:roll: god I hate explaining things over and over again to people who clearly wont get it.

In simple terms my point was Movies have been doing this for years , the comics , the tv shows the cartoons the games all expanding on the timeline of said movie. and AGAIN unless someone says 100% that something never happened they can do pretty much what they like and have been for years.

Hopefully you get it now or do I need to go get the hand puppets :lol:

Edit : Sorry if sounds like i'm insulting you , I'm not I was joking around while explaining point.

Then. . .yes, I got it the first time. And, to illustrate your point, you used a bad example. An example where, often, things are shoehorned in to try to make sense. And it often doesn't. I pointed this out because I think this series is not only unnecessary, but feels contrived. Just like a lot of Star Wars stories do.

Last edited:
New info

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/798/798086p1.html

according to the guy working on it

GN TV: Are you working within the continuity of the Terminator movies, specifically Terminator 3?

Friedman: We're gonna go off on our own. I think the thing about T3 is, obviously there was just no Sarah Connor and that's something the fans were never happy with. I don't even think the people who made T3 were happy with that. It just wasn't a choice of theirs. You know, Linda Hamilton was going through some things and didn't want to be a part of it. They had a script at one point I know; there was a T3 that had Sarah in it. I've never read it. I don't know anything about it. But I know that they did and they wanted to do that. They wanted it to be kind of her trilogy, and it never could be. So I think that my feeling was this TV series to me sort of serves as the third act to that trilogy - what could have happened had we followed that after T2. So I almost think of this as T3. To me it takes the place of T3. But also I think that sort of in the spirit of Terminator, it's an alternate timeline. I know a lot of people get very worked up about the continuity and the canon and all that stuff. What I try to do is stay very, very true to the first two movies and then sort of take it from there. But always remain true to the spirit of everyone's intent and again, take some time with this woman and explore what maybe would have happened.

IGN TV: So we shouldn't expect her to get leukemia in Season 3?

Friedman: You should not expect her to get leukemia in Season 3… Unless Lena really pisses me off.

I guess that fixes continuity issues people had right?

Y'know the ending of T2? The highway as Sarah Connor says maybe humanity can learn the value of human life? Originally the ending was Sarah Connor in the park that gets melted during her nuclear nightmare; she's an old woman, and says, "It never happened. We stopped judgement day." They went for the better, more ambiguous ending.

But the continuation of the Terminator franchise beyond T2... I'd be okay with it if they really could find a way for it to work that doesn't require a retcon or dismissal of continuity. T3 just went, "Oh, Cyberdyne wasn't really behind it" contradicting the first two films entirely. Really aggravated me.

I don't think that's the case at all. The idea is that no matter what happens, the future can't be changed. No matter how many times John and Sarah Conner try to stop the rise of the machines, it's still going to happen. We're just too dependent on technology for it to not happen. I don't think that's contradictory to the first two films at all.

I see this in the same way as I do other TV series from films, such as Stargate SG-1, or Buffy. It's an entirely separate universe branch. For example, in BtVS, a great deal of the events from the film were ignored or changed in the TV show, such as there only being one Watcher being altered to an entire Council, the 'Slayer Birthmark' and of course the burning down of the high school.
I remember hearing plans to do a sequel to Stargate that completely ignores the last 10 years of SG-1 as well.

I have also just watched the pilot to The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Its surprisingly good from what I have seen, Summer Glau is great, and Lena Headley makes a good Sarah Connor.

Spoiler time...
The episode starts set in 1999, but after a terminator attack that Cameron (Summer Glau) saves John from, Cameron reveals that Skynet is still being built but doesn't know who by and will go online in 2011. A time machine that was built into the vault of a bank by someone John sent back 'just in case', sends Cameron, Sarah and John into 2007 to find and stop Skynet from being activated.

I just saw the commercials and it just looks stupid. Terminator 2 had a great style which is not being translated to this serious, it looks too much like all the other Fox shows. I hate when they abandon original styles when doing spin offs

I
The episode starts set in 1999, but after a terminator attack that Cameron (Summer Glau) saves John from, Cameron reveals that Skynet is still being built but doesn't know who by and will go online in 2011. A time machine that was built into the vault of a bank by someone John sent back 'just in case', sends Cameron, Sarah and John into 2007 to find and stop Skynet from being activated.

Wait... what? Talk about jumping through hoops for no reason. I'll still give it a chance, mainly because I'll be starving for scripted TV by then, but my expectations have been lowered.

Oh I gave it a shot....and it sucked.

Kinda.

There are so many problems with this show that I really don't know where to start.

Some random thoughts:

Sarah Connor
Lena Headley is trying too hard. She's not bad....but it's just so obvious that she doesn't have that toughness factor that Linda Hamilton had. Lena is just trying too hard.

