Punisher MAX (Ennis #1-60) Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: Punisher MAX Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I'm pretty sure it's like Nextwave.

It's so good, it doesn't matter how it fits to the other titles. It doesn't need them, and adding it to the other titles diminishes it somewhat.

It's the Punisher.

To quote a kid on the premier episode of the fifth (and final) season of Angel: "Dude, do you read the Punisher? He kills EVERYBODY." :lol:

I'm pretty sure it's like Nextwave.

It's so good, it doesn't matter how it fits to the other titles. It doesn't need them, and adding it to the other titles diminishes it somewhat.

It's the Punisher.

What about Fury MAX though...i think we can at least say it's in continuity with other MAX things Ennis wrote, I was just curious about the marvel knights stuff, but seems to have been cleared up. thanks guys

What about Fury MAX though...i think we can at least say it's in continuity with other MAX things Ennis wrote, I was just curious about the marvel knights stuff, but seems to have been cleared up. thanks guys

Basically your best bet is to forget Punisher MAX's continiuity standpoint in 616 and just start with "Punisher: Born" then move onto "Vol.1 - In The Beginning".

The thing with the Marvel Knights run is that Ennis wrapped up all the loose threads and all the characters in both volumes of the Marvel Knights runs that he did. The MAX series is a 'continuation' I suppose, in that the Marvel Knights titles are 'backstory', but are, as of the moment, completely irrelevant to the current MAX arcs.

Best not to worry 'bout it none.

I think we all know that Punisher is going to die next issue. Sure, he gets out of these situations every six issues and kills everyone, but this time, I'm sure he's dead.

Unless Jenny Cesare, like O'Brien before her, saves his ***.

But that'll never happen. Punisher's dead.

I love this comic so much.

I think we all know that Punisher is going to die next issue. Sure, he gets out of these situations every six issues and kills everyone, but this time, I'm sure he's dead.

But, but, i just started reading it. The End, i read it. it's in continuity.

damn that WAR JOURNALS!!! (we gotta blame something)

The latest issue was very good. Frank Castle FTW!

Great issue. The massacre scene was cool, and I'm amused that the Widows seem to have baited Frank better than anyone else.

Of course he's going to slaughter them anyways o it doesn't make much difference.

I suppose that brings up a question about this book...when does "Frank Castle slaughters enemy" get old as a plot? Does it no matter as long as the story leading up to it is good?

We want him to kill everyone. It gets tired when we don't care about him getting them. Ennis has to create incredibly vile/engaging villains that we WANT to see Frank kill. If he does that, we'll keep picking it up.

I suppose that brings up a question about this book...when does "Frank Castle slaughters enemy" get old as a plot?

But that's the basis of the character. It's what he does. Nobody says "I'm tired of seeing Spidey swinging thru the air and webbing up bad guys." do they?

But I guess you have a point. If we all know what he's gonna do....why continue to read? I think it's how he's gonna do it, is what intrigues us. When he shoots useless thugs...who cares? But when we see him gut a man or light a man on fire....that's what gives us the erection. Err---umm.....ahem. :shifty:

So yeah...it's all about how.

After rereading this arc so far....I think Frank knows it's a trap. I don't think the women have tricked him at all. I think maybe at first he might've believed them....but then the girl seemed so insistent and everything seemed too easy that now he knows he's being set up.

And with this being a group of women...we're not gonna get the soft side of Frank Justice. He's gonna view them just like the men and it's gonna get ugly.

Ok I just read the last few arcs. A coupla things.

Tying the guys intestines round the tree branches has gotta be one of the sickest things i've seen al year. I love it. Slavers is my best arc..or maybe mother russia...that one did have an awsome ending

And who was the girl Jen Cooke. She met the punisher and said something about the subway tunnels that she saw..but didn't tell the police. I'm guessing this is from the Marvel Knights series.

And in Man of Stone, near the start I didn't quite understand why the British were in there and what they wanted with O'Brien.

But I really love the series. I like how it seems these arcs last few weeks but are spaced about 6 months apart so It kinda keeps real time. and he always shouts back to the previous one a bit like "oh yeah I pissed off some of the right people and got this police anti-vigilante initiative thing".

I think the weakest arc has probably been Kitchen Irish..but even that was a bit of fun. and had really terrifying realistic villains.

There's just so many awsome lines in it like "they put the sights on top for a reason"

Love it

Last edited:

And who was the girl Jen Cooke. She met the punisher and said something about the subway tunnels that she saw..but didn't tell the police. I'm guessing this is from the Marvel Knights series.

Yeah, basically she stumbled across this guy in the sewers who killed homeless people and made a mountain out of their corpses and slept underneath it. The Punisher was in the sewers and so they met up. It wasn't a particularly good story, so you're not missing much. Slavers is much better.

And in Man of Stone, near the start I didn't quite understand why the British were in there and what they wanted with O'Brien.

I'm pretty sure that's explained in the issue. O'Brien first appears in the first MAX arc and Yorkie appears for one issue in the Marvel Knights series. So it's all there.

But I really love the series. I like how it seems these arcs last few weeks but are spaced about 6 months apart so It kinda keeps real time. and he always shouts back to the previous one a bit like "oh yeah I pissed off some of the right people and got this police anti-vigilante initiative thing".

The continuity is really something. At the moment we've got Punisher squaring off against the widows of Mafia capos he's killed in "Widowmaker". I reckon the next arc might see the return of Barracuda. :D

There's just so many awsome lines in it like "they put the sights on top for a reason"
Love it

It's a great comic. :rockon:

Thanks Bass. I'll probably get round to reading the MK Punisher one day. I mean yeah it's a pretty self contained series. so I'm guessing there's only a few characters from before (Micro, Jen cooke, Fury and Yorkie) and They're all pretty much explained anyway.

Yeah I think I read somewhere that the barracuda mini is gonna lead up to the arc that starts with issue 50 and the widowmaker arc is 7 issues long for a change.

Yeah I think I read somewhere that the barracuda mini is gonna lead up to the arc that starts with issue 50 and the widowmaker arc is 7 issues long for a change.

This is true. That sick bastard Barracuda is going to give the Punisher a real difficult time second time around too.

Thanks Bass. I'll probably get round to reading the MK Punisher one day. I mean yeah it's a pretty self contained series. so I'm guessing there's only a few characters from before (Micro, Jen cooke, Fury and Yorkie) and They're all pretty much explained anyway.

Honestly? As much fun as the Marvel Knights are... I reread his Marvel Knights recently after re-reading all the MAX arcs and I have to say, they pale in comparison. Garth Ennis' work has matured so much that his non-MAX Punisher stories seem almost childish in comparison. You'll probably enjoy the non-MAX stuff, but what's coming out now is the best he's done. Which is the way it should be. This title rocks so much.

I love Barracuda. I'm just worried that his next appearance will be his last!

(This was the problem with Punisher vs Bullseye - at most, only one of them should've gotten out alive, as much as it pains me to say.)

Latest posts

Back