Recommend me some Geoff Johns

I cannot believe no one here has listed Green Lantern: Rebirth.

It was mentioned, and I actually did read it. I had a hard time with it because it seemed extremely continuity-heavy, and I'm looking for something that isn't so much.

I said before - it's not that it was bad or I didn't like it, just that I didn't "get it".

It was mentioned, and I actually did read it. I had a hard time with it because it seemed extremely continuity-heavy, and I'm looking for something that isn't so much.

I said before - it's not that it was bad or I didn't like it, just that I didn't "get it".

Funny. I read it without ever reading any solo Green Lantern story ever and I understood it all just fine. There was surprisingly little about The Death of Superman and all that; the only stuff that was a little bit hard to follow was the Spectre stuff, but there wasn't even all that much of that.

It's not that good.

It's decent. I hate the premise of the story myself. Which was solely to make Hal Jordan the Green Lantern again because fans *****ed about it so much.

Granted, it was a decent story, I'm not knocking the story at all, I'm merely upset with the premise.

Be fair though, how many hundreds of comic-sagas have the exact same premise?

I would much prefer a saga that is entirely based on the resurrection of a character rather than a saga where a character is resurrected "along the way" and the resurrection is a part of something "much bigger".

Funny. I read it without ever reading any solo Green Lantern story ever and I understood it all just fine. There was surprisingly little about The Death of Superman and all that; the only stuff that was a little bit hard to follow was the Spectre stuff, but there wasn't even all that much of that.

Be fair though, how many hundreds of comic-sagas have the exact same premise?

I would much prefer a saga that is entirely based on the resurrection of a character rather than a saga where a character is resurrected "along the way" and the resurrection is a part of something "much bigger".

Hm. Kevin Smith's Green Arrow might qualify.

Rebirth was one for my first DC comics. I barely understood it but it was awesome.

I didn't like Green Lantern or why there needed to be 4 different ones.

It changed that.

I think E would enjoy Action Comics.

Rebirth was one for my first DC comics. I barely understood it but it was awesome.

I didn't like Green Lantern or why there needed to be 4 different ones.

It changed that.

Well, I did always like the concept of the Green Lantern Corps. What I liked about Rebirth was how it established the different types of constructs the different Lanterns made, to reflect their personalities (i.e. Kyle is artistic and makes beautifully detailed shapes, John is an architect and every shape has to make sense functionally, Guy is just a wildman that shoots out green flames, etc). It also turned Guy Gardner from an uninteresting 90s 'badboy' character into an interesting Green Lantern.

I think E would enjoy Action Comics.

Yeah, the whole continuity-free thing they've got going on over there is certainly enjoyable for people who are only familiar with the Superman movies/TV shows, rather than the comics.

Last edited:
Yeah, the whole continuity-free thing they've got going on over there is certainly enjoyable for people who are only familiar with the Superman movies/TV shows, rather than the comics.

That sounds perfect for me, even though I really don't care much for Superman.

Anyone know when he started on AC and if any of it has been collected in TPB yet?

Anyone know when he started on AC and if any of it has been collected in TPB yet?

#844-846, 851 make up the "The Last Son" storyline. Drawn by Adam Kubert and cowritten by Richard Donner. It involves finding a boy with kryptontion abilities and a new Zod.

The final part of the storyline has been majority delayed. It will be in the Next Action Comics Annual.

#855-857 make up the second storyline is "Escape From Bizarro World" with art by Eric Powell. This was really good. Bizarro Doomsday. There is a hardcover coming or is out with the other annual he wrote already.

#858-#862 is the Legion Of Superheros story with art by Gary Frank. This storyline is still ongoing.

There is a huge Brainiac storyline and revamp coming up.

As with most things DC, it's quite complicated.

When Infinite Crisis ended, there were two Superman titles. Action Comics and Superman. Johns wrote Action Comics and Busiek wrote Superman. These crossed over for One Year Later. It's a good story and it's drawn by Pete Woods. It's called Up, Up and Away. You can get it in TPB.

Geoff Johns begun his proper run on Action Comics beginning with #844. This is the first part of Last Son, co-written by Richard Donner and drawn by Adam Kubert. IT HASN'T FINISHED YET. It went to #846, skipped ahead to #851 and then #852 was supposed to be the conclusion. But it was delayed because Kubert is so slow. And it's still being delayed. It's supposedly coming out as Action Comics Annual #11 in April. This arc won't be collected in trade until it finishes... which will hopefully be sometime soon. I presume Action Comics Annual #10, which came out during Last Son, will also be collected in this TPB.

