Newsarama shows preliminary Ultimate Galactus designs in Quesada interview

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
[IMGL]http://ultimatecentral.com/images/galactusprelim01.jpg[/IMGL] This week in Joe Friday's: Week 15, Newsarama interviews Joe Quesada on the Ultimate line. Also available seems character art of "Gah Lak Tus Prelim".

Keeping with the theme of the week, as announced on Monday, this week's installment of our regular, weekly Joe Fridays interview will be an Ultimate one – and mostly made up of reader questions to boot.

To handle the questions, we asked Joe to channel his own Ultimate Marvel Universe counterpart, and apparently, the Ultimate Joe Quesada plows through questions like no one's business. We stopped counting at somewhere around 40…but there may just be more.

Of course, for Quesada's views on the Ultimate Universe to come, don't forget to check back on Newsarama's coverage of the Ultimate Marvel panel at WizardWorld: Chicago, where he kind of explained the ideas behind "The Gold Standard"

Oh – and as for who that guy on the front page is…keep reading…

Newsarama: So Joe, from your chair, what did the Ultimate line do for Marvel over the past five years? Were there doors that wouldn't have been opened? Growth that wouldn't have been realized?

Joe Quesada: I think that growth is the most important factor. Ultimates added a fresh face and side to Marvel and comics that was sorely needed and it brought in much needed readership. I also think it got lapse fans interested in comics again, especially those who couldn't bear the weight of years of continuity.

NRAMA: For you, what has the highlight of the last five years of the Ultimate line been?

JQ: Wow, that one is tough. I think the greatest highlight would have to be the launch and the way it truly surprised people because there were so many that said it couldn't be done. Looking forward, 2006 is probably going to be the biggest highlight year with all the great projects we have coming out and with Bendis and Bagley breaking the Lee/Kirby record barring any huge mishaps.

NRAMA: Larger picture, do you think the Ultimate line has had an effect on the industry itself outside of Marvel? How so?

JQ: I believe so. First, it's become a force to contend with. When publishers look at ways to try to beat Marvel in rankings and sales they look over at a pretty formidable force that is the Marvel Universe, with New Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men and the like and that's a pretty large obstacle to go toe to toe against. But then, you look over and there's this monolith called the Ultimate Universe that you have to contend with. It makes for a pretty powerful publishing line up.

Read more by clicking on the link above.

Last edited:
the return of ultimate gwen stacy?

NRAMA: From "Zypster X": What is your opinion on Ultimate Gwen Stacy? Did you like the interpretation of the character? Were you happy with the way she bit the dust?

JQ: Ultimate Gwen was interesting, if I'm not mistaken, Brian's not finished with the concept of Ultimate Gwen just yet.

The hope will live on in MWF's heart:

NRAMA: Is there any character that, in your eyes, just shouldn't have an Ultimate counterpart?

JQ: Personally I've always felt the Daredevil isn't a good candidate though he can exist in the Ultimate Universe. As a character DD's design is pretty perfect and I couldn't think of any modern upgrades that would make him any better? But there is no spoon so who knows, perhaps someday someone actually has an interesting twist that we just haven't imagine.

A-HA! I TOLD YA!

NRAMA: Ultimate Nick Fury – first he was white, and then black. What the hell?

JQ: Whoops

who told who wha?

Anyway, Great interview, Ice. Some interesting and disturbing things in there... Ultimate Gwen Stacey not done yet? Sorry... not too thrilled with this...

I can see how the sketch of Galactus turns into those things but I'm still intrigued by "what" Gah Lak Tus is....

Ultimate Daredevil... *sigh*

Yes... Gah Lak Tus is some kind of robot bug swarm. :D

Ok interview. The Gah Lak Tus design reminds me of the Sentinels from the Matrix movies. It kinda looks cool but I'm not sure how onboard I am with it. Hopefully Ellis makes it interesting.

. . .

I'm suddenly longing for a guy in a big purple helmet.

