Spider-Man One More Day: A Confession

Because one comic completely eradicates the potential of an entire medium.

That's like saying Kangaroo Jack destroys your entire faith in cinema.

Not even Jeph Loeb and Rob Liefeld in a massive team-up of suck would never succeed.

My understanding of TOG's view was "the medium," but that's a fair point. :)

But I do think that "the industry" is such a broad thing that it's hard to lose faith in its entirety, unless you're referring to specific sections of it.

For example, Rob Liefeld could have made me lose my faith in mainstream comics, or superhero comics or Marvel Comics in the 90s, but I certainly still had faith in the black and white, independent "comix" world of Slave Labor Graphics and Kitchen Sink Press.

Likewise, Kangaroo Jack and other things could kill my faith in Hollywood, but not the entirety of the movie industry itself... which did come true, actually as there was a time earlier this century when I did lose my faith in Hollywood.

Getting back to One More Day, it and lots of bad comics are, I think, killing my faith --- and TOGs and yours --- in Marvel, DC, et al, but not "The Industry," unless you believe that the industry is Marvel, DC, et al.
Totally agree with everything you've said. Spot on.

The point I was making was more towards the industry, not the medium.

Comics are not a medium as popular or as well respected as movies or other forms of mediums.

Comics are ,right now, more popular than they have ever been, but they will never reach that status with crap like this.

You imagine how confusing this would be to someone who never read a comic before?

Granted just about 80% of mainstream comics are like that, but to retcon entire stories based of personal beliefs without explaining it properly.

It irks me more, not that they did it, but when someone asks them to explain they should like stuttering twits.

Would that be a film that involves rubber gimp suit costumes with nipples on them, cheesy acting involving catchphrases such as "Everybody CHILL!", and the Bat-Mastercard?

Because if it is... I don't think we ever have to worry about that being made.....
The Bat-Mastercard is genius.

What if Bats needs to access the Wayne line of credit in costume?

Joe Quesada said:
MJ unknowingly beat Mephisto at his own game. By agreeing to MJ's terms, Mephisto has actually wiped himself from ever having been involved in their lives. In fact, looking at it linearly, those four issues never happened. Along with the wedding, 'One More Day' and Mephisto have been wiped out of continuity and Peter and MJ never made that bargain. … Ooooooh, me hears something breaking.

I don't understand!

Man... Mephisto sure is BAD AT HIS JOB, isn't he?

Also... Um... If the deal wiped OMD and Mephisto's interaction with Peter out of continuity, doesn't that mean that Mephisto is no longer beholden to honor the agreement to never mess with Peter again?

Last edited:
:lol:

That's hilarious.

Joe Q just needs to not speak sometimes.

Obviously this is not true because scenes from the deal were shown in OMiT.

this is stupid, but i think i understand what he means.

Now that OMiT is done, OMD is erased from continuity. Like a back to the future time travel kind of thing. Biff from the future goes back in time and gives Biff from the 50s the sports almanac. He becomes rich so now the reality that future Biff was from is no longer there. You needed it to get to the new reality, but once the new reality is in place, the old reality (including the events that caused the new reality) never happened.

Its definitely not as mind boggling as he's making it out to be. Every time travel story ever has dealt with it.

Now that OMiT is done, OMD is erased from continuity. Like a back to the future time travel kind of thing. Biff from the future goes back in time and gives Biff from the 50s the sports almanac. He becomes rich so now the reality that future Biff was from is no longer there. You needed it to get to the new reality, but once the new reality is in place, the old reality (including the events that caused the new reality) never happened.

I made this exact same argument in one of the Seven Soldiers threads and a few people basically told me to shut up and I didn't understand time travel in comics. If the Sheeda keep going back in time to harvest the Earth from 1 billion years in the future, and they came back 40,000 years ago, 10,000 years ago, and now today, and when they come back today they are defeated, then they didn't go back to 40,000 or 10,000 years ago. Because they can't exist in the future, 1 billion years from now, if they don't exist tomorrow.

