Random Science Questions

sonytape.jpg

SOUNDWAVE!!!!!

Yep. I went there.

Thats the pic that should always be used for Soundwave

Can soundwaves be used to bend metal and other objects?

Cam the resonant frequency of ANY object be calculated?

How can you modify sound waves to impact a segmented object-since soundwaves don't resonate well in segmented objects?

If you were using a sonic weapon on a moving object, how would you modify the sound waves being generated from the device under the Doppler Effect so that the moving object you want to target would be impacted?

Can soundwaves be used to bend metal and other objects?

What's your definition of other objects? Sound can break matter, but only at the correct frequency and resonance. Basically, the peak of the sin wave should be the point of breakage.

As for bending, no, sound isn't that exact.

Cam the resonant frequency of ANY object be calculated?

In theory, yes. If you have a sensitive enough machine, you can calculate the resonance of any object.

How can you modify sound waves to impact a segmented object-since soundwaves don't resonate well in segmented objects?

I have no idea what segmented objects are and how they would be difflucult for sound to impact it.

I have a feeling your trying to say something else, but worded it wrong

If you were using a sonic weapon on a moving object, how would you modify the sound waves being generated from the device under the Doppler Effect so that the moving object you want to target would be impacted?

Sound effects an area, it isn't pin pointed at any one place. Therefor, a doppler effect wouldn't be worried about if you are targeting someone with a sonic weapon.

If you are interested in sound, you should do some research about it, then come back if you need clarification on some things.

is any science in comics actually real? I.e. gamma rays, anti-matter, any thing that comes out of millar/bendis' ***.

No one wants to read comics that are completely grounded in realism. I want outstanding, one in a billion, scientific miracles. Who the hell cares?

Oh but science can be the inspiration for so many good stories. I had this cool idea for a story with the strings theory, couldn't start writting though, not enought time.
I mean, it's okay to get some things like Anti-matter and twist their logic to write something, but you should at least know the basic so that you could attract more readers (there are readers that preffer realism than just explosions and miracles), and you could use the knowledge to get other ideas as well.

No one wants to read comics that are completely grounded in realism. I want outstanding, one in a billion, scientific miracles. Who the hell cares?

i actually....would like to know and am interested in comics surrounded in realism. Isn't that what Ultimates was about? Deus Ex? Boys? PUN MAX? stop me if i stray away. Authority?

is any science in comics actually real?

Silver-Age Chemistry 101

The Science of the X-Men

The Science of Superheroes

The Physics of Superheroes

The first link is to an article in which students attempt to explain several situations in comics using scientific rules. The last three are books that examine the science behind some popular superheroes. Some of what's presented in comics could be possible based on our present understanding of science, some really does seem to be flights of fantasy.

Last edited:
I have a question.

How come from space the earth is green (and blue but green is the question) Surely cities around the world e.g New York which take up alot of room would appear as a grey area or something?

I have a question.

How come from space the earth is green (and blue but green is the question) Surely cities around the world e.g New York which take up alot of room would appear as a grey area or something?

because of your frame of reference (i assume you mean looking at the earth with the naked eye from space) the earth is so big, and the cities are so small by comparison they are generally completley washed out by the colours of the surrounding area's

there are some exceptions though like the Great Wall of China which apparently you can see from space

I never saw this thread before today. Huh.

I do have a question though - if you are listening to a radio broadcast and you are, say, 50 miles away, is there a delay? Do you hear the contents of the broadcast later than someone who is only, say, 1 mile away from the source (in this case, probably the tower)?

And if so, what happens if you start driving toward the source of the broadcast?

I never saw this thread before today. Huh.

I do have a question though - if you are listening to a radio broadcast and you are, say, 50 miles away, is there a delay? Do you hear the contents of the broadcast later than someone who is only, say, 1 mile away from the source (in this case, probably the tower)?

And if so, what happens if you start driving toward the source of the broadcast?

I think it might be like tv. A lot of live shows are shown with a 10 second delay to make sure that doesn't happen.

That's why say you are 50 miles away from the radio station and you phone in for a completion you have the same delay as someone 1 mile.

but i'm not 100% sure

Latest posts

Back