I' mean, COME ON. ROBOT BUGS!? :roll:

Ways to Get Rid of Gah-Lak-Tus:

1) Switch the lights on.
2) Magnifying glass.
3) Giant Shoe.
4) Pesticide.
5) Will Smith and Tommy lee Jones.

****, I'd be more scared of a giant bug swarm than a big purple guy.

****, I'd be more scared of a giant bug swarm than a big purple guy.

I'm not afraid of things I can kill with EMP.

The ONLY way I'll enjoy this now, is if there are ORGANIC giant bugs under the metal. Then, I'll be, at least, marginally content.

I love the design for those Gah lak Tus thingies. Kinda Starship Troopery. I wonder if that's all there is to it, or if there's something controlling them. In other words, is Gah Lak Tus a shared consciousness of all these little things, or are they merely his 'heralds'?

And as for Gwen.....hmmm. I'll wait and see what Bendis does with this, but I'm dubious.

Also, when was Ultimate Nick Fury ever white? Have I missed something huge here? As far as I remember, his earliest appearences were UMTU and UXM, in both of which he was black.

icemastertron said:
You DO know this bug is a GIAAAAAAAAAAAAANT right?

cmon i did say a Giant show......waita minute the Ultimate Nullifier is a Giant shoe how could we not see this before......Hank Pym uses his shoe on GAH-LAK-TUS.

Giant Robotic Bug my arse. I was hoping for something scary like the antichrist, something unfathomable, i understand giant robotic bugs, i understand that they suck.

Comon, how to get rid of Gah Lak Tus?

That's -EASY!-

get it infected with a virus! :wink:

yeah, I'm a little put off on the Gah Lak Tus design, but then again its only a preliminary sketch, so the final result could end up being substantially different. It all depends on how Ellis and Peterson present and use the character which will decide whether it lives up to its 616 counterpart or not.

I cannot understand the hate towards the Gah Lak Tus thingies! Come on, would you honestly prefer a big purple dude in a cheesy 60's getup? I don't want Gah Lak Tus to be anything remotely human, not even to have a personality in fact. It's a hundred times scarier to be attacked by something mindless, something that is simply following it's instincts.

Similar to how the Chitauri described themselves as an antibody, I think Gah Lak Tus should be a cancer. Ok, so maybe they're robotic, which is a bit dissapointing, but I still think they're a wonderful idea, and a really creepy idea.

Looks like I'll be the only UC member picking this one up and actually enjoying it then.

And what's with all this Nick Fury nonsense?!?

icemastertron said:
Hey DB-

NRAMA: Ultimate Nick Fury – first he was white, and then black. What the hell?

JQ: Whoops.

:wink:

Sorry, just not seeing it. I admit he was definitly colored lighter in some of his earlier appearances than in the Ultimates, but he was definitly black. I'm sorry, but the only white person with a nose that wide is me. He has the features of your average black man, and he had the skin tone (whether it differed from title to title or not). Ultimate Nick Fury is definitly NOT caucasian. If you want a cracker-*** Fury, read 616!!

Those Galactus designs were nasty. Thankfully they've been rejected for something a little better.

Not saying I'd prefer the big purple guy, but luckily we don't have to make that choice. 60's bad design or 90's bad design? hmmm

Gwen Stacy? Man, he's gonna clone her isn't he. Carnage has her DNA, will build a new one. Or maybe carnage is living his life somewhere as Gwen. Who knows, or indeed cares?

DIrishB said:
Sorry, just not seeing it. I admit he was definitly colored lighter in some of his earlier appearances than in the Ultimates, but he was definitly black. I'm sorry, but the only white person with a nose that wide is me. He has the features of your average black man, and he had the skin tone (whether it differed from title to title or not). Ultimate Nick Fury is definitly NOT caucasian. If you want a cracker-*** Fury, read 616!!

I thought he was Indian before.

Latest posts

Back