Runaways movie

Actually, y'all missed my point, I wanted to take the Actress they eventueally cast, for a test run.

I understood perfectly. Anyway, Nico's way sexier than Karolina.

compound said:
You might be able to convince Xavin to take on a form more suited to your preferences

hm..... I suppose he could make himself look like Ronald Reagan....

So, this announcement makes me curious about the long-term plans for Marvel. Right now, their whole slate seems to be gearing up for the 2011 release of Avengers. Favreau has talked about how he sees Iron Man being a trilogy, with two Iron Man movies and Avengers to round it out. The other franchises seem to likewise have a rather limited potential lifespan, particularly Captain America, which is already tied at the hip to the Avengers movie.

So if the Avengers signals the crescendo of this 2011 plan for Marvel Studios, that means Runaways will be the first movie in their post-Avengers slate. So.... It makes me wonder if Runaways will be the flagship for a second phase of movies revolving around each other. It seems like a smart move to follow a blockbuster like Avengers with peripheral films that skirt along the edges of the established film universe but are still firmly a part of it.... and a franchise like Runaways, with a young cast and fresh ideas, could potentially have very long legs.

And if it does follow the first two volumes of Runaways (BKV's been announced to write the script, btw) does that mean we'll get guest appearances from the Avengers characters? And if they follow it with volume three, the third Runaways movie will totally be the TMNT III of the franchise.

Last edited:
So, this announcement makes me curious about the long-term plans for Marvel. Right now, their whole slate seems to be gearing up for the 2011 release of Avengers. Favreau has talked about how he sees Iron Man being a trilogy, with two Iron Man movies and Avengers to round it out. The other franchises seem to likewise have a rather limited potential lifespan, particularly Captain America, which is already tied at the hip to the Avengers movie.

So if the Avengers signals the crescendo of this 2011 plan for Marvel Studios, that means Runaways will be the first movie in their post-Avengers slate. So.... It makes me wonder if Runaways will be the flagship for a second phase of movies revolving around each other. It seems like a smart move to follow a blockbuster like Avengers with peripheral films that skirt along the edges of the established film universe but are still firmly a part of it.... and a franchise like Runaways, with a young cast and fresh ideas, could potentially have very long legs.

And if it does follow the first two volumes of Runaways (BKV's been announced to write the script, btw) does that mean we'll get guest appearances from the Avengers characters? And if they follow it with volume three, the third Runaways movie will totally be the TMNT III of the franchise.

Was TMNT3 good or bad? It's been so long since I've seen that show, the analogy was lost on me.

The Avengers make an appearance at the very, very end of the third volume of Runaways, so a guest appearance wouldn't be too far-fetched.

I don't think everything HAS to be a trilogy.

However I'm sure studios regard it ideal in terms of not just profitability but in terms of appealing to other markets via merchandising and licensing insofar as significantly more attractive to toy developers, videogame publishers, et al., to be promised future revenue stream in order to sweeten the commitment of putting in the resources necessary to develop the products.

Only thing I'm not sure about (but will likely end up being no big deal) is calling the parents "super-villains". Villains, yes. Super? Not really.

I posted the news over at Millarworld and the big talk there now seems to be that Whedon should direct it. I of course made the joke, "If Whedon directs I wonder if the movie will be delayed... :p".

Then someone else suggested Matthew Vaughan, which I replied saying I doubt Marvel would want him to come on to leave another movie later on again for the 3rd time. That's a hat trick I'm sure they'd want to avoid as it would just waste further time.

edit:

Newsarama reports BKV set to write.

Last edited:

However I'm sure studios regard it ideal in terms of not just profitability but in terms of appealing to other markets via merchandising and licensing insofar as significantly more attractive to toy developers, videogame publishers, et al., to be promised future revenue stream in order to sweeten the commitment of putting in the resources necessary to develop the products.

I can sum that all up in these words: it's all about the money.

My knee-jerk reaction to this is that it's never going to happen. Comic book movies are notoriously bad for being announced and never released, or worse, being released as total straight-to-video ****.

But that's actually a really good point. I think you could be right about this. Plus, it gives them a nice long time to get everything right and then there's this:

YES. YES. YES. :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Plus, there's Victor. I think the movie would really be hurt if they tried to fit him and his backstory in, unless BKV completely rewrote his backstory and tied it in to the parents. Actually, he might do that. I can't see how the Loners/Excelsior could be explained and the whole "Who's Victor's daddy?" thing doesn't work in movies at all. What do you think?