I made this exact same argument in one of the Seven Soldiers threads and a few people basically told me to shut up and I didn't understand time travel in comics. If the Sheeda keep going back in time to harvest the Earth from 1 billion years in the future, and they came back 40,000 years ago, 10,000 years ago, and now today, and when they come back today they are defeated, then they didn't go back to 40,000 or 10,000 years ago. Because they can't exist in the future, 1 billion years from now, if they don't exist tomorrow.

...and thats how I became my own father.

You could just use the excuse time is fluid and always in flux to explain away inconsistencies and focus on the story you want to tell.

I always thought they went to a past in an alternate universe myself.

I made this exact same argument in one of the Seven Soldiers threads and a few people basically told me to shut up and I didn't understand time travel in comics.

Well, those people are stupid. Nobody knows how time travel works because time travel doesn't exist. Some sci-fi fiction does a pretty logical job of getting it right, but it's rare to find a comic book that does. The only place I can think of it being excellently crafted in a comic is in Planetary and that's because Ellis is a clever conceptual science geek, and because the actual process was only used briefly as a culmination of the series. As far as Grant Morrison fiction is concerned, there's almost always a degree to which you need to suspend logic. That said, I don't think there are any huge paradoxes concerning his time travel in Seven Soldiers (I'll get to that below). I don't inherently have a problem with the paradox at the center of OMIT. After all, since time travel is an imaginary thing, so the rules are naturally going to vary by creator. As Cap Canuck said, the time paradox is hardly a revolutionary fictional conceit. My problem with it isn't that.

I guess the heart of my discontent is Quesada's ****rageous smuggery. He explains his perception of time travel to the readers as if the mechanics of it are what we were discontented with. The reality is, I just felt like it wasn't a very good story. My problem with OMD wasn't the fact that they were rewriting continuity. It was the fact that it didn't feel like a story so much as an excuse to move pieces around. It wasn't about the characters so much as it was an excuse to rearrange the pieces to position them the way editorial wanted. And in publishing terms, I'm fine with that. They felt like Spider-Man needed a fresh new direction. That's fine. I've got no real problem with that, the payoff was clearly worthwhile (even if BND started off bumpy), but as a story, it wasn't much of anything. It felt more like the people in charge said "What do we have to do to get the character where we want him?" rather than "How do we organically move these characters where they need to be and tell a good story in the process?". But again, that's fine. By the time OMIT came out, most people seemed to be happy with the new direction and had forgotten about OMD in the first place. Most people didn't seem to care about the mysteries behind the new status quo because, well, they weren't all that important to the narrative. And now that it's out, it looks like the same thing as OMD, a narrative that's not so much a story so much as it is an excuse to move the pieces around. Ostensibly the end point here is to make MJ and Peter friends again (which could have been done without this story), but the real reason behind it seems to be to validate Joey Q's ego. "See? See? Remember that story you didn't like very much? Turns out it was brilliant after all! And the sequel negates all your problems with it! ..... You still didn't like it? Oh, well, that's CLEARLY because you didn't understand the paradox at the center of it all! Suck it!" To me, it just felt like Q was telling a story to himself.

As far as the time travel goes, well, he's clearly making his own rules. To me, it seems like if the nature of the contract wipes out the old time line, then it also nullifies Mephisto's promise to Mary Jane. But Quesada's interpretation is fine (Although, expecting us to understand it without explanation seems like a stretch). It does make Mephisto look pretty ineffective though. I mean, he's supposed to be Marvel's answer to Mephistopheles, right? The Great Liar? Satan as Lawyer? It didn't make much sense for him to be so hellbent on destroying Pete and MJ's marriage in the first place, but this just makes him look like a stoner pre-law freshman. MJ and Peter end up being happy for the years that they're still divorced. The fallout from the divergent timeline is cosmetic at best, and all because of some minor league stipulation MJ gets him to agree to? Shouldn't he know better than that? If he's any good at his job whatsoever, shouldn't he have known better? How is he expected to be a threat to any superheroes if he's tricked by the off-handed guile of some random super model?

