Saga by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples (SPOILERS)

Maybe if you collectively paid attention you'd realise the discussion went like this:
"I hated it, but everyone likes it, what am I missing?"
"You really hated it after six pages?"
"Yes, I really did. Maybe I'm missing something."
"Oh Bass, you've lost the capacity to accurately gauge the quality of a comic because you're paying too much attention to its form and want to copy McKee. Don't you realise that you're missing something?"

*sigh*

Re: What are the best current 'creator owned' titles?

Maybe if you collectively paid attention you'd realise the discussion went like this:
"I hated it, but everyone likes it, what am I missing?"
"You really hated it after six pages?"
"Yes, I really did. Maybe I'm missing something."
"Oh Bass, you've lost the capacity to accurately gauge the quality of a comic because you're paying too much attention to its form and want to copy McKee. Don't you realise that you're missing something?"

*sigh*

;) I haven't read it so I can't say.

After reading issue 2 of this comic, and here's my thoughts.

It's a Space Opera, plain and simple. You have the backdrop of this interstellar war that has been going on for generations. You have two parents, both with sordid pasts and both were great soldiers, who are now on the run because they love each other AND THAT IS FORBIDDEN. You have fantastical planets (though is does fall into the one planet has one ecosystem sort of thing) and beings, which all seem to be uberpowerful and have their own type of backstory hinted at, and with these dead children introduced in the last book, you have your Guide Character.

The problem, with me anyways, is that Hazel is doing the narration, which means she is never in any danger from the story. Granted, this is a Space Opera, the bad guys could be reading her thoughts while her brain floats in a jar, or she is narrating her death before being shot out of an airlock to her death, but I doubt it.

Also, as with most Space Opera, they are grandiose, huge, massive. Books about Space Opera (good ones) tend to be in the 800 page range, with sequels that are just as big, and here we have a comic sporting about 30 pages (if we are lucky). Which means it's going to go for the long haul. I simply would rather wait for the story to be complete before I really invest into it, but that is me.

Do we have a Saga discussion thread? All of this talk about it should simply go into that thread.

Last edited:

After reading issue 2 of this comic, and here's my thoughts.

It's a Space Opera, plain and simple. You have the backdrop of this interstellar war that has been going on for generations. You have two parents, both with sordid pasts and both were great soldiers, who are now on the run because they love each other AND THAT IS FORBIDDEN. You have fantastical planets (though is does fall into the one planet has one ecosystem sort of thing) and beings, which all seem to be uberpowerful and have their own type of backstory hinted at, and with these dead children introduced in the last book, you have your Guide Character.

The problem, with me anyways, is that Hazel is doing the narration, which means she is never in any danger from the story. Granted, this is a Space Opera, the bad guys could be reading her thoughts while her brain floats in a jar, or she is narrating her death before being shot out of an airlock to her death, but I doubt it.

Also, as with most Space Opera, they are grandiose, huge, massive. Books about Space Opera (good ones) tend to be in the 800 page range, with sequels that are just as big, and here we have a comic sporting about 30 pages (if we are lucky). Which means it's going to go for the long haul. I simply would rather wait for the story to be complete before I really invest into it, but that is me.

So in short, Bass doesn't like it after six pages, Baxter and Zombipanda are telling him he can't enjoy it because he is over analyzing it, Bass distilled their argument into an overly simple statement to make them look bad and E is obsessed with Saga, and I'm "meh."

Do we have a Saga discussion thread? All of this talk about it should simply go into that thread.

It's about the journey, not the destination.

You have two parents, both with sordid pasts and both were great soldiers

Really? I thought they either weren't very good soldiers or barely had a chance to be soldiers.

The problem, with me anyways, is that Hazel is doing the narration, which means she is never in any danger from the story.

...so?

The story at this point is barely about her, it's about her parents.

Yes - all relevant posts have been moved.

Re: Saga by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples

The Stalk!

I haven't read this yet, but I'm catching up on my comics and this is coming up!

Ultimate Houde said:
I thought the Stalk mentioned that she was glad the father was killed, because he had a reputation.

You're right. "Vicious piece of ****" was the exact phrase.

I'm thinking of Alana reading romance novels all the time. Geez now I have to re-read both issues.

Read both issues. Loved them both. I love how much BKV is running with his imagination for creating the characters and worlds. That right now is my favorite thing about the book.

The art is amazing. Fiona is awe-wait for it-some! Awesome!

This is only going to get better.

Last edited:
Ice said:
Read both issues. Loved them both. I love how much BKV is running with his imagination for creating the characters and worlds. That right now is my favorite thing about the book.