Last edited:
Plus, there's Victor. I think the movie would really be hurt if they tried to fit him and his backstory in, unless BKV completely rewrote his backstory and tied it in to the parents. Actually, he might do that. I can't see how the Loners/Excelsior could be explained and the whole "Who's Victor's daddy?" thing doesn't work in movies at all. What do you think?

The "Who's your daddy?" thing could maybe work if Ultron was the villain in the Avengers movie, but I can't see the Loners/Excelsior working too well.

The "Who's your daddy?" thing could maybe work if Ultron was the villain in the Avengers movie, but I can't see the Loners/Excelsior working too well.

Who says it needs to be a straight adaptation?

Or that the big-time villains can't be introduced in whatever Marvel movies are introduced post-Avengers?

I wonder when the film rights to Spider-Man and Daredevil pass back to Marvel Studios. hm...

Last edited:
All I have to say about this is that when announced, all I could think about was me telling Compound that I'd cast everyone from Veronica Mars in a Runaways Dreamcasting round.

Piz is Alex Chase! Wallace is Alex! Veronica is Caroline!

I can sum that all up in these words: it's all about the money.
Duh, yeah.

But I hate the 'It's all about the money' statement because it fails to consider that there are very varied forces at work when it comes to how money works in the movie business. It basically oversimplifies.

In this case, I'm not just talking about 'money' in general, but what I was trying to imply was that merchandisers LIKE the promise that what they're merchandising will spawn sequels because the assets they sink in the first batch of merchandise can be recycled into the development of future products.

For example, development of Spider-Man movie games was significantly assisted by the fact that the later two games were merely building on existing engines that had been given graphical face lifts for later consoles and better PCs.

Of course, the those games were built on existing technology from the PS1 era of Spider-Man games, but let's pretend the first game is where they sink in the assets of developing an engine.

In any case, merchandising requires development and development costs money. If you have a franchise, you spend less money on subsequent designs because many of the initial hurdles had been overcome.

Even toy designers will tell you that, as they no longer have to figure out how to make the toy 'work' or how the figure is designed to reflect the unique properties of the character in question when they design for succeeding installments.

To reduce it all to just 'money' as if that somehow explains all the unique cases to which money applies, is a generalization that disregards that the particulars.

It's masquerading the lack of an explanation underneath a broadly generalized one that does no explanation at all.

Duh, yeah.

But I hate the 'It's all about the money' statement because it fails to consider that there are very varied forces at work when it comes to how money works in the movie business. It basically oversimplifies.

In this case, I'm not just talking about 'money' in general, but what I was trying to imply was that merchandisers LIKE the promise that what they're merchandising will spawn sequels because the assets they sink in the first batch of merchandise can be recycled into the development of future products.

For example, development of Spider-Man movie games was significantly assisted by the fact that the later two games were merely building on existing engines that had been given graphical face lifts for later consoles and better PCs.

Of course, the those games were built on existing technology from the PS1 era of Spider-Man games, but let's pretend the first game is where they sink in the assets of developing an engine.

In any case, merchandising requires development and development costs money. If you have a franchise, you spend less money on subsequent designs because many of the initial hurdles had been overcome.

Even toy designers will tell you that, as they no longer have to figure out how to make the toy 'work' or how the figure is designed to reflect the unique properties of the character in question when they design for succeeding installments.

To reduce it all to just 'money' as if that somehow explains all the unique cases to which money applies, is a generalization that disregards that the particulars.

It's masquerading the lack of an explanation underneath a broadly generalized one that does no explanation at all.

Marry me, you little filipino man.

CBR:

Marvel's Kevin Feige talked to MTV, who discussed the Brian K. Vaughan property. "I love the idea. Brian brought to Marvel one of the best new concepts that we've had in quite some time," Feige said. "It's very different than anything we've done before. I love the idea of kids banding together, discovering this thing, which I think all kids secretly wonder at one time or another whether their parents are good or evil. Well, these guys find out, unfortunately, that their parents happen to be supervillains. I loved, when I was a kid, movies like 'Goonies' and 'Explorers' -- and a non-genre example of that is 'Stand by Me' -- the idea that when I came home from school, I could go on an adventure anywhere."

Latest posts

Back