E said:
If the Sheeda keep going back in time to harvest the Earth from 1 billion years in the future, and they came back 40,000 years ago, 10,000 years ago, and now today, and when they come back today they are defeated, then they didn't go back to 40,000 or 10,000 years ago. Because they can't exist in the future, 1 billion years from now, if they don't exist tomorrow.

I think it makes perfectly fine sense. Look at it like this. The Sheeda exist in 1,000,002,010 AD, right? In the spring of 1,000,002,010 AD, they go back to 40,000 BC. They rape, they pillage. Humanity is culled to almost nothing, and the Sheeda go back to their own time. In the summer of 1,000,002,010 AD, they jump back in time to 10,000 BC, do the same thing. When they come back today, it's the spring of 1,000,002,011 in their timeline. They're older than they were when they came back from the earlier cullings. The Seven Soldiers didn't prevent them from being born, or stop the versions of the Sheeda that earlier invaded Earth. They stopped the Sheeda later in the Sheeda's lifetime. In the far future, the Sheeda will still come into being. They'll make numerous raids on Earth at various points in Earth's timeline, and eventually they'll be stopped when the try to do it in the twenty-first century. There isn't a paradox there, really.

E said:
That was never stated explicitly nor implied in any way.

So? Why does it need to be? It's not relevant to the story.

Last edited:
I think it makes perfectly fine sense. Look at it like this. The Sheeda exist in 1,000,002,010 AD, right? In the spring of 1,000,002,010 AD, they go back to 40,000 BC. They rape, they pillage. Humanity is culled to almost nothing, and the Sheeda go back to their own time. In the summer of 1,000,002,010 AD, they jump back in time to 10,000 BC, do the same thing. When they come back today, it's the spring of 1,000,002,011 in their timeline. They're older than they were when they came back from the earlier cullings. The Seven Soldiers didn't prevent them from being born, or stop the versions of the Sheeda that earlier invaded Earth. They stopped the Sheeda later in the Sheeda's lifetime. In the far future, the Sheeda will still come into being. They'll make numerous raids on Earth at various points in Earth's timeline, and eventually they'll be stopped when the try to do it in the twenty-first century. There isn't a paradox there, really.

Yes, this.

Well, those people are stupid.

Yeah, I thought so too...

Nobody knows how time travel works because time travel doesn't exist.

...but only partly because of this.

To me, it seems like if the nature of the contract wipes out the old time line, then it also nullifies Mephisto's promise to Mary Jane.

Good point.

It didn't make much sense for him to be so hellbent on destroying Pete and MJ's marriage in the first place

The reason it doesn't make sense is because that wasn't the reason. He was doing it as some sort of cosmic battle against God.

He actually said that was the case. I kind of think one reason that people rail on this story so much is because either they miss stuff like that or are too busy trying to prove their fanboy-ness by being outraged about the story that they don't allow themselves to enjoy it. I don't mean you, specifically.

How is he expected to be a threat to any superheroes if he's tricked by the off-handed guile of some random super model?

Eh. I really don't think it was a matter of trickery. He made a deal, she countered, he accepted.

I think it makes perfectly fine sense. Look at it like this. The Sheeda exist in 1,000,002,010 AD, right?

If they were destroyed in 2010, how is this possible?

So? Why does it need to be? It's not relevant to the story.

It doesn't. I wasn't making the suggestion.

The reason it doesn't make sense is because that wasn't the reason. He was doing it as some sort of cosmic battle against God.

Hm.... See, that seems even more deus ex machiny. My problem with the stories was that they didn't feel like stories, and more like continuity connect the dots. If Mephisto's motives are about some unspecified Job-like wager with God, then that makes it even less a story about Spider-Man. It's like if sun god Ra walked into Spidey's life and was like "Hey, Pete. I'm totally going to make your dreams come true" and Spidey's like "Why?" and Ra's like "'cuz I got a quota to reach".

