new to ultimate X-men.

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
19,091
Location
UK
I'm new to the ultimate comics as i've not read anything unless it was in ultimate spider-man. I desided that i would get another Ultimate series. So on ebay last night i bought the tpbs of ultimate x-men 1+2.

When they get here i will post what i think here.

I actually gave it much thought as to which series i wanted. First i thought FF beacuse its not been out as long ( i think) then i thought ultimates as alot of people on here like it. finally i desided

-I like wolverine he would be in my top 5 marvel characterds

-X-men seems like the one with most drama.

-X-men crossed over with ultimate spidey a few times (plus i read about the kittie thing on here as i'm only up to silver sabel arc not seen that happen yet.) so i figured i might miss some spidey stuff or it wouuld improve any cross overs at least.
 

PuertoRock33

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
169
Location
L.A
Ultimate X-Men is great. I really like it. You'll be surprised at all the little twist in it. I got into it the same way. I wanted to read some Ultimate titles but i went on ebay and bought some almost full runs of Ultimate X-Men and Spiderman(still need X-men 1 & Spiderman 1-7 ). Overall i really enjoy them both. Wolverine does someing very "interesting" in this series. Im getting into the Ultimates next.
 

Ultimate Cap 4 President

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2006
Messages
67
Location
Baltimore
sjmole said:
I'm new to the ultimate comics as i've not read anything unless it was in ultimate spider-man. I desided that i would get another Ultimate series. So on ebay last night i bought the tpbs of ultimate x-men 1+2.

When they get here i will post what i think here.

I actually gave it much thought as to which series i wanted. First i thought FF beacuse its not been out as long ( i think) then i thought ultimates as alot of people on here like it. finally i desided

-I like wolverine he would be in my top 5 marvel characterds

-X-men seems like the one with most drama.

-X-men crossed over with ultimate spidey a few times (plus i read about the kittie thing on here as i'm only up to silver sabel arc not seen that happen yet.) so i figured i might miss some spidey stuff or it wouuld improve any cross overs at least.

If youre buying the first and second TPB volumes of Ult. X-Men I have a feeling you'll enjoy them... Those are the first Ultimate Books i got started with... Millar is a genius... after his run though the Books arent as good but Brian K. Vaughn has held his ground as of now. Good books those Ultimate X-Men have.. good books.
 

Foolsfolly

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
1,137
After you read all of Millar's run on Ultimate X-Men, you really should check out Ultimates. That's the comic book lover's comic book. It's everything you want in a good comic.

And the delays work well with new people to the series. It gives you MORE THAN ENOUGH time to catch up.

Ultimate X-Men:

Millar- Great.
Bendis- Meh.
Vaughan- Great.
Kirkman- On Going, but so far it's a little off.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
I thought Millar's run was too over-the-top. Look at how Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-Man started - modernized origins, very much down-to-earth. UXM isn't like that. It starts off with Sentinels flying around killing mutants - too much.
 

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
10,075
Location
New York, NY
Kirkman's arc started as a filler arc and it reads like it, but once he gets his footing right, I imagine we'll be seeing some good reading right there.
 

Ultimate Cap 4 President

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2006
Messages
67
Location
Baltimore
E said:
I thought Millar's run was too over-the-top. Look at how Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-Man started - modernized origins, very much down-to-earth. UXM isn't like that. It starts off with Sentinels flying around killing mutants - too much.

Nah it wasnt that over the top if you think about it. People just hate what they fear. The X-Mens Origins are just as modernized as the Ultimates and Ultimate Spiderman. And you mean to tell me if mutants became real in the
21st century that people wouldnt fear and hate them? There would be sentinels flying out the *** in the US if mutants were real. Millar did a great job on the book.
 
Last edited:

PuertoRock33

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
169
Location
L.A
E said:
I thought Millar's run was too over-the-top. Look at how Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-Man started - modernized origins, very much down-to-earth. UXM isn't like that. It starts off with Sentinels flying around killing mutants - too much.


I actually liked the way it started. It gave the title good shock value right off the bat. Then it introduced the characters and we got their backgrounds which I thought went well the the whole flow of the first couple issues.
 

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
19,091
Location
UK
E said:
I thought Millar's run was too over-the-top. Look at how Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-Man started - modernized origins, very much down-to-earth. UXM isn't like that. It starts off with Sentinels flying around killing mutants - too much.


like the 90s cartoon started?
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
UXM is alright, but you should have got the Ultimates. It's only three trades, and it's one of the best stories you'll ever read.
 

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
19,091
Location
UK
ProjectX2 said:
UXM is alright, but you should have got the Ultimates. It's only three trades, and it's one of the best stories you'll ever read.


I honestly was thinking about gettig that but I thought i hate the art and stuff on ultimate six arc of ultimate spider-man wouldn't this be same?


but i might by the ultimates 1 + 2 sometime
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
sjmole said:
I honestly was thinking about gettig that but I thought i hate the art and stuff on ultimate six arc of ultimate spider-man wouldn't this be same?


but i might by the ultimates 1 + 2 sometime

No. Hairsine and Hitch are similar, but they have completely different styles.
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
To read anything in the UU and not have Ultimates on the list is just wrong.

If you wanna get into UXM---fine. But you NEED to be reading Ultimates.
 

Thor

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
563
Location
Garland Texas
Victor Von Doom said:
To read anything in the UU and not have Ultimates on the list is just wrong.

If you wanna get into UXM---fine. But you NEED to be reading Ultimates.
I agree with VVD.


That was a hard thing to say :D.
 

Gemini

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
7,250
Location
Kelowna, B.C, Canada
sjmole said:
I'm new to the ultimate comics as i've not read anything unless it was in ultimate spider-man. I desided that i would get another Ultimate series. So on ebay last night i bought the tpbs of ultimate x-men 1+2.
you should get the ultimate x-men collection it has vol.'s 1 & 2, the first gambit arc (my fav. UXM arc austen knocked it out of the park on that one) and UXM 1/2 it's a great value


you know how some stores like barnes & noble have that giant hardcover for USM (which covers vol's 1-6 and USM 1/2) they should make more of those

bendis and vaughn's stuff were fantastic (especially with finch :shock: )
 

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
19,091
Location
UK
Maybe but i've never been a fan of the avengers also. i started with ultimate spider-man as imo the spider-man comics are best superhero ones. I like his villans. I like the fact he has real teenage problems (at least in ultimate universe) next was x-men as i like wolverine and x-men + evolution cartoons and the movies of it plus the reasons i stated above.

if i get another ultimate series it will most likely be ultimate team up first to get the whole ultimate spider-man story then ultimates as maybe that will get me to lie ultimate six more.



One question to everyone thou. how big a part does the mutant from ultimate spider-man play in x-men?. I forget his name it was gandolph or something like that
 

Gemini

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
7,250
Location
Kelowna, B.C, Canada
sjmole said:
One question to everyone thou. how big a part does the mutant from ultimate spider-man play in x-men?. I forget his name it was gandolph or something like that
gehldoff makes absolutely no appearence in UXM what so ever it's like he fell of the face of the earth
 

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
19,091
Location
UK
gemini-mk said:
gehldoff makes absolutely no appearence in UXM what so ever it's like he fell of the face of the earth


that kind of sucks.

yes he sucked BIG TIME imo but i still felt if he was in ultimate x-men he might of gotten more character development and became a cool character.
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
sjmole said:
that kind of sucks.

yes he sucked BIG TIME imo but i still felt if he was in ultimate x-men he might of gotten more character development and became a cool character.


You are now even deader to me. Too not read Ultimates is a crime. But this.......this......... :sick:
 

Latest posts

Top