Saga by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples (SPOILERS)

Re: Saga by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples

That does probably look real pretty.

I do vote for the comics I like, when I purchase the trades. Still trying to figure out the finances with the new addition to the house.

This title, Manhattan Projects and Casanova are worth supporting in EVERY format. If these three titles were the norm, instead of the exception, comics would be taken more seriously as a storytelling medium. I guess I'm OK that things are the way they are, though - as long as these are being published, I don't need everyone in the world to know (though a little financial compensation for their respective creators is a good thing :) )

fenway said:
If these three titles were the norm, instead of the exception, comics would be taken more seriously as a storytelling medium

Agreed, but I'd care more about stories and books putting out the same level of quality instead of trying to cram as many books as possible into whatever the summer's big crossover is.

This title, Manhattan Projects and Casanova are worth supporting in EVERY format. If these three titles were the norm, instead of the exception, comics would be taken more seriously as a storytelling medium. I guess I'm OK that things are the way they are, though - as long as these are being published, I don't need everyone in the world to know (though a little financial compensation for their respective creators is a good thing :) )

I actually do that on those three books. I get them both physically and digitally, and I plan to get them when a high quality collection comes out, Hardcover/Pseudo-Absolute.

I love the lying cat more and more each issue.

I found the first 5 issues at a local comic store and bought them. Glad I was able to, because a few days after#1 came out I couldn't find it anywhere.

Is this being delayed? I can find any cover or summary or anything for #7, which would come out next month.

I NEED MORE ROBOTS SITTING ON TOILETS.

I found the first 5 issues at a local comic store and bought them. Glad I was able to, because a few days after#1 came out I couldn't find it anywhere.

Is this being delayed? I can find any cover or summary or anything for #7, which would come out next month.

I NEED MORE ROBOTS SITTING ON TOILETS.
Yeah, 7 wasn't solicited. My guess is Fiona Staples can't do 12 issues a year and they're taking a month break between arcs. I don't really have a problem with that stratagy. I'd rather have a skip month than each issue get constantly delayed.

Yeah, 7 wasn't solicited. My guess is Fiona Staples can't do 12 issues a year and they're taking a month break between arcs. I don't really have a problem with that stratagy. I'd rather have a skip month than each issue get constantly delayed.

I reeeeeeally look forward to this book every month, but yeah, I agree that's probably better.

Brian K. Vaughan talks Saga, one of the year's best science fiction comics

Robotic princes pooping placidly, mercenary cats that are also lie detectors, swearing ghosts, spider breasts, and extraterrestrial lovers who are quite literally star-crossed — you will find all this (and more) in author Brian K. Vaughan and artist Fiona Staples' comic book space opera Saga. Here's what Vaughan (Runaways, Lost) and Staples (North 40) recently told io9 about this ripping read.
Since debuting a few months back, Saga has quickly become one of our favorite new comics. Even though this series is filthy with magic, cybernetics, and galactic political intrigue, it's a family drama at its pith.

The comic follows Alana and Marko, an alien couple who find love during wartime. The problem is, they're on opposite sides of an interplanetary war and must defect with their infant daughter Hazel in tow. The new parents are on soon the lam from such malefactors as Prince Robot IV and an enigmatic soldier of fortune known as The Will, and much hilarity and horror ensues. Here's the exclusive scoop from the book's creators.

NOTE: Spoilers for last month's issue of Saga ahead.

Brian, Saga is science fiction, but it's a far cry from the semi-grounded science fiction of your other comics like Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina. Where did the idea to do an "everything and the kitchen sink" space opera come from?
Brian K. Vaughan: I'm a relatively new father, and I was eager to write about parenthood, which is dramatic, terrifying and hilarious when viewed from within, but boring, annoying and Facebook-y when viewed from without.
Still, I thought that by setting our new parents' story during a fantastic galactic war, we could maybe simulate the thrilling highs and lows of creation, whether that's making babies or works of art or whatever.