E said:
He actually said that was the case. I kind of think one reason that people rail on this story so much is because either they miss stuff like that or are too busy trying to prove their fanboy-ness by being outraged about the story that they don't allow themselves to enjoy it. I don't mean you, specifically.

I just don't remember it because it's been years since I've read it now. But it doesn't endear me any more towards the story.

E said:
Eh. I really don't think it was a matter of trickery. He made a deal, she countered, he accepted.

Why? Why would he do that? What does he possibly have to gain? There's nothing apparent that he stands to gain from such a bargain. If we don't understand anything about his motives then he may as well be Ra or Zeus or a magical fish. It just further illustrates the point that the story just really doesn't matter. It's all about the continuity fallout. In which case, why write a sequel?

E said:
If they were destroyed in 2010, how is this possible?

Because we aren't following linear time. We're following the chain of time travel events. By the time the Sheeda have appeared in 2010, the afforementioned events have already happened to them. They've already accomplished these things. By killing someone who's time traveled before they were ever born, you don't cease them being born. They just happen to die in the past.

To put it in Back to the Future terms, if Marty McFly is a 16 year old living in the 80's and time travels to the 50's, and someone kills him, it doesn't prevent Marty McFly from being born. The chain of events that lead to his parents meeting and giving birth to him will still happen. He'll still grow up. At age 16, he'll jump into a time machine and travel to the 50's, and he'll die there. You aren't creating a paradox. You aren't changing anything about the chain of events that led to him being born. Anything that happens before he turns 16 stays the same.

Last edited:

I don't remember Mephisto saying it was about anything to do with God. In fact I remember him saying he just likes tormenting people and this was just one of his ways of doing that.

But regardless, there's actually an issue of Sensational Spider-Man (the one right before OMD started) where Peter meets a mysterious, omnipotent stranger that is implied to be God. They talk about the point of suffering in the world and the struggle between good and evil. I really liked that issue (but then, I'm inclined toward that kind of stuff) and was thinking OMD could have been better if they had tied that in with the whole deal with the devil thing.

But regardless, there's actually an issue of Sensational Spider-Man (the one right before OMD started) where Peter meets a mysterious, omnipotent stranger that is implied to be God. They talk about the point of suffering in the world and the struggle between good and evil. I really liked that issue (but then, I'm inclined toward that kind of stuff) and was thinking OMD could have been better if they had tied that in with the whole deal with the devil thing.

I agree with you there. While I don't have much use for religion in real life, I can definitely see its use as a literary device (as long as, well, it's not overly preachy and issue driven), and while I don't normally see a place for that in Spider-Man stories, it certainly could have had one here. Marvel had a unique opportunity in that the story itself becomes wiped from existence. This is one of the few opportunities in the medium of sequential comics to have a definitive ending for a character, one that also allows the company to keep publishing his comics. Marvel has shied away from the whole "Mephisto is the Devil" thing, but I would have liked to see them more fully embrace it for this story. Not a Christian Devil necessarily, but a literary Devil (and really, all Christianity's understanding of the Devil comes from apocryphal literature anyway, so natch), and maybe a manifestation of the divine. But really, the story itself should have been a celebration of the last two decades or so of the comics (That's about how long it's been since the Mary Jane marriage, right?). If they wanted a fresh start, it would have been nice to see a resolution, of Peter's relationship with MJ, with his dead uncle, of Peter coming to terms with himself and his guilt and who he is and why he does what he does. Clear out all the dead skeletons. Tell a story that completes the Spider-Man story of the past fifty years before jumping into the bold new direction. ;) And I think there'd be a much more nuanced layer of irony in the fact that he finally comes to peace with all his guilt, rights himself as a man and reaches inner peace only to have all this undone and forgotten when the deal goes into effect. Call it a baptism, if you really want to get religious with it.

Instead we got what seemed to me to be a very sterile, continuity driven affair.

Here's a thought. Peter Parker makes a deal with the Devil. MJ whispers to Mephisto "Show me what our life would have been like".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back