John Connor
The kid playing John is actually pretty good. He's got the premise of the character and is taking the role in the direction I would've figured he'd go. He's obviously a tough kid...but he can't let go of his humanity and need for human connection like his mom. So despite the tough loner act, later on in the show he shows his age and breaks down like any other teenager who is told he's gonna be humanity's savior would......he can't handle it and just wants his mom to make it all go away.

Lady Terminator (LT)
Having Lady Terminator (LT for short) as an undercover schoolgirl to protect John was a decent idea.....but then they ****ed that up by having **** go down the second time we see her. From that point the character loses all appeal and the creators seem as if they can't decide whether she should have any kinda of teenage female personality or whether she should be a stone cold robot who doesn't understand the little quirks of humanity.

Then they do the dumbest thing I've seen.....John asks her what model she is since she seems "different". She takes a nacho chip and eats and replies with "I am different." just so matter of factly. UGH! Are you serious? The ambiguous robot angle? **** you FOX.

And now Skynet is back. But how? I thought they destroyed it all? Come to find out Skynet is back because of John and Sarah's actions. Sure the Cyberdine robot arm and chip was destroyed......but since they blew up the new robot in the bank vault in the end and it's remains scattered while they jumped time---obviously the feds picked up the remains and are having new scientists reverse engineer the thing. Thus having the Skynet Project continue. Thus allowing the future war to happen. Thus allowing a new terminator to come back in time to kill John.

It's a vicious cycle.

Either way....the show wasn't poorly done....but I think it's just so contrived and unwarranted.

Sigh....I seriously doubt I'll tune in to see how this premiere ends tomorrow.

I'll probably keep watching it because there isn't much else to see on TV and while I don't think the show is great, it's not horrible.

And now Skynet is back. But how? I thought they destroyed it all? Come to find out Skynet is back because of John and Sarah's actions. Sure the Cyberdine robot arm and chip was destroyed......but since they blew up the new robot in the bank vault in the end and it's remains scattered while they jumped time---obviously the feds picked up the remains and are having new scientists reverse engineer the thing. Thus having the Skynet Project continue. Thus allowing the future war to happen. Thus allowing a new terminator to come back in time to kill John.

. . .so, they took the same plot of Terminator 3 and made it into a TV show.

Uh. . .why?

Either way....the show wasn't poorly done....but I think it's just so contrived and unwarranted.

. . .so, they took the same plot of Terminator 3 and made it into a TV show.

Uh. . .why?

That is the whole damned problem with the show.

It doesn't really make any sense.

Let's forgo that it ignores T3 (yay!) and the ending of T2 (boo!) - that kinda has to be a given. The show doesn't make sense internally.

First of all, until the two Terminators show up... the Connors think JUDGEMENT DAY is over - that's why they're SURPRISED to see Terminators.

This begs the question... WHY ARE THEY RUNNING?! When she has her fiance and they're happy and everything - why do they run? Because Sarah's just a bit crazy. It's been seven years since T2. And she's known him for 6 months. And all evidence states - Judgement Day ain't happening. So why are they running BEFORE they meet the Terminators?

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be all happy and what not, then the Terminators show up and they have to run, leaving behind the father/husband guy without explanation? And what does he see when he gets home? The house trashed, Sarah and John gone. The FBI show up and say, she's crazy. He's completely lost. He mounts a campaign to find them (like that Madeline girl who went missing) and tries and tries, so that when Sarah shows up, seven years later, it turns his life inside out.

Let's also factor in that the campaign makes it HARDER for Sarah and John to go into hiding, which is cool.

So why are they running before the Terminators? Um... they just are. Obviously, they've read the script and know Judgement Day is still coming.

Also, Lady Terminator (who's called Cameron which is cute homage to James Cameron) doesn't know who builds Skynet. Did John Connor leave FOX in charge of reprogramming her to leave out VITAL INFORMATION?!!?!?! John Connor LIVED THROUGH the period? WHY WOULD HE LEAVE THAT OUT? They say LT is not programmed for that - i.e. when she's reprogrammed, they LEFT THAT OUT. WTF?!

Guess what - easily avoided. Send back a HUMAN instead of a TERMINATOR. A human might not know since records would be sketchy at best. It's slightly more believable. Plus - sending a human back would be cooler.

The Terminator franchise rests on the fact that The Terminator is stupidly mega-hard and can kill the Connors. Sending back a Terminator to help the Connors kinda evens it out.

Which is why the T-1000 made the Arnie Terminator look like a Commodore 64.

In this - we have a T-800(ish) Terminator (played by a particularly cool actor - he really did a good job) and a girl Terminator that's the same model (more or less - it has "cute mode" or some ****). How's that upping the odds?

