Spider-Man One More Day: A Confession

Re: Invincible Iron Man discussion (Spoilers!)

Just because the mechanics of the story work out doesn't mean the plot works..... every facet of the devices they "don't have to explain" could be laid out in full and it would still be an awful, plot hole-crippled story, because Peter and MJ making the decision they did, as reasonable people, is a plot hole in itself, akin to a character suddenly decided to shoot himself in the head. The parts of the gun might work realistically, but it's still a plot hole.

Random mentioned her whispering something to Mephisto (and for what it's worth, I believe it has been established that he is not *the* Devil), but as far as I know it has not yet been revealed what that is.
It's said that he isn't but he's written as if he was. And I just think Spider-man making a deal with the devil is just the most retarded thing ever

It's not just the story, but the reason they did it, the articles explaining there action, & the 8 other things they changed.

It was complete and utter garbage all around.

Last edited:
I will always stick to that as a story, I loved it. It was a great read (with flaws, yes) with fantastic art, and overall enjoyable.

But that's just it. Only for "as a story."

I will always hate the fact that it's in continuity, that it broke up MJ/Peter because the editorial staff (re: Quesada & Brevoort mostly) want to tell stories with a single Parker since they believe they can't do it with a married one.

The irony of that is that the stories we're getting now could've been told with a married Peter (with the exception of Jan.'s dating issue).

The irony of that is that the stories we're getting now could've been told with a married Peter (with the exception of Jan.'s dating issue).

Yeah. It seems to me like they had a bigger hangup with him not living with Aunt May.

I read bad comics, but this destroyed my entire faith in the medium.
If you're going to be hyperbolic, at least do it properly.

Saying that One More Day 'destroyed' your 'entire faith in the medium' implies that you don't think comics are worth reading anymore.

No, it means that he doesn't have faith that comics will be able to establish themselves as a respectable medium, that people will be able to have increasingly deep and emotional relationships with characters and life-stories that they can take seriously, relate to, care about, FEEL. That comics can be, are, and are evolving into something more than just some stupid sing-son world where any idiot can derail things with contrived plot-lines that a 10-year-old would find suspect, in other words, everything that they largely were for so many years that made them a shallow, cheap-thrill that had to be periodically shaken awake by once-in-a-lifetime, all-or-nothing stories like Watchmen just to receive the vague promise of ever being taken with respect by people who consider themselves above them.

If what he said was hyperbole at all, it was at least it's an appropriate one.

If you're going to be hyperbolic, at least do it properly.

Saying that One More Day 'destroyed' your 'entire faith in the medium' implies that you don't think comics are worth reading anymore.

No, it means that he doesn't have faith that comics will be able to establish themselves as a respectable medium, that people will be able to have increasingly deep and emotional relationships with characters and life-stories that they can take seriously, relate to, care about, FEEL. That comics can be, are, and are evolving into something more than just some stupid sing-son world where any idiot can derail things with contrived plot-lines that a 10-year-old would find suspect, in other words, everything that they largely were for so many years that made them a shallow, cheap-thrill that had to be periodically shaken awake by once-in-a-lifetime, all-or-nothing stories like Watchmen just to receive the vague promise of ever being taken with respect by people who consider themselves above them.

If what he said was hyperbole at all, it was at least it's an appropriate one.

What he said.

Please, i have exprience far worst than this. Much like E i liked it but i can see why some wouldn't. But it isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

yes it is. and i gotta say it may not be the worst but it sure as hell is in the top twenty.

Because one comic completely eradicates the potential of an entire medium.

That's like saying Kangaroo Jack destroys your entire faith in cinema.

Exactly. If Ultimate Iron Man or Ultimates 3 couldn't do it, it pretty much can't be done.

That's like saying Kangaroo Jack destroys your entire faith in cinema.

It's a little different when one of the tentpoles and most widely-seen parts of a much smaller medium ****s up like this.

Like, imagine if a franchise like, say The Dark Knight series, which has become about as successful as any movie can become, was then followed by a blatantly exploitive, overly hollywoodized schlock-fest revolving around one of the producer's own egos. That would destroy part of my faith in cinema, yes, because it shows no matter how ridiculously successful something is, it's still not safe from the crappy dealings of the industry that get away with ruining smaller films.

SeewhatImean?

It's a little different when one of the tentpoles and most widely-seen parts of a much smaller medium ****s up like this.

Like, imagine if a franchise like, say The Dark Knight series, which has become about as successful as any movie can become, was then followed by a blatantly exploitive, overly hollywoodized schlock-fest revolving around one of the producer's own egos. That would destroy part of my faith in cinema, yes, because it shows no matter how ridiculously successful something is, it's still not safe from the crappy dealings of the industry that get away with ruining smaller films.
In that case, I'd think the physics of your faith in cinema, or art in general, are kind of weird then.

We(myself and, I think, Tog) are not talking about the medium itself, but the industry which controls the brunt of it and allows us access to it.
My understanding of TOG's view was "the medium," but that's a fair point. :)

But I do think that "the industry" is such a broad thing that it's hard to lose faith in its entirety, unless you're referring to specific sections of it.

For example, Rob Liefeld could have made me lose my faith in mainstream comics, or superhero comics or Marvel Comics in the 90s, but I certainly still had faith in the black and white, independent "comix" world of Slave Labor Graphics and Kitchen Sink Press.

Likewise, Kangaroo Jack and other things could kill my faith in Hollywood, but not the entirety of the movie industry itself... which did come true, actually as there was a time earlier this century when I did lose my faith in Hollywood.

Getting back to One More Day, it and lots of bad comics are, I think, killing my faith --- and TOGs and yours --- in Marvel, DC, et al, but not "The Industry," unless you believe that the industry is Marvel, DC, et al.

Last edited:
The Dark Knight series, which has become about as successful as any movie can become, was then followed by a blatantly exploitive, overly hollywoodized schlock-fest revolving around one of the producer's own egos.

Would that be a film that involves rubber gimp suit costumes with nipples on them, cheesy acting involving catchphrases such as "Everybody CHILL!", and the Bat-Mastercard?

Because if it is... I don't think we ever have to worry about that being made.....

Latest posts

Back