Pokemon

I've never played a Pokemon game because of the way the cartoons, toys, marketing always aimed at younger kids. I just assumed it would be a series of immature, simplistic games. Glad to see I assumed incorrectly.

I'll still never waste time playing one, though.

I have played all the handheld versions of Pokemon (only finished Blue though) and I can say that the games are the only thing good in the Pokemon franchise. The other merchandise and the show should NEVER have existed.

I have played all the handheld versions of Pokemon (only finished Blue though) and I can say that the games are the only thing good in the Pokemon franchise. The other merchandise and the show should NEVER have existed.
Some people don't know this, but the games were created to promote the cartoons, like before cartoons were created to promote toys (I believe He-Man is among those). I used to watch the cartoons, now I just dont. I haven't been watching them for a long time.

Some people don't know this, but the games were created to promote the cartoons, like before cartoons were created to promote toys (I believe He-Man is among those). I used to watch the cartoons, now I just dont. I haven't been watching them for a long time.
I thought it was the other way around --- that the cartoons were made to promote the games. It's certainly more likely, as it happens all the time in Japan that a franchise is conceived with synergy in mind such that it's easier to sell an anime that has a collectible/merchandising potential to networks.

As far as I know, GONZO operates this way. Works like Saikano (aka She, the Ultimate Weapon) and Welcome to the NHK are only possible because they specialize in highly merchandisable fare like Vandread and Full Metal Panic!.

Thus with Pokemon, I don't think it's a matter of the games or anime being subservient to the other, but a synergistic commercial endeavor.

Gold and Silver were easily the best versions of the Pokemon games... They'd be well advised to do one as long and as difficult as that one. After that game, they got too easy.

I'd say Gold and Silver were the easiest Pokemon games. Their Elite 4 was hardly Elite- lv. 50 at highest, which is 5 levels below the Red/Blue and now Diamond/Pearl E4.

Then again, they did include the final boss...but that wasn't too difficult, if you raised a team.

Gold and Silver DID have the best features, though, and I'm glad to see them brought back in D/P. Now we have Morning/Noon/Afternoon/Dusk/Night. I can't wait.

I thought it was the other way around --- that the cartoons were made to promote the games. It's certainly more likely, as it happens all the time in Japan that a franchise is conceived with synergy in mind such that it's easier to sell an anime that has a collectible/merchandising potential to networks.

As far as I know, GONZO operates this way. Works like Saikano (aka She, the Ultimate Weapon) and Welcome to the NHK are only possible because they specialize in highly merchandisable fare like Vandread and Full Metal Panic!.

Thus with Pokemon, I don't think it's a matter of the games or anime being subservient to the other, but a synergistic commercial endeavor.
That's what I thought, too, but apperantly, the cartoon actually came first this time around.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the games were first.

In Japan, the games were released a in '96. The reception was a letdown and only once the third version (which wasn't released outside of Japan) came out it really started to catch on. The anime (which they only started working on after the games became popular) was released about a year after the games first were, I think. Over in the US, it was the anime that came out first.

This article may clear up some things. I know there was another one somewhere that was more explict, but I can't find it. :l

Last edited:
Sacred&Profane said:
I'd say Gold and Silver were the easiest Pokemon games. Their Elite 4 was hardly Elite- lv. 50 at highest, which is 5 levels below the Red/Blue and now Diamond/Pearl E4.

Then again, they did include the final boss...but that wasn't too difficult, if you raised a team.

Gold and Silver DID have the best features, though, and I'm glad to see them brought back in D/P. Now we have Morning/Noon/Afternoon/Dusk/Night. I can't wait.

Most of it was pretty easy, except Red and catching the Legendaries. The Dogs were a PAIN to catch, as were Ho-Oh and Lugia (One was at 70). And Red's Pikachu was like. . .level 80.

As for people concerned about ridicule and such, usually the games are seen in less kiddy terms than the anime and cards. Now, if you're involved in the either of the two latter and are over the age of 13, you're in for a rough time if it ever gets out.

