Paradise X discussion (spoilers)

sax_russell_the_green

Well, since there's thread for the other parts in the series, and I couldn't find a thread for the third, I figured I'd start one.

The first thing I want to talk about is the seemingly absurd pricing for the TPBs online. A search of Google results in prices exceeding a hundred dollars. One site lists it for almost $200! And that's just for the first volume! Listings for Volume 2 are easily in the $70 to $150 range. Am I missing something here? When did these things get to be such hot collectibles?

Re: Paradise X

sax_russell_the_green said:
Well, since there's thread for the other parts in the series, and I couldn't find a thread for the third, I figured I'd start one.

The first thing I want to talk about is the seemingly absurd pricing for the TPBs online. A search of Google results in prices exceeding a hundred dollars. One site lists it for almost $200! And that's just for the first volume! Listings for Volume 2 are easily in the $70 to $150 range. Am I missing something here? When did these things get to be such hot collectibles?
When they went out of print, sold out on most sites, and some *******s decided to gouge away.

How's this for gouging?

A ticket to France via ferry in the UK was around 30 quid. Then, Arsenal (or some football team) qualified for a match in France and the price went up to 300 quid. :lol:

Paradise X is a good ending to the trilogy.

I have now made it a personal mission to own Paradise X Vols. 1 & 2 before Monday.

But Motor City Comic Con is coming up, so I might have to wait until then.

Either way it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Better hurry, I can only find a couple of book stores around me that still own a copy, and those are probably beat up from being read in-store.

I finally started this. I've read the 3 heralds issues and issue 0.

This is a lot easier to follow than the last two.

Issue 0 was great set up for the series.

I'm excited to finish it.

I finished this last week. It wasn't as good as Earth X or Universe X, and it was more confusing. Still it was pretty good. Maybe I need to read through it again.

SPOILERS FOLLOW...

And since I don't recall if it had been said, for people wondering about the identity of Daredevil - it was Mephisto.

Question - so when Mephisto killed Captain Britain with Excaliber, it was really Meggan? Is that what that was about? Because it was a little confusing. I couldn't tell if it was some kind of illusion or if she took on his appearance just before being killed with the sword...

Mephisto wasn't Daredevil. He just impersonated Daredevil briefly in Doom's Castle to release Jude.

And yeah, Meggan was impersonating Britain to serve as a decoy.

Is the same artist as the other two? I like this a lot better and the coloring seems brighter. I think this is really cool so far. I like the angels like Cap and Daredevil. Finally the Punisher is there.

I know Bass has said a few times that Paradise X explains the existance of the Ultimate Universe, but I realied something...the explanation for all of the alternate timelines was for alt. timelines to the main Marvel U...and basically one is created whenever someone goes any time travel or something like that. So it requires direct contact with an inhabitant of the main Marvel U., which the Ultimate U. has never had...

I'm sure Bass will explain it away with a bunch of college words, but I don't think Paradise X explains *all* alternate timelines or universes.

Well, it allows the plausibility for the explanation of the existence of the Ultimate Universe. How do we know that someone's travels through time didn't step on a quark the wrong way and result in the Ultimate Universe springing out like it did? It doesn't always take a big influence to cause big changes. There's a lot of things that are different in the UU that require more than simple personal intervention of events. The mere fact that the entire timeline is bumped up to a more modern setting. How does Mephisto cause an entire history to move forward in time like that? He doesn't. The status of universe is changed infintesimally causing grander changes in the long run.

In other words, it's like that episode of Sliders where they go to the world that still in the 1980's, but they figure out that that Earth must have simply formed a couple of decades later than the "regular" Earth. :D

Last edited:
sax_russell_the_green said:
Well, it allows the plausibility for the explanation of the existence of the Ultimate Universe. How do we know that someone's travels through time didn't step on a quark the wrong way and result in the Ultimate Universe springing out like it did?

I thought it seemed pretty clear that in order to create a new alternate timeline/universe, someone would physically have to "step into" it from the original (or I suppose from another alternate).

Hmm... the Devils special confused me... is Mephisto all of the Daredevils? if so, his role in everything doesn't seem to make sense...

I still think it should have been Deadpool.

Last edited:
Dr.Strangefate said:
Hmm... the Devils special confused me... is Mephisto all of the Daredevils? if so, his role in everything doesn't seem to make sense...

I still think it should have been Deadpool.
No, he just slipped in as ome of them.

And I like the new Daredevil not being anyone. He's just some guy. Who can't die.

I always thought that Earth/Universe/Paradise X Daredevil was a D-list character from old Captain America and She-Hulk comics called Madcap. I'd heard that mentioned somewhere a while back and can't remember who said it, but I'm pretty sure it was someone from the creative or editorial staff at the time.

I guess I'll have to search for this information again.

You know... you're right. Daredevil could indeed be Madcap! Good catch! It's not mentioned in the comic if I recall, so I don't know if it's correct but it is absolutely a good link. Well done!

I just got the first volume and this is really good. I think I might like Paradise X best out of the trilogy. I like the way it contrasts, compares and ties together grand cosmic events like Heaven eating up the Negative Zopne and small, personal dramas like Frank Castle and his family. I want to see what happens to Thor and Loki and what the heroes are going to do about Mephisto and who/what the new Grim Reaper will be. I can't wait to see if the angels do mutiny and who the guy is in the afterlife with the "THE END WAS HERE" sign is. I also like that this volume explains and elaborates on some of the loose ends and confusing things from Universe X.

So wait... if the Mar-Vell child on Earth is Jesus, and if the Marvel in the afterlife is God, and if the angels do revolt... won't that make Cap be Lucifer?

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying it TwilightEL!

Also, the Cap as Lucifer - damn good catch. I need to reread this stuff.

Latest posts

Back