And Fiona, your artwork is absolutely fantastic. Is each issue an opportunity to let loose with any idea that's been creatively percolating in your head? (For example, dragon trains!)
Fiona Staples: Thank you so much! As tempting as it is, I try to keep myself from going nuts and just scribbling out whatever I think is fun or rad. I focus on sticking to Brian's script, which is fun and rad enough already. The dragon train was his brainchild! I do end up putting my own spin on how everything looks, since the script doesn't go into all that much detail, but I try not to be too self-indulgent unless it happens to work with the story. I'm always conscious that I have a job to do and can't just turn the book into True Blood fan art.

Alana and Marko's newborn daughter Hazel is narrating the series from the future. Brian, why did you set up the narrative in this fashion, and what are the challenges of this structure?
Brian K. Vaughan: Hazel is really the star of the book, so I wanted to give her a "voice" in the story long before her character has an actual one.
I've been reading a lot of children's picture books, and my kids really respond to the stories where the text kind of organically interacts with the visuals, which is a big reason that Fiona letters Hazel's narration directly to the artwork herself. I don't think I've ever written a comic with narration, so there are challenges, but also opportunities.

Now that I think about it, I suppose I'm probably fumbling to rip off To Kill a Mockingbird, which has the best narrator in the history of literature. I always loved the way that a grown-up Scout, narrating from that story's "future," could comment on her past with both the wisdom of age and also the immediacy of her own childhood. *******, that's a great book.
The series seems to be eschewing panels for larger, sweeping layouts. Could you elaborate on the general design process for each issue, Fiona?
Fiona Staples: I like to use page-wide panels as establishing shots, and we make use of them pretty often because we're constantly introducing weird new scenery. Also, whenever there's more than one person in a scene it's easier to put them in a horizontal panel. That's my main design consideration — "What shape of box do these things fit into?" I figure out how best to arrange the figures and other elements to convey the action, then decide what shape the panel needs to be, then smush the panels around until they fit on the page. My process is to scribble "pre-thumbnails" in the margins of the script as I read through it, then do actual thumbnails which I send to Brian for review. I relish this stage because I do the thumbnails on paper, which means I can leave the house.

Also, please elaborate on your design for the pleasure planet Sextillion (not-safe-for-work zaniness here). That's been one of the series' gonzo high points thus far.Fiona Staples: Sextillion was a spot where the script was pretty open. Brian described the surface of the planet as empty and shiny like a ball-bearing, and the underground would be kind of like Amsterdam's Red Light District. I've been to the Red Light District and from what I can remember it was pretty cool, so I went for a candy-coloured version of that. I populated the area with goofy, silly sex things — furries, costumes, feeders — to shock readers slightly but also make them giggle. Because of course, the real shock comes a few pages later, when we meet Slave Girl. I wanted Sextillion to be as ridiculous as possible to make her reveal a big splash of cold water.
One of the series' standout characters is The Will, the morally conflicted "Freelancer." What's in store for him? Will we delve further into the weirdness of Freelancer society?
Brian K. Vaughan: We will definitely be seeing much more of The Will and his Lying Cat, though maybe not in the way you might expect. And yeah, our bounty hunters' union, inspired a little bit by the Writers Guild of America, has a very important role to play in our weird universe.

And Fiona, your character design for The Stalk was equally great, bummed she kicked the bucket. How did you go about making this horrific spider-mercenary-monster also a sexy vamp?Fiona Staples: I'm equally bummed! Eight eyes and eight hands means four times the opportunity for expressiveness (if my math is right) so I tried to take advantage of that. I loved how she could use different pairs of hands to multitask — chat on the phone and shoot giant pigs, surrender and at the same time try to pull a gun. As for making her a vamp, it's pretty easy to draw a woman to look sexual. Big lips, big hair and topless are some obvious, bordering on lazy, markers for sexuality! And let's not forget her sassy attitude. Personality counts.