The games are very fun. I can understand people who had never played them avoiding them now, though, with the negative connotations that come with the name. Actually, now that I think about it, the manga is very good too. It generally follows the games more closely then the anime and is a bit more mature. Unfortunetly, only the first seven volumes were released here, with the last four being exceedingly rare.

Last edited:
In Japan, the games were released a in '96. The reception was a letdown and only once the third version (which wasn't released outside of Japan) came out it really started to catch on. The anime (which they only started working on after the games became popular) was released about a year after the games first were, I think. Over in the US, it was the anime that came out first.
That is ALMOST correct.

In Japan the first Pokemon games for Game Boy was Red and Green. They had below average graphic and like you said didn't get a very warm welcome. There was a re-make of the games with better graphic that was to become Blue. With the help of the show and correct PR the games became a big hit. In the US the Blue version was translated and a Red version that had the same kind of graphic was released. So the original Red and Green versions was never released outside Japan, but a remade Red version and the Blue version was.

This is easy to prove too. Just find the Japanese ROMs of Red, Green and Blue and compare them (of course you have to find them yourself :wink: ).

I'm sure we can all agree (except Ice) that the anime, and the other merchandise, were created to promote the games.

I agree with Goodwill. Gold and Silver were definitely the best games, and I played Gold for hundreds of hours.

I'm sure we can all agree (except Ice) that the anime, and the other merchandise, were created to promote the games.
WTF?

It was from an article I read years ago that someone gave me, saying this. :roll:

Besides, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I'm just saying from what I read. You don't have to say it like I wouldn't believe you or anything.

Last edited:
WTF?

It was from an article I read years ago that someone gave me, saying this. :roll:

Besides, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I'm just saying from what I read. You don't have to say it like I wouldn't believe you or anything.

What? People were saying anime was created to promote the games, you were saying games were created to promote the anime, and then someone else was saying that the anime was created to promote the games.

It was going to go on forever, so I ended it.

What? People were saying anime was created to promote the games, you were saying games were created to promote the anime, and then someone else was saying that the anime was created to promote the games.

It was going to go on forever, so I ended it.
I only went on once. :?

And so what? It's still discussion anyways.

Last edited:
I only went one once. :?

And so what? It's still discussion anyways.

"One once"? You posted saying that the games were created to promote the anime twice.

And I think if this thread is going to be about discussion of a debate we already know the answer to, it's stupid. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen to this thread.

"One once"? You posted saying that the games were created to promote the anime twice.
I meant "on once", as in: I only continued one other time after the initial post I made talking about it.

Anyways- Pokemon.com is slowly (very slowly) updating with more info for Diamond & Pearl. The Professor is called "Rowan" as S&P found out it's a type of tree, too. He looks like a young Wattson (from Mauville City- Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald versions).

And this time, your rival will have more play in the game- and sometimes you have to work with him. If I remember correctly, there will be a second person that you can name, too.

I agree with Goodwill. Gold and Silver were definitely the best games, and I played Gold for hundreds of hours.

I didn't think the anime was to promote the games as much as they saw the game was popular and figured "lets cash in on that. people who don't like the game might like the anime and buy other stuff"

The other merchandise was just to get the money of people who like the anime and/or game.

... And if Diamond/Pearl is anything like that, I will definitely be investing in a DS and a copy of the game. If it's as large as Gold/Silver, there's no question.

... And if Diamond/Pearl is anything like that, I will definitely be investing in a DS and a copy of the game. If it's as large as Gold/Silver, there's no question.

D/P sound the most like G/S in ways other than the Night/Day feature. For one, this IS the largest game- very few routes are 'Sea' routes and all are longer than the routes in previous games. However, if you want more than eight badges, you'll be out of luck, though he game does boast the strongest Gyms/ Elite Four and an insane amount of both new and old Pokemon.

Latest posts

Back