Avengers New Avengers: Secret Invasion discussion (#38-47; spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
Just picked up #38 today. Loved it.

Jessica Jones is at the Watchtower and seems very content - maybe too content for someone that basically just dumped her husband. Luke is looking for her and eventually calls her. They yell at each other (great dialogue) - Luke standing up for his principles, Jess telling him how stupid that is with a baby's life in your care. He runs over to the tower and she meets him outside and they continue yelling. Jess has a great line - Luke smashes the phone and Jarvis asks her if he hung up, and what would happen next. She says "Trash your lobby."

They get right back into it and Carol comes down and prevents him from being arrested...I can't really tell if she is trying to convince him that he is thinking of switching sides, or if he really is. I guess he is because at the end it shows the classic Bendis "struggling with his thoughts" scene.

Meanwhile Danny Rand gets the New Avengers into a new base - an apartment building that was taken over from The Leader and is owned by one of Danny's companies. No Strange magic anymore, no servant to wash dishes, etc.

4+/5. Good beginning. I like how Bendis resets things like this every few issues - it really gets the point across of what a struggle it is for this team to exist.

Re: New Avengers: Secret Invasion discussion (#38+; spoilers)

Echo knows what people say without reading lips = Skrull
Danny Rand should be busy in his own comic = Skrull
Wonderman... well he is expendable = Skrull

That is all.

Oh, and the issue didn't do much to me standalone but as a part of Secret Invasion/Infiltration it was good.

Last edited:

In the annual (maybe #38), Echo asked Clint what Pete said, because he was wearing the mask, I'm not sure about her skrull-ness but she is certainly the top pick

Still Bendis's best book.

4/5

Echo knows what people say without reading lips = Skrull
Danny Rand should be busy in his own comic = Skrull
Wonderman... well he is expendable = Skrull

That is all.

Oh, and the issue didn't do much to me standalone but as a part of Secret Invasion/Infiltration it was good.

Didn't she ask what spiedy said in the annual tough?

i guess she could be a skrull....but maybe the artist forgets.

Last edited:

The skrulls tried to replace Echo...

I liked a issue focusing on her and Wolverine trying to help her, but the Skrull thing is already boring.

Just picked up #38 today. Loved it.

Jessica Jones is at the Watchtower and seems very content - maybe too content for someone that basically just dumped her husband. Luke is looking for her and eventually calls her. They yell at each other (great dialogue) - Luke standing up for his principles, Jess telling him how stupid that is with a baby's life in your care. He runs over to the tower and she meets him outside and they continue yelling. Jess has a great line - Luke smashes the phone and Jarvis asks her if he hung up, and what would happen next. She says "Trash your lobby."

They get right back into it and Carol comes down and prevents him from being arrested...I can't really tell if she is trying to convince him that he is thinking of switching sides, or if he really is. I guess he is because at the end it shows the classic Bendis "struggling with his thoughts" scene.

Meanwhile Danny Rand gets the New Avengers into a new base - an apartment building that was taken over from The Leader and is owned by one of Danny's companies. No Strange magic anymore, no servant to wash dishes, etc.

4+/5. Good beginning. I like how Bendis resets things like this every few issues - it really gets the point across of what a struggle it is for this team to exist.

Everything E said.

Too bad I wasn't really fond of #39. I know he needed a single transition issue into Invasion, but this one felt off. From Wolverine and Maya's interaction, to the fact that apparently Skrulls now have every superpower in Marvel history, to Maya and Danny hooking up (even though he's supposed to be dating Misty Knight).

Not a fan of this issue at all.

Here's to hoping that his New Avengers tie-in with Secret Invasion is awesome.

Everything E said.

Too bad I wasn't really fond of #39. I know he needed a single transition issue into Invasion, but this one felt off. From Wolverine and Maya's interaction, to the fact that apparently Skrulls now have every superpower in Marvel history, to Maya and Danny hooking up (even though he's supposed to be dating Misty Knight).

Not a fan of this issue at all.

Here's to hoping that his New Avengers tie-in with Secret Invasion is awesome.

Um. Actually that was Maya and Clint hooking up. I think it was pretty clear with the whole talk about the classic Avengers.

So does Invaders/Avengers tie in to the Invasion sotry or is it separate?

So does Invaders/Avengers tie in to the Invasion sotry or is it separate?

I'm hoping Invaders/Avengers will be pretty stand alone and self-contained.

Even if it does occour in full 616 continuity, I'm thinking the only thing it might tie itself to would be Brubaker's Captain America (since Alex Ross is acting as consultant on that series).

The latest issue basically just reveals more of the Skrull history and more of their plan. They chose Elektra because she is shrouded in mystery so it wouldn't be easy to detect her anyway.

The big reveal of the issue is that the Queen is going to disguise herself as... Spider-Woman! This is particularly interesting, considering the latest issue of Mighty Avengers.

Bendis is really in top form lately.

One thing they did is give an "explanation" behind the whole "He Loves You" phrase from Secret Invasion.

This issue actually picks up where his New Avengers: Illuminati - Skrull War issue left off. The Skrull King is sitting on his throne, seething in hate. His daughter speaks up about the prophecies and how he continues to ignore them. She sparks a mini-rebellion that is quickly quelched. He calls her a traitor and she is then dropped off in some barren mountain wasteland. As the transport ship flies away she just keeps repeating "He loves you, he loves you, he loves you...".

Then a few years later, Galactus destroys the King and his empire. Then the issue picks up where the first couple pages of Secret Invasion left off. We see the remaining empire seek out the Princess (now a Queen since her father is dead) and vow to follow her rule. She then orchestrates the invasion based on the information her scientists and priests present her based on the info the sucked from The Illuminati.

This latest issue basically gives some backstory to his Secret Invasion mini. Like Proj said, the big reveal is that Spider-Woman may be the Skrull Queen.

Where did she mention that she was his daughter? i thought she was merely a priest.

It was pieced together from the fact that he is a king....and she is a princess (who is normally a daughter of a king).

Plus there's the whole "He loves me" thing. Sounds like something a daughter would ramble about after she's been "betrayed" by her father.

It was pieced together from the fact that he is a king....and she is a princess (who is normally a daughter of a king).

Plus there's the whole "He loves me" thing. Sounds like something a daughter would ramble about after she's been "betrayed" by her father.

Yeah, but then only daughter he had was Hulklings mom and she died when Galactus showed up.

You could be right but the ''He loves me'' thing sounds like what they say to their god.

The probably with this, while 40 was a very good issue, is that is was too important to the main story.

And it's a tie-in. This should of been somewhere in the main chunk of story.

Mighty Avengers might be the same.

Why would Spider-Woman do the most damage?

I'm also sick of New Avengers becoming nothing but a tie-in book.

Latest posts

Back