Brian, your series tend to wrap with sixty issues. How far is Saga planned to go for, and where are you in the scripting process?
Brian K. Vaughan: Well, the book is called Saga, which would be a lousy title for a miniseries. If readers stick around to support us, I'm hoping the book lasts longer than Y: The Last Manand Ex Machina combined. I've already written the last page of the last issue, but I hope we won't reach that endpoint for many years to come.
Getting to see new pages from Fiona Staples each week has been the highlight of my career, so I'd love to do this series with her for a very long time, at least until she inevitably collapses from exhaustion at her futuristic art-tablet thing.
Fiona, can you tease us with any particularly zany visuals you've illustrated for upcoming issues?
Fiona Staples: Brian wrote a new creature into issue #7, and when I read the description, I realized that Sextillion was just a test. Now that he knows I have no standards of decency and will draw literally anything to keep a job, readers are going to see some terrible, terrible things.

And what's your favorite thing to illustrate for Saga?
Fiona Staples: New landscapes are always exciting, and I love it when Special Agent Gale drops in. He's that Landfall guy who appeared in #1 to boss around Prince Robot. I don't exactly know why, but I really enjoy drawing his arrogant, jerkoff face. Someday I'd like to draw a spinoff series about Gale going about his day, being super mean to people.
And finally, can Marvel just make the damn Runaways movie?
Brian K. Vaughan: Oh, thanks for asking, but I'm afraid I don't know anything, though I certainly wish them the best. Right now, my primary concern is making new things.

Saga #6 hits stands this Wednesday, August 15. The first issue of Saga will be available free on Comixology later this month.

#6 is out today. Brilliant as usual.

And the letters column answered the question about the lack of solicitation for #7 - TWO months. The trade of the first volume is out in October. BKV specifically said he doesn't want to write fill-in scripts for "lesser artists" to that's not happening. Makes sense, given the amount of story potential already shown in the first six issues. Still, it's going to suck not having this for two months.

Again, the story is full of big ideas with brilliant execution. I love how these concepts - rocket ships that are trees, robot royalty - are things that could easily have been dreamt up by an 8 year old but it's combine with brilliant storytelling.

I knew something was up with that romance novel.

Prince Robot IV has the ability to extend his body to plug into computers - cool.

The Will is now after Prince Robot and everything he loves.

Marko sacrificed his sword to make the rocket ship tree take off (loved the dialogue there).

The ship was boarded mid-flight by attackers who turned out to be Marko's parents.

Two. Months.

The Will saying he was about to kill the robot and everything he loves was AWESOME! Made me immediately change his voice in my mind from a Joseph Gordon Levitt-ish chatterer to a Liam Neeson-esque seether.

The Will saying he was about to kill the robot and everything he loves was AWESOME! Made me immediately change his voice in my mind from a Joseph Gordon Levitt-ish chatterer to a Liam Neeson-esque seether.

I hear it more gritty, more like a Jason Statham character.

We should do Saga movie casting.

I hear it more gritty, more like a Jason Statham character.

We should do Saga movie casting.

I can def see that. The condescending use of "boy" sent me toward Liam... A casting would be pretty fun.

Saga is great. I can't wait for the trade, as well as the long term approach to the title. BKV has said he plans for the series to run longer than Y The Last Man and Ex Machina. Can't wait for the full story (love his endings), but also looking forward to the hopefully very long ride.

CBR Interview!

COMMENTARY TRACK: BRIAN K. VAUGHAN PLOTS HIS "SAGA"

Brian K. Vaughan plans to top himself with "Saga," his latest creator-owned comic from Image Comics. The writer not only has designs on making the series span the cosmos, but also plans to write more issues of this comic than his previous long-form original efforts like "Ex Machina" and "Y: The Last Man." Also, unlike those other books, he plans on telling the entire epic "Saga" with one artist, his partner and co-creator, Fiona Staples.