I think it would've been cool if this was the SECOND time jump. The first went to 1984, but the second went to 1999 because the records were clearer. This would mean you could get away with something weaker than T-1000 or something similar Arnie's Terminator. Plus - why the allies send a human back (they have one Terminator and they send that to 1992 to fight the T-1000, the biggest threat). So we get a human.

Also - why timeport to 2007? It doesn't really make any sense. They go there to stop Skynet - which won't exist for 4 years. Is that what's going to happen? In the fourth season that fight Skynet? What about the other three? Why would you CUT SHORT your lead? Think about it - they have 4 years to prep to kill it when they could've had.... 12 years if they'd stayed in 1999. Why not timeport to the post-apocalyptic future, thus ENSURING Connor survives to lead the resistance? (Granted that means you go, "OK - Skynet wins. But at least our general who will liberate us is safe!") Why the hell 2007? How contrived.

Bah - whatever. Some of it was nice - I liked the FBI agent a great deal. And the evil Terminator was pretty cool. They kept the Terminator font which was a nice touch.

But I don't see how it's sustainable. Already, the Terminator is a 'villain of the week'. Cameron can keep it at bay for a long time until they find the superweapon to kill it. Also, if Skynet keeps sending them back, it compounds the attitude that y'know - they're disposable. The show then is going to have what? Evil military officials and prototype skynet robots as villains? Is this show going to be one long search for a computer programmer?

We already saw this. Twice. And it was only good the first time. I don't get what the point of this show is, or how it's sustainable. It just feels like an empty cash-in.

There's maybe stuff they could do - the bank vault for example makes me think a cool 2-parter would be some kind of temporal puzzle which the Connors have to work out.

But I think the show is just going to be the Connors running away from a "Terminator of the week" and having their asses saved by Cameron.

I dunno. I'm gonna watch the second episode because I hope it's just "pilot-itis" (for a lot of shows, the pilot sucks), but I doubt it. Just what the hell are they going to do every week?

What is this show going to be about?

I can't see how this isn't destined for cancellation after it's first season. I don't understand how it can sustain itself. As a long-running arc-driven show, it doesn't work. As a formulaic serial genre, it doesn't work. What the hell is it going to do?

I would love it if it turned out to be awesome. So I'm going to give episode 2 a chance.

That is the whole damned problem with the show.

It doesn't really make any sense.

Let's forgo that it ignores T3 (yay!) and the ending of T2 (boo!) - that kinda has to be a given. The show doesn't make sense internally.

First of all, until the two Terminators show up... the Connors think JUDGEMENT DAY is over - that's why they're SURPRISED to see Terminators.

This begs the question... WHY ARE THEY RUNNING?! When she has her fiance and they're happy and everything - why do they run? Because Sarah's just a bit crazy. It's been seven years since T2. And she's known him for 6 months. And all evidence states - Judgement Day ain't happening. So why are they running BEFORE they meet the Terminators?

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to be all happy and what not, then the Terminators show up and they have to run, leaving behind the father/husband guy without explanation? And what does he see when he gets home? The house trashed, Sarah and John gone. The FBI show up and say, she's crazy. He's completely lost. He mounts a campaign to find them (like that Madeline girl who went missing) and tries and tries, so that when Sarah shows up, seven years later, it turns his life inside out.

Let's also factor in that the campaign makes it HARDER for Sarah and John to go into hiding, which is cool.

So why are they running before the Terminators? Um... they just are. Obviously, they've read the script and know Judgement Day is still coming.

Also, Lady Terminator (who's called Cameron which is cute homage to James Cameron) doesn't know who builds Skynet. Did John Connor leave FOX in charge of reprogramming her to leave out VITAL INFORMATION?!!?!?! John Connor LIVED THROUGH the period? WHY WOULD HE LEAVE THAT OUT? They say LT is not programmed for that - i.e. when she's reprogrammed, they LEFT THAT OUT. WTF?!

Guess what - easily avoided. Send back a HUMAN instead of a TERMINATOR. A human might not know since records would be sketchy at best. It's slightly more believable. Plus - sending a human back would be cooler.

The Terminator franchise rests on the fact that The Terminator is stupidly mega-hard and can kill the Connors. Sending back a Terminator to help the Connors kinda evens it out.

Which is why the T-1000 made the Arnie Terminator look like a Commodore 64.

In this - we have a T-800(ish) Terminator (played by a particularly cool actor - he really did a good job) and a girl Terminator that's the same model (more or less - it has "cute mode" or some ****). How's that upping the odds?

I think it would've been cool if this was the SECOND time jump. The first went to 1984, but the second went to 1999 because the records were clearer. This would mean you could get away with something weaker than T-1000 or something similar Arnie's Terminator. Plus - why the allies send a human back (they have one Terminator and they send that to 1992 to fight the T-1000, the biggest threat). So we get a human.

