Saga by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples (SPOILERS)

E

Excelsior Club
I thought we had a thread for this. Brian Vaughan returns to comics and we don't have a thread for this?!

I am a little late to the party here. I usually read comics a couple weeks after they come out but this is one I wanted to make a point to read as soon as I could.

I. LOVED. IT.

It is so incredibly imaginative with it's characters and it's take on storytelling. I don't think I've ever seen a comic this varied and it's only the first issue. BKV keeps mentioning how it compares or how similar it is to Star Wars and it really does have that level of imagination but the story itself is not so..."normal".

Basically there is a galactic war. Our narrator was born during the galactic war to parents of warring species (or maybe they aren't at war themselves, but they don't get along). The story actually begins with a sort of graphic, sort of gratuitous childbirth scene (it reads like every other gratuitous graphic scene BKV has done) and soon after it happens the parents are found and have to escape. In the meantime there are various groups and people including freelance bounty hunters looking for them.

This might already be my favorite comic. You read so many comics and it gets to the point where sometimes it's hard to keep paying attention to "new" characters and stories...but this really does feel new and different.

I'm really impressed. I'm normally a tradewaiter but I think I'll go to the comic store and pick up this issue tomorrow.

Had to order this book online because my comic shop was sold out the first day. The owner only ordered a few copies and didn't realize BKV was apart of it. After waiting for it tip arrive in the mail it didn't take long and when I started reading it the pages were awesome the writing and art felt perfect together. Can't wait to see what's next.

Re: Saga by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples

It's no Ex Machina #1 but it was still pretty fantastic. The writing and the art are both great and the series seems like it has a lot of potential (and I'm glad it does considering BKV wants this to go on for hundreds of issues). The bounty hunter is already my favourite character.

manthony8899 said:
Had to order this book online because my comic shop was sold out the first day. The owner only ordered a few copies and didn't realize BKV was apart of it. After waiting for it tip arrive in the mail it didn't take long and when I started reading it the pages were awesome the writing and art felt perfect together. Can't wait to see what's next.

Welcome!

I bought this on Comixology last night because they have it in HD and it looks incredible. I still think I want the actual comic, too. I might go pick that up today.

I like all of the characters but I think so far Alana is my favorite.

My life is now measured by the amount of time between Saga issues.

Re: What are the best current 'creator owned' titles?

Saga by Brian K. Vaughan is only one issue old but is already great.

You are obessed.

Saga is literally the first book since The Ultimates that has me legitimately excited to read comics and to where I look forward to the next issue coming out.

Well, since All Star Superman, anyway.

I read SAGA and gave up about six pages in, skimming the rest. I couldn't even begin to care about it. I thought it was very poor indeed, sad to say. I wonder what it is I'm missing about it.

You're missing what is beyond the first six pages.

I read SAGA and gave up about six pages in, skimming the rest. I couldn't even begin to care about it. I thought it was very poor indeed, sad to say. I wonder what it is I'm missing about it.

Sounds like you didn't really give it a chance.

Six pages.

Seriously?

Just bought and read #2.

I think one of the things I like most about this is that it almost reads as a parody. Obviously there is a very touching story about love/family (shown more in #1 than #2) but it's poking fun at stories like Star Wars in a reverent manner. Some of the characters and the things they say are pretty ridiculous. And BKV is toeing a line that keeps the book from being a joke.

Anyway, #2 is great.

When I say I gave up, I mean I stopped really reading it. I know that they escape and they're kid is going to be semi-important in the future, but I gave up really paying attention because I couldn't care about anything. I could go into why but I don't see the point in doing so as all it could do is make you dislike something you like (me criticizing it is hardly going to make anyone like it, if it has an effect on anyone's opinion at all). But I really thought it was atrocious. I'll give it another shot. Maybe I missed something.

But, yes, I can gauge overall quality, most of the time, from the first few pages/minutes by how they deal with exposition. In media res openings are often a crutch. I felt this is the case with SAGA.

When I say I gave up, I mean I stopped really reading it. I know that they escape and they're kid is going to be semi-important in the future, but I gave up really paying attention because I couldn't care about anything. I could go into why but I don't see the point in doing so as all it could do is make you dislike something you like (me criticizing it is hardly going to make anyone like it, if it has an effect on anyone's opinion at all). But I really thought it was atrocious. I'll give it another shot. Maybe I missed something.

But, yes, I can gauge overall quality, most of the time, from the first few pages/minutes by how they deal with exposition. In media res openings are often a crutch. I felt this is the case with SAGA.

Uh....

You think maybe your obsession with the process of writing has affected your capacity to enjoy stories?

Uh....

You think maybe your obsession with the process of writing has affected your capacity to enjoy stories?

Yeah...I don't really know what to say, Bass, when you say things like how you don't really want to talk about what you don't like because you don't want to shape anyone's opinions (even though that kind of negates the point of a discussion board), and while everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, your reaction is surprising. This isn't an X-Men comic...it's pretty universally praised and accepted as something special. Of course that's not a reason to like it, but it kind of indicates the quality of the book.

Uh....

I guarantee thats whats happening. I've seen it happen before and I've even gone through it myself to an extent (The movie making of a year and a half ago killed me on a lot of things.) To steal an overused phrase you stop seeing the forest and see nothing but trees.

I guarantee thats whats happening. I've seen it happen before and I've even gone through it myself to an extent (The movie making of a year and a half ago killed me on a lot of things.) To steal an overused phrase you stop seeing the forest and see nothing but trees.

I've been in the same boat.

And this totally sounds like "It sucks because Robert McKee says so."

Latest posts

Back