Random Science Questions

I think it might be like tv. A lot of live shows are shown with a 10 second delay to make sure that doesn't happen.

That's why say you are 50 miles away from the radio station and you phone in for a completion you have the same delay as someone 1 mile.

but i'm not 100% sure

The delays are made between the event being broadcast and the broadcast signal itself, not between the broadcast signal and reception. The reason is usually to allow the station to dump or edit out undesirable content (swearing).

Besides, TVs rarely move, unlike radio.

And seeing how radio stations also use delays for the same reasons, I don't think this is the case.

I never saw this thread before today. Huh.

I do have a question though - if you are listening to a radio broadcast and you are, say, 50 miles away, is there a delay? Do you hear the contents of the broadcast later than someone who is only, say, 1 mile away from the source (in this case, probably the tower)?

And if so, what happens if you start driving toward the source of the broadcast?
I would say yes, satellite would have a longer delay than cable, but I'm geussing

I would say yes, satellite would have a longer delay than cable, but I'm geussing

Well, I wasn't talking about satellite. I meant radio signal. Or TV - the principle is the same.

If you wanted to talk in terms of satellite I guess you could apply it to a space shuttle - if they are listening to a broadcast over a satellite (i.e. Sirius or XM) and were moving toward the satellite, what would happen to the delay as they moved closer to it? And again, by delay I mean the time it takes for the signal leaving the satellite to reach the receiver.

It's more practical to talk in terms of radio waves, though. I live near Flint - if I'm listening to a radio broadcast out of Detroit what happens to the signal delay as I move toward Detroit?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You term papers must have been awesome.
Sources

Um, I don't know. A book. I think the cover was green and it was written by some guy named Leonard or some **** like that.

That other book. You know the one.

Some websites. Can't remember which ones.

I talked to the guy who sits next to me in one of my classes. His name is Tom. Pretty cool guy.

Wikipedia.
What did Nikola Tesla do.
A lot.

Last edited:
Sources
Um, I don't know. A book. I think the cover was green and it was written by some guy named Leonard or some **** like that.

That other book. You know the one.

Some websites. Can't remember which ones.

I talked to the guy who sits next to me in one of my classes. His name is Tom. Pretty cool guy.
more or less yeah

except i was a little more thorough:

That book, written by that old bat who got what she had coming, you know the one where that guy does that stuff in that place and there's that girl, and they both end up doing something they regret for that reason, that was predicted by that other guy who drove that car too that place

That book, written by that old bat who got what she had coming, you know the one where that guy does that stuff in that place and there's that girl, and they both end up doing something they regret for that reason, that was predicted by that other guy who drove that car too that place
Yeah, I read The Catcher In the Rye too.

Well, I wasn't talking about satellite. I meant radio signal. Or TV - the principle is the same.

If you wanted to talk in terms of satellite I guess you could apply it to a space shuttle - if they are listening to a broadcast over a satellite (i.e. Sirius or XM) and were moving toward the satellite, what would happen to the delay as they moved closer to it? And again, by delay I mean the time it takes for the signal leaving the satellite to reach the receiver.

It's more practical to talk in terms of radio waves, though. I live near Flint - if I'm listening to a radio broadcast out of Detroit what happens to the signal delay as I move toward Detroit?
I think either way the delay is very small, unless you're traveling really fast

What did Nikola Tesla do.

Aside from generally being better than T. Edison in every way, he also is credited with many landmark electrical inventions that are still in use today, including the radio.

He was also one half of an elite team known as "The Just ****ing Awesome Two" as he was good friends with Mark Twain. Through use of a long-mistook-for-fictional time machine, the team later expanded to four with the additions of H.G. Wells and Kurt Vonnegut, and they proceeded to roam throughout history, predicting future prosperities and poking fun at political trends.

Aside from generally being better than T. Edison in every way, he also is credited with many landmark electrical inventions that are still in use today, including the radio.

He was also one half of an elite team known as "The Just ****ing Awesome Two" as he was good friends with Mark Twain. Through use of a long-mistook-for-fictional time machine, the team later expanded to four with the additions of H.G. Wells and Kurt Vonnegut, and they proceeded to roam throughout history, predicting future prosperities and poking fun at political trends.

That's right. Tesla time traveled to 1990 and remade the song "Signs"...it was a pretty big hit for him too.

That's right. Tesla time traveled to 1990 and remade the song "Signs"...it was a pretty big hit for him too.
I find Chuck Norris, Jack Bauer and Vin Diesel random facts absolutely boring (not to mention interchangeable) and would probably enjoy a Facts About Nikola Tesla meme that reads like this more.

Written by Alan Moore

Doppler effect

That is all

when an object is producing sound and remains stationary the sound waves spread out at a failry even rate in all directions

(--(--(--#--)--)--)

while when an object is moving while it is producing sound the sounds waves radiating out the same direction as the object's path get compressed together, while sound waves travelling in the opposite direction are much more spred out

(----(-----(---#-)))

the effect this has highten's the pitch of the sound as the object approaches you, and when it passes you the pitch lowers, think when a motorcycle drives by you on the street

I'm pretty sure you already know this Houde, unless you a really ****ty Scientist

PHYSICS!

Last edited:
I'm confused due to this weekend.

Did someone actually have a question in this thread or what?

I had

I have a question.

How come from space the earth is green (and blue but green is the question) Surely cities around the world e.g New York which take up alot of room would appear as a grey area or something?

Now someone said it was because there is more green non-occupied land. But we knock down and kill more land every year for car parks , houses ect.... So I just don't get it.

The landmasses aren't just green from space, they're a dozen colours. We still have a massive amount of forests and jungles and stuff left and those parts appear green, deserts and mountain ranges appear varying shades of brown, white and gray, etc. It's not a cartoon.

Observe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg

Ahhh , I know it's not a cartoon :lol: just I'm always use to seeing it that way you know with computer versions ect... in movies tv shows and all that. But thank you dude you answered my question well

Latest posts

Back