Recommend me some Geoff Johns

E

Excelsior Club
After seeing some of you rave over Geoff Johns I think I might like to see some of his work. Can anyone recommend something? I'm not aware of anything I've read by him.

The less continuity-heavy the better.

Booster Gold! He co-writes it. Though he won't be on past issue #12 or something like that...

Last edited:
If your a green lantern or JSA fan those comics are kinda rocking right now.

He had some hits and misses when he revamped the teen titans a few years back.

Alot of these comics can now be found in trade form as well.

After seeing some of you rave over Geoff Johns I think I might like to see some of his work. Can anyone recommend something? I'm not aware of anything I've read by him.

The less continuity-heavy the better.

I recommend the trades of his runs on Flash, Teen Titans and JSA. As far as his current ongoings you should get Justice Society and Action Comics. His Infinite Crisis stuff was fantastic but it's heavily coated in continuity. But if you can only get one book I say get his current run on Green Lantern including Green Lantern Corps. If you're tired of the huge mega crossovers then the Sinestro Corps will be a releaf for you. It's in my opinion that it's been the best mega event since Age of Apocalypse. All in all you're ok with anything.

oh and save your money don't buy 52

and yeah the sinestro corp storyline was really really really good

oh and save your money don't buy 52

and yeah the sinestro corp storyline was really really really good

for real? I dug 52.

Anyway, yeah. Booster Gold's continuity light. I didn't know anything about Green Lantern going into Sinestro Corps, and I had no trouble following that either.

The new JSA book is kinda treading water, and has a whole lot of characters tied to DC families, so that's probably one you want to stay away from. The current Action Comics storyline is heavy on Legion characters, but if you're looking to pick up individual issues, you might want to give it a go. Apparently Johns is gnona do something big with the character this year.

If you're looking to pick up trades, I'd go with his Flash stuff, or his Teen Titans stuff.

yeah, not to derail this topic or knock geoff, But I gave it a shot and I completely lost interest.

Just my opinion.

I don't know, most of his stuff references or ties into past stuff. The only way you'll be able to get into it is if you keep reading it.

His Action Comics run seems to be pretty accessible though.

You liked Rebirth.

So I would continue with the Green Lantern series.

Action Comics and Justice Society currently.

I'm pretty sure he couldn't get into it because of the continuity.

Yeah i had a hard time with it.

I might look into Flash - anyone know the titles of his arcs (TPBs)?

Green Lantern is not heavily continuity. I picked it up around issue #20 and got the whole series and rebirth. It was the first time I had ever read Green Lantern. I immediatly was caught up. I think it's awesome.

Also try out the Flash and the early teen titans books because they are really good. IMO Geoff is the best writer in Dc.

Yeah i had a hard time with it.

I might look into Flash - anyone know the titles of his arcs (TPBs)?

Well, he did issues #164-225, which are divided into a large number of trades (there must be 7 or 8.). It's kind of hard to figure out the order of the trades, because the DC TPBs could do with some fixing.

Last edited:
I think 52 is the easiest point to jump on - they tried to make it that way. I think booster gold and green lantern have continuity references....booster gold jumps through time and includes such famous parts of DC such as Killing Joke and Zero Hour, but you should be ok.

JSA is probably easiest to jump on (the 1999 series that spins out of morrisons JLA crisis times 5 arc)..it's also co-written by David Goyer (Blade/batman begins screenplays)...the current action comics I read a couple of arcs...a bizarro thing which i didn't like, and something involving legion which was good, but kinda continued on from the Lightning Saga crossover in JLA/JSA.

Thing with Johns is apart from Infinite crisis and some others he's mostly on a book for a load of volumes, and I suppose part of the reason he's so good (and the problem for new readers) is that he makes references to all the continuity in DC but makes it all seem like it was planned rather than editorial decisions. This is why rebirth and booster gold are probably his best comics - he made hal good again, and he made booster gold cool. He's also got the take on justice society being more of a family, and you can train the young ones and there're certain titles that get passed on - made it a genuinely good book, rather than like a first attempt at a justice league. He also did a good job fixing power girl and the multiverse - so that pre-COIE stuff is still relevant.

Last edited:
Flash - Wonderland
Flash - Blood Will Run
Flash - Rogues
Flash - Crossfire
Flash - Blitz
Flash - Ignition
Flash - The Secret of Barry Allen
Flash - Rogue War

Flash - Wonderland
Flash - Blood Will Run
Flash - Rogues
Flash - Crossfire
Flash - Blitz
Flash - Ignition
Flash - The Secret of Barry Allen
Flash - Rogue War

Cool - thanks.

I'm rereading the graphic novel JLA/JSA: Virtue & Vice which is very good. It's co-written by Geoff Johns and David Goyer and drawn by Carlos Pacheco. I would recommend it, as it's pretty easy to get into.

I cannot believe no one here has listed Green Lantern: Rebirth. It is the coolest, most badass Hal Jordan stories ever and one of the most Summer Blockbuster-y comic books I've read in my life. Never has someone punching Batman out been so satisfying for me.

Buy it, now.

It's not that good.

It's decent. I hate the premise of the story myself. Which was solely to make Hal Jordan the Green Lantern again because fans *****ed about it so much.

Granted, it was a decent story, I'm not knocking the story at all, I'm merely upset with the premise.

Latest posts

Back