'll just have to agree to disagre.

P.S. Jim Rhodes was awesome.

Other have said it before....but Proj said it here.

Extremis is THE ultimate Iron Man story. Ultimate Iron Man was just fine as is....but if they were gonna do anything with him---the yshould have used Extremis. It's just that great.

Even tough Extremis came out after UIM it sounds awesome.
I want to pick it up.

Nanomonkeys is a word made up (by Hellsbuttmonkey if I remember right) to mock the series ridiculous plot of monkey obtained powers.

Yup, thats my line! hehe! They can also be applied to any stupid plot to give powers or anything... for example the recent birth of Doctor Octomagnetopus could be attributed to nanomonkeys giving Ock the power to control metal.

Oh how I love it when new people turn up and ask why we all hate UIM...
My reasons are pretty much the same as most of the others on the topic. It ruins the core concept of the character by taking away his humanity. He is no longer an ordinary, albeit very smart, human who built himself a robot suit. He is now a giant walking brain, created by the blood of rage infected monkeys (or was that 28 days later.... ok mutant rabid monkeys).
Its like saying Peter Parker built himself a robot spidersuit to give him his powers. Thats not Spiderman. Fair enough in the Ultimate version they changed it from radiation to genetic manipulation, but the conecpt was the same. A scientific accident gives a boy spiderlike abilities.

I have one other thing to say on this topic, and I know McCheese will back me up..

NANOMONKEYS!!!​

Man, I really wish I logged on sooner. I really wanted to go through why I hate Ultimate Iron man...again. Seems like McCheese, Project and HellsButt already took care of that.

This should probably be merged with the Ultimate Iron Man thread.

I read the entire mini when it cam eou tin hardcover at the bookstore, some of it was good, like
  • The entire first issue
  • The way he was composed of all the great genes, and his enemy had all the 'evil' genes
  • I found his father to be an intriguing character, giving up everything for his son

But, it all went downhill when he was granted monkey powers of regeneration and super brains. Not even a species with super brains or regeneration. He should have gone with lizards, at least that would have made more sense.

Hey, I was reading the old threads and noticed you all seem to agree that Ultimate Iron Man was a terrible comic. Why?

Welcome.

Proj said it best - Tony Stark is a great character because he doesn't have any super powers. He's just really smart. Changing that fundamental part of the character ruins the character. He's just smart. No reason. What's next - making Reed Richards's intelligence a "power".

The series started out on a good note - the first issue was good. But it went bad very quickly.

Latest posts

Back