Also - why timeport to 2007? It doesn't really make any sense. They go there to stop Skynet - which won't exist for 4 years. Is that what's going to happen? In the fourth season that fight Skynet? What about the other three? Why would you CUT SHORT your lead? Think about it - they have 4 years to prep to kill it when they could've had.... 12 years if they'd stayed in 1999. Why not timeport to the post-apocalyptic future, thus ENSURING Connor survives to lead the resistance? (Granted that means you go, "OK - Skynet wins. But at least our general who will liberate us is safe!") Why the hell 2007? How contrived.

Bah - whatever. Some of it was nice - I liked the FBI agent a great deal. And the evil Terminator was pretty cool. They kept the Terminator font which was a nice touch.

But I don't see how it's sustainable. Already, the Terminator is a 'villain of the week'. Cameron can keep it at bay for a long time until they find the superweapon to kill it. Also, if Skynet keeps sending them back, it compounds the attitude that y'know - they're disposable. The show then is going to have what? Evil military officials and prototype skynet robots as villains? Is this show going to be one long search for a computer programmer?

We already saw this. Twice. And it was only good the first time. I don't get what the point of this show is, or how it's sustainable. It just feels like an empty cash-in.

There's maybe stuff they could do - the bank vault for example makes me think a cool 2-parter would be some kind of temporal puzzle which the Connors have to work out.

But I think the show is just going to be the Connors running away from a "Terminator of the week" and having their asses saved by Cameron.

I dunno. I'm gonna watch the second episode because I hope it's just "pilot-itis" (for a lot of shows, the pilot sucks), but I doubt it. Just what the hell are they going to do every week?

What is this show going to be about?

I can't see how this isn't destined for cancellation after it's first season. I don't understand how it can sustain itself. As a long-running arc-driven show, it doesn't work. As a formulaic serial genre, it doesn't work. What the hell is it going to do?

I would love it if it turned out to be awesome. So I'm going to give episode 2 a chance.

Everything Bass said.

The part for why they're running made sense....kinda. I know they were on the run because they were wanted for the destruction of the Miles' building and his death.

But it still doesn't make sense that Sarah would think they're safe enough to settle down with a guy. So her freak out when he says he loves her just make the whole thing silly.

And so help me....if John and LT become romantically involved! :furious:

Everything Bass said.

The part for why they're running made sense....kinda. I know they were on the run because they were wanted for the destruction of the Miles' building and his death.

But it still doesn't make sense that Sarah would think they're safe enough to settle down with a guy. So her freak out when he says he loves her just make the whole thing silly.

And so help me....if John and LT become romantically involved! :furious:
At least Summer Glau is nummy.

That's about the only good thing about the pilot.

Yup, the only thing good about the pilot.

Just began watching episode 2.

I have a terrible feeling that "John from the future" is going to be this wonderful guy that they can just go, "Dude! We need an out!" and then, BAM! "Future John knew we needed a flux capacitor, so here it is." (Anything can come from the future - somehow, you can send a guy back to 1963 - and he can make a radioactive isotope. If only he met Doc Brown.)

You know what - this isn't ****ing Bill and Ted.

Continuing my running commentary as I watch episode 2!!!

Stupidity - Cameron is so BADASS that other TERMINATORS RUN AWAY from her.

The Terminator. Ran away. Because it got scared.

Terminators are scary.

Stupidity - there are Terminators everywhere doing things. So this is The Terminator version of THE X-FILES or ODYSSEY 5. Lots of cyborgs walking around.

I thought the time machine was a really big deal in the films, so much so, that they only managed to use it twice (once for each film). Now, it seems, it's a goddam pocket smart car you can make out of rudimentary parts that predate the modern computer and leave it to rot for 40 years. :roll:

Goodness - Sarah Connor asks Cameron my question - why send them 2007. It's stupid. Turns out, Sarah died in 2005. That's why Cameron leaped them to 2007, so she'd still be alive. (Does this gel with T3?)

That is a good explanation and makes sense. So I tip my hat to them.

Undecided - Cameron is an "unknown cyborg". This might suck. It might not. Dunno.

(and back to the episode)

As long as Sarah still dies before 2011 and is cremated, I don't believe that makes anything incorrect or whatever.

Last edited:
The 'resting on the bonnet', the 'what's 9/11', and the domestic complaint with the cop are all wonderful scenes. :D

As long as Sarah still dies before 2011 and is cremated, I don't believe that makes anything incorrect or whatever.

I think it's fine she lives for as long as they want. I was just curious if it fit into T3's timeline or not.

Latest posts

Back