Because of this delay, there were a couple of fill-in issues. Johns then picked back up at #855, with Escape From Bizarro World, a 3 part arc drawn by Eric Powell. This was pretty fun. I saw a trade solicited which comes with lots of old stuff, but I don't know if it's out yet.

Finally, the current arc is Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes. This begun with #858 and the conclusion is in #863, which should probably be released soon. This is drawn by Gary Frank of Supreme Power fame and it's pretty neat, though very confusing if you don't know anything about the Legion of Super-Heroes.

There's going to be a one-shot about Toyman and then we're getting into some big Brainiac arc which is supposedly going to lead into some massive Superman/Action Comics crossover at the end of the year. It's the 70th anniversary of Superman, so that's why DC have got all these plans for him (and they've got Johns, Robinson and Morrison on the Superman comics).

Personally, I don't think you're going to be able to get into it. Geoff Johns' stuff takes a lot of hard work, and unless you're willing to spend the time researching and getting to know the characters and persevere with the story, you're not going to like it.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think you're going to be able to get into it. Geoff Johns' stuff takes a lot of hard work, and unless you're willing to spend the time researching and getting to know the characters and persevere with the story, you're not going to like it.

Maybe...although a lot of Grant Morrison's work is the same way and he's one of my favorite writers.

Might as well give it a shot. It's not like I'm waist deep in AWESOME ****ING COMICS right now.

Thanks for the list TOG.

This really doesn't have any more continuity than Morrison's New X-men does.

If you know the just of the history and some of the characters it is easy to follow.

I didn't know much and I follow it just fine.

#844-846, 851 make up the "The Last Son" storyline. Drawn by Adam Kubert and cowritten by Richard Donner. It involves finding a boy with kryptontion abilities and a new Zod.

Yeah and it's heavily inspired by the movies and has practically no continuity that you need to know other than the very bare basics. It's a fun read and it has the best General Zod in recent memory.

The final part of the storyline has been majority delayed. It will be in the Next Action Comics Annual.

I hate the way they keep doing this.

#855-857 make up the second storyline is "Escape From Bizarro World" with art by Eric Powell. This was really good. Bizarro Doomsday. There is a hardcover coming or is out with the other annual he wrote already.

This was good, but I didn't care for the 'cartoony' art and frankly, I was a bit 'Bizarroed Out' after the all of the madness Morrisson had with him in All-Star a while back.
I liked Superman's 'Superman Vision' though. :)

There is a huge Brainiac storyline and revamp coming up.

Really psyched for this.

I really loved the Eric Powell art on the Bizarro World arc. Had a great 50's animation feel to it.

Meh. I don't know a lot of DC history but I have no problem getting into Johns work. Actually that is what makes his writing so good (IMO). I like how he taps into that history and makes it cool. That is where DC has an advantage over Marvel. They have SO much more history to play with.

I really loved the Eric Powell art on the Bizarro World arc. Had a great 50's animation feel to it.

Ah yeah, it did. I loved how they showed one of Bizarro and Superman's first encounters in black & white. That was really nice.

I just didn't care that much for the story overall, because I'd had my fill of Bizarro from All-Star Superman and that had a distinctly Silver-Age feel to it as well.

Meh. I don't know a lot of DC history but I have no problem getting into Johns work. Actually that is what makes his writing so good (IMO). I like how he taps into that history and makes it cool. That is where DC has an advantage over Marvel. They have SO much more history to play with.

Unfortunately, there's a big divide between the people who like that history and the people who think that it should all be jettisoned.

Personally, I think there's a lot of good stuff in the Silver Age, but there's a vast majority of silly elements that should be forgotten forever. Unfortunately, DC has never been able to find the right balance.

Last edited:
Personally, I think there's a lot of good stuff in the Silver Age, but there's a vast majority of silly elements that should be forgotten forever. Unfortunately, DC has never been able to find the right balance.

On the contrary. I think what Johns does (and Morrison to a lesser extent) is to take somewhat stale Silver Age elements and spin them into something modern and interesting. There's very little that can't be crafted into an intriguing concept by a sharp writer.

On the contrary. I think what Johns does (and Morrison to a lesser extent) is to take somewhat stale Silver Age elements and spin them into something modern and interesting.

Johns takes elements (more often than not) from the movies and spins them into something modern and interesting. Morrison's stories are packed with Silver-Age madness and he makes it work.

There's very little that can't be crafted into an intriguing concept by a sharp writer.

- Krypto
- Superman being completely, utterly, totally invulnerable to any force (man-made or natural) other than Kryptonite

Krypto rules. He was the leader of the Legion of Super-Pets.

The newest issue of Green Lantern, 29, tells his origin again for some reason, and apparently is tying it into the next big Lantern event. If you guys want to try jumping into GL, this is the time.

Latest posts

Back