Nintendo 3DS

Re: Nintendo DS

Yikes. Too expensive.

That's like $80 per hour of battery use.

Yeah, I'll wait for the thinner, lighter, cheaper revision with improved battery life. Should be coming out about the same time next year.

What cracks me up, are the fans and blogs praising the 3DS for being affordable, but when the PSPGo came out for the same price, they screamed about the price.

Reserved Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition! Comes out March 31st.

that boggles my mind. it's a 2.5D fighter, there's no benefit to a 3D version. I can understand 3D in racing games, or even sports games, but it makes no sense for a side scrolling fighter. It'd be like making Super Mario Brothers 3 or Sonic the Hedgehog in 3D.

I'm curious how it will look exactly myself, since until it's actually played in person, you can't really see how the 3D works.

Still, EXCITED! :rockon:

Yeah, going to wait for a price drop, since most of the first year titles are just remakes of games on better consoles.

that boggles my mind. it's a 2.5D fighter, there's no benefit to a 3D version. I can understand 3D in racing games, or even sports games, but it makes no sense for a side scrolling fighter. It'd be like making Super Mario Brothers 3 or Sonic the Hedgehog in 3D.

Have you played Super Paper Mario?

Have you played Super Paper Mario?

yes, one of my favorite games but, that's not even remotely a correct analogy. Now, with that said, I'll probably be suckered into a 3DS when SPM comes out.

Back to the game at hand, SSF4 is a 2D scroller (vertical/horizontal), it's not going to gain any real benefit being 3D. Most all the 30 or so games this year for the 3DS are just remakes of old games like Snake Eater, SSF4, etc.

yes, one of my favorite games but, that's not even remotely a correct analogy.

Well, SURE it is. Don't try to apply it in a literal sense, think more abstractly - they did exactly what you said; took a side-scrolling game and made it 3D. Sure the application is different but fundamentally it's the same idea. And it worked.

Same for Super Mario 64, really.

Finally, the U.S. launch title list revealed:

• Pilotwings Resort
  • Steel Diver
  • Nintendogs + Cats
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
  • The Sims 3
  • Madden NFL Football
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
  • LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  • RIDGE RACER 3D
  • Super Monkey Ball 3D
  • BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE
  • SAMURAI WARRIORS: Chronicles
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
  • Rayman 3D
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

The only game I'm interested in is Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, which I already have pre-ordered on Amazon. Disappointing list, IMO.

Also, Gamestop is doing a trade in for DSi's towards the 3DS, where the price would be lowered to $179.99 (or 175, close enough). Will be seeing if they accept my DSi as it is only worn out a bit in the corners.

So now I've gone to Game Stop and put a pre-order there for the 3DS (canceling the one with Amazon) since trading in the DSi brings the price down $75 (from $250 to $175). And that price plus tax is better than $250 with none.

Finally, the U.S. launch title list revealed:

• Pilotwings Resort
  • Steel Diver
  • Nintendogs + Cats
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
  • The Sims 3
  • Madden NFL Football
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
  • LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  • RIDGE RACER 3D
  • Super Monkey Ball 3D
  • BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE
  • SAMURAI WARRIORS: Chronicles
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
  • Rayman 3D
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

The only game I'm interested in is Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, which I already have pre-ordered on Amazon. Disappointing list, IMO.

Also, Gamestop is doing a trade in for DSi's towards the 3DS, where the price would be lowered to $179.99 (or 175, close enough). Will be seeing if they accept my DSi as it is only worn out a bit in the corners.

That is sort of a disappointing list...there's not a game on there I'd bother with personally, though Street Fighter IV on 3DS sounds like fun.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Assassin's Creed game (Lost Legacy) thats supposed to come out for the 3DS, and the Resident Evil game (whose subtitle I forgot).

That is sort of a disappointing list...there's not a game on there I'd bother with personally, though Street Fighter IV on 3DS sounds like fun.
I know. Nintendo wanted more focus on Third Party games, which is fine, but the games aren't anything that really makes them worth getting, except SSF4.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Assassin's Creed game (Lost Legacy) thats supposed to come out for the 3DS, and the Resident Evil game (whose subtitle I forgot).
There's RE: Mercenaries, combining the Mercenary games from RE 4 & 5, and RE: Revelations, which if I'm remembering correctly takes place before RE5. This is the story-based one.

News from GDC!

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata just took the stage at the Games Developer Conference to deliver a host of a new and exciting news for Nintendo fans everywhere during his keynote titled "Video Games Turn 25: A Historical Perspective and Vision for the Future".

Satoru Iwata announced that Netflix is on its way to the Nintendo 3DS with a wide range of streaming movies. Users will be able to watch video's in high quality using the 3DS' higher-resolution top screen starting sometime this summer.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime later joined the stage and reiterated that Nintendo 3DS users will eventually be able to record 3D video's using the Nintendo 3DS via a firmware update which will be available at a later date.

Reggie Fils-Aime also announced that Nintendo are teaming up with AT&T to deliver free downloadable game content and demos, and that AT&T will provide more than 10,000 Wi-Fi hotspots.

The Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo will not only play host to classic Gameboy and Gameboy Colour titles but will also play host to Gamegear and Turbo Turbografx games.

Nintendo 3DS users will also be able to download 3D classics, which are updates of older Nintendo games with 3D effects. I'd imagine more information on these games will be revealed at E3 in June.

The highly anticipated 3D remake of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS will be released in June according to Satoru Iwata. Not too sure if that's a worldwide release date just yet.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata also took the time to show off a new trailer for the highly anticipated Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. The footage itself showed that the game really takes advantage of Nintendo's Wii MotionPlus peripheral.

Last and not least, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata showed off the next Mario title for the Nintendo 3DS. The game itself is a 3D platformer and is currently being developed by the Super Mario Galaxy team. More information at E3 in June.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back