For those unfamiliar with the series, it follows the adventures of Marko and Alana, lovers from opposite sides of a space war who just had a baby named Hazel who happens to narrate the story. With the sixth issue of the acclaimed series out this week, Vaughan and Staples have already tackled everything from an on-page birth, disemboweled ghost children, a guild of assassins, a cat who can tell if you're lying, a TV-headed robot monarchy and plenty of other wild ideas.

The series will take a brief hiatus after the sixth issue which will give new readers time to pick up the trade when it goes on sale October 10, but fear not -- the duo will reunite in November for more "Saga." CBR News spoke with Vaughan about the series thus far, its roots in his childhood imagination, and his honest representation of parenthood.

CBR News: Many of the parent-child moments feel very real, from Izabel telling Alana it's okay to really whack a baby when burping to the birth scene. How much of that comes from your personal experience as a dad?

Brian K. Vaughan: Thank you! There are definitely moments inspired by my own experiences as a new dad, but I also recognize that nothing is more punishingly boring than listening to anecdotes about other people's children, so I try to hide any moments of reality behind multiple layers of crazy make-em-ups and Fiona Staples goodness.

There was some flak online because of the birth being shown in the book and Alana breastfeeding on the cover, did that come as a surprise? While those elements are utilitarian in the story, they also seem like they had some commentary behind them, is that the case?

Oh, I think any controversy was largely false outrage, like most internet kerfuffles. The vast majority of readers have been really supportive of how we've portrayed motherhood so far. I wouldn't say there's any "commentary" behind showing breastfeeding, I just think it's true to life, dramatic, and more interesting than seeing another graphic decapitation or whatever (though I like a nice beheading, too).

Some books like this will frontload all kinds of information in the first issue, but you kicked off with a more in medias res approach, starting literally at the beginning for the narrator. Was that always the intent from the beginning?

Yeah, definitely. Marko and Alana happen to be the stars of the story at this point, but "Saga" is really about Hazel, so it made sense to start her story at its beginning.

In our first interview you said you'd buy back the first issue if people didn't like it, but did you actually have any takers?

No, I'm thrilled to say! And I'll extend that same offer to each and every issue of our entire run. If you ever hate a chapter of "Saga" for any reason, just send it to my P.O. box in the back of the book, and I'll refund your three bucks. Marvel, DC and Dark Horse are putting out so many great books right now, I really appreciate that people are also taking a chance on cool new books from places like Image, and I want those readers to pick up our book with confidence.

Also, I'm just going to resell any returned issues on eBay, and use the profits to buy more gin.

"Y: The Last Man" and "Ex Machina" both ended at milestone issues, do you have a specific number of issues in mind for "Saga" or is it more open ended at this point?

I've already gone ahead and written the final page of the final issue, but I hope we won't reach that endpoint for many years to come. If readers continue to support us, and if Fiona doesn't get too sick of me, I hope this will be the longest series I've ever had the privilege of writing.

As far as plotting out a long form story like this, how do you keep track of everything? Notecards, wipe board, scrawling on the walls? Do you use the same method you used for "Y" and "Ex?"

No, I've been thinking about this universe since I was a little kid, so it's all in my head. I have difficulty remembering my immediate family members' birthdays, but sadly, I know the exchange rate for all of my fake planets' imaginary currencies. I should be shunned.

With five issues released and the trade solicited, has the book met your expectations sales-wise?

No, sales have far exceeded my expectations, thankfully. This is an original fantasy book with no superheroes, two non-white leads and an opening chapter featuring graphic robot sex. I thought we might be cancelled by our third issue. But comics retailers are amazing, and really went to the mattresses for us. And digital has been a whole new world of awesome. "Saga" is sometimes the bestselling book on Comixology the week it comes out, which is nuts. I'm so grateful to everyone who's taken a chance on the book.

How many of the customs and ideas of the various races did you have figured out going in? Some writers will know it all ahead of time while others will throw things in that they have to figure out down the line, what side do you fall on?

I guess I have a lot of things figured out in an abstract, writerly way, but I have absolutely zero artistic talent, so I rely heavily on my co-creator's skill and imagination to make all of these crazy ideas feel tangible and real.