Me too. I love the wide range of characters...even just the way they are designed.

Never put a poll up on this site (and I actually don't know if I have the security clearance to do so :) ), but I'd be interested in seeing which of the recent starting series is considered the best: Saga, Manhattan Projects or Thief of Thieves.

I think Saga is amazing so far - its dropped us into a fully realized universe, without needing to tell us how smart it is (like Jeph Loeb on Ultimates 3 - infantile storytelling and inconsistencies were sold as 'mysteries' - this story's subplots are anti-Loebs). Most comics feel like you are watching something being built. Saga has (after only 2 issues) felt like something is being built around you.

Manhattan projects has ALSO been great - I'm a sucker for alternate-history, and so seeing these characters share, yet differentiate so many details with their real-life counterparts (von Braun's broken arm becoming a cyborg limb, Daghlian, who died of radiation poisoning on the project, appearing here as a spectre in a suit, etc) makes me appreciate the research (not yet Alan Moore's level of immersion, but sometimes his references become, rather than support, the story).

If these two ever come out the same week, it'll be a tough choice for what gets read first.

Thief of Thieves didn't grab me, and I only got #1. I like Nick Spencer, and Robert Kirkman has been great with his own stuff. I may wait and check the trade.

Not to hijack the thread, its just that Saga epitomizes a resurgence (for my own interest, at least) in comics - a few months ago my pull list had dwindled (that sounds gross :) ), but comics like these are building the 'buy pile' back up.

Last edited:

Never put a poll up on this site (and I actually don't know if I have the security clearance to do so :) )

You should - I don't think you can put it in the Poll forum but you should be able to do what you're talking about in the Gen. Comics forum. Usually mods will move good polls to the poll forum but with the front page plugin for the site not working that's kind of moot.

I think Saga is amazing so far - its dropped us into a fully realized universe, without needing to tell us how smart it is (like Jeph Loeb on Ultimates 3 - infantile storytelling and inconsistencies were sold as 'mysteries' - this story's subplots are anti-Loebs). Most comics feel like you are watching something being built. Saga has (after only 2 issues) felt like something is being built around you.

I agree completely. It's very intuitive...if that's the right word to use. It's complex but easy to follow.

A Star Wars Shakespearean Space Opera.......sounds interesting enough, i'll have to check it out when it comes out in trade

fenway said:
Never put a poll up on this site (and I actually don't know if I have the security clearance to do so :) ), but I'd be interested in seeing which of the recent starting series is considered the best: Saga, Manhattan Projects or Thief of Thieves.

Manhattan Projects followed closely by Saga. Haven't started Thief yet.

#3 out today!

Spoilers!

The Horrors aren't as horrible as they've been made out to be; they are ghosts who stay around to protect the planet. They can leave if they bond with the soul of a native, so one named Izabel bonds with Hazel (who calls her her first babysitter) to help Alana find snow, which Marko needs for a healing spell because he's about to bleed out after the attack from The Stalk. Baron Robot IV interrogates a prisoner and The Stalk appeals to The Will to partner up to catch Marko and Alana. The Will wants nothing to do with her.

"I hope Lying Cat takes a massive **** on your cape tonight."

One of the letters in the letter column talked about the weird meshing of things from our world in a science fiction outer space opera like this (i.e. iPhones, romance novels, and the way people talk). I thought it was weird at first, too, and I couldn't decide if it bugged my or not, but it really just works. It worked in Star Wars (more the speech and language then objects) so it's nothing new.

This book is really hard for me to read because I tradewait most of my books...monthly installments are killing me.

#4 is out today. And it's fantastically great.

This book is so rich in characters and places that I feel like there could easily be 3 or 4 books set in this universe. There are plenty of books out that I like but this is the only one right now that makes me feel like I'm transported somewhere. It's not just the characters, which are vivid and imaginative, but it's the art. This book is beautiful. The colors, especially, are just incredible.

You realize that after 4 issues the story hasn't progressed much, but it's OK because we're getting so much descriptive setup. The main characters have ran from a warehouse up a mountain, essentially, but it doesn't feel that simple.

The "slave girl" bit surprised me - I wasn't expecting it to get that dark. I like the glimpse into the writer's convictions like that - you can't go out and blow up the heads of people exploit children out in the real world, so you write a story to express that desire.

I love a story like this that feels like anything can happen, and I'm able to read it without over-analyzing it so it's that much more enjoyable. Best book out there. Buy it.

i'm tradewaiting

I trade wait everything else. I do not buy monthlies except for this.

But I also like to vote with my wallet, so I am supporting this book monthly.

Plus it is worth it for the HD version on the current iPad.

Latest posts

Back