On a similar note, magic is one of those things that works best when it has rules. We've seen a few like needing a secret to make a spell, how many more rules do you have mapped out?

Lots! I love rules, especially when it comes to magic. In "Runaways," Nico could never cast the same spell twice, which really helped put a dramatic regulator on her powers. Similarly, as we'll learn in "Saga," everything has a cost.

Was the handwritten-like, non-boxed narration a part of the idea from the beginning?

Yep. I haven't written too much narration in past comics, in part because of how clunky and inorganic those text boxes can sometimes feel when plastered over nice artwork. But I've been reading a lot of children's books recently, and I love when authors will playfully integrate their text with the images. Also, I enjoy stealing devices from innocent children's literature to use in filthy comics for adult weirdos.

The Will and his Lying Cat -- what can you tell us about their genesis?

I have no idea where they came from, but I've fallen deeply in love with them ever since I saw Fiona's first interpretation of the duo. We will be seeing much more of them.

Any story set in space is going to draw comparisons to "Star Wars" for better or worse, how do you handle that as a writer from a creative perspective?

Oh, I love "Star Wars," and welcome any comparisons, even though I think we're completely different stories for completely different audiences. I was probably as influenced by "Star Wars" as George Lucas was by old "Flash Gordon" serials -- which is to say, a lot, but not nearly as much as we were each probably influenced by our parents, childhood fears, political leanings, etcetera.

On that note, do you have the Wreath's language mapped out like George Lucas supposedly does with his aliens?

Por iuj personoj, tiu estos tre amuza demando. Ankaŭ, la verkisto de Dezirataj estas malpurega kapro.

When you sit down to you write an issue, what's your approach? Do you figure out the beats you want to hit and then a lot a certain amount of pages to them or do you just go and see where you wind up?

I always know the beginning, middle and end of each issue, and I tend to quickly write an overly long first draft, then spend a long time slowly editing that mess down into 22 pages of hopefully just the good stuff.

When we talked before you said that some of the names and places from childhood imaginings made it into the book. Can you tell us a few examples from the first five issues?

Well, royal robots with old-fashioned television heads were definitely something I thought of when I was little, though I didn't think about making them hump until I was much older and less mature.

Prince Robot might be one of the coolest designs around, it's fun knowing how long he's been in your head. What was the design process like for him and his people with Fiona?

Thanks! Like I said, I've been thinking about this royal family for a while, so I sent Fiona very specific reference for the kinds of old television sets I liked, but the robots' gorgeous outfits, postures, and performances are all Fiona. Clearly, she can make anything look cool.

The book has some pretty intense moments, but the worst so far has been the reveal of the Slave Girl, a six year-old prostitute. How will she play into things moving forward?

Slave Girl is vitally important to the story. Stay tuned.

You and Fiona are taking a break between the sixth and seventh issues, how long will that last?

Next month is a skip month, the trade comes out in October, and we return monthly with Chapter Seven and an all-new storyline in November. I know short breaks like these suck for readers, but this means Fiona can continue doing every aspect of the artwork without us having to rely on distracting fill-in artists, so we greatly appreciate everyone's patience. As Fiona's kick-ass cover suggests, it'll be worth the wait.

What can you tell us about what's coming up in the series?

We're taking a very brief hiatus after Chapter Six so Fiona and I can get ahead and return to our monthly pace with Chapter Seven, which begins a whole new story. I hate spoilers, but I'll say that a big part of the appeal of setting a comic in a vast, sci-fi/fantasy universe is that Fiona and I get to tell radically different kinds of stories with each new planet that we visit, as you'll see with our next arc. Poor Fiona just had to draw probably the very worst thing I've ever described in a script, so I'm excited for readers to share in her horror.

#7 is out today!

"Mother, please." Ugh. Disturbing.

But this is another fantastic issue on par with every other so far. I love how I can see all the different directions they can go with this.

STILL MY FAVORITE BOOK.

Latest posts

Back